A Taxi Driver (2017) poster

BlueMind
Sep 11, 2017
Before you even consider watching this movie, be prepared to have your heart moved beyond return.

Where do I even begin with the beautiful movie? I watched this movie in the cinemas without any idea what I was going to be watching, no trailer and no synopsis at all. But the movie captivated me from the beginning. On surface level, it seems like a light-hearted, slice of life type movie revolving around a loving father and his daughter, but little did I know it was so, so, so much more than that.

There’s so much to say about this movie, but I’ll start with entertainment factors. If you enjoy plotlines that are based of real-life stories, tackle the human experience, explore history and how they shaped the world today, all whilst mixed with comedy here and there, then this is for you. If you have no idea whether or not you like any of the just mentioned, then this movie essentially follows the experience of a normal human stuck in a political revolution. Now, some of you might hear politics and cringe instantly, but A Taxi Driver manages to convey the whole plotline and context effortlessly without delving deep into the political history at all, making it a foreigner friendly film if you don’t know much about Korean political history.

A Taxi Driver also really does an amazing job at capturing human emotion. There are parts of the movie that are just so raw, sometimes you hate the main character, sometimes you love him, but despite whatever his actions, we could still understand and sympathise. Of course some of the situations are probably dramatized for effect from the true story, but in terms of the overall context of protests and uprising, it definitely conveys the aspects involved in these parts of history.

I would definitely recommend a packet of tissues and some social justice warrior spirit to watch this. Overall I think it’s a very important film because it really sheds light on some issues that we take for granted today (e.g. a free media!). So if you’re not really into this type of entertainment, I would still suggest you watch this just to learn a little more about things like protests and democracy.

Oct 17, 2017
A very well written and impressive film ...
From narration to performance to performance to presentation: it is perfect in each and every aspect. The change in the tone of the film was extremely well brought. The screenplay is not disappointing, and the film appears as a refreshing and memorable experience. Cinematography is top notch as it does not take much time to present and configure the characters as well as the plot.
Connected  to the characters, the actors delivered extremely excellent  performances, so far as the technical aspects of the film are top notch.  The visuals are breathtaking and the story is well captured by a first-rate cinematography. The  action sequences of the film are another great highlight as they induce  a lot of emotion along with the tension as to what would happen next. The film is not extremely violent and therefore recommended in the family. There is no vulgarity or obscenity in this movie. very good.

PrashastSingh
Feb 25, 2018
(First of all, let me tell you all that the user Senpai has copied my review from IMDb on this site, so don't think I'm the one who copied)

I've been highly impressed long time by Song Kang-ho, and I've been watching many of his movies since later few months. I was highly excited to watch his new historical action drama A TAXI DRIVER, because the trailer was highly impressive. It showed how the film would turn out to be. I just wanted to see it as soon as possible and I finally got the opportunity.

A TAXI DRIVER, without a second thought, is the best South Korean film I've seen till date. From narration to execution to performances to presentation: it's perfect in each and every aspect. The change in the tone of the film has been brought up extremely well, thanks to its director Jang Hoon. The screenplay is never disappointing throughout, and the film comes out as both a refreshing as well as a memorable experience.

The film's editing is top notch as it doesn't take much of time to introduce and set up the characters as well as the storyline. As the film progresses, you find yourself connected to the characters, especially the ones of Song Kang-ho and Thomas Kretschmann. Both actors have delivered extremely excellent performances, and rather so excellent that I ended up rooting for them completely. When they smiled, I smiled. When they cried, I cried too. Rest of the supporting cast, especially Ryu Jun-yeol and Yu Hae-jin deserve a lot of praise.

The film's technical aspects are top notch. The visuals are breathtaking and the story is well captured by a first-rate cinematography. The film's action sequences are another major highlight, as they induce a lot of excitement along with tension as to what would happen next. The film's not extremely violent, and thus I recommend you to watch it with your family. There's no vulgarity or obscenity in this film.

There are plenty of emotional sequences which make the film a totally unforgettable experience. Watch the film and you won't find it difficult to guess which scenes I'm talking about. Various emotional, thrilling as well as action packed sequences have been elevated by the brilliant music.

A TAXI DRIVER is a hard-hitting film which must be seen not just for its overall excellence but also for the message it delivers to its viewers. It's hard and almost impossible to forget the film, as you're left highly emotional & impressed by the time the credits start to roll. In short, a perfect masterpiece from South Korea!

Kizzy
Nov 13, 2017
Some films are made to entertain and some are made to educate and inform. There is a reason "A Taxi Driver" has become the 15th film in Korean history to surpass the ten million ticket milestone. The story it shares with audiences is one surrounding a dark period of unrest  in South Korean history.

"A Taxi Driver" gives us a glimpse into the true horrors surrounding the 1980 Gwangju Massacre. Fired upon and beaten, some 600 people were killed in an unprecedented attack by the Chun Doo-hwan government. Civilians who rallied to build a democracy for their country were falsely labeled by authorities as "communist sympathizers and rioters," all in an effort to cover up and hide a gruesome truth. This event went on to spark a decade of revolution in South Korea, and eventually led to a transition from military rule to democracy.

The film follows taxi driver Kim Sa-Bok as he transports foreign reporter Hinzpeter into Gwangju. There goal is to unveil the truth to an ignorant world, and their journey is extraordinary.

If you are curious about this film, please watch. It is a story that deserves your attention and recognition. I find it hard to express it's importance in word and can't recommend it enough.

DramaList_Kyo
Mar 4, 2018
This is a film that beautifully captures a nation's pride, sorrow, and shame. For someone who does not enjoy political soapboxing and preaching, this movie does not do that, despite being drenched with historical and political motivation. It focuses on the commonality amongst humans - that is, having humanity and empathy. The personalities presented are indeed painted with the biases of the "model Korean", as acted by Song Kang Ho et al. , but it is not a distracting one because it plays well with the central message(s) of the film.

I came into this movie expecting nothing more than a time-kill, but left with a desire to learn more context; I was very satisfied, even when watching a genre I am unfamiliar with. Deep emotional responses are invoked from the general audience, through typical tactics, but that is nowhere near a fault. While some may argue that this film exploded in popularity because of the Korean political climate near and before its release (i.e. Park Geun Hye), it could have easily stood tall without that added fuel.

kiko
Jun 21, 2018
This movie will move your heart beyond! This story was a story that needed to showed and I can’t imagine any better way than this. Everything that happened in this movie seem so real and surreal at the same time. Surreal comes because starting this movie I never thought it will take such a turn, because it was all comedic and funny. And at one-point reality shows up and BAM it slaps you in the face. And the fact that THIS IS based on true events hurts more.

Acting/ Cast/Characters:
I couldn’t ask for better acting than this. Every person played there part better than expected. It was so good that at one point I thought I m not watching a movie but I am living with them in the same time and space.

Notes
This story will be carved in my heart and memory really well. And if there is anyone who will ask for any movie recommendation this will be the one.

Jianne
Nov 8, 2017
Wow. Just wow. I went to watch A Taxi Driver blind. All I knew was Sang Kang Ho and Ryu Jun Yeol are in it. And it's based on real events. But that's it. I don't know anything about the Gwanju Uprisings nor Jürgen Hinzpeter, the German journalist which Peter is based on. But I left the theatre in tears and in awe.
A Taxi Driver is an incredibly moving, inspiring and brave film. It's a film that honours the bravery of ordinary people, the unsung heroes that battle in the face of fascism and brutality. Taxi drivers, students, journalists—coming together to do one thing: tell the world.

As a journalism student, I have a romanticized view of the type of journalist I want to be—journalists like Peter. Those who risk their life to tell stories that are undiscovered and that are censored. That's the type of journalist I aspire to be. If that's what I'm going to end up becoming is another story. Perhaps that's one reason why the film shook me to my core. Given the political situation in Hong Kong as well and the tension between press freedom and self-censorship here, I feel that, as an aspiring journalist, I have the duty to tell the world things like this—just like Peter, just like Mr. Hinzpeter. And just like Mr. Kim (Sang Kang Ho), who feels that he has the responsibility to his taxi customer—and eventually, to his people.

This is an inspiring film given that to some, especially in a capitalist society (where I'm living), taxi drivers are not seen as honourable jobs. Even today, the reputation of journalists is diminishing. Yet, we have Mr. Kim, a widower who makes-end-meet to provide and care for his 11-year-old daughter as a taxi driver. And despite having to leave his daughter behind and in the face of danger and even death, he owned up to his responsibility.
I will take you to the airport no matter what.

A father that his daughter will forever be proud of.

Perhaps, if you too, see the horror and the brutality that he's seen in Gwangju, you would feel that you have the responsibility to tell the world about it—for a better future for your daughter and future generations. The characters are unsung heroes who are selfless and go through lengths to get the world out there. Jae-sik, a university student (Ryu Jun Yeol) and the taxi drivers.

I have seen many films with Sang Kang Ho in it but to me, this is one of the, if not the best performances of his to date. Sang, a veteran film actor proves his versatility combining comedy and drama and switching between the two with flawless execution. He is the heart of this film. But the soul is the bond, despite short, of the two men: Mr. Kim and Peter. In real life, Hinzpeter tried to search for the real Mr. Kim up until his death in 2016...with no luck. Mr. Kim's son said that his father passed away from cancer four years after the uprising. This film, is a tribute that's too late for the two. And for the other people who helped the two get the word of the Uprising.

Jang Hoon (who worked as an assistant director to Kim Ki Duk) and cinematographer, Go Nak-seon have done a profound job in the film's visuals. The details are apparent and particularly the chase scene between the disguised police and Kim and Peter looks like a sequence out of a dystopian film—a very good parallel to the horror of the fate of the protestors. Its combination of black/red and smoke just produces this eeriness and oozes an apocalyptic mood. That said, the taxi driver vs. military chase scene to me, is an amazing "action" sequence. Not only because of the way it was delivered visually but also emotionally.

Jang and Go makes use of saturated tones to achieve the vintage effect. With occasional slow-motions and close-up particularly during its dramatic sequences (blood flowing out, people getting shot) may perhaps be too sappy for some but it allows not only for drama but also for portraying the horror and a sense of hopelessness. Combine that with hospital scenes and injured protestors of bodies of the deceased—it overwhelms you but it tells you: this is wrong. And that is why we need to tell the world about it.

While A Taxi Driver may be different things like a tribute to the unsung heroes, it also taps on the dangerous roles of foreign correspondents and their local contacts particularly when it comes to war reporting. But this responsibility that we have to tell the world is carried in their heart.
Combining comedy with action is evident in its indoor scene as the characters laugh and cheer only to be swept away by the sound of bombs—looks trying to live normally while caught in the terror of war.

A Taxi Driver is powerful. It is brave. And it is inspiring. Perhaps no words are enough to say how I applaud these people (especially their real life counterparts) on their bravery. No, you don't have to wear a cape to be a hero. You could hold a camera. And you could drive a taxi.

Yup, I definitely cried bucket of tears for this one.

Lina Kei
Oct 25, 2017
I want to talk about this movie to all of the people I value. I'm deeply immersed in korean culture and mostly history. This is historical movie based on real events. Firstly, I thought the movie is only settled in the period and place where the terrible massacre happend. But the whole story is based on an acutal event. The scenes are authentic, there is a lot of blood and the feeling it really happened caused me a goosebumps. I go to Korea from time to time and I can see they really do love their country even tho they sometimes, don't realize.
There is nothing I have disliked. The movie is just amazing and also educating.
Don't watch if you easily get depressions or can't watch too much of someone's torture. I have felt a little bit off for few minutes as well. But I just tried to imagine, how it was at that time, which is not that long ago. The terrible and scary events.

yasmin
Jun 28, 2018
I don't even know how should start to talk about it
I should say I start watching without reading any reviews and I thought it's about a father whos working as a taxi driver to pay for her daughter hospital bills and boy I was wrong
at first, it was very light and soft story that even makes you laugh in some ways
but as the movie went further it became more serious and heartbreaking witch was a very well drift.
I just loved the acting of the characters and the story was very well written.
"A taxi driver" made me laugh, cry, angry so it was a movie that went for all of my feelings
until the very last second, I didn't know that it was based on a true story and I have to tell you after I got that I love it even more so if you're looking for a great movie that is not all sad and dark you should totally watch this
although the movie is carrying some serious and sad facts at the end it won't leave you feeling all empty and sad
so go ahead and watch "A taxi driver" is going to be an awesome 2 hours.