The Village: Achiara's Secret

• Members: 6,401

The Village: Achiara's Secret (2015)

Risingmuses
Dec 4, 2015
I’m really glad I decided to start “The Village: Achiara’s Secret” which I can say it’s probably one of the best Korean dramas this year (and one of the most underrated too, sigh!). I’ve been hooked with it since the 1s° episode and I spent hours thinking about the culprits, the other character’s story etc.

PLOT:” Achiara is a small and peaceful village in the Korean countryside where nobody commits crime ; not other parts of Korea where a mysterious serial killer kills people on “Rainy Wednesday”. That’s what people say to Han Soo Yoon, the new English teacher, when she arrives from Canada. Unfortunately, the shy Soo Yoon discovers a corpse right away! Seeking the truth in Achiara is not simple: everyone has a secret or a reason to hate and threat someone….
One of the many things I really appreciate is the absence of romance/story line: no distractions, no useless moments or stupid parts! Also there aren’t many characters with side stories: dragging level is like 0%.

ACTING: to be honest, at first I didn’t like Moon Geun Young’s acting and way of playing Han Soo Yoon ^^” I thought she was emotionless and below average but, episode after episode, I realized that she probably is the only actress in Korea able to portray this kind of character: shy, scared, with low self-esteem. However I can’t totally say she did a great job; the other actors did WAY better than her
BTOB’s Joung Jae, for example, impressed me in a positive way (also because he’s only 20 years old…) and I read that many Koreans thought he was a professional actor, not an idol. Actresses Jang So Yeon, Shin Eun Gyeong and actor Choi Jae Woong did a wonderful job too

REWATCH VALUE: I wouldn’t rewatch it because I already know who the culprit is but I think this is a series that everyone MUST watch soon or later!

Marooya
Dec 3, 2015
This drama is the perfect example to show you how a drama with thrill, crime and msytery on its genre should be done! I've seen my share of this genre and they usually can't pull it off at least not in a way that would make me anticipate for 16 eps long and to actually work my brain out trying to find answers. The Village: Achiara's Secret promised me a thrilling journey and it definitely fulfilled that promise (that's a tough promise to keep considering 16 eps long).

Story
NO ROMANCE that's the best thing about it because it is fully focused on the story no distractions no useless characters or side stories or scenes. I can't really explain much about the story without spoiling it, I wouldn't say the perfect story cus it's not it actually has holes which weren't covered. However, the story wasn't just about crime, mystery, thrill it actually delivers feelings and meaning behind it all.

Acting
I gave it 9/10 because I think if it wasn't for everyone's FLAWLESS (except for one person) performance this drama wouldn't have worked out. Though all dramas require great cast with great acting skills, a drama with these genres in particular requires much more than great acting to pull it off. No matter how thrilling the storyline is without the right cast it will never work out. I personally give BIG applause to Shin Eun Gyeong, Yook Sung Jae, Jang Hee Jin and Choi Jae Woong the most. Surprisingly though in terms of performance Moon Geun Young was the weakest of them all (I don't know if it was because of the character).

Rewatch
Definitely not, the kind of category that this drama falls in makes it a none rewatchable drama. Once the mystery is solved there is no point in watching it again (at least not to me).

Overall
This drama needs to get more audience on the (currently watching) it's a good one and worth the attention. One more important point it's thanks to this drama I started to like this genre even more now. I highly recommend it

DreamingKoreanBallad
Dec 6, 2015
The Best mystery drama I've seen in a LONG time! I marathoned it in 3 days, as soon as I watched the first episode I was hooked and could not pull myself away! I was constantly conflicted over who the real criminal was. I'd go from one suspect only to add another and another and another! I had at least 5+ suspects on my list and a few went on and off a couple of times lol If you are like me and love a good mystery, then this is one not to be missed!

Cast: Yook Sung Jae as Officer Park Woo Jae was my personal favorite character - he was so eager, determined, nice, and wouldn't let go of his "detective instincts" ^^ He'd investigate things other detectives were brushing off with the help of his sunbae officer Han Yeong Sa whom I also really liked - two great officers/unofficial-detectives from a rural area who shined the most! Moon Geun Young as Han So Yoon was great in her role as the new teacher trying to figure out what brought her to Achiara. (not everyone likes her acting, but I do, I couldn't imagine another actress playing her role). Ohn Joo Wan was my second favorite character - I loved every scene of his. Choi Jae Woong as "the young agashi" was the most confusing and perplexing characters in this drama! Great acting! Park Eun Seok as Nam Gun Woo "the art teacher" another complex role - definitely going to keep my eye on this actor!
Every actor did such a splendid job with their character - and I can't say much or I will unveil the mystery!

Music: this is the first time I actually enjoyed the instrumental OST this much - it fit perfectly and still remains in my memory - usually instrumentals don't leave a lasting impression for me but this one did.

I would definitely re-watch this drama again! Such a good drama! I'd recommend it to mystery lovers!

BoiceInPink
Dec 5, 2015
Story
I absolutely love how new elements of the plot is added with almost every single episode (up till the last episode, can you imagine). It gets you speculating on what actually happened to the characters because the show doesn't tell you too much at once. Plus, it keeps you on the edge of your seat and makes you want to keep clicking the "next episode" button because plot twists appear at unpredictable parts of the show.

Very minor romance and some funny scenes here and there. It stays true to the mystery genre, with the characters running around trying to solve the mystery, but hardly any action (in terms of the police shooting and fighting etc). Due to the nature of the genre, the plot may not be quite clear and straightforward for some. Especially at the start, viewers may have to just take the story in first before you get a better picture of what is happening.

Acting
Amazing acting by (almost) all the cast. One supporting character that came to mind is Ba Woo, played by child actor Choi Won Hong. His role as a kid with autism can be difficult to deliver but he did well in portraying the basic symptoms of the disorder (well, it's a spectrum, so in real life, symptoms displayed by different people will vary depending on the severity,). I thought his acting wasn't awkward at all.

Main characters like Yoon Ji Sook (played by Shin Eun Gyeong) and Kim Hye Jin (by Jang Hee Jin) delivered their emotions well throughout the show. Personally I could feel their desperation and frustration. However Moon Geun Young who played the leading role as Han So Yoon, and Ohn Joo Wan who played Gi Hyun, felt rather weak to me. It could possibly be due to the nature of their characters and the way it was written.

Cast
I thought the casting was alright. They got a variety of people to play different and diverse characters for both major and minor roles. For instance, Yook Sung Jae's character as a young and eager police officer suit him well. The fortune teller, the rowdy female students, the suspicious principal at the art school all fit the characters they were playing.

Music
I didnt not recall anything memorable.

Rewatch value
Even though I thought this drama is brilliant, I think it is quite difficult for anyone to rewatch it unless you feel like you missed out certain important parts of story.

In all, I feel that this drama is a great crime and mystery drama. I highly recommend it to everyone who is into this genre. However if you like lighter dramas, this may not be for you. The lack of romance and comedy makes this show quite heavy. Also, take note that this show may be triggering for some viewers (implied rape, no real scene if I'm not mistaken).

Dec 6, 2015
When I saw this was airing, I wasn't too sure I'd like it. I usually watch dramas that are heavily based off of romance, and this one doesn't. Despite the absence of romance, I decided to give it a shot purely because of Yook Sungjae, and boy am I glad I did!!

To briefly summarize, it revolves around the mysterious death of Kim Hye Jin. As the story unravels, we learn more about the relationships she had within the village, and become suspicious of almost everyone as details of her death are slowly revealed. To add to the suspense of the series, there's also a serial killer roaming the streets, and So Yoon finds herself in the middle of everything.

Acting:
I loved it all. I know there's usually an expectation for idols not to be the best at acting, but Sungjae's acting was awesome! He fit the character of Woo Jae amazingly and completely exceeded my expectations! Everyone else acted brilliantly too! I can't find a fault in the cast.

I read a lot of comments after the first few episodes had aired that the music that kept you on the edge of your seat was played to often and ruined the suspense, but to be quite honest, I didn't think it was overplayed at all. The music fitted well with the genre of the show, and left me yearning for more after the end of each episode! It complimented well with the scenes, and I thought it helped the show flow nicely.

To anyone having doubts about whether or not they should watch it, I say go for it!! If you're looking for a drama that's mysterious and well written, I highly recommend this! The story is well-devised and all the characters have depth to them. It's a good watch!

RinaAllam
Jan 8, 2016
Well what to say at the beginning I wasn't so excited about watching this drama, but while watching the first episode I became attached to it. It's just amazing, how the story is well written, the acting is so damn good, the actors have put a lot of efforts in it . What I didn’t like was that each time I get the feeling that I'm close to solve the case it gets more and more complicated, I mean come on guys why make it so complicated that’s what I thought at the beginning but then everything just fits perfectly in sync with the whole story to make it more tragedy, thrilling and mind blowing.

The actors:
Yook Sung Jae : the good police man, the charming, caring angel, and my god he is so cute. I loved him the way he acted is amazing to make you believe him and cheer for him.

Shin Eun Gyeong : WOW just wow, I was taken back by her powerful acting, she is super amazing, and that character that gets you to be compassionate, sympathetic and for sure angry at her most of the time, how she got into the role to perfect the character like this is awesome.

Choi Jae Woong : I must say that I loved his role; he got me confused all along the drama, trying to figure out if he is a bad guy or just a psycho. He really played it well as how can you love a killer & sympathize with him … he is soo good , just want to see him in more dramas he deserve it. Well done.

ThomasNL
Dec 30, 2016
From my opinion 'The Village: Achiara's Secret' is a failed attempt of trying to create a dramatic mystery with a bit of horror in which a girl is trying to discover an identity of a killed person, thereby revealing a very ugly truth.

Though in theory it might have been a nice story as a series, it failed on several occasions. The actors were not in the correct roles and/or acted below standards. Story was very basic in which the story was predictable several episodes advanced. Trying to create side stories which were pretty useless and non-interesting. Though I have had some spare moments of joy within this series, I can't give more than a single five for this series, which I think is on the high side.

isuzusan
Apr 24, 2016
Okay, so I wrote an article based on The Village: Achiara's Secret just under six months ago, and I'm slightly ashamed to say that I have only just finished it because I put this drama on-hold after watching eight episodes. Honestly, the only reasons I watched it was because of Yook Sungjae and the fact this drama was horror based. Not many good dramas have been themed around horror (excluding The Master's Sun) and, unfortunately, this drama didn't do any better.

As with a lot of dramas I watch, the series had a good concept to it. It seemed quite original and wasn't afraid to try some risks (for example, jumping almost immediately in with the scares and tension). But it was poorly executed. The Village: Achiara's Secret tried too hard to be scary that it couldn't give the viewers a proper thrill. But that wasn't just it. There were also a lot of unnecessary scenes, some of the supporting characters had way more screen time than the actual main cast, there was barely any subtlety when needed, and finally, I absolutely loathe it when dramas use issues with transphobia and homophobia. However, I do applaud the writers for creating a good pacing for the events in the series, and for making the final three episodes really interesting. Everything else though was pretty boring. Also, I'm not sure whether I liked this or not, but the family tree based around Kim Hye Jin is seriously messed up.

At least the directors did something well done for this drama and that was picking the cast. Of course any drama that picks Yook Sungjae to be part of the main cast is bound to have a good choice of acting, even though my oppa couldn't exactly help save this drama (like Hyun Bin with Hyde, Jekyll, Me). Sungjae oppa was flawless in his acting, and he deserved to win the New Star Award from this series. Anyway, moving on. I'm not sure how I felt about Moon Geun Young's acting. At times, her character felt genuine and quite realistic, but at other times, her acting was stiff and not too great to watch. She's not the worst actress I've seen but far from the best. After watching The Village: Achiara's Secret, I take away any criticism I had for Shin Eun Gyeong because her acting went so perfectly with her character, I'm amazed at how immersed she was in acting - this also applies to Jang Hee Jin. Finally, Ohn Joo Wan. He could have done a lot better, but he did good with his character.

Music probably had the worst execution I've ever seen in watching anything. Okay, I'll admit that it was good for a few scenes (especially the cliffhanger endings to each episode), but besides that, it was all over the place. There would be extremely dramatic music in scenes where they are only talking about what happened to Hye Jin, it was so poorly done.

The only reason I would watch this again is if I was doing a Yook Sungjae binge watch of all his dramas, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Overall, probably the worst horror themed media I've ever watched. The story needed a LOT of work, the music director needs to get his act together and some acting choices may need to improve. I would only recommend for the actors I praised.

manicmuse
Dec 16, 2015
I'm not even sure where to start with this drama! This is my first time watching a K-Drama that is strictly a mystery/thriller, a genre I am generally a fan of (no comedy, no romance, no box of tissues necessary). I had no idea what to expect, but it definitely turned out to be a weird one. The town of Achiara is chock full of crazy, and dysfunction, which was entertaining to watch, but also completely ridiculous, and kinda confusing. It's very hard not to reveal any spoilers but highlights include family secrets, crazy town folk, sickness, perverts, murder, corruption, betrayal, messages from beyond the grave, the worst moms ever, lots of plot twists, and lots of slapping.

The story's main character, Han So Yoon, is equal parts clever hero, and gullible idiot. We learn about the town through her "canadian" outsider eyes, and her inability to mind her business where her sister is concerned. Moon Geun Young does a good job, but her character also often made me want to reach through the screen and shake her. The rest of the actors were fun to watch, but the acting was very over the top, and hard to take seriously at all, so I have to give the acting a 7. Shin Eun Gyeong's hysterics as Yoon Ji Sook were more funny than heartbreaking. Yook Sung Jae is super adorbs as the rookie officer. Jang Hee Jin gives a lot of great attitude faces as Kim Hye Jin. Choi Jae Woong's role was... interesting. I can go on and on for way too long about all the characters in Achiara, but my two favorites were the rebellious Seo Yoo Na, and the duplicitous Kang Jo Hee.

I also gave the story a 7, because even though I was hooked by the first episode, the crazy story line was hard to follow, and even harder to believe. In the beginning the revelations seemed redundant, but towards the end the twists just kept coming. I will also admit that, due to cultural differences, many things that the townsfolk were scandalized by didn't seem like such a big deal, so the reactions always seemed super melodramatic. As for the ending, it does a good enough job of pulling all the chaos together, and I was not disappointed. I was still confused about a lot of things though, so that would be my only reason to re-watch any part of this drama. There are also quite a few plot holes, so maybe re-watching it won't help.

Overall, I can't recommend this drama unless you are really in the mood for a story crazy enough to make you keep watching. Not knowing what's going to happen next is it's greatest appeal, which makes it easily marathon-able. However, if you think the first episode is way too overdramatic, don't bother continuing, because the show is just getting warmed up.

Ivana
Aug 11, 2016
My first Korean horror drama and my favorite!
The Story - Tragic and simple(in a good way) thats how i would describe this drama.. it was great, loved it!
Acting/Cast - Great cast! Btob's Sungjae made me fall for his character, i would go for him anytime and that was before i even knew he was part of Btob, that's an idol with acting skills no doubt! :) The lead female was good you can't hate her, the villain on point.
Music- many people had problems with it, that there was music when it wasnt needed but i loved that part because it was funny for me XD.
Rewatch Value - When there is not that much good horror dramas that are actually a horror drama's there is no way this one cant have a high rating there i think 7.5 is good. Overall it was a great i never thought i would be so interested :)

RimaDwiAndina
Dec 6, 2015
Huwaaaa, drama yang mengharukan! Kenapa jadi mengharukan? Karena misteri kematian Kim Hye Jin a.k.a Han So Jung tuh bener-bener ngebuat terharu. Ah, aku jadi percaya dengan kalimat bijak ini >> "Tidak ada orang yang benar-benar jahat, dan tidak ada orang yang benar-benar baik." Drama ini membuktikannya, Kawan!

Story

Ada desa yang terbilang kecil di Korea Selatan, nama desanya adalah Achiara. Sangat kecil, hingga kalian bisa tahu masalah tetangga kalian. Kim Hye Jin seorang guru kesenian, dia yang membimbing Yoo Na melukis. Tapi ada tujuan lain mengapa Kim Hye Jin ke Achiara.
Han Soo Yoon kembali ke Korea setelah mendapat surat yang alamatnya dari Achiara. Di Achiara, ia bekerja sama guru Bahasa Inggris di sekolah Hae Won. Tapi kedatangan Soo Yoon ini membuat Achiara tidak senang. Sebab, Soo Yoon lah yang menemukan mayat yang sudah terkubur selama dua tahun. Tidak hanya sampai disitu, Soo Yoon yang kekeuh ingin menemukan kakaknya malah mengungkap beberapa rahasia kelam Achiara. Dibantu dengan Detektif Park Woo Jae, Soo Yoon mencari kebenaran yang disembunyikan Achiara.

Kalau menurutku, pusat cerita drama ini tuh Kim Hye Jin. Dari awal sampai akhir, nama Kim Hye Jin pasti selalu disebut. Dan endingnya benar-benar tak terduga. Setiap tindakan yang diambil si tokoh, pasti ada alasannya yang membuatku terkadang membenarkan tindakan tokoh tersebut.

Acting/Cast

Nonton ini tuh karena ada si unyu Gong Tae Kwang, hahaaha. Tapi beneran, tertarik sama ini drama karena ada Yong Sung Jae nya, hihi. Kalau bukan karena diamah, sekalipun aku tertarik, aku ngga akan nonton. Abisan dari genre dramanya aja udah buat merinding duluan. Yang jadi Kim Hye Jinnya cantik deh. Sayang, dia muncul hanya sebagai hantu dan nggak sering. Eh, kalau udah jadi hantu, ya jangan sering-sering muncul deh.

Music

Tontonan bergenre horor, misteri, thriller, nggak lengkap kalau tanpa backsound yang bikin merinding. Top lah ini drama backsoundnya.

Rekomended banget buat kalian pecinta drama detektif-detektifan!