• Location: Asian

Psychosinner-MRS-HYDE

Asian
Children of Nobody
Jan 18, 2019
The thing about this show is that starting from the first scene right to the end, there is nothing that can be considered filler content. Nothing is done without reason. You are given a puzzle of a story but the truth is it's not about the answer to the puzzle but about the things you learn getting to it. In a time, where people only want guilty pleasure and happy happy happy, this show gives a voice to so many children who are ignored every day. I'm one such survivor and this story got to me in a way that is hard to explain. Children of Nobody. Can there be a more heartbreaking phrase? The actors made it so you get lost in the fantasy and even root for the villain at times I believe that was the point. That people lose their way. N's story was the saddest and no spoilers but I'm glad finally in a TV show this topic was touched. Honestly just a phenomenal script and acting I wish there were more like this one.

Swing Kids
Feb 10, 2019
This movie started out a bit strange so I was expecting a disaster but in no time the plot kicked in and then just whoa! This is the kind of movie that gets to the bottom of the human psyche, of the mechanics of war, and how riled up armies don't "win" ANYTHING but a false sense of power. Wars happen because we stop seeing the other person as a human being. And when that happens false ideologies are used by cunning, greedy, power-hungry masters to drive the rest into a prison that only looks like freedom. War casualties are not power, dead bodies are not strength, and torn nations are not trophies. It's just a few people at the top using these cruelties to get what they want. That's the message of this film. Yes, it's a tragedy. Yes, the dark humor is always grotesquely funny because humanity survives even war and plague. As for the rest of the stuff, like I said beginning is a bit wonky but just stick with it. All the actors did a good job. All the characters were fighting their own fights. DOs dancing... Just wow. This was probably one of the best things to cast an EXO member. So, absolutely watch this movie.

Memories of the Alhambra
Jan 22, 2019
This show is so trippy I totally got hooked by the very first episode. And even though it starts out becoming entertaining because of the mystery aspect, there's a lot of depth to the story which I loved. It's the story of trying to overcome your trauma and for once the characters act like people who have suffered trauma. Both physical and emotional. Hyun Bin plays Yoo Jin Woo a tech hotshot with two broken marriages, who is rude and overbearing. Through chance he gets involved in the life of a hostel owner in Granada played by Park Shin Hye who happens to be the older sister of a genius game designer played by Chanyeol. To give out anything about the plot would be a spoiler tbh so I'll just talk about the other details and things that I liked. First off great acting by all the cast. The cast was picked well even the supporting cast you fell in love with. The shots are beautiful and the script is good for the most part. The concept is unique and the execution is not bad. The only thing that felt somewhat anticlimactic was the ending. But Hyun Bin is so handsome and just gorgeous! I could have watched a hundred more episodes. Especially that one episode where he's completely desperate and goes to his office to start the server and encounters the real side of his boss who once kicked his own son out for monetary gain. That scene the way it was shot, just heartbreaking to watch. And then all the sadness regarding the constant struggle between the friends only because of that one awful person. And especially jinwoos secretary, he was my favorite character! Even when he started playing and their banter, and Hyun Bin says "do you like me" lol and he responded with "I have a gf" I was laughing and crying! So it's the kind of show you really get emotionally invested it. That end if it was second season bait I'm fine with that but on it's own I think a proper conclusion would have suited this one more. But hey that's just personal preference and it didn't change my actual viewing pleasure of the show at all. I wish Chanyeol had a proper role considering he's a good actor! Regardless, I was not disappointed with the show at all and in fact would have happily watched more episodes. Another thing I want to mention is I love the subtleness of the love story. It didn't feel forced because the characters started to feel love when they actually developed a rapport and as a viewer you don't feel cheated because it feels natural. Also, the love story is not too fluffy which I think is perfect for someone like me to enjoy. The mystery part is more prominent. And it's a good mystery, really well done. Overall, a unique dark drama but darkness wise it wasn't as dark as The Smile Has Left Your Eyes or Children or Voice or Save Me. It was mild comparatively.

One Spring Night
Jul 12, 2019
Started out so well, and then the main conflict gets resolved around the half way mark and the drama loses it way, and gets buried in cliché. The will they or won't they is the most integral part of any rebound romance story and if you take that conflict out, it's hard to sustain a story for the length of so many episodes. And you can hate me for it, Jung Hae In is GORGEOUS but he wasn't convincing at all when he was supposed to show sadness, like otherwise he was fine, but a lot of actors, are not great at everything but they are great at showing sadness which for a show like this and for kdrama in general was very much needed.

Maybe because of this and the lack of real conflict in the second half I ended up not buying their relationship AT ALL and both the characters seemed to feel unfinished and not well thought out. Acting wise though the rest of the cast was really doing well and you know there's something wrong with a drama when I was honestly siding with the ex lol seriously the two son in laws should have just hooked up they were so good together. Seriously, I really got involved in the other sisters story a lot more. And the sociopathic son in law from hell the actor was so good and all the actors who played the sisters same, I liked both the sisters! Especially the youngest, she was badass.

The problem with a story about cheating couples is if you don't have characters who are conflicted about their emotions and they show some emotion for the ex is what makes the character a worthy protagonist for a romance. If they say they have no feelings for someone they were with for four years not only do they sound self serving but you also are unable to believe they will be any different in the new relationship. Like you waited till you had a hot guy with a stable job to leave someone you claim you didn't have feelings for yet you were sleeping with them? And saying you'll get married, I mean the guy didn't even do anything besides 'not give her enough time' when he was in a business meeting! ! Is she going to resent the new guy when he cancels on her because he was working?

I mean I did not buy she was going to continue to be 'selfless' long term with the new guy it's just a matter of time.

Another thing that also became annoying was the fact that the perceived 'villain' in the story, the ex, was the not really evil and the stunts he pulled become so lame you're left watching a boring story because look the villain actually has to win at something to be a convincing villain! Lol here none of the 'villains' or the antagonists were actually scary and everything got resolved through a single conversation, lol literally, like that's why I was so bored.

That said I did enjoy it but mostly because Jung Hae In is GORGEOUS and I liked the cast, the ex even I felt bad for him.

Woman of 9.9 Billion
Jan 23, 2020
Warning

This review is full of spoilers.

Korean crime drama all have the same trajectory - crime gets committed by good main characters which becomes entangled into something more evil, and then the real evil people are only there to justify the main characters role because 'I'm bad but not that bad' and then naturally they'll meet another character, possible shipping couple, and then you get unpalatable amounts of lecturing along the same lines 'don't do crime kids' and then the villain gets their comuppence. Everything from Watchers, Voice, to Psychopath diary, to Gap Dong, ALL follow this same pattern and no one besides me gets bored? Lol i dont understand!

The only ones that broke the mold -- WHITE CHRISTMAS. And HELLO MONSTER to some extent because at least it was obvious Jang naras character was being judgemental and self-righteous to some kid who grew up thinking that killing was the norm. But Seo in Guks character DID NOT which makes more sense and is more realistic because things change drastically when a sibling you think of as your own baby becomes a murderer. Even DUEL was extremely nuanced. Save Me. Children of Nobody. The Smile Has Left Your Eyes.

But that was years ago!

These dramas had nuance and complexity. I see this frequently in Jdramas like off the top of my head Aku No Hado, SCAM (Scum), Todome No Kiss, death note, Bokutachiga yarimashta, and even DYING EYE , again most of these are CURRENT DRAMAS or a year old at most.

But this preachy self-righteous lecturing really isn't the mature way to do things imo.

So, naturally this drama was no exception.

That said I was truly entertained watching this drama and Lee Ji Hoon s characters death gutted me. As did pretty much all the cast performance at some point. So I will say this, acting and direction was great no doubt. But the script was really just a very typical Korean crime drama.

So, not terrible but nothing memorable either. They kept killing people off because the story was just so bland so all the death of the brother and Lee Ji Hoon was so pointless! No character acts the way they were set up and the so called 'growth' felt more like the characters doing something really convenient to bring about a plot twist. Eh. Okay I'm done lol

Teiichi's Country
Nov 24, 2019
Don't be turned off by the description, it doesn't do this movie justice. Basically, this is more than 2 hours of extremely hot men standing half nude, and slapping each other's butts, and extremely hot men having bromances that are not only hot but beautiful, and extremely hot men going around being extra and being crazy and also delivering a beautiful, captivating story with a heart. The dialog it's etched in my mind it was so beautiful, especially toward the end. It's funny, with some dark humor, and some touching, emotional moments and the writing is so good! And Suda being extra af is just my happy place lol

SHINee's Back
Feb 4, 2019
I really loved watching this during the comeback promotions and I really enjoyed their conversation and Key making a meal and Taemin showing off his non existent driving skill lmao ???? seriously and it was touching watching their days pass during live stages. But the best thing about the whole show was getting to see the members Minho, Onew, Taemin, and Key really enjoying their time together. Shinee has always worked hard, no matter what, they've been through so much and still stand tall. Nothing makes me happier to see them shine.
The Smile Has Left Your Eyes
Nov 24, 2018
This is just one of those dramas that will scar you for life and you'll be happy for it because apparently you have masochistic tendencies. Go figure. I'm in love with this drama and needless to say Seo in Guk I don't know what he's doing to me right now but I'm a total mess after watching it. God, it was EPIC from start to finish. EPIC. Subtle when needed, and melodramatic when needed. It's just something thAt doesn't come by every day. Which is something I've realized after trying to find something to take me out of this dramas world but not found anything like this that I haven't watched. Very close to Hello monster feeling wise just replace Jung So min with Park Bo Gum. Both shows are at the same level of highest possible rating even though cinematography wise TSHLYE is better. And Hello Monster begins like a rom com with Jang Nara this one has a more subtle, stylish, edgy look. It's phenomenal.

The Hymn of Death
Feb 4, 2019
"Before your name can be forgotten
I long for you again. "

There's nothing like a drama that makes you cry not just during the sad scenes but also the happy moments. Because it means the words aren't the only thing evoking that feeling of sadness but also everything that you're witnessing on screen. From the shots, to the actors subtle emotions, to the soundtrack, this drama makes you feel. A starcrossed lovers story that reminded me of this Spanish film Little Ashes about Salvador Dalí and Federico García Lorca. I feel there's a lot in fact in this drama that will remind you of Spanish films in general. So, anyway that's how good it is. And truly the most beautiful thing about Hymn of Death is that it feels less about the actual characters portrayed and more about the struggle broken people face when they try to live a life of love and passion. In fact, even more beautiful was the way both the leads cried in many different moments, but don't shed a single tear in the entire last part. Like, that's PHENOMENAL. Because I was still a heartbroken mess for the entire last episodes.
Must watch for anyone who truly appreciates art.

Theory of Love
Aug 25, 2019

Okay my honest opinion.

I liked it, a LOT all of the men were freaking gorgeous and total eye candy!

And you know I really like Gun, and Off, White, Mike, and Earth, he's so hot. But when I kept watching I found something was off. And I couldn't put my finger on it and then during a scene it dawned on me why I'm not able to like Off and Gun's chemistry as much as I should. And ok, there's a few reasons for this.

Gun's character pissed me off for a number of reasons.

First, I got the SAME feeling I got watching Tin Can! I know Third keeps SAYING he loves Khai but the thing that used to ruin my viewing pleasure of Love by Chance was that Can seemed borderline homophobic! And Third was THE SAME.

I don't know what it is but there was no conviction in Can's eyes that he was actually enjoying being in close proximity with Tin, and Gun was the same. Like none of their kisses felt REAL. And it definitely wasn't Khai's fault just as it wasn't Tin's fault and their characters actually end up being better people than they were, there's growth and the love feels SINCERE.

This is why I love Shao Fei and Tang Yi, Knock and Korn, Jack and Zhao Li. And even not my favorite but you gotta give it to Ae Pete, Kris and Singto, because both sides CONVINCE you that they freaking are obsessed with each other, every gesture shows it.

And the reason even though I absolutely adore Addicted, I think the character of Gu Hai gives me the same uncomfortable feeling when Tommy Huang seems so sincere and heart felt.

I don't know if this is the fault of the director entirely but yes, they do have to be responsible for not choosing the right person or not making their actors comfortable or whatever it is.

Anyway, I'm still rating it high because despite this fault, this is a good story that I think you should absolutely watch because the script was really good and kind of honest.

But I also feel that Gun's character was again, supposed to be SINCERE, you keep hearing about it, but the only sincerity he does is toward some guy who is super hot and who he doesn't even like as much, but Khai was sincere with him from the beginning, and it's not cheating on Third because they're not in an actual relationship!

Another thing that MAJORLY bugged me was that they kept calling Khai a whore and the insinuation was that he's a bad person because he sleeps around and Third is a good person because he doesn't!

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

This is such bs.

So, yes. Entertaining but also problematic like Sotus with their 'bullying is actually good for you' narrative. You have to give it to Love by Chance, Tin and Pete both slept around in their pasts but were never judged for it. Honestly, even bromances have better chemistry than these characters, Hello Monster, Seo in guk makes you feel he'll die without Park Bo Gum and Bo gum is the same. The Guardian bromances, just freaking awesome to watch, The Lost Tomb is full of bromances that will make you feel and love and cry and care about them.. Seondal, Xiumin and Yoo Seung ho. In Family We Trust. The list is endless.

So, it's not impossible.

Oh, and by the way I absolutely adore Two and Aun! Freaking gorgeous and great chemistry! And actual good people. As for Bone, he's gorgeous, but his story line was fine but that ending, just made the entire relationship with the teacher pointless.

Anyway, so that was my honest opinion.

I still liked a lot of it and like I said some of the parts were really sincere and the writing is good.

Failing in Love
Dec 11, 2019
A warm fuzzy drama with one of the best casting and direction. Son Sang Yeon played the role so well, he was just adorable and genuine and in fact the whole cast is like this. I got so involved in the characters and there was just the right amount of emotional depth and I love that the main focus was always the friendship. It shows how we sometimes take what people say at face value even when it's just a broken person trying to cover up their trauma. And how hard it us sometimes to ask for help even when you desperately need it. And that love is love whether it's for a friend or a partner. And the most amazing part was the way they kept the 'who will she pick' conflict right till the very end so it keeps you guessing and when the conflict does get resolved, it's just the most beautiful way to end it. The script is so poetic and only keeps getting better as it reaches the end. One of the best surprises I received this year!

Scams
Dec 8, 2019
This is by far the BEST scammer ~ con-artist drama I've ever seen! Gorgeous men and angsty and a touch of dark humor, and Sugino Yosuke looks like the kind of guy who you just want to take care of and protect. So watching him do the scams is both fun and makes you anxious lol because living vicariously through his character is a given because SCAMS is so realistic when it comes to the nature of crime and especially scams, you'll find yourself in the same place as him because what happened to him has happened to us all at some point. I've seen scam fiction a lot and most of it gets super preachy, and even when it's full of action like Squad 38 the writing fails in many ways because it just feels like someone is giving you an hour long lecture on 'crime is bad' even the recent Dying Eye failed for me in that aspect. And why I prefer Aku No Hado and Scams instead. They're way more mature. Anyway if you like con artist fiction do watch this though it can get pretty dark. And I have to mention - I am crushing on Otani Ryohei BIG TIME. XD Can you say Call Me Daddy one more time lol sorry i m awful I know ^_^

Coffee & Vanilla
Dec 5, 2019
The reasons I rated this drama so high.
1, Sakurada DORI.
6. Sakurada DORI
7. Sakurada DORI

And did I mention SAKURADA FREAKING DORI

XD

If that's not enough of a reason, well okay I know most people can't stand the idea of insta love so what can I say, MORE DORI FOR ME YOU LOSERS!!!!

XD

So now that that's out of the way I just thought this drama was well made, full of eye candy and the couple had chemistry and it's not the most brilliant writing but it's not bad writing either. This is very much guilty pleasure wish fulfillment at its finest!!!

Before We Get Married
Aug 24, 2019
Jasper is so SEXY it's UNREAL.

I have to say because I legit fell for the male lead I'm really biased even though there are definitely a bunch of issues but for me it didn't really take away from the viewing experience and I had so much fun.

The skin ship is just the best you'll see and the leads had chemistry.

Another problem was the sudden disappearance of Jaspers friend because I got so involved in him and Keifei's arc seeing her with someone else just didn't work. But again I still enjoyed it overall.
The Miracle
Jul 8, 2019
Watch it for the nostalgia bro! If you don't already love Shinee and EXO and Taemin and the other artists it's probably not going to be as good for you but for the fans like me this was something to watch for sure. Tbh parody wise not as good as Shinee over flowers and Shinee SNL stuff, or Big Bangs hilarious kdrama send ups especially their Coffee Prince is epic because TOP and GD kissing lmao! Even EXO stuff, or 2 PM stuffs, but it was for a cause I think, if I'm not mistaken.
Anyway, so yes definitely watch if you are a kpop fan!