• Location: 독일

독일
Criminal Minds
Oct 8, 2017
Boring, cold, emotionless.

I'm surprised at myself for finishing  this. It's hard to describe what went wrong here. The drama failed in so  many ways. The team never connected on a deeper base, the cases were  interesting in their core but the writing and execution sucked. It was  never able to build enough suspense to make me excited/worried/eager to  watch more.

Don't get me wrong. Some of the individual cases  were pretty gruesome and interesting (and I was shocked how violent they made them look) than what I would expect from a  k-drama. But most times it still left me cold because the writers extended the investigation part way too much while (at the same time) were still not able to explain the profiling part in a comprehensible  and gripping way. It felt like getting food thrown at your face.

The cast 'looked' amazing but their roles were written rather poorly and appeared choppy. If this would have been my first drama with those actors and actresses, I wouldn't be interested in any other drama they starred in. Dialogues  sounded boring, the tone of each voice was always the same monotone  sound which lulled me into sleep. Some of the background music were not  helping either. I missed emotions so much here. And I missed those tiny personal  interactions between the leads. A wink, a look, some short random remarks. I don't know.  They sounded like a bunch of people who  successfully memorized their texts... Which is why I couldn't connect to  any of them. They were so one-dimensional.  I admit that sometimes it  looked like they tried to be more, but... well, it wasn't enough.

They did have some kind of steadiness: Constant  stagnation.

And what ending was that? The finale felt flat. Most times I'm quite satisfied with the main villains in dramas. But this one? Nope. There are actors who are able to pull off EVERY damn role they are given, even the bad ones. And they are able to shine in even those. And then there are actors who only suit certain characters. The actor for the main villain in this show failed to impress me - solely because his acting and his appearance together failed to capture an otherwise intriguing figure.

I'm familiar with the original series this one is based on, but I'm not a regular follower. Though occasionally I watch one or two episodes once in a while. And I have to admit that I'm more satisfied with their cases than I was with this show, even though I'm not deeply connected with the leads in the US version either. The reason why I stick with the show when I stumble upon it while zipping through the channels is because I am glued to one special bond between two of the leads. And because their cases feel more compact which leads to a more intriguing investigation. Well, if I want to, I can go into more detail but I think I made my point clear.

So sad this failed to reach my expectations. I so wish I could say something positive as well, but there's nothing I can think of. Everything that started out good/interesting became rather boring quite quickly because they stretched the developing process too far, didn't show crucial details in the leads' behavior/facial expressions and slow/dull scene editing...

But I did like the ending song!

Voice
Mar 13, 2017
Lately I've become disappointed with OCN dramas and I was hesitant to start this one. Now I'm glad I did though.

The summary sounds like every other crime drama out there and I won't say it's different from others either. But in the end it depends on the script writing and the execution - and the acting, of course.

So Jang Hyuk's and Lee Ha Na's characters team up to catch a killer that murdered their family members. Both of them work at the emergency call center. That doesn't sound quite thrilling now, but let me tell you that the producers did a great job to get you excited about it immediately. Because the Golden Time (the first hours after a crime occurred and is reported to the emergency center) is one of the most crucial parts in hopefully solving a crime or prevent worse ones (i.e. kidnapping cases). And what is special here, is Lee Ha Na's character's ability to hear more than others. Due to an accident she developed some kind of supernatural hearing that allows her to hear more than others - even through headphones.

Right from the beginning the drama holds the suspense on a level that definitely makes your heart race. Fast camera movements and a good timing of scene editing ensure that.

I can't say that this drama doesn't have any problems. It's still a k-drama and there are some flaws and again sometimes the police just looked stupid. You also have those characters who you want to punch because their behavior is so wrong when it comes to being professionals. But! There are also characters that I didn't like but who grew on me during the story, no matter that their behavior went into opposite directions.

I also must admit that the story had some problems in the middle and lost some of its speed. I also think that the killer's identity was revealed too early in the drama which caused a big slow down as the story went a bit into some shady business themes. Although this doesn't mean that the killer's charisma wasn't engaging. He was a great psycho who gives you goosebumps.

The whole acting of the cast was fantastic. From the leads to supporting characters to guest roles. Especially the latter. They captivated me during their short appearances in the drama and made every single case into something special. I never found them boring. They were thrilling and emotionally moving. At some point they were even more interesting than the main plot.

The finale completely made up for the the middle part though. It picked up the speed and suspense again and let the drama end in an enthralling way.

Cheo Yong 2
Jan 23, 2017
I loved season one of Cheo Yong. The story was interesting and thrilling, the characters very likable. So, I was excited when I heard about a second season. But in the end I was rather disappointed.

Every case started with a ghostly incident and I admit that those were kind of creepy. Especially when you watch them at night, alone. Unfortunately each one of them couldn't hold the tension. Of course, they had their interesting parts. But I got bored many times during one episode and just wished for them to be solved already. The suspense falls by the wayside. Sadly, that pattern doesn't get better until most of the drama is already over. Only one third of it got me hooked, honestly.

It's a shame that the ghosts become something like bystanders who almost disappear after their introduction at the beginning of every episode. They should have gotten bigger parts, it's a drama about a ghost-seeing detective after all. That one student ghost who accompanies the police is just not enough. Though I like the actress and the character she's playing... She couldn't save the day either.

The main story is evolving almost too late, considering that the drama has only 10 episodes. The saddest thing though is that is has almost nothing to do with ghosts. Solely speaking of the basic concept of that certain case, it WAS interesting. But it still missed the point and had so many flaws in its execution. Again, it should involve ghosts... There was so much potential and so many wasted opportunities in the last episode where they could have integrated those things.

I had also a hard time with scene editing, story telling, sudden conclusions that appeared out of nowhere, confusing plot twists and the way they portrayed Korean police. Like there's only this one police squad of five people that doesn't call for back-up while storming a secret gathering? Or experienced officers who mess up a crime scene? Yeah, whatever... I know that it's somewhat like a drama cliché. But there are dramas where it doesn't look so bad.

Acting was solid most times. Not too bad, nothing special either. But I had a hard time with that new female member they introduced in this season. She had her good parts, too, but still couldn't win me over in the end.

I don't regret watching this since there were also some very funny parts, but all those flaws mentioned earlier didn't allow me to rate it any higher.

Miss Granny
Feb 7, 2016
Actually, I didn't want to watch this movie at first. It didn't sound that interesting to me.
I gave it a shot because Kim Soo Hyun has a guest role in it. But I totally forgot about him when I started the movie.

Shim Eun Kyeong is an extremely talented actress. She doesn't have the usual flawless beauty like all the other ones hence her acting stands out even more because she can capture her fans, her viewers with her skills alone. She doesn't need extreme beauty. She has great harmony with her co-actors and that reflects on the screen.

I gave a rating of 10 because I just can't find anything to critize. I enjoyed it from beginning to end and I had to laugh so many times. I had to laugh, I had to cry and I was able to plunge into beautiful music. The songs alone make it worth watching the film. (And damn, I never saw a more beautiful baby than the one in the backflashes)

If there is any long-lasting meaning to the film, it has to be that no one should regret his past decisions and be proud of the hardships he/she overcame in the past. Everyone gets old and no one should live his life in regret. Make the best of it.

All in all, a really touching, enjoyable movie that I highly recommend.

(The ending is hilarious, btw! hehe...)

Secret
Apr 7, 2016
Well, I think sometimes it's important at what time you watch a drama. I'm not talking about morning, afternoon or night. I'm talking about the mood you're in. When this drama aired I was interested but I didn't start it right away. It went on my list but at some point I almost forgot about it. So, now, after watching so many crime dramas and other genres, I kinda misssed the good old revenge melodrama. And there it was, Secret. Right in front of me and it didn't fail any expectations.

Since the synopsis is what made everyone curious about the drama first, it's not like you were thrown into cold water. So, of course I knew what was coming. After showing the key incident, the drama starts quietly to show how everything began. After that, most times it just evolves in a way you maybe already foresee - but in a good way, it's not getting boring or someting. It's more like you're anticipating every new development as you want to know whether your judgement was right or not. It's also not without surprises. There are plenty of surprises as well.

What makes the story and the drama so valuable is the cast. Seriously, this awesome cast! Except for Ji Sung and Bae Su Bin I didn't know anyone of the actors here (ok, some of the supporting roles I've seen already somewhere else, but that's not the point here). I only knew Ji Sung from Protect The Boss where he was really good but didn't make me follow his work further. And as for Bae Su Bin... only saw him in 49 Days but can't recall his acting there since it's been too long. So, at the end I was very surprised by all those astonishing actors esp. him. He totally nailed his role here and kinda changed my view of him. So, overall all of them never failed to impress me. Whether it was the bad guys or the good guys or the good ones who turned bad or vice versa. At no point I was ever annoyed by their actions or behaviour whether they acted just like jerks or hypocrites or threw stones in the good guys' ways. I could always comprehend their actions and even loved those moments.

In the end that's the most charming point of this drama, the acting, plus a good script. There are some scenes where you think: 'If that didn't happen, things would have turned out different. She would have ended up with someone else.' It's rare, that I have those thoughts about a drama.

Furthermore, you can actually see the character development here. Not from one person or two but everyone. That's quite enjoyable because you don't have to worry that one of them might fail your expectations. I have to admit, some side characters remained a bit shallow and at some point it bothered me. But in the end I think I can forgive that. (I'm even a little surprised at how the company thing turned out in the end.)

If I had watched this drama when it aired, I don't think I would have had the same feelings towards it. Don't get me wrong, it would still not have effected the rating. Just the feeling would have been somewhat different although I don't know how to explain it.

At some point I thought I wouldn't want to rewatch the drama because the same anxiousness wouldn't be there or at least be the same as the first time. But now I think different. The first half of the drama was very intriguing, watching that vengeful person slowly turning and not being able to resist any longer in the end.

So, to cut it short: I enjoyed this drama very much!

Meloholic
Dec 8, 2017
The opinions about this differ quite alot which is why I want to add my two cents as well. Because despite some quite low ratings - and by no means am I judging anybody since everyone has his own taste - this was a nice drama to pass time. It's not a masterpiece but it's also not a complete failure either even though it has some problems.

I'm always careful with dramas that put soul-switching/multiple personalities (or whatever you may call it) on their front page, and it depends on the writer's skill whether I will like it or not. I have not yet seen Kill Me, Heal Me (but I want to), so the only other drama I can compare this to is Hyde, Jekyll and Me which has also some diverse opinions. I don't want to scare anybody away from this drama just because he/she didn't like Hyde, Jekyll and Me. There are not much similarities, I only felt slightly reminded of it in the beginning.

At long range Meloholic has its own charm. It starts as a rom-com with a silly student who doesn't care to feel embarrassed while confessing his love for his girlfriend in front of everyone - with the most cringy method ever. Of course it leads to the guy getting dumped. After an incident he achieves the ability to read the minds of women by touching their hand - ONLY woman that is. Later on he meets this girl that seems so different from everyone else he's met over the last years (of course there is no other girl that wears her heart on her sleeve - therefore as we all know it doesn't need further explanation how and why the leads will fall in love, right?). Crucial point about this girl though: She has two personalities and therefore doesn't want to date anyone.

It sounds kinda like your default premise, doesn't it? Well, I won't deny that. And throughout the drama you won't find any unique tropes at all. It's the same chair with just another covering. Even the crime case that suddenly pops up out of nowhere is nothing new anymore. BUT it spiced up the story quite nicely.

It was well connected to the romance plot and moved the story forward. It subtly gained more weight until the right time was near for it to come to the fore. The more you got to know about it, the more thrilling it became. There were only two things that bothered me. It always looked like they wanted to hide the culprit until the story was ready to expose him. But it was pretty obvious who it was since early on. That attempt to hide him was too strong to be trustworthy. The second issue was the finale. Some nonsensical decisions took place that marred the otherwise well done crime.

Because of the additional crime theme the psychological part of the romance and personality aspects is kept short and superficial, so don't expect any deep analyses of dissociative identity disorder or telepathy.

If I had to mention something positive, it would be the comedy. Seriously, I'm quite picky with that one, but I liked it in this drama. Even though it was pretty daring sometimes (yeah, call me a prude but some of them went overboard), it made me laugh out loud other times. And even though it's being used in every drama by now, I still can't get enough of that whiny puppy sound they play whenever a character is showing his puppy eyes.

Okay, let's get to the cast.
Kyung Soo Jin. I love her - like forever. The first time I saw her in was Shark. She was already in her mid-twenties but played a high school girl with so much confidence that it made me remember her for future projects. It's so nice to see her play adult roles because she's capable of so many versatile characters which I just confirmed with this drama again. She is playing two very different personalities stuck in one body. Believe me, you don't recognize the previous personality when they are switching. She's pulling off that role so well that even though the script doesn't allow her to deepen the character, she still manages to breath life into Han Ye Ri/Han Joo Ri. If it wasn't for her, this drama might have become one of the few I would have dropped eventually.

Why? Because whereas there were other entertaining traits, the male lead was a huge turn off. I can't exactly outline what bugged me. His acting was really strange sometimes and it felt awkward to watch him. Especially the kisses. Even though they became a little better towards the end, it was still not enough to satisfy me. There were times when I thought that he looked too much like pervert, although half of it was intentional for the comedy. Maybe... another part of my annoyance might also have been his character. Except for breaking promises he made to his girl, the biggest failure he kept doing was holding her hand to check her thoughts - whether she does say what she thinks or is lying. That's the biggest betrayal of trust you could actually do. If you truly care for your girlfriend, you have to trust her. And if you can't help but to touch her (of course you won't be able to hold back at some point in a relationship), wear some goddamn gloves (even more so tell her about your ability).

Other than that - although it might sound like a contradiction - the leads did have chemistry. I enjoyed their lovey-dovey behavior at times. It was cheesy and exaggerated, but still kinda cute.

Choi Dae Chul, who is playing a university prof and the non-related Hyung of the male lead, is my personal highlight in this drama. He was a pleasure to the eyes and I was fancying over him throughout the whole show. Can he get a lead role in an awesome drama, please?

As I already mentioned before, the finale was a real letdown. It had inconsistencies, stupid decisions, default dialogues, convenient accidents, more stupid behavior and one of the most common drama clichés ever. Even the villain became low-carb food in the last minute.

While my review started out quite positive, it became rather critical mid-way. I have to admit that I'm quite torn about this drama, but I also enjoyed it in some way. If it weren't for Kyung Soo Jin and Choi Dae Chul, my rating would definitely be lower. Half of the show only worked because of those two. And the crime. And the comedy. And the subtle waving between those two genres.

It's hard to say whether to recommend this or not. If you're into the male lead, then you will probably enjoy this alot. If not... phew, you have to decide for yourself whether you can cope with the male lead and still enjoy the things I highlighted ;)

Missing 9
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine going to a restaurant, ordering a sirloin steak which you haven't had in months. Your mouth is running watery while ordering the dish and as soon as you swallow your first bite, you dig into it as if you have starved for months.

Then when you're halfway finished with it, the waiter suddenly takes your meal away and puts the most common dessert in front of you. You know it, you've eaten it so many times and you like it because it's delicious but you just don't want to eat something sweet now. You want your spicy, juicy steak back. But that won't happen. And that leaves two options: Swallow the pill or cancel the rest of your meal. If you do decide to continue eating, be aware that at the very end you might bite on a forgotten nail or something. It sounds disgusting, I know. But don't say I didn't warn you.

One of the worst things that can happen to a drama is mixing up genres the wrong way. You always have one main genre and only glimpses of other ones. It's important to stay true to your roots and never let any side genre take over. Because if that happens, it will ruin the mood like nothing else, especially if they allow the most common plot holes to occur along the way. The story becomes sloppy and all over the place and you just feel like being on a very bad trip. One part of you feels angry and frustrated, the other one feels pity for the impressive first half of the drama that got you so damn invested in the story.

I know that I sound very negative right now and many might wonder why I still gave such a (relatively) high rating considering everything that went wrong. Well, as I said before, those first 9 episodes were almost brilliant. And I would recommend them without a second thought. After that it feels like a sharp clean cut and everyone has to decide for themselves if they are willing to watch the messed up rest. I finished this drama because I was curious about that ending everyone was complaining about. Well... it was indeed something I would have never imagined. It's not explosively unexpected, it's more like the tip of the iceberg after a chaotic and way too long aftermath.

I gave this drama a 7 because there were many things I really, really liked. First of all of course those first 9 episodes that take you on a thrilling journey full of surprises and "what the hell"-moments.

Then those 9 survivors. Believe me when I say that the actors were doing a great job with their characters, most of all Jung Kyung Ho who I avoided for a long time. I didn't even like his role in this at first. He was pissing me off and I never expected to grow fond of him. But I did. He became my most favorite character, along with Baek Jin Hee's role. Those two had amazing chemistry till the very end, and regarding every relationship I've seen in dramas until now, they have become one of my dearest. I loved how they became fond of each other, how they supported each other. I loved their warmth as well as their teasing, and I loved how they encouraged and gained strength through each other. But most of all I loved how Seo Joon Oh (Jung Kyung Ho) became a better person through Ra Bong Hee (Baek Jin Hee).

The music is playing an important role in this drama as well because it literally takes you away. It sets the right mood when the show drifts to the island and focuses on every single person, their endurance, their personal development and different realizations while facing extreme hardships. After listening to it again, it reminds me of Hayao Miyazaki's movies. There is something dreamy about it within the instrumental pieces.

Sometimes their time on the island didn't seem to take itself serious and the group looked like they were on a picnic trip or something. But those scenes never lasted too long, the anxiousness remained and unfolded in no time afterwards again.

After those incredible 9 episodes you get thrown into your typical k-drama world filled with clichés and plot holes and an unexpected overwhelming comedy that makes the drama look like it doesn't take itself serious any more. While confronted with corruption from all sides (one of my most hated tropes in dramas), they behave like they got all the time in the world, calmly chit-chatting at home and meeting up in public as if there's no danger closing in at all - but the villains don't seem as clever either. Not to mention the ridiculous ending that will only hit you during the last five minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I loved most of the subtle comedy parts as well, if I look at them individually. But in combination with the first half of Missing  9, it felt off and ruined the initial expectations I (and probably many others) had. The mix between mystery and later corruption/comedy didn't go well in my eyes.

A few things that remained the same (thank god) were Joon Oh's and Bong Hee's special relationship, me growing fonder of them every time they appeared on screen and those genuine talks between two characters, filled with meaningful closeness and honesty. Contrary to everything that went wrong and could have made me drop the drama, those few consistent things were strong enough to keep me at bay and complete the drama. I've seen way worse than this. What makes this drama such a disappointment is the brusque change in the script that started off great in the beginning and remains brilliant in its core.

Love O2O
Jan 30, 2017
What a hard time rating this. I had to compare it to Boss & Me and... Love O2O is in no way inferior to B&M. Both of them have their flaws and slow pace, so I think 7.5 is a good rating for them. This is based on a webtoon/novel as far as I've heard. And after watching this, I can imagine the webtoon being the exact same way. The drama follows that basic romance concept many shoujo-mangas have. From beginning to end. So, it was quite easy to guess how the story would unfold and also end. It only varies in their executed subtleties. As for the pace... Like I already mentioned in earlier posts, it's very slow. Though the beginning was more interesting and thrilling in a certain way, the second half becomes very weak. It was an up and down as repetitive trouble for our leads kept appearing, and not all of them could hold my excitement. Romance part is clear and straightforward. Regarding its execution... It has its sweet times, that even make you blush sometimes but it also had some problems with showing passion in... certain moments. I enjoyed some of the characters alot although they were quite stereotype. The one I grew fond of the most was the male lead. He will linger in my memory a very long time.

Mermaid
Sep 7, 2016
Well... I was quite irritated when I started watching this (and almost dropped right away).

The first reason why people would actually get interested in this movie must be that beautiful poster. Hands down, they did a great job with that. But don't get your hopes up if you expect something epic.

The story is quite simple. A business man is developing a new area and in the process is killing mermaids whose existence he of course doesn't know of. Therefore the mermaids send their most beautiful girl to kill him. That doesn't go so well because she falls in love with him - and he with her. Of course.

Well, storytelling is as fast as a high-speed train (write off authentic feelings). The scenes are completely exaggerated and (in the beginning) went over the top. After a while though it achieves a balance and holds its ground to a point where the jokes are getting quite funny. There are some hilarious moments that really stuck in my mind. And suddenly the story turns from comical to sober within seconds. The movie takes on a new perspective and shows some really nice action scenes and drama. Adding some beautiful sceneries and sometimes well done CGI and it was easy to go on with the film and finish it.

Like this the movie managed to keep me watching till the end despite all the flaws, and the leads were also kinda charming.

To summon it up:
I went from "Oh sh**, what's that?!" to "Oh well, it's nice and sweet and stupid but enjoyable."

Healer
Feb 19, 2016
There are already alot of reviews to this drama but I still want to write some words about it.

Back then during the airing I wasn't really interested in Healer. The story seemed nice, the only actress I already knew from previous dramas was Park Min Young. But the poster didn't look very appealing. So, I kind of skipped the drama. But not long ago someone indirectly pushed me to watch it, partly because of Ji Chang Wook. I didn't know him until now.

I think 'Healer' is the ever first drama I gave a detailed 10 point rating in all categories. I have alot of favorite dramas in my list and also one that I like the most (who doesn't). Until now. Although I don't want to rush things, I'm afraid Healer just kicked my current No.1. I'd never thought a day like this will come. But here it is.

What impressed me the most? Or... well, it was more like I got bewitched, enchanted, placed under a spell or whatever you may call it.

First of all the story. Without that... well, everything has to start with an idea, a story to tell. And I must show my utmost respect and gratitude to the writers of Healer. It's not only the plot but also the way how the story unfolds. There are so many moments when you think you know exactly what happens next and what happened in the past. And then peng!, it takes you completely off guard because something totally different was the case. You get fooled quite good. Many times.

On the other hand, there are also many moments you can't get enough of and you think to yourself, he/she should do this now, it's only logical. And as if the drama can read your mind, it just takes your thoughts and wishes and displays it on the screen. Then you find yourself quitely giggling and smiling while watching the leads acting out your only just daydreams.

Okay. A good story doesn't function without good acting. And damn!, they hit the jackpot with those actors and actresses. And not only the few leads. No, even the smaller parts, the supporting roles and the bystanders were awesome in their appearences and carried out their 'missions' perfectly.

The romance part is a special case. Nowadays I'm a bit picky with it. Here it just hits and hits and hits and there's no other way than gazing at the screen and immerse in the mood. And again, giggling along.

Music? Fits! Everytime. Everywhere.

Fighting scenes. I have to mention it because they did such a good job with that. You don't get the feeling that it's just show but that they are actually able to move that way.

Cinematography? 10 points. There wasn't even one scene where I thought the producers missed some editing. Everything just fits in pefectly... Okay, there was one thing. But it's not even worth mentioning because it was such a small matter and could be explained well, fitting the story.

At the end there's only one downer. Too short! It's the first time that I actually think 20 episodes where way too short for this story. At least some more scenes at the end? No? No...

Okay, now I'm off, but still in awe. I have to go track down the OST, so that I can enjoy this satisfying feeling that Healer left me with a little longer.

Oh, and I just love Kim Mi Kyung. Such a talented and charismatic actress.

Local Hero
Apr 11, 2016
There are dramas that start good and become great. And there are dramas that start average and become... really bad. Sadly, Local Hero belongs to the latter. As much as I wanted to prove all those negative opinions otherwise, I just had no chance. It's a wonder that I actually finished the drama although my interest and concentration vanished halfway through.

I feel bad for rating a drama so low because I know that the actors and directors and producers usually put alot of effort in their projects. But I couldn't help myself and I should have known better after seeing the first action scene in the first episode.

So, where to start...
Well, first of all: The drama didn't seem to know what genre it was in. Crime? Suspense? Romance? Comedy? Ridiculous twists? Nothing matched the other. Even if a drama has various genres combined, there should at least be some common vibe during the whole drama. But that wasn't the case.

The plot.
At the beginning it seemed interesting but as it continued it looked like the writers only thought about the next episode but not about the bigger picture. So, everything looked kinda messed up. There were plot-holes and strange behavior by side characters and turns of events that didn't make sense at all. As it went further ahead it just couldn't pull off the excitement and suspense because of all those absurd things that happened as the story continued.

The cast/The acting.
I really, really wanted to give them a chance. It's Park Shi Hoo finally again, dammit. But even he couldn't convince me at at all in the end. His acting wasn't what it used to be back then (That doesn't mean I won't try out other new projects of him though)
I got annoyed by many ridiculous, shallow characters, but most of all by Seo Ahn played by Choi Yoon So. It seemed like she only had one facial expression. She had ALWAYS the same stare. Furthermore, since she was supposed to be the love interest for Baek Shi Hoon (Park Shi Hoo), she had no chemistry with her co-actor. NOTHING.

Choi Chan Gyu was just dump. The actor himself even admitted that he played a dump character who's only good at running. (Well, I'm sure he meant that in a good way. Not me though)

Writer Bae played by Kwon Yu Ri... well, she was average. She had my support regarding a possible love interest but she couldn't keep that up as her character didn't develop at all. But there was definitely more chemistry between her and Park Shi Hoo than with Seo Ahn.

The only one I really, really liked here (among some other side characters) was police officer In Tae Ho (Jo Sung Ha) and his family. All of them were very adorable. He was the only one who actually showed reasonable inner conflicts and a change of heart in the end.

Also, that one bad guy. Yoon Sang Min (Yoon Tae Young) showed more than just one side of him and the actor was convincing in his role.

I'm not blaming all of it on the acting. I'm partly putting the responsibility for the drama's failure on the directing and script. They didn't do a proper job here and they certainly didn't use the full potential of all those (usually) very good actors. There were scenes where they could have shown more emotion whereas in some other moments half of it would have been sufficient.

Action scenes/cinematography:
Bad. Just bad. Camera movements were too shaky. I know that it's also a method to create some mood but in this show it was too much and made the action scenes become either very blurry or just too vivid (not realistic). It also made the fighting scenes look visibly staged or out of focus.

Well, it wasn't bad but sometimes it was kinda over-dramatized.

Re-watch value.
Not. At. All. Wasted time in my opinion.

I was contemplating whether to rate it a 4.5 or a 5. In the end I chose 5 because I did finish it, the beginning wasn't THAT bad and for a few really likeable characters in this drama.

Descendants of the Sun
Apr 17, 2016
Thank god it's prohibited to write reviews before a drama has finished airing. I actually already wrote one after half of this drama was aired. If I had posted it, I would have had to edit it ten times by now.

So, yes. This drama was hyped alot and now that it's finished, opinion is deeply divided on this issue. I think the only problem is that the more you label something as perfect, the more you'll get disappointed when it doesn't reach your expectations in the end. You know the saying 'Don't count your chickens before they're hatched.' That perfectly describes what went wrong here. So yes, everyone said it was perfect in the beginning. As it went further, the excitement and hype expanded and many people said it was flawless, so it HAD to be flawless. Not letting in even one mistake.

Maybe it's overrated as some people say. But that doesn't mean it was a bad drama. It was still great and many people enjoyed the ride. Because there WERE great parts in it. Parts that filled us with excitement, with joy, with happiness and with sadness, frustration and anger.

So, what was so great here?

The bromance. Two totally different guys being the best buddies you've ever seen.

The romance. Refreshingly no love triangles, instead you can ship not only one but two couples wholeheartedly and not be afraid of some twists within their relationships as those we have already experienced in other dramas. You can enjoy the sincere feelings, the genuine caring and worrying and loving. There's chemistry between all of them and you can feel that the actors also felt proud to be part of something so special like this. The whole team is complementing each other.

The comedy. You have to admit, you laughed your butts off. Hilarious scenes all over the place.

The side characters (the good guys): It's not the first drama but there aren't THAT many dramas out there, where you actually sympathize with every character that appears in one show. Regarding that, it never gets boring.

The scenery: Not the usual korean areas around here but something new and refreshing. Beautiful landscapes and impressions.

As to where we took a hit: In my opinion it was the story. It wasn't bad. And until reaching a certain point it was quite entertaining. I would have liked it more if there had been one big story running like a golden thread through the whole drama. Not those many smaller stories following one after another - as interesting as they were in their own. But what really created some headaches (at least for me) where some issues that didn't add up to a logical process. And that was what made me kinda disappointed because those flaws were obvious. It seemed like all the effort they built in the beginning subsided towards the end and made some scenes seem ridiculous.

As for the bad guys... Well, that's an issue per se. They weren't that bad. They did a decent job and gave off thrilling moods, although sometimes it seemed a bit overdramatized. Maybe because most of them were foreign villains. And as we all know, foreigners in a korean drama just seem weird most times. Plus the foreign languages. Well, I wasn't really bothered by it. We are happy when they can actually pull that off better than what we'd expect. But we're also not disappointed because that's just the korean 'style'.

The OST was great because it created a unique feeling and beautiful atmosphere for the drama. Definitely on my mp3 list, soon.

So, nevertheless of all the critiques... Descendants of the Sun is by far not the most perfect drama out there. But it still manages to entertain us in many, many ways and often throws us in some big thrilling turmoil, what shouldn't be disregarded. And of course at some point it made us all hooked up.

Although I had some disappointed moments myself, I still enjoyed the drama. I will definitely rewatch this one as I want to re-feel all the emotions I run through during the first watch, but this time without having to wait until next week.

Witch's Court
Nov 29, 2017
This was such a hard decision to rate. And to be honest, just some seconds ago I gave this drama an 8 because of all the things I liked and loved about it. But to be fair there were also many things that didn't add up.

The start was strong and promising, the writing kinda daring considering the content of these prosecuted cases. The outcome was not always clear and you had your unexpected moments, even though some possible conclusions might have become more visible along the way and allowed the viewer to guess just right.

I loved the first half alot. And I mean ALOT.

Most of all because I had so much fun watching the female lead Ma Yi Deum. Her character is one of the best written and most authentic ones in dramaland. Believe me when I say that I was almost scared how much I recognized myself in her. Even though we didn't experience the same things, there were still so many situations when I just had to nod and agree in awe - because she always reacted and acted the same way I would have done in those moments. Scary indeed, right?

But at the same time I was fascinated with her and I was happy that the writers were brave enough to write such a grey zone leading role. She's not been categorized like that because she did some seriously bad things but more because she did and does some minor but still morally debatable things. If you look into the mirror and ask yourself whether you ever did something that was selfish, calculated and manipulating, even though it's not even worth mentioning (because deep down you actually don't want to admit it), then say hello to your sister: Ma Yi Deum. A tough girl who has decided to face the world with spite and sarcasm. Never letting herself be taken down by any obstacle she comes across. Even though she seems like she's hiding her feelings, she doesn't get depressed whenever she accidentally gives her emotions full scope, but instead covers up her slip of feelings in grand style. So yeah, I love her. From head to toe, from character to convenient (and occasionally striking) styling to ambiguous first impression.

The rest of the cast did well, too, even though non of them could compare to Jung Ryeo Won (Ma Yi Deum) who out-shined them all. And even though I want to mention Yoon Hyun Min because I like, love and fancy over him all the way, I just can't. I loved him in the first half but his character lost stage presence during the rest of the story (although some lovely glimpses still shined through sometimes and especially at the end~)

The same applies for the plot. I was hooked by the cases, they were shocking and the way the drama delivered them made me curious enough to binge watch the first six/seven episodes. But as the story went further, the cases lost substance, became repetitive and sadly let inconsistencies sneak in. The pace dropped down from 100 to 50 and it never picked up again. Even the finale felt kinda flat and unimpressive.

I feel truly sorry for the drama because it started off so damn well, and I wish the writers would have been able to keep that intimate but threatening atmosphere that caught me in the beginning. So much potential and so many missed possibilities.

But I did like the OST from beginning to end! It has something unique and memorable.

P.S: Would I recommend it? Yes. Depending on the mood and the tolerance of predicable and repetitive content. And for the eye candy and averagely good acting (including one shining star).

Operation Chromite
Jul 13, 2017
I went into this movie with not too high expectations because even though it was such a big project, Korean dramas taught me to still be careful with what I wish for. Well, I can't say that this movie was in any way a letdown. It was definitely not.

I'm always up for a good movie that is based on historical facts. Operation Chromite is not only based on true events but dedicated to the families and descendants of those heroes who are portrayed here. I am not a historian, so I can't assess to its historical closeness. But I do want to believe that the producers were very accurate with the details. And honestly, I don't think there could have gone much wrong either.

The story takes up pace very fast, you don't get bored over long conversations. Instead you have to concentrate alot because scenes change very fast. You blink once and half of the movie has already passed. You blink twice and the movie is already over. Every now and then it has some nice, calm and either heartwarming or heartbreaking moments as well, which is an important asset to make this movie work out the way it wants to be and to deliver the right feels.

Because this film's strength is not the action - although there's alot of that - but the people and their desperate fight for their country. Their determination and desire were infectious and moved me every single time, even though those moments were rare. The cast was delivering such a good job. There are so many really good actors and actresses in this movie that of course not everyone could get a main role. But that doesn't mean that their performances were less important than others. Even though their screentime was limited, they got the best out of themselves and brought forth some nice, raw emotions.

Despite its brutal reality, cinematography was at its best. Beautiful shots and colors that supported the storytelling and its emotions in a caring way. I'm also sounding a note of caution here for all those who are sensible to gore. Although the film is keeping it at a short leash, there are still some scenes that might upset one or two stomachs.

One thing I was bothered by (next to some other things) was first of all Liam Neeson. I know that he's a really good actor and I don't blame him here. But his scenes always seemed kinda choppy and cut off. There was no smoothness in his dialogues either. Only in close-ups his acting could truly shine which made me appreciate his appearances a little more.

Another thing that irritated me was the background score. I'm a sucker for good background music and Operation Chromite does have a great score actually. But it was so badly placed and overused in Liam Neeson's scenes that it almost lost all its impact and disrupted the in other places always well balanced story-flow. All the scenes with the Korean soldiers for example were stunningly coordinated and fluent which makes it such a shame that it didn't work out with his parts.

Overall still a nice and lasting watch that I would definitely recommend.

Tunnel 3D
Aug 25, 2016
The story itself is nothing special. A group of young adults get stuck in an abandoned mine. Something or someone is playing tricks on their minds and suddenly people start dying.

So, while deciding on a horror movie it all depends on what you expect of that one you eventually chose. I knew what I was expecting but I still got disappointed. Why? Because it was like getting a tooth pick after expecting a tree - or at least a wood stick. Means, the purpose was delivered but way too short. The film starts, you get into the mood of being scared and suddenly it's already over. That was how I felt.

I did like the way they pulled off those scary scenes with faces suddenly popping up... or people... or other things... Also, my rating for the music part doesn't mean they had great songs or whatever. It just shows that the background music was creepy and well put at the right (shocking) moments. There were also some really ugly (and I mean pretty scary) scenes that almost made me cover my eyes with my hands (but maybe I got too sensible for that stuff?).

The acting was solid, nothing special but most times convincing.

Ohhhh, but the special effects! Well, CGI really looked like CGI and made the movie look like a mix of animation and real live action. I was very disappointed with that.

So, what can I say... If you're looking for a movie to get your party guests into the mood or just for scary fun watching, you definitely got the right film. But be aware! It's a really short ride...