The Promise (2016) poster

Cheatin' Hearts
My To Watch list

purplenette
Jun 26, 2016
Heaven's Promise is one of the best makjang revenge melodramas that I have ever watched. There were so many birth secrets that it is a wonder someone didn't marry a parent or sibling. LOL The story wasn't really anything new, but it is wonderfully absurd. I can't tell you how many times I laughed during this drama, but I also cried a few times (I rarely cry watching drama). It is weird how connected I felt to the main female lead regardless of story line. I think what I liked most about this is that the main female lead has plenty of support and she is smart. I get tired of the "good guys" searching for revenge being stupid and alone with maybe one or two people to help. I was bothered by a few things though.
Again, it annoys me when the "bad guys" don't even understand what they did wrong. Also, the ending left a lot to be desired. There is plenty of crazy for every character though.

I'm totally in to Lee Yoo Ri. Even that I'm not going to feel anything stare she had to have for part of the drama made me feel something. She played both Lee Na Yeon and Baek Do Hee really well. I could definitely tell them apart regardless of hair because they had different personalities. The transformation Na Yeon goes through after the tragedy is palpable.
All of the other actors are good too, but Kim Hye Ri stole the show as Park Yoo Kyung. I love to hate her.

The music is good.

I probably won't rewatch this. Once is enough.

If you like revenge dramas, then this is one of the best. I recommend this to everyone. Just ignore the absurdity of the plot. LOL :-)

tina
Jun 30, 2017
It was overall a really tempting drama to watch, and I really recommend it. It had me go through all these kinds of emotions, and I'm totally on Na Yeon's side! Even though her revenge might be cruel, what she had to go through, was really painful, and Se Byul- you are the most cutest girl in the whole world, rest in peace. Tae Joon was such a dumba*s for leaving Na Yeon for wealthiness, honestly. Even though, for some reason I still felt bad for Tae Joon, because he did and still loved Na Yeon even if he did mary Se Jin. He was one of the first people that recognized it was Na Yeon, not actually Do Hee. And credits to you, Hwi Kyung!! Even though he knew it wasn't Do Hee, he still loved Na Yeon, even if she rejected him a billion times. Sorry for spoiling those who didn't watch the show yet, hehe. But IT WAS A GREAT KDRAMA.