The Black Devil and the White Prince (2016) poster

Kibou-tama
Jan 22, 2017
I honestly loved this movie! The "anime-feel" of Kurosaki-kun no Iinari ni Nante Naranai was spot on. It was not only hilarious but left me with butterflies in my stomach. ^-^ Also, and this was a fact that surprised me with this movie, that it was kind of hot for a Japanese drama (which usually tends to leave us with shallow or few kisses), but this was a lot more, well physical, but of course in a sweet way. Haha.

So if you want something light, fuzzy, hilarious, adorable and mildly steamy, then this is the drama for you. ;)

Also! I recommend you to watch the drama series first, then the movie, since the movie takes place after the drama.

gotomoe
Dec 17, 2017
I didn't like how she was treated at all. I don't get the purpose. The acting was okay, I mostly watched this for NANA.
It was VERY cheesy. Good for young kids to enjoy but not for me lol
This was probably the first time ever in my life where a girl made my heart skip and beat so fast, that ending was amazing and nana is amazing for it.
Huge plot twist and I wasn't even paying attention to the whole thing.
It was more like abuse and weird submissiveness to me that didn't make sense because she could have just said no many times.
Any way I won't watch this again because it's just not my taste. They were too young to act like this and I'm too old to watch youngsters act weird, although they're probably my age today.

Rbkossa
Jun 10, 2018
This is the moment when I asked myself, Why is this drama/movie so popular?, and Why a lot of people find this cute or funny or even good?
This was painful to watch, is horrible the way they try to romanticize the idea of being treated like that, every scene is worst than the one before, so I don't get how can a lot of people can like this drama, is so cringy to watch and I can't see the point of the story at all.
She doesn't have a reason to like him, cause he treats her horrible, so how can she fall in love in between all he does to her.
For me personally the problem was the story, even if the acting is pretty good and I actually love Kento, but I can't like the 2 main characters at all, he is awful, I kind of get the idea of the bad boy, since a lot of dramas/movies use this kind of character but in this case, he is not likable at all, they don't give any reason for being like that, and even if they would, that doesn't justify his behavior. There are some other dramas with this kind of main character that actually are likable for example You're beautiful or Hana Kimi... And for her, what can I say?, like seriously you like being treated like this.
Just in overall I don't think is correct to make this plot romantic, cause is not. I know is just a movie/drama but their target is teen people, so is a bad example of behavior. I don't recommend.

Avari20
Sep 15, 2017
I am legitimately pissed off at this movie.

The good: The heroine is friggin' adorable. She's funny, sweet, and totally relatable. She was bullied in middle school and decided to make a "new" her by changing schools. I liked the story of her personal journey, ie learning to start conversations, making friends, etc. She was also totally adorable with the "angel" boy.

The bad: That friggin' devil. The first twenty minutes made me hate his guts. There is nothing likable about him. He force-kissed her, grabbed her by the chin roughly, and yelled in her face so many times I wanted to reach into the screen and punch HIM. He was the really cheap version of Tsukasa Doumyogi, who had least gave me hints that he wasn't all bad. I waited and waited for his character to go through some kind of transformation, at least to realize he's being a complete and utter asshole to her, but it never happened. I was actually mad at HER when she started looking at him differently, because he had literally done nothing to earn her trust or affection or even friendship. He was an asshole up to the very end.

I would not recommend this to anybody, much less someone who is actually looking for real romance in a film/drama.

ephermal
Jan 6, 2018

Questionable for ethics, targets a very specific demographic.

In this movie, the cringe is high and realism is low. Character development is nonexistent, the main male protagonist did not reflect on his actions and continued to boast an abusive demeanour. I'm sure many will romanticize this attitude because of his visuals, but the story would not play out the same had it been your average guy.

Other than the undeveloped plot and the message it gave about disregarding unhealthy relationships, the actors did well delivering their roles (though weighed down by the plot). I don't recommend this movie if you're looking for thoughtful development and story-line, but rather for just experiencing all the cheesy and fantasy-like moments. I don't think I'll watch this again.

lishy tuadles
Jun 11, 2018
I still don't get rid the feeling that this movie provided me so much joy since I already watched this long long time ago. The excitement, the giggles and the cuteness of this movie satisfy my taste. The casts are ridiculously good looking most especially the main actors. The chemistry is very intense that my heart beats so fast whenever they will project a romance part.

The movie foretell about an interesting relationship the dominant and submissive relationship. Nowadays, it is not new to us about this kind of relationship as what we have seen in "Fifty Shades of Grey". Yeah it is somewhat like the American movie but in mild way somewhat a "manga" thing of romance that is suitable to young audiences.

As what I saw in this movie, being submissive is a habit of being used to by the the dominant one. Plus the weakness of the female cast Yu Akahane (Nana Komatsu) makes her vulnerable for being the subject of ridicule and perhaps being a submissive one. As for the Haruto (Kento Nakajima) aka Black Devil, at first I don't like the way he treated the female cast because of the brutality which is a "No-No" in this era. But whatever the era might be, there are still like him in today's generation. But the nice thing of his character is that he has soft part of being him. He has a heart and gentleness which i not projected in his image as dominant. For Takumi (Yudai Chiba) aka white prince, he projects the kind of man that a woman wishes for somewhat who is kind and protected especially the emotion. In spite of his soft spoken personality, he is so manly enough to face defeat and letting go of the feeling he has with the girl.

The most giggling part that i could never get up of my bed is the blackout scene wherein Haruto barged to Yu's seat then bitten her ear passionately and leaving with her a kiss mark that Haruto made. That was the second time he bitten the girl on her ear. The passion that they have together is like an eruption of sexiness. Very intense. i don't mind repeatedly watching it all over again.

ghostworld97
Sep 4, 2018
I really loved the last 3 minutes of this film!! The ending made me feel super happy. I would honestly just re-watch the whole movie just to get excited about those last few minutes. I did have a couple of major issues with the submissive aspect of the romance and was glad that the main character sort of managed to stand up for herself in the end. I also didn't like how the two main love interests decided to battle it out for her love. I just felt like it severely reduced my enjoyment of the story since I felt like they didn't really care about the girl's decision.

nicoleanntf
Oct 18, 2017
I'm not sure how I feel about this movie.
I enjoyed it but I also cringed half of the time.
Let me just tell you that it has soo much of those cheesy  scenarios that you would expect on typical japanese high school love stories.
If you like cool guys that bullies or annoys the girl she likes *tsundere alert* Go watch this movie.

In all fairness the actors did a good job in portraying their characters. It felt like I was watching an anime movie the whole time. And you have to admit that the tsundere aura really suits Nakajima Kento!

Long story short this movie is 60% tsundere 40%  back hugs. *not that it's a bad thing* lol

June
Apr 2, 2018
The movie (and the special) just... didn't do it for me. God knows I usually enjoy shojo manga live actions, even if they're kind of wanky, but this one... I really can't.

I do read the manga and sort of enjoy it... But this live action just emphasized the flaws of the storyline and it's just not working for me.
We get a lot of weak/passive heroines in shojo manga and as much as I prefer stronger-willed heroines, I don't really hate passive ones. HOWEVER, here her evolution from one state to another is so abrupt it makes unrealistic. She's so shy she complies to Kurosaki... but then she finds the strength to talk back, to revert to super shy... Going from one extreme to another, I'm extremely puzzled about her personality.
Kurosaki is the main reason the plot just doesn't work for me. This is plain abuse. Reading it in the manga is one thing, but seeing it 3D just made me feel uncomfortable. It's not even remotely close to the playful teasing one can find in shojo manga, because the male lead expresses his love through bullying the girl. It makes it that much harder to appreciate the moment he's being sweet. I mean Kurosaki and the heroine switch so radically it almost makes them look bipolar.

The acting was ok, not bad, not good... I like the actors and find them convincing... Maybe the fact the scenario and the characters just don't work for me makes it that I can't be convinced by their performance... How can I be convinced the actress is in love with the dude if I believe it is nonsense to fall for someone who behaves this way?

I didn't notice the music, appart from the ending song, but I didn't think it wasn't matching the movie, so I give it a ok.

I actually forgot I watched that already... so I watched it today because it was in my plan to watch list and I was in the mood for some shojo live action... Well... While watching it I would remember I already watched the scene that was on... and kept watching because I thought I must have stopped halfway because I didn't remember what happened next... Well I did that for the two SP and the movie until the very end, to realize I actually had already watched it all. So my rewatch value is ; not something that leaves an impression on you... But I definitely think I like even less than the first time I watched it, because now I'm sure I'm gonna remember how I didn't enjoy that at all.

Amy
Apr 7, 2018
The Black Devil and the White Prince depicts the triangular love between two best friends and the new girl. Akabane is the girl who has this ugly duckling to beautiful swan transformation and ends up living at a dorm at a new school. This showcase of her on-and-off relationship with Kurosaki really adds to the overall theme where the main character poorly treats the female lead, and their feelings begin to develop. Of course the long-term friendship between Kurosaki and Shirakawa is also the factor that adds to the overall plot of the story and how they settle their overlapping feelings for Akabane. It's a very simple story but is enjoyable to watch. There's always a hint of the true feelings between all of the characters that strengthens the love triangle between the three characters. It's also slightly focused on the idea of Akabane becoming someone where she's confident in herself, due to her experience from middle school.

It's a good movie / drama and I would highly recommend watching the prequel before the movie since it adds a lot more context to the story and how everything developed.

Ramsha
Jun 1, 2018
this movies gives the total anime feel. its like watching an anime but, it humanized. there were many hilarious, adorable and romantic scenes. I enjoyed them all. I also liked how the story was a love triangle. and there were so many things that contributed to making this love triangle even more complex and hard to get out of. 2 guys fight for 1 girl. this is also a drama and then there is a sequel after this. so if you want to know how everything was before she had her transformation/glowup then you gotta watch the show. it goes DRAMA, MOVIE THEN THE SEQUEL. just stating the order is you are interested. this movie can also be found on YouTube. that's where I watched it. Have fun. Hope you enjoy.

Daisuke
Jul 14, 2018
This is more or less a reflection of my comments on Kurosaki-kun (2015) as they are much the same anyway. Cool, done really well - a potentially far from amusing bully-masochist theme played very adeptly to finally bring out the comic slant. The clue to this happens quite soon in the movie. Nakajima's earlier delinquent role Bad Boys J obviously gave him suitable experience for this movie and Kurosaki-kun 2015 also. Some might say Kurosake was OTT and Akahane OTT passive but that's actually the nature of manga, it doesn't generally do "refined" (does it??) I would re-watch this as it's short and funny and suitable for a night when you need undemanding relaxation or cheering up.