Long Vacation (1996) poster

allicya
Nov 15, 2012
9 years ago, which is the first time I watched this drama, I was simply mesmerized by it. And now I just finish rewatched it, this drama is still one of my favorite drama, I will never get tired of it.

If you are searching for a light but simply addicting drama, you should pick Long Vacation. The story may began just like the other 'living under the same roof' dramas, but the setting is on 1996 so it was different from other recent dramas. No handphones or emails, so it was more about the characters dealing with themselves regarding their feelings. The simple twist at the end of every episode will keep you want to know more about what will happened next. And the ending is simply beautiful.

The chemistry between the main couple really worked out, it was fun to see them together. Kimura Takuya is as excellent as ever and Yamaguchi Tomoko did a very nice job playing a miserable 31 years old woman. The other casts are also awesome, I didn't find any of them annoying.

The soundtrack is also one of the winning factor for this drama. The opening theme is still one of my favorite song up until this moment (and I always sing it whenever I went for a karaoke) plus all the music pieces they chose for this drama is awesome.

Even though this drama is quite old, it will remain evergreen in my heart. Try watching this drama, you are not going to be disappointed.

NewKDramaAddict
Mar 31, 2013
This is definitely the oldest drama I've ever watched but I must say I felt right at home watching it. From the beginning to the end, I just loved the characters and their interactions. I think viewers of a certain age would appreciate this more than others. As I watched, it solidified my fandom with Kimura Takuya, what an actor. Imagine my surprise to see this was Yamaguchi Tomoko's last role. I loved her character's perkiness and willingness to bounce back after her break up. The supporting characters also brought so much to the drama. And thankfully totally devoid of the usual drama cliques!! I loved that the most about this drama!! Again, it's not for everyone. Not one cell phone in the story!! It was great!

starsappear
Aug 8, 2018
I have no idea what took me this long to watch this splendid drama. I don't watch many Jdramas and when I do I stick to my faves- Kazuya Kamenashi, Yamapi and Yuki Furakawa. I have only seen one Takuya Kimura drama before this- Pride, which was amazing too. Pride was what lead me to this drama because Kimutaku was so damn charming there.

Long Vacation is a real gem. It amazes me how the story and the characters are so forward and even though it such an old drama, the emotions still remain the same. It is timeless. The actors, every single one of them, have brought justice to their characters. I would really like to applaud the casting team too because the actors' appearances compliment the characters and also thank them for casting Takuya Kimura as Sena. This drama has a simple plot, it doesn't have an evil villain, it doesn't have any smidge of thriller and supernatural aspect unlike dramas nowadays, it is just a story about people. The characters and their growth is what makes this drama shine. All the main characters are incredibly different from each other and they somehow still complement each other. I absolutely love their clothes in the show too and oh lord, Takuya Kimura in those shirts with that hair //swoons

In the beginning, I didn't care about Sena? Sena was just another guy. But with every passing episode, I grew attached and I silently and sometimes not so silently began rooting for him, praying for him and scolding him. Sena's sincerity in everything, his hard work and his sensitive nature are all incredible qualities of him I admire. I loved to see him break down his walls. The way this drama, in just 11 episodes, has portrayed Sena's growth is beyond words. He is just one of my favourite characters of all times now because he is so human- he is fragile yet strong. His relationship with Minami intrigues me so much because on paper they are two incredibly different people but in reality, their compatibility is no joke. The mutual respect and understanding they have for each other makes their relationship strong. They are each other's shelters and let me tell you, when you find a person like that, facing the world gets easier. I just love Sena so much and goddd I can't even begin to rave about how Takuya Kimura is a gorgeous, amazing person with such a charming smile!!!!!!!!!!

About Minami, I didn't have much expectations with her when she made her entry into Sena's house. She just seemed too loud for my liking. I was wrong. People might think Minami is aloof, but infact she is always aware of her actions and she is always a responsible woman. She carries herself with dignity, refusing to back down and take shit from anyone. Her positive outlook on life is something I am quite envious of. In the coming years, I aspire to be a strong woman with a shit load of courage like her.

This review is getting long because I have so many feels rn but I'll stop now.

All in all, if you are having thoughts about whether to watch it or not, just do it really, you'll absolutely love it. Warning- you might end up crying about Takuya Kimura's smile but no regrets there really

iuclaws
Jun 11, 2015
one of the oldest yet one of the best dorama, once i watched it, i got so drown into it and simply cannot stop.
the story itself is about a guy and a girl who accidentally have to live under the same roof in the midst of situation where everything they do just don't work out right. the kind of story you can relate to yourself at some point of your life, although not exactly the same

All supporting characters as such Shinji & Momoko have strong presence throughout the drama, and the chemistry between Kimutaku & Tomoko Yamaguchi just feels right. no more-no less, simply a deep connection without having to express much.

There are some parts of the conversation in the drama when you can instantly relate to your own experience. That's the simplicity of this drama that makes it simply unforgettable.

Rewatch? Absolutely.
Recommend? Without a doubt.

miskat
Jan 21, 2012
"Long Vacation" is the oldest Jdrama I've watched recently. Older dramas don't usually appeal to me anymore, but its premise seemed interesting so I gave it a try. I must say that despite its age, I quite liked it.

What you might like about it: If you're into stories about an unlikely couple who ends up living together and falling for each other, then you might enjoy this.
The story is rather light and easy to watch. Also, unlike other dramas, this one doesn't drag much.

What might put you off: The female lead is not very likable that it takes a while before you get used to her. The main lead, on the other hand, is quite charming. Frankly, they don’t have much chemistry; however, once you’ve accepted that they’ve actually gotten attracted to each other, you’ll enjoy the events that follow. Another thing that I was not impressed about this drama is the soundtrack. There’s this one song that they play over and over which sometimes does not even fit the scene; it gets irritating after a while.

Overall, this drama is fairly delightful and not quite inferior to romantic comedies that came out more recently. The ending is also sweet and satisfying.

Dramarama
Jan 31, 2018
I've decided to watch all of Kimura Takuya 's dramas and "Long Vacation" was the second on my list. I must say it doesn't dissapoint!!

It's such a simple yet beautiful story that focuses on not only the love stories but all around development of characters. It has it's ups and downs in the plot but none too complicated and unrealistic. Even rough bumps in the story or between characters isn't blown out of proportion or shown for far too long and from ever angle possible on earth to make the audience realise it's impact. The great acting does that itself.

I WILL FIGHT ANYBODY WHO TELLS ME THIS IS THE SAME KIMURA TAKUYA I SAW IN PRIDE AS 'HALU SATONAKA', the highly charming, smart mouthed heartbreaker. Just kidding. What can I say about his acting, I am wowed everytime I watch him. Also I love the actress Yamaguchi Tomoko and she's such a pleasure to watch onscreen. I'll definitely look for more of her works too. I think the rest of the cast did a fantastic job as well.

The music is strangely addicting specially La La La Love song. The opening credits never get old and it's all good fun.

I am going to watch this drama again and recommend it to any one who's looking for a Jdrama to watch or just something nice. It's a really simple and fun drama and the cast and story will not dissapoint.

Oh god I love the fashion in this. Good ol' 90s, it makes me want to go back. Those sandals and pants and big baggy suits. Kimura Takuya could wrap himself in cabbage leaves and he'll still be the handsomest man I've ever seen. I'm going to check out more of his dramas/movies now and I'm glad I watched "long vacation".

BrightestStar
Dec 4, 2016
It's a really good watch for someone wanting a good authentic 90s-type Japanese drama. Characters are shown much more down-to-earth and natural. I've said it before I'm no fan of Kimura Takuya, but I really liked him here. In his post 2k dramas he always gives me this "I'm so great feeling" which annoys me. It's different here, much more humble, and totally suits the role. Scene stealer though, was Takenouchi Yutaka !

The characters themselves were annoying most of the time. Minami never ceased to be annoying but at least she toned it down a bit after about a third into the drama. Sena is wishy washy for about 10 episodes of the drama. Ryoko is too childish and never grows, Momoko is just a convenience when the writer wants to get the characters from one place to another, never had a real depth. I liked Ru-chan but again she was ignored by the writer and most of the characters, except sometimes Sena. Even Shinji was hard to read as to what he wanted. I thought around episode 9-10 there was an interesting exploration of the character's relationship but then it got somehow dropped :S

So yea I felt the writing was lacking. I loved the choice of music but many times the editing was weird in the way it cuts the sound/music. It wasn't the typical effective way to show a change of mood or some shocking event, it felt just random.

I didn't really care much about the coupling I enjoyed watching the character interactions and I got plenty of that. The weirdest is the Shiji-Sena relationship, but I loved that the most. They're awkward and can't be real friends but they each have deep respect for the other (and probably envy) for different reasons.

Despite my criticism I enjoyed it, I felt genuine and relatable. It would've been a masterpiece if only the characters were given more depth, and the lead girl was less pushy and over intrusive :P

humanthouart
Dec 13, 2019
I am not much a veteran in terms of Japanese drama but god did I love this. This drama is all about the feels. If you're hesitating because it's an old one, cast your doubts away. In fact I can affirm that this felt more contemporary to me in its presentation than a lot of modern drama. It's honestly all about the feels and also the acting is superb! Like where do you find dramas like that. Every other drama I watched after this felt plain wrong, and not quite coming up to the gloriousness of this.

The storyline itself, not spectacular as such although in the 1990s it might have been considered as such, being it's first of its kind. But the acting and cast of characters largely make for it, their relationship and the ease of their banter, felt so natural. Im astounded how I didn't watch this sooner.

The romance develops itself in a quite realistic manner, and I think it amply depicts why so many couples in more recent dramas just don't sell it. It definitely had to it an undeniable charm, and I can't wait to have a rewatch.

Also I've since watched a tad of Kimura Takuya's works, but you've got to admit that the boyish charm he depicts in long vacation, really is something to appreciate.

And let's not forget Minami's absolute perfection as female lead, sensible at times but nevertheless so fierce and strong. Even the side characters were so perfect, especially Minami's brother- what an absolute scene-stealer!

Anyways, long story short- watch this!!!