• Location: US/Poland

Linus

US/Poland
Thirty But Seventeen

by Linus

This show was cute and sweet, yet annoyed me with the cliches and makjang story to no end.

The only reason why the plot moved at all was because of a series of situations where people kept missing each other, or simply didn't connect the dots. All the information, people and props were there, but the script annoyingly made the characters miss all of that due to either bad timing or because people didn't ask enough questions. It's so common and so overused in kdramas that I couldn't get into a story at all. I'm sorry, but if you let someone stay in your house for the night or longer, wouldn't you actually try to ask as many questions as possible? The story had great potential, but I feel like it treated fate in a very not realistic way. It's almost like suggesting that a tragedy is not a real tragedy unless all the characters involved are somewhat a part of the tragic past. The show could have had a deeper message, but totally failed to deliver. Seo Ri's story was tragic enough and could stand on its own without all the extra details. I just can't stand how shallow it all ended up being.

Essentially, I had a tough time getting into this drama. It got better with time, but the pacing wasn't all that great. I also didn't particularly care about the characters (apart from Seo Ri) until about 1/3 of the drama. To me, that points to the fact that the writing wasn't all that great. The show had some really sweet moments, but the sweetness couldn't really compensate for the lack of the actual plot development. The characters were lovable but a bit simplified. Also, as much as I liked Jennifer, did her character really need to be that weird?

The best things about this show are the characters, the acting of the leads and the music. The music in this show is beautiful. The classical pieces were beautifully woven into the story. I liked Thirty but Seventeen because it wasn't too angsty and there weren't too many mean characters or meddling family members, but I expected it to be a bit better.