Padiwaradda (2016) poster

The best thai lakorns
66 titles 71 loves 1

MusicalVeggies
Jun 29, 2017
I decided to write a review for this show seeing that not many people have written one for it, poor thing, and it is certainly not a bad show by any means for it to be so neglected. So here goes...

STORY (No spoilers)
For me, the idea of a couple gradually growing to love each other through an arranged marriage is an appealing concept because I am someone who carries the belief that while passion and romantic love is great for its drama and high tension, it doesn't stand the test of time. What stands the test of time is the love and devotion that comes from slowly knowing a person for who he/ she is, faults and all, and still choosing to forgive and accept the person into your heart, and to strive to make things work. Warm, gentle love vs explosive passion = warm gentle love wins for me. So, the fact that this is not your average dramatic, explosive slap/ kiss Thai lakorn, already makes this a very different beast.

The story is set in a sort of 1950s setting - love the period feel of it with the fashion and the sets. The pace might be a bit slow for those who are used to fast-paced, snappy, dramatics. By contrast, it has a relaxed, dreamy feel here. The show takes it sweet time in showing us the background of the main characters, and bulk of it is focused on your everyday living during that era.

However, this show is not exempt from the some of the usual drama tropes of bitchy second female lead. I am honestly shocked at her outrageous and ridiculous behaviour. And I am not sure if it is dramatic license or not, but some of the scenes with her come across incredibly unrealistic to me. There is also a running plot through the series of a criminal group which the main male lead is supposed to apprehend. The leader of the group, the White Tiger, practices black magic and uses it for nefarious purposes. Some of this will probably seem rather far-fetched to a viewer who does not subscribe or believe in this sort of thing, but as I come from an Asian/ Oriental culture myself, I do know that some people really do believe in this sort of thing. So, if this aspect of the show does not float your boat, feel free to ignore or fast-forward those scenes. I certainly did that myself and found that it did not detract much from the main storyline which was about how the two main leads fall for each other gradually through living with each other and discovering more about one another.

There are other secondary couplings (the 2 sisters of the female lead), but I freely confess that they did not really catch my attention because my main focus throughout this series was on the 2 main leads. But these events certainly lend some drama and also break what some people might deem as monotonous from watching the 2 main leads interact.

I personally did not find the slowness and the gradual budding love and understanding between the main leads to be monotonous or boring in the slightest. In fact this was really the sole reason I kept watching this series to the end because, as I mentioned earlier, I am a sucker for gradual building of love and trust, and for gentle and warm love.

I also particularly liked the sort of themes the show explored, about the type and kind of person one looks for in a life partner, and the kind of flexing and compromising one has to make in a relationship in order to make things work. Because life can be long and paths can be difficult, and it is good for the characters to examine what sort of life partner they would want to have with them as they make this sort of journey. Not many lakorns explore such wide, over-arching concepts and values, so this lakorn has more depth and dimension in itself, compared to loads of others out there.

PS: The editing can also be rather choppy - one of the negative things about this show. Scenes are abruptly cut with the accompanying background music also suddenly ceasing and before you know it, a completely new scene and background music jumps in. This makes for a jarring watch, especially when it happens at particularly emotional/ poignant scenes. The editing could definitely do with more work.
PPS: On hindsight, those sudden breaks of scene could very likely be due to advertisement breaks during the show's airing.

ACTING/ CHARACTERS
As I was mainly fixated on the 2 main leads, this will be my main review point.
BELLA RANEE -  who plays Rin aka Brulalee, did well in portraying her to be the sort of noble gentlewoman of high society. Generally restrained, gentle and refined, I enjoyed her character and personality very much. I also like that she comes across very hands-on with the housework (though who really cooks in the kitchen with those outfits?), and is not a wilting wallflower when she feels strongly about something. Rin is not a one-dimensional character, and I like that she is relatable and realistic (unlike the caricaturish second female lead).

JAMES JIRAYU - who plays Saran, looks rather young to be a Deputy Sheriff and the male lead, but I warmed up to him because unlike your alpha-male dominant character, Saran comes across confident but not too aggressive or over-bearing. He is also humanly flawed. What I do like about this lakorn is that Saran rather quickly warms up to Rin and is willing to give her a chance and make things work out with her early in the show. James makes it easier to like his Saran character and understand his conflicts. He has a sweet smile and can carry the occasional cheeky look, which makes his character rather cute at times.

Also, I thought that the 2 main leads looked good together and there is a comfortable natural-ness to their acting which makes their love and warmth believable. It is on the strength of this great chemistry that I enjoyed the series as much as I did, so well done to both James and Bella for their portrayal of their characters in making me like them and root for their happy ending.

MUSIC
I actually like the soundtrack and thought that it suited the mood and the pace of the show very well. There is this slow, dreamy mellow feel to the music which is very reminiscent of the period itself. However, towards the later half, I thought the theme songs for Rin and Saran were starting to get over-played. it would have been nice if they had changed the songs from the second half of the show onwards to prevent song-fatigue.

RE-WATCH
I probably would not re-watch the entire show again but I may re-watch certain bits of it for the Saran/Rin interactions because they were lovely and sweet. Overall, it is a lovely, sweet, warm and slow-build little show. If you like this sort of style and premise, then you really should consider giving this a try - it certainly won't disappoint you on that front.

shibachibi
Mar 28, 2016
As a fan of James, I had to watch this. This had a Neung Nai Suang 2015 feel at first mainly due to the time setting and, of course, the fact that James was also the male protagonist. I'd say, though, that's where the similarities stop. Differently from Neung Nai Suang 2015, where the main character's love relationship is extremely childish and lacking in communication, Padiwarada delivers a very mature perspective of love and that was intensely refreshing for me. The concept that love is something you build over years of understanding and caring for the other is rarely explored in dramaland and in my opinion, was well presented in this drama.

Rin was a good female protagonist, had great sense and presence. From beginning to end I admired her and, to be sincere, if I ever come to marry I hope I'll be able to be at least 30% of the wife she was. Even when the female rival plotted against her and Saran's wedding, she always acted accordingly with elegance. It's hard to find a main character like her in dramaland in general, so I was really surprised to find one in a lakorn of all things.

I think some of that also applies to Saran. From the moment he started opening up to Rin (what happened really early, another good surprise) he was really sweet. The only thing about him that made me a little mad was that he was too gentle for his own good at times. His first love didn't deserve 1% of his consideration towards her... That bitch really irritated me.

Now, besides the usual bitch character that is always present in any romance drama there is, the only other thing that I must complain about was the "White Tiger" and his magic thing. For me, that part of the lakorn was totally unnecessary and what would cause me distress if I ever were to recommend this to someone who isn't really into dramas and lakorns in special. Watching that part made me extremely silly, I wasn't even believing what I was watching at times and every time someone would enter my room I would simply stop watching out of embarrassment. I mean, really... Magic powers and all that in that kind of setting was horrible. This wasn't supposed to be a fantasy drama!!

The OST didn't really stand out to me. I would rewatch this only to see Saran's and Rin's beautiful relationship develop again. I just wish there were more kisses on the mouth instead of kisses on the forehead (which was seriously over used... I mean, there was this one episode where I counted at least five of them!!!)

asiandramafan
Dec 30, 2017
One of the rare down to earth lakorns.

I honestly admired RIn,  she was very patience, caring, loving, and her skills, she cooks, cleans, she plants, make perfumes. I don't think that I have got half of her skills as a wife.   She protected her calmness when her husband's ex-gf suddenly came to destroy her wedding.  She endured her even after getting married.

I loved the advice the mother give to her daughters. " Do you think marriage is like fairy tales that you read in book"  & about a heart can change.

Saran's ma advices to her son...     " Love is like pen & paper " " Spoon & Fork"  you can love / marry  someone out of your circle ( matching-suitor- someone richer - poorer- different culture-beliefs-religion etc ) but this may not always work.  (this type of relationships)

Saran & Ri they slowly fall in love,  Although I'm against arranged marriages, but arranged marriages still exists and not all ends up like Saran & Ri's.

When you fall in love slowly, you learn to respect, but when you marry someone you already know / in love, after a while you lose that spark,

This lakorn is set in 1950's and you can that vibe from the music, outfit, cars & surroundings. I really really enjoyed the OST,  it was pleasant almost very relaxing.

Also we have Villains called White Tiger,  who uses black magic, now this is not everyone's cup of tea for me it's the power of the words. Believing into something  too much and making  it real.

She has two younger sisters, One gets married after her but her marriage crumbles down in a short time. Saran's friend is wooing Rin's little sister, she's the only clever one after Rin.

Sisters  don't get much screen time.  I totally recommend it. It's not your usual lakorn

No matter what I love the connection between three sisters,  we only see the two of them arguing it's Rin & the middle sister, that's because  Saran refused to help her husband on his illegal rice exporting business,  (that reminded me something very  similar happened in my family when my mother was still a child funny enough in the 1950's like in this lakorn.   All three of them were protective of each other, none of the other sisters made Ri felt like she's adopted,  but she always slept with the maid, until Saran's friend starts to investigate.  Her story sort of reminded me of Cinderella, how she was doing all the housework while her step  sisters are   socializing.
She hopes that her husband will be back and take her so they can continue to live together but the end all she got is a failure from her husband.

Ri's story towards the end may surprise you

I love how both mothers were good towards Rin, except the bitchy ex & stupid White Tiger everything is all ok.

If you find the ex gf annoying like me, just wait through the end she's gonna get a nice slap by Rin's sister.

What I love about Korean, Chinese - Thai Dramas they use karma ..  being quite spiritual myself I believe in karma.

Megan
May 26, 2018
Overall I really liked this show. The main characters were flawed with hang-ups about their backgrounds, but generally likeable.

The best things about this show were the variety of relationships and the implications for duty, love, loyalty, and conflicts in fulfilling roles/obligations. The show put a lot of effort into showcasing how motive in a relationship can impact its success, contrasting various couples to support its philosophy.

This isn't a spoiler since it is spelled out in the summary and the first part of the show: My big annoyance was that the show would sometimes forget its own facts. Rin wasn't always a full daughter of the house - although she received the same education as the girls, she shared a room with the maid! Although one reason Saran was hesitant about Rin was because he knew she wasn't the real eldest child, he WAS tempted by Duang and continued to give her opportunities, even later when he should have figured out just how toxic/unstable she is.

The one thing missing from this show for me was that it never fully recognized that Saran gave Rin no good reason to trust in him. Given the situation, I'd be like Rin and have one foot out the door also. Still, the show did better than most at being steady paced and charming.

btsgomo
May 3, 2019
Y'all I binged this in like 2 days. It was a pretty good watch, nice dose of binge.

I found this lakorn to be so refreshing! What I loved so much about this drama was the relationship between the two leads. FL was headstrong, graceful, and knows when she's being disrespected, and she doesn't resort to nasty jabs. Class. ML is a tough little cookie but also a warm bowl of sweetness sending butterflies to my belly. At first, they don't really have an understanding as to why they needed to be in each other's lives, but as they start to grow closer, their relationship was built on the foundation of friendship that grew into love. ML is definitely a committed man to the woman he loves, it's just that he was still getting over his Ex of 10 years when he got married to FL. It took him sometime to figure out why that relationship was doomed to end, and to rediscover the world of love with a more compatible person who supports him and understood his passion for justice.

Positives:
- supportive couple discovering romance along with friendship
- ML and his mother's relationship ( I liked watching mom teaching him life lessons and FL as well)
- FL is not a pushover. She stands up to those that are disrespectful to her, even ML and Nang'Rai (the Ex aka evil Ex).
- FL is SMART. She uses her brain and trust in ML to overcome stupid misunderstandings that we see other FL struggle in other dramas time after time.
- The two leads are innocent and sweet each time they are on screen.
- Addicting story line in terms of romance
- ML is sugar and spice. A nice equation of sexy and cute. Great character with scars and insecurities. He is patient mostly, and respectful of FL when it comes to intimacy. (A+)
- ML and FL actually try to work things out like a married couple which is a nice touch of reality.

Negatives:
- OMG Evil Ex was a one dimensional character (not rare in Lakorns) She was just evil for no flipping reason, although it is explain that she's always been selfish
- Evil Ex was given way too much tolerance by EVERYONE. Like WHY? Even in scenes where she isn't necessary, her ass would be there saying crap and no one cares to kick her to the curb.
- One annoying ass second male lead that is heads over heels for FL
- Some cliches I didn't care for
- FL's sisters love lives and stories overall were boring and filler
- Sorry I love ML but his job of catching the criminals, I mostly skipped.
- Don't really understand when FL fell for ML, might have to rewatch
-ML is too handy with a gun, made me a little nervous. lol.

OST:
- sweet, loving, chill, beautiful, romantic
- overused though

MoonBeam
May 31, 2018
I am really surprised that i would like a Thai drama to be so good. Well lots have been said by other reviewers so a brief list of why i consider this one a great watch

1. Good insight into thai culture such as marriage ceremony - dialogues, story, direction - location and camera everything was superb according to me - all lose ends and situations were well thought of and tied up - eg; the sunflower following the sun its context in the drama is well explained and such interest to details makes this drama a great watch - the period setting was so on the dot you are literally transported to that world
2. Lovely acting and chemistry between leads - they share alot of screen time together and the romance between them is one of the few longest and sweetest Ive watched of any dramas
3. spiritual messages interspersed on various situations in life is given as advice by the mothers to their children - i liked it a lot
also messages such as the need for a country and its citizens to not indulge in corruption and its effect etc make the drama worthy of watching
4. Great camera work the opening scenes and food layout on their breakfast/ lunch tables look so beautiful. Music is also really enjoyable (though i dint understand a word - sounds very pleasant to the ear)
5. Realistic story about how marital life and how a couple grow into partners and family
6. Even in the adopting family everyone is shown with a good heart and have good understanding - even mother/ sisters are not shown as the evil step mother/ stepsisters type- which was refreshingly different for me.
7. Some people may be put off by the black magic and spells used by bandits but this shows the reality and culture where gullible villages in asia still strongly believe and practice such things
But the best message is when one practices goodness and has blessings and prayers of a lot of people it protects and helps overcome- i can relate to such beliefs

I thought of rating it 9 or so but the ex girlfriend was quite annoying but I felt the story needed a villain as almost everyone is portrayed as upright and ethical - so excused it as any drama would need something to test the couple so its understandable. But her repeated shameless attacks are a bit too much and doesnt match too well with the overall sensibilities and sophistication displayed by other characters.
Also the lead guys inferiority complex and his indulgence towards his ex and repeatedly allowing her take advantage of him is a little bit of a downer.

On the whole the lead couple and their chemistry onscreen is so sweet that hardly forwarded any parts as i was afraid of missing a nice dialogue or scene- on the whole dont miss it

Azet
Nov 2, 2018
"Padiwarada" aired first in 2016 and became one of the top watched lakhorns that year,and i am not surprised at all about it.Not either why Bella and James are koo-jins,their chemistry are totally explosive in this one,and i never got enough of them.Their intense relationship from the start,to the growing love, to them being together are very beautiful and i love both Bella and James with all my heart.I love this lakhorn so much!

The brave-hearted sheriff Saran (Hero) have got his heart broken by his first love.To make him get over her his mother reminds another family of a promise they made many years ago,a arranged marriage between their children once they become adults.The family let their adopted daughter,the kind-hearted Rin enter the marriage.Both Rin and Saran slowly fall in love with each other,but their love will be tested when secrets,duties and a jealous ex-girlfiend come between them.