Seondal: The Man Who Sells the River (2016) poster

Weantelle
May 4, 2017
After seeing this movie so many times, I can really tell that I fall in love with it~
If your liking historical dramas/movies, you won't be disappointed, the story was simple but original with swindling and thieving !

The main characters were very cool ! I think Yoo Seung Ho (Kim Seon Dal) suit so well historical character and this time wasn't an exception, Go Chang Seok (Bo Won) on the other hand was hilarous : buts a good buddy that you can trust ! The chemistry between them was really great and that what makes this movie so enjoyable for me I think. "Gyon" was an adorable cheerful character that put the cuteness at his paroxysm!

Their acting was on point and the character are totally lovable!

It was an beautiful story with funny, serious and sad moments.
So, if you want just to have a good time (beginner or experienced), go watch it!

etherealtaekibum
Apr 7, 2018
Being the first Korean movie I've watched in my time, Seondal: The Man who Sold the River had a lot to live up to. I had high expectations, told by my friends that Korean movies had a certain charm to them within their storytelling. Of course, being a fan of EXO, I decided to start with Seondal, with the guest star of Kim Minseok [Xiumin], who played Gyeon.

From the start of Seondal, I found myself hypnotised. The storyline played out beautifully, fully capturing your attention from the start. With a harrowing beginning of war and loss, it's hard not to feel for the characters at the start. The first thing I noticed was Seungho Yoo, playing the main character - Kim Inhong aka Kim Seondal. His acting as our main character shows within the first few minutes as his honourable character begins with his protective nature and charm. Seungho really creates a character that is likeable from the beginning - even though we know Inhong is written out and scripted, Seungho brings a truly amazing feeling to the character and truly makes Inhong his own.
Following on from Seungho as Inhong, there is also Kim Minseok as Gyeong. An idol that I have grown to be quite fond of over the past year, Gyeong was a character that I was very much looking forward to meeting in this film, and my expectations were definitely not let down. Kim Minseok brings to Gyeong a side of the character that felt playful, but still serious. Along with his own heroic and honourable actions, it's hard not to fall in love with this misshapen small family of crooks.

The storyline itself of family, loss, and revenge truly shows the spirit of this film. A storyline that's often overdone in a lot of genres and in many countries nowadays, this film truly brings to light how it all connects together. It's been a while since I watched a film about family and it was as connected and well done as Seondal is. There's a connection between all the characters, and as well done as the film has been made, it's obvious that they all had a lot of fun filming it. When you can see this, I believe it truly makes the film even better, showing that the actors truly enjoyed themselves.

Overall, this film truly has a lot of charm to it. With its mix of comedy but yet darker storylines, innocence and the ruining of innocence, and the reminder of war throughout, this touched my heart in ways I never expected this film to do. I found throughout this I felt every emotion that the producers wanted us to, and I found myself in tears numerous times. If you've never watched a Korean film before - I recommend this is your first one. If you are looking for another film to watch, I recommend this. It's a work of art, and I will definitely be watching this plenty more times in the future.

Psychosinner
Sep 18, 2018
This is such a good movie! Great rewatch value. Just funny, and touching and so adorable. Xiumin is super cute as the lackey Gyeon to a group of swindlers led by Kim Seondal (Yoo Seung-ho) who is infamous for his wit and intelligence. It's so much fun watching them trick people out of their money but when Seondal robs tons of tobacco from some dangerous people is when the trouble begins. Excellent casting, and even though it gets pretty dark at one point it's still overall not as dark. The tone remains light. But it's so funny and Yoo Seung-ho and Xiumin bromance is the highlight of the movie for sure.

jennydinhworld
Nov 26, 2018
Great movie! This was simple, easy to follow, but also smart and the characters are also quite complex.

The story is quite simple, and it is well paced. The time is spanned out well.

I absolutely loved and adored the characters within the movie, especially our hero - who is just so beautiful might I add. The guest star of the king also made this movie better.

The music score was excellent and set out the pacing and overall mood of the story perfectly.

The only negative thing about this movie is that the ending seemed a little rushed, despite the excellent pacing of the story from beginning to end.

There is little to no romance involved - so I’d you’re looking for historical romance, this ain’t it.

However if you want a feel good movie (with quite a bit of action, tragedy and fighting) then this is the historical movie for you!

Hell_observer
Jun 2, 2019
I tried to watch this movie because of Xiumin but unexpectedly it is a really good movie. The story is well written and great plot of course. Im very satisfied with the ending and the closing. I love the swindler tactics. The cast is good too, i love their characters also good acting. The only minus for casting is the cabaret girl. I don't like her since she appeared then she appear again and again. I I rarely give nice score and nice review because im not watching many drama but this one is worth the time. My heart breaks one time. Will watch it again when i have free time.

WonByungHoon
Oct 22, 2017
This was actually a funny ass movie. Yoo seung ho is pretty as they come. Hes a conman who thrives on playing different characters and fooling the rich people for their money. His partner is very hilarious and find himself doong and saying the funniest things. The last con was very serious it almost cost him.  I liked when he played a girl, hes got feminine facial skin and features he passed for it. Xiumin from exo -m was actually good and the female patrot reader was convincing too. Definitely recommending it to pass time.
doki doki
Sep 19, 2019
When plot is just as good as the visuals you get a certain sense of satisfaction in believing that every reviewer was perhaps actually rating it based on the plot, lol.

Anyhow, the plot was actually pretty good, how it played out or was delivered was also pretty good. Characterizations were good and endearing all in their own ways. Casting was good and none too focused on visuals.

The cinematography was good. Basically, it was overall a good movie to watch, and I'm glad it was a movie because if it were dragged out in a drama it would've failed miserably. Pacing was good for a movie.