• Location: 독일

xXabsintheXx

독일
The Silenced
Feb 3, 2016
I was kinda surprised by this movie.

Overall, it's not really a horror movie. It starts like one, with all the suspense, dark corners and those special asian girls crawling on the floor, all wet hair and moving strangely. At some point I thought it was something like 'A Tale of Two Sisters', but it's not.

But the turn in the middle of the story was quite a surprise and left me less anxious. I was more relaxed while watching but it was nevertheless still exciting. In fact I enjoyed it even more. The beginning was a bit too calm and maybe a bit boring. I guess the producers were trying to create a really oppressive atmosphere but that didn't work out that well. Therefore the second half of the movie was more interesting (although a little more suspense couldn't have hurt).

Focusing on the little details... The scenery/setting was quite nice. I enjoyed looking at the places and the school. Also the make-up. It didn't show much but it was effective, well placed and did add to the atmosphere.

The acting of the girls was also a plus (not the principal though - too hollow). I'm starting to recognize Park Bo Young's skills. I already saw her in 'Oh My Ghostess' and 'Don't Click' and I liked her acting so far. And since I didn't watch 'A Werewolf Boy' yet, I guess I have to continue with that one.

Don't mind my rewatch value. It was a good movie but I don't think I will watch it again.

D-Day
Feb 15, 2016
Despite all the other good reviews, imo the drama was not perfect. Therefore my rating is only 8. But that's still good, so no need to worry.

The only reason why I started D-Day was because I heard that amazing song on youtube, Jung Dong Ha - That Day. I was sooo moved by it that I just had to watch the drama behind it.

Ok, where to start... the good things? Doesn't really matter, right?

What I was most impressed by from the very start, was Kim Young Kwang. I only saw him in Pinocchio and Yong-Pal before and he didn't stand out that much. But here, woah... His acting was so strong that I almost fell for him. Seriously. (I don't like curls either, but it made him very handsome, too.) Many other actors/actresses did also a good job, although not all of them. And I don't like Ha Suk Jin. He just opens his eyes so strangely wide when something schocks him, that I couldn't take him seriously.

Lee Kyeong Yeong's character on the other hand... Well, I hated that guy the most. Seriously, never hated a person in a drama like I did here. And still, in the end I liked him the most, because his 'departure' and change was the best of them all. He didn't fold completely. He may have understood his wrongdoings, but he still maintained his personality and conviction what made him look even more human. In most dramas, the bad guys changing at the end seem like they changed their souls or something. But not in this one and I was very pleased with that.

Another good point of this drama were the surguries. There were alot of them and thank God most of them didn't have a dramatic showdown, though many of them were quite dangerous and tight in success.

What else... the scenery or better said the special effects. It was a drama but that didn't stop the producers from doing a great job on those. You can see that they put alot of effort into the realistic view of the distaster and that was just candy for my eyes.

What I also liked was that there were not only black (bad) and white (good) people. There were many grey persons, too, like someone who is trying to help, but in order to do that he has to make some difficult decisions, even if it means to become the black sheep among them.

Also, not all of those who did bad things were punished. That makes it even more realistic.

Another plus? I just like the main pairing! They were great together and really cute. I wish there would have been some more 'cuddle/hugging' scenes or something. My romantic heart wasn't well served!

I guess, now we have to go the things that made me rate this drama an 8.
First of all, I know that a situation like this, a distaster is not only ruled by heroes but also by individual fates and people who start acting only intuitively which implies the ever first rule: Self-preservation/survival.

But nevertheless, many wrong behaviours just seemed too excessive. And with every new episode I was getting more and more annoyed by the director's attitude which didn't even budge an inch. At least once I wanted to see his pride as a doctor.

Well, that's it. No matter what and despite this one point of criticism, I still enjoyed D-Day (I had to cry alot, too.). Only my rewatch value is a bit low. Don't take it the wrong way, I just don't think I will rewatch it. Listening to the song mentioned above is quite enough for me.

Chief Kim
Mar 31, 2017
I went into this drama because of Gung Min and didn't know what to expect, but was so glad in the end - and not only because of him. This is a drama that entered my top 5 list without me realizing it. It caught me off guard in a good way. It's actually not so much about the story but the characters. And in a way story and characters are bound to each other like: One half doesn't work without the other. As the story goes on, you will love each and every one of its "puppets". Even the bad guys. You will enjoy watching them grow - for better or worse - and you will anticipate every new encounter. You will find yourself lost if you don't see them at least once a day.

I'm normally not a fan of comedy dramas, but I made an exception for this one since it captured my heart in an instant. The producers were some smart dudes, when I think of how they displayed the comedy parts. Of course there are your obvious jokes, but it still manages to not look too exaggerated. Then there's comedy that is subtle and looks like it doesn't want to be funny, but it is nonetheless. And then there are hilarious incidents within all the seriousness and you can't help but laugh about it, but at the same time you feel something like pride and satisfaction.

Nevertheless, this show is about corruption and it is certainly not only made of happy and/or amusing moments. It also has a knack for creating suspense in its very own way. It's hard to explain but once you watch it, you'll understand.

You don't like business dramas? There's no romance, why start this thing?

Let me tell you some reasons:

- Nam Gung Min
- Lee Jun Ho
- Jeong Hye Seong
- Dong Ha
- Im Hwa Young
- Kim Won Hae
- Jung Moon Sung
- ...
... I could probably list the whole cast but I think you get my intention.
...
- clever, well done comedy
- an unusual bromance you'll adore to the core
- strong female characters
- strong side and guest characters
(- of course also strong male characters - don't let us forget about them either)
- many surprising, unexpected, freaky turn of events
- a business story about corruption that is well executed an told with a good balance between comedy and seriousness
- maybe one or two lessons for life itself

One word to describe this show? Rewarding. In every way possible. A surprise drama and highly recommended.

Shark
Aug 25, 2016
I am so overwhelmed by this drama that my review probably won't do justice to this masterpiece. But I'll try anyway because it seems that many people rated this drama only according to its end. Believe me when I say that this is one of those dramas that is completely underrated.

The story is a common plot among all those revenge dramas out there. Han Yi Soo takes on a new identity after his father was murdered. After years he comes back to Korea with a fully prepared plan in his mind. In order to get the one responsible for his past misery he is determined to use that one's granddaughter Jo Hae Woo, his past first love from his teenage days.

What makes this drama so perfect in my eyes is that every detail harmonizes with the other entirely. The story, the twists, the actors, the music, the cinematography.

Although the basic plot is not an unusual one, it still keeps you chained to your seat. The way the scenes are merging and continuing so smoothly makes you more curious with each passing minute.

But the story itself wouldn't work without those remarkable actors who put so much life in their characters. At this point the first ones who are to be mentioned are Yun Joon Suk and Kyung Soo Jin who portrayed the young versions of both leads. Without them it would have only been half a joy watching this drama. Their chemistry was overwhelming and laid a great foundation for their adult co-actors (Kim Nam Gil & Son Ye Jin) who did an equally amazing job in showing that deep special bond their characters shared from the first minute they'd met. All those moments/scenes where they were together was in a striking contrast to the rest of the story and kinda felt like floating in the air. Their encounters always left a deep impression on me.

What strikes me most is Kim Nam Gil. I've never seen anything with him before, therefore I had no idea what I was getting myself into. But after watching this drama I'm completely convinced by his talent. Not many actors are capable of showing sparse facial expressions and still manage to deliver everything the viewer needs to feel the character's pain, suffering, inner turmoil and determination, or whatever he's feeling.

The most beautiful part of Shark (next to those wonderful tragically romantic moments of the leads) is its unique, outstanding OST. All those well placed songs just complemented this already brilliant drama.

Believe me if you've ever contemplated to watch this, don't hesitate any longer. Just start it.
Like I mentioned at the beginning many people were not satisfied or disappointed with the end. In my opinion it was the most fitting finish I've ever seen in a k-drama. If you pay enough attention right from the first moment, you would see it coming. Throughout the whole story are so many small details that point towards it - like a red thread. You'll see that any other ending wouldn't cope with the rest of the story as well as the actual one did. Not at all.

I for one have fallen in love with this gem. I hope you guys will enjoy this ride as well.

Aug 18, 2016
I want to write a review about this beautiful drama so badly, but I don't know how to start although there are so many things in my head I want to tell you.

At this point I may be already biased in judging this drama objectively. I won't tell you guys to go watch this if you haven't done it yet. It's not possible for everyone to like or love it (what kind of drama can actually do that). It's also not perfect, I admit that. But despite all that I was highly entertained and mesmerized by this one and have a hard time containing my fangirling over this.

Is it truly this awesome? Yes, for me it was. It's like Healer in sageuk style. Not much similarity but the same charm that will capture your heart. The same way Ji Chang Wook convinced and bewitched me, the same way did Lee Joon Gi. Before starting their dramas I had either never heard of them before or didn't complete a drama with them yet. So, I was walking into this drama without a fangirling heart for the leads but ended up getting one.

Not much to tell about the story since the summary is already saying everything, although it's not quite accurate and a little misleading (as summaries always are, imo). But see for yourself if you start this drama.

What I liked about The Night Scholar was in fact the story-telling. The impressive and shocking beginning, the introduction of the characters, the way new events were unfolding and leading to new plot twists... and most of all it seemed like the drama always knew what I wanted to see next. The writer(s) should be complimented for giving me that kind of feeling (of a fangirl that doesn't care for logic but only wants to have her way with the characters) and still make the story work properly and logically.

As I mentioned before Lee Joon Gi was impressive and found his way into my heart. His display of the vampire Kim Sung Yeol was great. His turmoil, his growing love, his overcoming over his past love...

The other characters grew on me, too. Kim So Eun was great in portraying two different characters, esp. the conflict of her second role here. Shim Chang Min and Lee Soo Hyuk did a solid job of their roles as the Crown Prince and the evil vampire Gwi, and the supporting actors also did their parts well. Not outstanding but a solid, (most times) convincing performance.

The reason I didn't give this a 10 is simply because there were times when I wasn't fully convinced with the fights. For a mystery drama the special effects were really good. But as for some battles and confrontations... sometimes they looked a little too staged and/or forced. No matter how much I enjoyed this drama I couldn't overlook those parts as they were continuously knocking against my head. But on the other hand big compliment to the make-up artists. They did a great job with all the blood, the look of the vampires and everything else (esp. the ugly duck turning into a swan scene).

Putting that aside... Let's talk about the music. Great plus as most times in sageuks! Harmonizing with the story and making the scenes look even more emotional. I'm already in love with the OST.

Phew... looks like I still got to say all the things I wanted to tell, haha~ Hope, you enjoyed this review (although it got quite long...), despite the fact that it might sound biased.

Ohhh, wait! Before we go on with our lives... Can someone please admire the scholar's garbs?

Sadako 3D
Jun 7, 2017
Well, well...
Totally mainstream horror movie if you ask me. Nothing new, predictable story with typical horror tropes and characters. Something you can watch with your friends for fun. Even watching it alone wouldn't get you a heart attack.

Slow and calm start but it sped up in the second half. The finale was actually quite entertaining. And sometimes even a bit scarily disgusting to a point where I had to cover half of my face X'D Ah, I'm such a loser... Nevertheless, it didn't give me any lasting goosebumps after the movie ended.

Cinematography was pretty good and I liked the blue overlay onto the scenes. CGI was... completely obvious and almost comical.

Shocking moments relied on the 3D effect. But since I didn't watch the movie in 3D, it failed completely. I'm not even sure if it would scare me that much IF I had watched it in 3D. Everything that was meant to be 3D looked like plastic.

I can't compare this to other Sadako stories, since I only watched the American version of The Ring. This movie was only average and definitely no "must watch".

Sigh... I might even lower the rating although I liked the cast, actually. Ishihara Satomi and Seto Koji did a good job with their roles although there was not much to work with.

Splash Splash LOVE
Feb 5, 2016
This little drama was so sweet!

Ok, the story itself is not a new one. It's not really a surprise how it will turn out. But nevertheless it was quite enjoyable. And at some point I WAS a bit surprised because for some seconds I really thought the ending would be another than what I was anticipating. A little turn of events that made my heart beat faster.

I think what I enjoyed most was this kind of Joseon. Everything was a little lighter, the atmosphere was not as dark and intriguing as in those other more serious historical dramas. Not so much whispering and treason and whatever. The plot was more focused on the young king and the girl. The development of their relationship was so amusing and sweet and I caught myself smirking everytime they were together. I smiled along with them alot, when they were happy about something. But there were also some sad moments where I almost cried.

I liked the acting alot, esp. the king (although he was not an eye candy for me). Still, he convinced me and earned my recognition since he was partly responsible for that sweet romance that both lead actors displayed so well. (But seriously, do you know the feeling when you think the Joseon style looked better on the guy than the present one? :'D)

Ah, don't forget about the little reference to another historical drama that made me giggle in delight.

(Music rating is a bit low because although it wasn't bad, it could have been a little better, something to remember)

I’m Not a Robot
This was the fluffiest and cutest thing I've watched in a long time, and it also made me remember why I used to love rom-coms so much.

I actually didn't want to write a review about this because there are already so many of them out there which capture the magic of this drama quite well. But there are so many things I liked and loved in this drama that I somehow needed to write all these things down myself.

There is quite a large amount of crime and suspense dramas out there lately, that it's hard to find some distraction with a good rom-com, and I was hesitant with this because of Yoo Seung Ho. He has already proven that he can act with other dramas but he's also the master of crying - and that not always to his advantage. Whether directors demand him to cry to his heart's content or not, sometimes it's just too much for the drama. But with his latest project it seems as if I discovered him all anew and he did won me over with this big time.

The story evolves around Kim Min Kyu who is allergic to humans. One slight touch results in life-threatening consequences, and because there doesn't seem to be a cure yet, he has to be very careful to never touch another person. Therefore he lives in isolation and loneliness and has developed some kind of friendship with his cleaning robots over the years. Just then he finds out about this new human robot with an AI and decides to test it out.

There is nothing like a unique and new idea in this world and people might be reminded of "AI", "I Robot" or "Bicentennial Man" with this show. But when it comes to K-dramas, "I'm Not a Robot" is still a fresh concept. It won't focus too much on the AI topic, but more on the romance part, and therefore doesn't dive too deep into "conscientious invention for the next generation", even though it might graze those things in a very superficial way as well. For example, there are the geeks who invent for the sake of creating new things that can be helpful for humanity in a peaceful way, or the evil guys who only see money and war toys.

Whether Kim Min Kyu's illness might be too far fetched or not is hard to judge. Maybe it sounds unbelievable the first time you hear it but... ever since I started working in the medical field, I developed this thought that we will never be able to know of all the diseases in the world. There are so many which are not yet discovered or very rare illnesses the majority of people don't know of. And who knows, maybe there really is someone like Kim Min Kyu, too.  For me, the drama was able to deliver that subject well enough to buy its story.

Of course, it's not free of clichés and it's very predictable. But in a good way. You know what will happen, you anticipate it and you're happy when it's indeed happening in the end. This drama doesn't always follow reality, it's still a fantasy (and Korean!) drama. Sometimes it might also have some logistic miracles, but seriously, who cares. It's too much fun watching Kim Min Kyu and his experiences with this very human "robot". When I say, you will laugh your ass off, you definitely will. It's been a while since I myself laughed that hard, that often.

What makes this drama so great are its characters and the cast who did an incredibly smashing job. You will find yourself attached to most of them in no time, and you will have this constant grin on your face whenever you see the leads, the research team (and it was so much fun seeing Uhm Ki Joon play a good guy for a change, too) or that little robot that reminded me so much of Little Groot! Too sad it didn't have much screen-time. The female lead's friend and also her family added a lot to the fluff and comedy, and even though I didn't like the brother in the beginning, his timid behavior grew on me quite fast, too.

As I mentioned before, Yoo Seung Ho literally blew me away in this. His looks/styling were dashing and his acting was cuteness overload without getting too cheesy. He managed to show a plausible transformation from a lonesome boy who fears the contact with other people to a guy who slowly learns to build a relationship with another person. His reactions to new experiences was heartwarming and once in love he became endlessly cute. His crying which I always fear in dramas, were kept in line. It was well balanced most of the time and only one or two times where it was a tiny bit too much, but I don't want to nitpick. I'm more than happy with what everything else he gave me here. And wow, he had such an amazing chemistry with Chae Soo Bin. I loved her in Rebel and was excited to see her in this drama. Both of them delivered beyond my expectations. Especially Chae Soo Bin must be praised for her performance of her human character Jo Ji Ah and the robot Aji 3. I was able to tell them apart very easily and create a bond with both of them individually. I'm even a little sad that the robot didn't have that much screen-time. I would have loved to see more of her.

I usually don't mention kisses but I was quite fixated on them here. I don't even know why, maybe because I can't remember Yoo Seung Ho's previous drama kisses or because I'm always nervous about them in general because they can either be a hit or miss. But don't worry! They were a pleasure to the eyes and to the heart. Lively and cute at the same time.

The only ones I was a little disappoint in, were the bad guys. Kang Ki Young for example. I liked his acting whenever I saw him in a drama. But here he was... how shall I put it... too bland? It didn't reach me, it felt subdued. As if he wanted to show that he can also take on other more serious roles but failed to express the necessary emotions. His character was kind of "flabby". Maybe he is better off playing funny guys. Same goes for the whole conspiracy plot in this drama. I wasn't convinced even one second. The major problem was probably that it didn't get enough screen-time to build a proper ground. On the other hand I won't complain much about it either because I was way more happy to see the leads all the time. I know, it's a contradiction but I can't help it. And since this drama is just another rom-com, I didn't expect much depth in its evil side anyway.

Phew, I wanted to keep myself short on this but ended up going too much into detail. If you were able to read through all of this, let me thank you for enduring this long text. I hope you enjoyed reading my thoughts and maybe will start this drama yourself~

Star of the Universe
God, I just bawled my eyes out (silently, of course).

That was such a sweet little drama to watch. Even though there are some things that doesn't add up or weren't enough explained, I will forgive the story its flaws since it only had 3 hours to build up the whole thing, including the fast romance part.

Everything else was fluffy and funny. The female characters might have been stereotype, exaggerated  and a little too childish but some of them still grew on me. Most of all the lead and the ghost. I was especially impressed with the leads acting and I'm excited to watch more with her. She has some real potential to pull of some awesome roles. Her transformation (also the visual one) throughout the drama, from someone who looks like a witch in training from Wicked, to a fangirl that almost faints at the sight of her idol to a girl who experiences her first love, was fun to watch, even though it might not be realistic.

Suho who plays the male lead... Well, he might not be the biggest actor of his generation (yet?) but he did well enough to make the story work and make me care for his love story. That he can sing is a given considering that he's EXO's leader (=frontman?). I'm wondering if he would be able to manage more difficult roles, too. So far his acting is not sticking out from the crowd.

I really liked the visual aspects, colors and cinematography, and the directing style which totally added to the fluff but also to the heartbreaking scenes. They even had some unexpected side twists at the end, I wouldn't have guessed at the beginning.

I totally liked the music. Not only the Korean song that were sang by the lead himself but the whole contributing part of songs that carried the mood. Instead of underlining the story with instrumental pieces or other Korean songs, they used well known English hits. I loved that. It was kinda different, and even though I usually don't like that in dramas, here it kind of gave me a nostalgic feeling due to the fact that I recognized them and my own fangirl period.

Of course, quite a generous rating from me again but I don't regret watching this. A short piece of fluff and lighthearted melo, but worth it if you don't mind minor flaws and remind yourself that this is nothing too deep.

Stranger
Aug 3, 2017
“In each of us, two natures are at war – the good and the evil. All our lives the fight goes on between them, and one of them must conquer. But in our own hands lies the power to choose – what we want most to be we are.”
- Robert Louis Stevenson

“You take people, you put them on a journey, you give them peril, you find out who they really are.”
- Joss Whedon

If I were to describe this drama with one word, it would be:

Misleading - complex - secretive - slowly seething - engraving

Yeah, okay. Those were not only one word but five. But as difficult as it is to categorize each character in this story, it's also impossible to find only one word or one saying that would cover every beautiful aspect about this whole show.

Hwang Shi Mok, a prosecutor who lacks the ability to feel any emotion since a surgery in his childhood, and Han Yeo Jin, a police lieutenant, team up to fight corruption in the prosecutor's office. That pretty much describes it all and the summary above is also very accurate about the key points.

-- Misleading --
I admit that I was a little skeptical and hesitant before I started this drama. Prosecutors and corruption. Not again... But my worries were groundless. Even though this drama is indeed about those things, the whole set-up differs alot from your usual k-drama structure. Sometimes and especially in the beginning you might think that many things are predictable. But you will soon be disabused. You'll learn that every scene, every move and every obvious incident has always two maybe even three faces to them. You can never be sure about what you see right in front of you.

-- Complex --
The characters in this story are as cunning and sly as the story around them. There is not one person you can be certain about and only the finale will reveal everyone's true nature. Only at the far end you'll see the whole picture. So, be aware of the fact that you have to pay a lot of attention.

-- Secretive --
Imagine each one of these people as trees with many branches - long and short ones, thick and thin ones which symbolize their every wish, desire, greed, ambition and so much more. Everyone hides in the shadows. Some of them stand in a light grey, others in far darker places. But it doesn't automatically make them bad people. And I loved that the drama conveyed that as well.

-- Slowly seething --
The story flow might seem a little dragging here and there but you shouldn't forget that this a drama that focuses much on the corruption in the prosecutor's office and never loses its way. It's "slowly seething", as I was describing it in the beginning.

-- Engraving --
The music is subtle and so well set that you are left with deep impressions every time an episode ends - even though the narrative flow might seem slow-paced. And let me tell you that this drama has one of the most captivating final episodes I've seen so far.

-- Forest of Secrets --
Never was drama title more accurate.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we should find in each man's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility.”
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Confession of Murder
Aug 10, 2016
It's been awhile since I watched this movie but since it's one of my favorites I wanted to review it.

Park Shi Ho is one of my favorite actors, so watching this movie was a must. And although I didn't really know what I was getting myself into back then, in the end I was convinced to the the fullest. Story, actors and cinematography. I wasn't worried about Park Shi Ho. He's a great actor. But all the other cast members also did an awesome job. They went very well together. And that was one of the most important parts in this movie because at the end it drops a midsize bombshell, putting everything in a new light. There was not one moment where I suspected such an ending. I knew something wasn't right but my suspicions didn't even get close to that solving. The movie definitely surprises with some nice ideas.

Cinematography and scene editing: Thumbs up! No rushing, no stalling.

There's nothing to criticize on my part. The overall package is self-consistent. Lots of action and many thrilling moments, surprising turns and even some humorous parts that doesn't seem out of place. Stunt choreography was brilliant and never looked posed.

I for myself was wholeheartedly satisfied with this one.

School 2017
Sep 5, 2017
I never watched the Reply dramas nor did I see the other compilations of this School series (2013, 2015). So, I can't compare them and I don't think it's necessary anyways since all their stories stand on their own. Because I was never interested in school dramas, I didn't want to start this one either. Only the trailer got me curious enough to try it out.

And I'm so glad I started this.

The story itself is nothing special or unique actually. You have your usual tropes, clichés and unbelievable problems, but the writers still managed to pull off a captivating and engaging script that doesn't let go - in addition a cast that did an amazing job with their assigned roles.

Each one of them gets slowly introduced to you, some earlier and others a bit later. I liked the pace they kept with those because it helped building up my sympathy for them and made me care for their backgrounds and problems - why they acted the way they did and whether I could relate to them or not.

I was quite happy to finally see Kim Jung Hyun in a leading role. After his impressive appearances in Jealousy Incarnate and Rebel Who Stole The People, he deserved a good script and the opportunity to shine more. And he did! He was cocky, wicked, short-tempered, smart, childish, funny, charming, lovely. The perfect hard shell with a soft core. He twisted me around his little finger way too fast - not that I mind.

Kim Se Jung. I think I was never more impressed with a young new actress who doesn't have much experience so far as this seems to be her very first decent role after acting school (there's only one guest role listed on her profile and I don't want to count that one in).
She blew me off, if I may say so. She pulled off the role of a feisty, strong-willed young female student who fights for her dreams and friends with such confidence, that you might think she did acting ever since she was born. Believe me, I'm not exaggerating. Kim Se Jung has great potential and I'm sure she will become one of the big ones one day.

Jang Dong Yoon was another new face for me and like the other ones, he convinced me with his acting from beginning to end. I'm already excited to see more of him in the near future. Same praise goes to the rest of the cast as well who harmonized quite well with each other. You start to like some of them more and other less, but that's the plan anyways, right?

Most of the teachers are already experienced Sunbaes, so it's not surprising that I can't point out someone who actually failed at his or her performance. Their characters' bad behavior spiced up the story, of course, although not all of them were bad people. But I'm a little sad that most of them stayed flat with their stereotype impression of your usual villains.

The part that actually made me deduct points in my rating was the final 'battle' and the fact that they sketched ALL the rich people as the power abusing, unreasonable jerks we already know from other dramas. I would have loved to see at least one or two exceptions.

So, overall a highly enjoyable drama that encourages you to root along with the good guys and maledict the bad ones, while a sweet and caring storyline completes this average yet exceptional drama. If you're looking for something lighthearted that manages to raise your blood pressure in a good way nonetheless, this is definitely the right choice.

Oh, and before I forget to mention this:
Skinship looks very natural as well. The leads had chemistry that got even me excited.

The Guardians
Jul 12, 2017
I think the overall theme for this drama is "What are you willing to do to get justice? What lines will you cross to get your revenge? How far are you letting your grief drive you?"

And in that way the drama tells a phenomenal story. Although I wasn't hooked by its first episodes right away, I grew to love it to bits even though the basic summary doesn't differ much from other revenge dramas.

What makes this so special are its characters and the construction of their stories - and the bond between them. Like the plot is built up in layers, so are its partakers. Every detail is played out so well that you're stunned when you reminisce about it. It makes you excited to watch each twist unfold, to guess and to see whether your predictions come true or not. And it never lets you rest. Each turn of events is shocking, moves you to tears or riles up your emotions to an unknown degree.

What I loved so much in the acting of the characters were those subtle, tiny expressions, almost too small to notice but you DO notice them. There is no one who is truly good or bad. Everyone has their flaws and inner fights and struggles, and sometimes the selfish desire wins over. It shows how good this drama is, that it makes you focus automatically, so you won't miss anything. One big strength of this drama is that it makes you try to imagine to be in their shoes. You might think that you will never extort to their lengths and methods but deep down you have to admit that you can't be hundred percent clear about that either. Human instincts are one big mystery and only if you face such situations yourself, you'll learn some new truths about yourself.

Thinking of the cast makes me seriously happy because everyone, and I mean everyone, did such a good job with each and every role they were given. It made you enjoy all their interactions, either good or bad. A big shout-out at the young teenage actors, too, because they were utterly amazing! Also one of the best villains I've seen in a drama. I always prefer the calm, smart ones over the impulsive stereotypes they use so often. And Lookout has one intriguing badass whose gaze gives you the chills because he's just so incalculable. He's like fog where you can't see far enough.

Though all of them were amazing, the one who gets the biggest bouquet of flowers is Kim Young Kwang. He is simply surpassing every role he's done so far. His character was so well written and his performance was mind-blowing. And I'm not even exaggerating. He played Jang Do Han with such perfection and perception that I can't wait to see more of his acting in future roles with likewise impressive characters. I don't even want to talk about this too much, just watch it yourself and let yourself be mesmerized.

Also, Lee Shi Young. I was five minutes into the drama, and she already knocked me off my socks. She's such a badass female lead who makes you root for her almost all the way through. She is strong and no matter what happens stays to her beliefs. And although it might become a lonely fight, she never willingly depends on others but takes matters in her own hand.

I did have some issues with the last episodes which is why I can't give this drama a full 10. But I was still very satisfied with its wrap up, and to know that it's over now, makes me shed a tear or two.

The Age of Shadows
Feb 11, 2017
Have you ever watched Gaksital (Bridal Mask)?
Then you'll probably get a good idea about the time this movie is playing in. A Korean citizen (or Joseon person as it was called back then) who joined the Japanese forces and became a high-ranking police officer. And a group of Joseon citizen who secretly fight for their country's independence.

What I noticed about those kind of Korean movies is that they take their time to tell their story. It is very slow paced as the first half of the film is being used to set every detail in its proper place and to build the overall construction. So, don't let yourself be fooled by this phony silence that only tries to hide the inevitable threats that lie in the shadows. They will explode once in a while and keep you excited.

Although I could sympathize with people who get bored because of its long and calm progress... If you allow yourself to dive into this foggy story you will be rewarded at the end. You won't see it coming until it's already happening. Then you just sit there, watch blankly and feel that undeniable pressure in your chest.

As the movie shines with many ~high-ranking actors, there's only one that truly outclasses everyone else here. And that's Song Kang Ho. I already watched some of his other movies but never was I captivated by him the way I was here, with this performance. I didn't notice it immediately. But suddenly one scene, one moment, one gesture. And he killed it. And me. He caught me off guard and brought me to tears.

Sadly, I can't say the same for Gong Yoo. He was good, no doubt. And he also had moments where his character shined but his overall personality stayed too shallow. Even Lee Byung Hun's short appearance had more impact on me.

If there's one other thing I would complain about, then it would be that I missed some more light on the actual situation of the Joseon people during that time.

Altogether:
Recommended for those who have patience and don't mind slowly enveloping stories. People, who are interested in this period of time. And for people who don't mind a little blood. There's no exaggerating amount of it but some scenes make me advise you to not eat while watching if you're sensible to those things.

Tunnel
May 22, 2017
This drama was definitely one of the nicer surprises I had this year - within all those other ones I was anticipating alot more, Tunnel actually managed to better its quality from episode to episode.

In the beginning I wasn't really interested in this and then people started to compare it to Signal, calling it a cheap copy of it. That made me curious though and I wanted to see it for myself. Now I thank everyone for indirectly making me watch it - because it's nothing like Signal except the time slip theme.

At first glance the synopsis doesn't appeal very interesting, especially since there are so many time traveling dramas out there recently. But once you give it some time and don't reject it right away, the story will definitely trigger something inside you. That's at least how I felt about this. I started with low to average expectations and ended up with fulfilling satisfaction.

The acting in this started really ordinary. It wasn't bad, but it didn't make me drop my jaw either. It solidly carried the story, as you might say. Choi Jin Hyuk started off quite indifferent, for example. But as episodes went by, he slowly managed to grow on me and make me sympathize with his character alot, especially in the second half. The same goes for Yoon Hyun Min and Lee Yoo Young. Both of them are actors I haven't seen before. I think it's alot more difficult to convince viewers who don't know about a respective cast of a drama and therefore don't crazily fangirl over them. In this case I didn't know about the leads and they were still able to convince me and make me enjoy this drama more than I had hoped for. The more I went into the story, the more I got entangled with its figures - in a good way.

Without telling too much, this drama also has an interesting villain who might not be someone new, but surely piques your interest and makes you excited about his character.

Objectively speaking, I would actually give Tunnel a rating of 8.5. But due to my surprise and personal entertainment I added 0.5 points to it. Hell, this drama is not free from flaws, I admit that. There were some things in the script and about some behaviors, I got angry about because it was flat-out unrealistic or stupid (excluding the time traveling thing, of course :P).
Then again, despite those minor matters, there were other things I happily accepted and which made me overlook the deficits. For example satisfying police work. Hard working officers, most times logical procedures and well done investigations. And the most important thing: No corruption! (a trope I got so tired of). It was also great at connecting and balancing crime and drama, the reason why I got so emotional many, many times while watching.

Other things I really loved were the side love stories that captured my emotions and the background music which was used so well and adjusted so perfectly that you even notice the improvement of the scenes through music while watching and listening.

There are of course also surprises up its sleeves. Some people might be able to foresee them but I also think that the drama did a good job at revealing certain already known or predicted things to its characters. And it did a good job at confusing (at least) me quite well, too. Or let's say it managed to make me think too much about possible turn of events. And no matter the outcome, that feature added completely to my enjoyment.

Cinematography did a really good job many times as well as scene flow and editing/cut. There were moments where I thought "Oh, nice! Well done!".

Conclusion of this one: Tunnel is definitely worth the watch if you are able to overlook some minor flaws. There are still many things to enjoy and be excited about. And one thing: This has one of the best final episodes I've seen so far.