Imaginary Cat

• Ranked: #2039

rachel
Feb 2, 2016
Imaginary Cat - I can’t fathom who thought of this show, because it is a BRILLIANT idea. A talking sassy cat who loves and cares for her human? Yes please.

If you go into this show having great expectations just because Yoo Seung Ho picked it, don’t. The show isn’t meant to be absolutely fantastic or great. It’s a down-to-earth and humble drama with a simple story. I always looked forward to watching a new episode of this show because it wasn’t too heavy or required a lot of commitment into the characters. The characters are written very simply, without excessive or comprehensive backstories.

I really enjoyed the personification of the cat. For starters, the cat is adorable. The voiceover for the cat is really cute. The central relationship is between Yoo Seung Ho’s character and the cat, and I love that the show never lost sight of that.

Yoo Seung Ho is evidently the star of the show, not just because he plays the lead character, It’s also pretty clear in terms of acting ability. But that’s really fine. It didn’t ruin the show for me in any way. There isn't much to comment on in respect of the acting of the rest of the cast in the show.

Overall, a great choice for a light and brief watch. After you finish the show it won’t linger on your memory much, except for the fact that you may love cats afterwards.

Marooya
Jan 13, 2016
**This is a very personal review**

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains UNAWAKENED" I wholeheartedly agree and believe in every word.

I cried myself to sleep every time I finished one ep of this drama it's been a wonderful but painful journey. I'm not someone who cries easily not in real life and not for movies or dramas. Imaginary Cat touches a personal issue for me and every ep it felt "bittersweet". I'd laugh while watching and cry while sleeping. The drama has brought back beautiful flashbacks (which I never forgot) but it has also torn my heart into pieces like no drama ever did.

I'm a pet owner who had her heart torn into pieces the moment she lost her beloved companion and it took me forever to collect the pieces. I knew if I start this drama it would kill me a thousand times every time I watch that beautiful friendship that wonderful inexplainable bond, though I knew it I couldn't stop myself from doing so. I didn't care how many times this will kill me I didn't care how long will it take me I to recover and move on after this I just had to watch it (Bok Gil is a Scottish Fold cat and my cat was a Scottish Fold how can I possibly not watch it?). This drama is a gift to all those who lost a beloved pet, it's a gift sent to me how can I not watch it...

Thank you Imaginary Cat Team for this priceless gift to me and to all animal lovers and pet owners in the dramaland. Finally a drama which speaks of the beautiful bond between a human and an animal. Finally This wonderful bond this amazing relationship this unconditional love this unexplained attachment is presented in K drama. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Imaginary Cat:

Story
Jong Hyun (Yoo Seung Hoo) is an orphan, he has problem socialising with people. He find it hard to express his feelings so he ends up isolating himself from others. He has lost someone he cared for in a tragic way and from that point on Jong Hyun has always been building up walls between him and any person who approaches him. He is cold and mean on the surface because he doesn't want to open up to anyone but his cat Bok Gil. Though Bok Gil is a cat in the drama they make it easy for you to understand her character through her thoughts (narrative voice).

This is a beautiful story between two abandoned friends/companions who found each other. Jong Hyun's love for Bok Gil and their relationship is something beyond words, words never could describe the bond between humans and pets it's forever a mystery only people who owns pets understands. Give this drama a chance and look beyond what the description is trying to say and maybe you can feel it and understand it too.

While watching Imaginary Cat eps I envied every moment and every scene between Jong Hyun and Bok Gil, watching them together was both happiness and despair it was a reminder that I no longer have those moments anymore all I have are flashbacks and an everlasting pain.

Acting
If you see the scenes between those two (Jong Hyun and Bok Gil) you will hardly believe its acting!! Those two were flawless!! You can act/fake out relationship between humans but how can you act fake out relationship with an animal? this isn't a just normal pet story the story is completely focused on the relationship between those two. As a pet owner myself I must say the chemistry The love displayed here didn't feel fake or acted out those two were so believably breathtaking.

You Seung Hoo: the more I watch him the more I'm proud of him. When this boy cries my heart truly aches he is the only actor that does that to me. YSH and the cat were perfect combination I don't think it would have felt the same without YSH I'm sincerely thankful and gratful to him for taking this role.

The cat owner should be very proud of her I know I am.

Music
Beautiful melodies

Rewatch
How can I not rewatch it I would gladly take all the pain of rewatching it again if I can enjoy watching those two again. Bittersweet.

Overall
To some this might be a silly drama and to some this might be cute drama, I know it's hard to sell a drama such as this one unless you are a pet owner yourself. I don't know if my review did this drama justice it may be a selfish emotional review (I apologise if it feels this way to you) I only know that it's only right to express my sincerest feelings for the drama. This review has been written with my tears all over it, I hope there is someone out there who loved this drama in the passionate way I did

Louise
May 11, 2016
My first review so I hope to please everyone.

I started watching the suggestion of a friend and did not expect to much but I ended up being conquered such the cuteness of the plot and of course, the protagonist with his pet cat. Yoo Seung Ho squandered cuteness and I identified a lot with his story. I loved his chemistry with Bok Gil cat.

I really liked how this cat acting that really seemed to know what he was doing and to know the truth script. The good of the plot is that inserted a voice for the character, so all the time we can hear what the Bok Gil is thinking. It did not seem out of the ordinary as if she examine everything that was around him but a simple cat dropping some comments related to their feelings at times. I wanted to have a cat like this.

Another person who was part of the plot and that I really liked was the character of Cho Hye Jung who got to know the main accident and eventually became part of his life. Your search for the missing cat was something that really captivated me with his love for kittens.

The secondary characters also not left behind and made me like more of the plot as the best friend of Jong Hyun and the owner of the bookstore as their peculiar way of being. I really liked the small share of the Solar Mamamoo group.

This drama has a perfect ost and I could not contain my joy at BTS in one scene. I hope more people can watch this very beautiful drama as they will not regret it.

ChiliLang
Jan 27, 2017
I love how they make a cat its own character, as if it was human. Being a cat lover, this drama was one of my favorites. It was very cute and the main female lead was amazing. Character development was very good and acting was incredible. It must have been hard acting so dramatic for a cat that you don't really own. But anyways, it is a very good drama to watch for a break from studying.
May 23, 2018
A short drama about a cat and her owner. The story, overall, was cute and it kept the interest high throughout the whole drama, so kudos for that. Also the length, 8 episodes for about 30 minutes, was efficient enough. I was actually afraid that the short length would have deprived the drama of a quality plot, but it actually didn't. The performances were really good as well. I have to give a warning though: the ending was super sad. Finally, one thing that I didn't like about this drama was that the girl was kind of annoying. But other than that, it was an enjoyable drama.

ChainedKarma
Mar 22, 2016
Imaginary Cat is a sweet time-filler for when you just want to watch something cute, pure and simple; whether that's between much heavier dramas or between life chores.

I enjoyed it. Not loads but it's a memorable one. (Hey, it is a sassy, talking cat we're on about here!) The story has a really sweet and easygoing appeal. It felt a bit like reading someone's blog of a diary with it's slice of life feel. It's a very relaxing little series and a VERY welcome few half-an-hour chunks of relief in between 16 hour long emotional roller-coasters. A necessary time-out in my opinion. The plot has its odds and ends with little questions still niggling at the back of my head, but as a whole it progressed and wrapped up well without feeling rushed.

The acting was good but not really anything that will go down in the history books. The same goes for the music. Both get the job done and well but they're nothing amazing.

Now that I've been there and done that though, I don't think I'll be rewatching it any time soon. It's cute, sure, very cute, dashed here and there with giggles and the occasional sad tear, but I have a feeling it'll become like one of my old books I read four years ago and am only just now feeling like going for it again.

I'd recommend this to anyone just getting into Kdrama or even just looking for a break between more serious series. Don't set your standards too high and you'll have a very refreshing, feel-good time.

erica
Mar 5, 2016
I enjoyed watching Imaginary Cat. It reminded me of the Japanese movie, Kimi to Boku. Animal lovers will definitely love this drama, as well as making their hearts flutter. Yoo Seung Ho (as always) has done a magnificent job playing Jonghyun. He presented a very relatable character in this one.

One thing I didn't enjoy here is the female lead. I don't know if it's just me but I find the character soooo annoying! (I'm not sure if it's the character or the actress or the way she delivered her role that I hate, though.)

Solar surprised me, I hope she acts more! And the rapport between her and YSH was good, she looked pro to me.