• Location: Slovakia

Elendilka

Slovakia
Romance is a Bonus Book
Mar 17, 2019
RIABB is a drama perfectly fitted for the period when the winter has been going on for too long, you want to something to warm you up and you are tired of tea and soup. It has a lot going for it – nice characters, great chemistry, interesting themes – but ends up only slightly above average.

At first, the drama is defined by Kang Dan-i and you root for her since the beginning. Joining back the job market after a break is a worldwide theme and when you are confronted with the heartbreaking truth of what was really going on with her, you cannot help it but be on her side. One thing this drama does so well is showing the unspoken in relationships, the things that hurt so much yet belong behind closed doors and women are often told, that that’s just how things are. I found myself crying over one of the stories of the side characters that got also divorced - her situation was so ordinary yet touching in a profound way. And the writers not only showed these things but presented us with strengths for these characters in friendships rooted in understanding and patience. There is plenty of good female friendships and bromances as well.

The core of the drama slowly shifts toward the relationship between Dan-I and Eun-ho and it’s a delight. What I loved the most was that it was shown through the everyday life, built on strong foundation, acceptance, nurture and care. The other romantic relationships formed in the drama felt also really nice and natural.

The workplace is a major part of RIABB and it’s a dream to work in. I also felt like the actors themselves had such a good time filming the drama that it showed through. There was also one mystery which I felt was a bit extra but tied into the story comprehensively. It’s a character driven drama which makes the tempo quite slow and it makes you feel the length of some of the episodes.

Overall though, I liked it and looked forward to every weekend to watch it, thanks to Netflix and the quick upload with subtitles. But I don’t think that there were those memorable moments worth coming back to that soon.

Busted 2
Nov 10, 2019
Excellent follow up to the first season, I loved it very much and did not disappoint me. The production is just mind-blowing, some of the sets and the scale of the cases is unbelievable, as well as the guests in this season.

I appreciate that they expanded the world building in this season in a way, that created a unique show, but at the same time, if you did not see the first season, you could watch this one anyway. They created a new overarching mystery using some of the guests who showed up in multiple episodes which made the interaction with the hosts just a whole different kind of entertaining. They also kept a nice balance of individual/stand alone cases and inter connected ones.

The addition of Lee Seung Gi was very nice. He has a good sense of what the audience likes and he brought in a nice dynamic. I also read that because of Ahn Jae Wook's scandal they re-edited some of the episodes and it is true that he just appears in the bare minimum, but you notice it only when you focus on it. I am glad that they kept him on and didn't make any weird zooms on the others or edit him out completely.

The second season is still very, very funny, but the funny moments are not abundant like they were in the first season. I was trying to get into it with an open mind, but I just have to comment on the fact, that it was missing Lee Kwang Soo a bit. Other than that, this is still one of the best variety out there and time just passes by when you get into it.

Touch Your Heart
Mar 28, 2019
I started this review a few times hoping to relay a message across, that is hard to describe. What I want to say is that we all watch dramas for a different reason and giving ratings to these light, fluffy dramas the same way as to the highly constructed ones should be done carefully. This drama is meant for you to switch your brain off, root for the characters, laugh out loud and love every minute of it. And I certainly did just that, which is why I rate it so highly.

Where this drama shines are definitely the characters. Not only the main couple, but especially the side characters. I loved every single one and their relationships.

KJR and OJS are the best. There is something special about the dramas where the female lead falls for the male lead first and it was done to a perfection here. She pulled the best qualities of KJR to the surface and it was a pleasure to watch them. Not to mention the great chemistry between the actors. I was sometimes afraid that my screen would burst into flames.

TYH is a character driven drama so you shouldn't expect a lot of various cases to be explored. They were utilised mostly as a background story but kept with the flow of the show. One of the plot points that was hinted at the beginning fell just a bit flat. I felt like it could have been utilised more.

The music is awesome, "Make it count" will be stuck in your head for hours. Believe me.

Overall, I loved this. And I will come back to it very often. I already miss all of the characters.

The Crowned Clown
Mar 5, 2019
This drama is just excellent. It has so many strong points - the cinematography is on a whole new level, the props and locations are flawless and everything is wrapped in mesmerizing music. The fact that the story and acting are there as well, is just a cherry on top.

I can't stop praising Yeo Jin Goo's acting enough. He made this drama for me and carried it so well. There are so many distinctions between his portrayal of both characters that is hard to believe, that he plays both. I also enjoyed his interaction with Kim Sang Kyung, Jang Gwang and mostly with Lee Se Young. I am a sucker for these kind of, almost innocent, love story.

There are so many motives here that deserve praise and attention. This drama uses things that are so often used in historical dramas, yet makes them interesting and shows them in a different light. In a way, the audience takes a journey with Ha Seon and the deeper he gets into the role of the king, the more you see and understand. The political aspect of the drama therefore is not as boring as it is in some others of this genre.

There are lumps and bumps in the story, some aspects feel rushed as it draws to a close, but it's not something that would ruin the overall well made drama. I enjoyed it very much, was looking forward to every episode and I will think about it for a long time after it ended.

Her Private Life
May 30, 2019
HPL is very special for me and it did teach me a lot. The main theme of a fangirl is something so close to many of our hearts. I especially loved how they chose an older heroine - this generation created the fan culture we know today, so that was a big bonus in my book. Also, I head no idea about the sasaeng world, that was a new experience.

The drama starts out very strongly. First couple of episodes are phenomenal, the first half of the third episode made me fall in love with the drama like nothing else. The tempo was there, there was also a lot hinted at and besides one of the best romcom couples on screen, it was interesting to unwrap all the mysteries. Unfortunately, the writing became a bit weak in the second half of the drama, notably after episode 10 or so. Writers used a couple of shortcuts that did a bit of harm to the drama in my opinion.

Also, HPL has some of the best developed relationships between all of the side characters out there. It was a shame, that one of the shortcuts was not exploring these further. in the later episodes. Mostly because in this drama, the minor characters don't feel like props at the beginning, as they mostly do in this genre in other dramas, they come off strong from the start. It is just a shame that they did not keep pace with main couple.

Now, Deok Mi and Ryan are strongest part of HPL. Their relationship is so well done and explored through patience, kindness and nurture. Also, the chemistry is just mad - I kept thinking that my screen is going to burst into flames. almost every episode.

The music, colours and overall playfulness are also a huge strong point of HPL. I was pleasantly surprised that both PMY and KJW went for it fully in this one - some of the humorous scenes got me by surprise. They both balanced the emotions so well, a joy to look at.

I think that I will come back to HPL to look at my favourite parts. However, I don't think that I will rewatch it as a whole. It is worth your time, though. I looked forward to it every week.

Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung
Oct 9, 2019
RHGHR is easily one of my favourite dramas of this year. I loved my Wednesdays and Thursdays, coming home to this. There is much to be praised, but there were some shortcomings as well.

First of all, I have to congratulate this drama for giving us a strong female lead in a historical drama, that was essential to the plot until the end. I often see in sageuk dramas, that the female starts strong and towards the end, she just lets everyone else handle the situation. This was not the case here, which made me very happy.

The theme of keeping history was very strong and even though it seemed laughable at the beginning, when they spoke about it so pathetically, the message was well received and important in the age of fake news and "believing opinions rather than facts". Massive thumbs up from me.

Other strength of RHGHR was in developing minor characters and various themes within the drama. The whole historian gang was so awesome, I am going to think about them a lot. Lee Ji Hoon shined here, as well as
Sung Ji Ru (him screaming "Mámáááá!" all the time was the funniest thing ever). The leads were cast very well, I enjoyed their performances and loved the fact, that the female lead was older than the male lead.

The additional episodes didn't feel as empty, as they usually do in other dramas. They saved quite enough agency, so it was still quite dynamic but I personally feel like some of the characters were not quite themselves and even though they tried to present it as a development, it just rubbed me the wrong way. The tempo was also a bit distorted and although I loved the first three quarters of the drama, it became a chore for me to finish it.

Nevertheless, I had so much fun, laughed aloud a lot and enjoyed myself. Good riddance, Goo Hae Ryung and please, just dip the brush in ink sometimes.

Three Meals a Day: Gochang Village
Oct 15, 2019
This edition of 3MAD was incredible. The four guys really adapted the programme into their own and you won't even notice the absence of guests. Every episode is very entertaining and I was thinking to myself: "This just cannot get any better, this is the peek." And yet, I was wrong. The hosts try to do as many things as they possibly can, not to amuse the viewer, but to have genuine fun themselves. They explore the area of Gochang, work hard, play hard and eat a lot of delicious food.

I really enjoyed the dynamic between the youngsters and the veterans, as well as between the cooking department and the facility department. They kept joking constantly and had a good time. CSW and YHJ kept a nice tempo in the show, mostly because they cannot just sit still. I loved when they played ping pong, even baseball and also the inside jokes they developed during the night time conversations.

The added benefit to this run of 3MAD is the rural area this takes place in. I can imagine that people from cosmopolitan areas have only a rough idea about how the fruit, vegetables or rice shows on their plates or in their supermarkets. The hosts do various jobs in the area and it's interesting to watch and to learn with them. They usually reward themselves with and adventure, which is just a cherry on top.

Three Meals a Day: Gochang Village is just amazing. If you want to invest your time only into one of this series, I would pick this one.

Busted
May 27, 2019
Busted caught me by surprise, I could not let it down and gulped it within 6 days with a busy schedule. I would put it in similar category as a LARP (live action role play) that is being shot on camera, but the hosts got play themselves with some character modifications.

The story is very interesting and every mystery has its charm. Personally I found a couple of episodes in the first half less interesting than in the other, which is bound to happen since not every theme could be your cup of tea, but overall it was balanced quite well.

What makes this show so great though, is the cast. They are phenomenal and work so well on the screen together. I must also add that this featured some of the most hilarious scenes I have ever seen. In some parts I actually had to pause the episode and laugh it out. Some tears were spilled as well.

It is pretty much a perfect show, I am so happy that it is coming back. I will be on it like a hawk. I am sorry however that Kwang Soo is not going to be in the second season, he was my favorite out of all of the detectives.

Little House In The Forest
May 19, 2019
This is one of the best documentaries out there. It is made out of a unique cross between real reactions of the two hosts (or as they are referred to - subjects) and vlogging "a day in my in life" type of videos. It also centres around a very important theme, happiness.

SJS and PSH were so good here, the creators really picked excellent subjects. They contrasted each other so well and seeing them fulfil the missions in their own way was not only entertaining but almost satisfying. I loved them both so much. PSH was so playful and took all the missions heads on, sometimes making them in her own rules. SJS was so hilarious. Sometimes he just did everything without a fuss and other times he sat around thinking how to approach it in such an entertaining way. I must also say that he is probably the sweetest man on this planet, having that kind of weather and still cracking jokes with the crew all the time.

I also really liked how they tailored the missions to the subjects and their reactions were sometimes priceless. When PSH had to turn off her off phone was just pure gold, as well as when SJS had to create something artsy.

LHITF is much more than a documentary. The prolonged shots of nature create unique atmosphere and the topics of small happiness warm your heart quite a lot. I did not mind the 1,5 hour per episode, it flew by I don't even know how. I got a bit teary during the last episode as well, since they showed some behind the scenes interviews and PHS became very emotional.

Being happy in your life is so very important. In the past I did not believe in happiness but I learned to find it small things, which is also represented in the spirit of this show and I agree with it strongly. I think that I will come back to this documentary quite a lot. Rain will probably remind me of it on a frequent basis.

I Hear Your Voice
Apr 16, 2019
I am still in awe of this drama. How is it possible to cram so many good things into one short series? IHYV will not only make you come back to it, but it will stay with you to think about it a long while after you finish watching it.

The main plot is just so well done and the minor cases that the main heroes solve are not self serving like in many dramas of this genre, but tell a consistent story a give you food for thought. IHYV also centres around a few very interesting tropes and small character/relationship details that keep you emotionally involved.

When it comes to characters, this is the way I imagine a strong female lead. Lawyer Jang is so gutsy, follows through even if she might be wrong and gives her everything to things she deems worthy. Lee Bo Young portrays her in such a lovable and charming way, it's a joy to watch. She also clicks with both of the main male leads and let me tell you - this is a love triangle that truly hurts. Both Park Soo Ha and Lawyer Cha are so fleshed out, strong contenders and both have such unique qualities that you root for them both in everything. I also think, having seen quite a lot of Lee Jong Suk's performances, that this is one of his best ones. Same goes for Yoon Sang Hyun who can pull such different characters in every drama in a totally believable way and his (in this case subtle) comedic ability is simply amazing.

And this is not all there is. IHYV does not centre only on love stories, it's true charm lies in developed relationship all around. The love-hate "friendship" between lawyer Jang and prosecutor Seo feels so real, as well as the relationship between lawyer Jang and her mother. And part of this is also in the way the dialogues are written - they all feel like being led between real people, with common emotions that you yourself go through in your everyday life and the drama emphasises things like honesty, fighting for the right things and truth (plus the "use" of it in the law).

Also, you just freaking hate the main antagonist. Phenomenal performance by Jung Woong In. His conflict with each of the main leads is so different, it kept me on my toes.

I would also like to praise the aspect of a coming of age perspective that is represented by Park Soo Ha. The development of the character is such a journey. The creators also throw in some little elements such as confronting your idea of someone with reality, keeping of promises despite of what you want and learning to leave certain approaches behind. These are all things that we experienced in our reality and the contrast of Park Soo Ha, who is very special because of his ability, and goes through the same is a genius move.

If I had to point out some negatives, it would definitely be the extension of the drama. This makes the very last episode sort of unnecessary and disturbs the flow of the last couple of them. There is also a few cliches used and the typical trope of kdrama timing, which are a bit of a sore spot. Other than that, there is really nothing else that I found lacking.

Overall, this is one of the best dramas out there, a good representative of it's genre and solidly written. It's also worth coming back to and notice all the little hints you might have missed during the first viewing. You should stop hesitating and just go for it. It really is that good.

Mr. Sunshine
Mar 24, 2019
This one of the best things I've ever seen. It touched me in ways I didn't expect and I think that it will stay with me for a long time. The story is very strong and the drama is made very well made but that is nothing compared to the cast and the characters they portrayed.

The five main characters are a dream to watch. You feel for them very strongly early on and even if you think that some of them are a bit extra, they get under your skin.

I loved Eugene the most, though. His relationship with Ae-sin was my favourite part of the drama. It reminded me of Jane Austen's Emma - he accepted her, admired her, let her be herself and loved her so very much.

If I loved it less, I might be able to talk about it more.

Clean With Passion For Now
Mar 10, 2019
CWPFN has an interesting story of an unlikely match. At the beginning, it's very interesting to see the story developing. Especially Oh Sol coming into herself and seeing her own value and stand up for her choices. The other characters are built up quite strongly and developing nicely. And it all just comes to a point of stagnation and stays there pretty much to the end. Not to be super harsh about it, I enjoyed this drama. It was precisely what I was I looking for - a feel good romcom that didn't require much attention.

The cast is the strongest point of the drama. I loved the main leads, all three of them. They had great chemistry and it's a joy to watch them. I loved mostly Song Jae Rim, though. His character and performance made the drama for me. Oh Sol's team members were a delight to watch as well and her family and friends, who were also very well cast.

The music is nice, there were some memorable tunes. The first couple of episodes are very funny and it's an easy watch. However, it continues very strangely - some plot points shown at the beginning are severely underdeveloped or not progressing at all. Motives such as Song Kyeol's relationship with his mother remain the same and their conversations happen in cycles about the same things. We never really know more about his childhood or about his nanny and it's very hard to follow his character. Some plot points are just straight up dead ends that could have been utilised and were not, which just makes the last couple of episodes a chore to finish.

One last note - I was quite angry when Song Kyeol came back after two years, being all like: "I just can't see now why I made such a fuss about that clean in the past." Mental illness is not something that you can sweep under the rug after two years of therapy, dear writers.

The Great Escape: Season 2
Dec 27, 2019
The second season of The Great Escape is excellent. The crew has really blown it out of the park. The world building is expanded and many cases are built on what happened in the first season. Yet, at same time, if you are new viewer, you are not missing anything. They also tried to enhance the plot of the show, bringing in some wild cards such as the possibility of not escaping from the complexes or that one of them could "die". This makes you feel some sort of urgency and you root for everyone even more, than in the previous season.

I have to comment on a significant improvement of all six of the hosts and the way that the crew matched their evolving abilities. Some of the episodes, although still about escaping, are quite different from the typical "let's empty all the drawers and find the password". This also makes the ones, who were struggling the last season, to be the key players in some episodes and it really shifts the dynamic in the team from episode to episode.

The bromance is still amazing, as well them being quite the role models in displaying friendship and the fact that being scared is okay.

What a triumph this season was! Amazing, well worth my time.

The Great Escape
Dec 16, 2019
The premise is straight forward, you watch six celebrities escape from large scale escape rooms, but The Great Escape is much more than that. This is show is very entertaining, funny, quite suspenseful and it makes you care a lot about the hosts.

It is not very rare to see a well working team in Korean variety, but here is a whole another level. They have a common goal which makes them work together, show their best abilities and cheer for each other every time they discover something. This is amazing, because it keeps their spirits high and also you get more into it because you sincerely root for them.

Every escape room (or in this case we can refer to it as "escape complex") has a specific theme. Naturally, you will not be interested in every complex the same, but none of the episodes are boring. I would also like to compliment the editing team on this one, because even though the members get stuck on some clues sometimes, the episode is still seamless, rarely drags and the tempo is there. Not to mention the sheer scale of TGE - I was in awe several times with the props and entrances to some secret passages.

As for the humor, the general rule is - the scarier the theme is, the more entertaining the show gets. There are a lot of inside jokes because they constantly refer to previous funny situations. It is also remarkable to watch them becoming pros at escaping. At the beginning they struggle a lot, being stuck in a tiny room for several hours, but in the last couple of episodes they develop the sense for hints and clues, and it is a joy to watch them.

Lastly, I would like to mention the healthy bromance and male representation. I love that they make it okay to be scared.

The Great Escape is in fact really great.

Boarding House in Spain
Oct 20, 2019
We all had this situation happen to us. We are far away from home and suddenly, we start to miss even the little things, but mostly home cooked meals. The premise of Boarding House in Spain is just that, to provide the traveller with some comfort and it leaks through the screen to your home, wherever it may be.

And oh my, this variety show is very difficult for the hosts. They had so much to do and were quite understaffed (Hae Jin had to get help from on of the on-site producers several times), that I think, if it were any other hosts, they would not make it. All three of them are so hard working, so entertaining and so sweet, I just can't.

The first couple of episodes reflect this. They are all battling jetlag (which they don't mention, but you can see it quite well) and they get to know the hostel and its surroundings. As a European who recently made a visit to Korea, I could totally understand their baffled expressions around some of the differences in produce, but they work around it excellently. Also, hat off to Jung Nam for taking notes on everything and practicing his Spanish enough to get by, and even make fast friends with some of the shop owners. He might be a scatterbrain in the kitchen, but he was very well organised when it came to the though stuff. At first I didn't know what to make of him, since he is a lively person and the dynamic between him and the other two was different than what I'm used to from the other varieties they have done, but he is very endearing and likeable.

After a rocky beginning, the hosts get a much need needed injection of positivity from a great group of pilgrims on the fifth day. After that, I felt that Seung Won became his usual self and he started to be interested in his mischief, and the responsibility of cooking that much every day got a bit lighter on his shoulders.

As for Hae Jin, his job was very varied, plus he had to make some impromptu stuff out of wood for the hostel as well. I admired that about him and mostly because he carried the humour and good spirits around him even when the situation got rough. I just love this man, and the crew adored him so much as well. They just laughed around him all the time and it makes you genuinely curious about what he is up to. Also, he is just so charismatic outside of the format of the show and makes parts of every episode a sort of video diary of his own, when he explores the surroundings during his exercise routine.

To make a kind of summary, the show settles into a nice groove after the first two-three episodes, but as a whole, it's excellent. I wanted to keep it as a casual watch, but instead, I gulped it down in 5 days. You will not regret investing your time into this one, it is worth it.