Cold Case: Shinjitsu no Tobira

BadWolf87
Feb 7, 2017
I absolutely enjoyed this series. Though my reasoning may be a bit different than most. I was a huge fan of the original series and to see such a decent recreation was a treat.

I knew most of the original story lines that the episodes were adapted from and the changes they made gave me a very unique experience to be able to actually see the similarities and differences between cultures and time periods. I'm not kidding the original versions were stories set from the 60's to 80's. With this remake most were set in the early 90's, which was pointed out many times that the 90's were twenty years ago. I think I actually cringed and sympathized with my parents now knowing how they felt while watching the original series hahaha! Especially when they used music from that time and you knew you heard it on the radio.

I thought this group of actors portrayed each character wonderfully. In fact there were actual moments, looks and quips that were executed so well that I could even visualize the original actor in that moment.

I think anyone who was a fan of the original will definitely appreciate this remake.

KenWong
Nov 18, 2016
Every country dramas are similar in one way or another. However, this Japanese drama is a re-make of a Hollywood popular drama "Cold Case", that is incredibly unique. They have inserted and blend in a more interesting plot with exciting cases of detective investigation. This drama is strongly recommended. This Japanese is also sponsored by Warner Bros. Yo Yoshida, the experienced actress, plays the main role in this drama. A mature actress that plays the same in Hollywood version in Cold Case as well.

Set in Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan, "Cold Case" follows Yuri Ishikawa (Yo Yoshida) and her team as they try to crack unresolved cold cases.

Drama: Cold Case
Romaji: Korudo Kesu: Shinjitsu no Tobira
Japanese: ?????????????
Director: Takafumi Hatano
Writer: Takahisa Zeze, Yasuhiro Yoshida

Erin
Aug 18, 2018
This show was amazing! So much better than the American version. Seriously, this show needs more episodes; it was one great story after another, one great case after another, and each one got creepier and creepier towards the end! Everything and every character worked well together, some parts were slow or some looked rushed through but you get the gist if you watch the show in order; I had to rewind some bits of (if I remember right) at least 3 episodes to figure out some things, but mostly the episodes were easy to understand! A few cases had me thrown for a loop; it was like some craze was happening in Japan during the shows filming so they just tossed it into the show too, sort of like they were throwing in the newest fad or whatever caught the attention of the newspapers, and that wasn't too bad since it just happened in 2 to 3 episodes but it was kind of annoying and I found myself thinking "wow I hope they don't deal with every case like this".... which of course, they did not! My only issue was I knew and have seen episodes of the American version before, and a few episodes were so similar it was almost like a copy of them, but that doesn't mean the episode or the series was bad; on the contrary, I prefer the Japanese version much more!

Though I do recommend watching this with all the lights on.

sharreb
Oct 7, 2018
A drama in typical J-fashion that was written and directed in a focused manner, yet never fail to deliver a connection with the task force (main cast) and even the guest stars (each crime in a new episode).

The positives:
Plot
Each episode but one delivers a new cold case that needs solving. Unwavering each episode starts moments before a crime took place. The writing dives straight into the task force gathering clues, gathering info, meeting potential suspects. Unlike C or even K dramas that take time (or too much time) developing individual characters of main cast, this drama lets you observe their characters as they so the job. And through each case, we saw how it may connect to the main cast member. How it effected them and drop hints of the ghosts in their closet. Simple interactions as they meet at work or after work allows you to peek into their lives. Its something to pick up on your own, yet its purposeful and never as afterthought.

Character
Captain Ishikawa is like that woman you admire. Who is proficient, efficient and sometimes blunt. Who seems to be steadfast yet rigid in her stance. Who looks calm on the surface but like a deep pool of water, you are attracted to find more about her and indeed theres much in her past that made her the way she is now.

Takagi, the new guy who quickly found his groove with the rest of the team. He seem to see thing on the surface but you come to find out his many strengths, not just as a member of the taskforce but as a person. I find his nature sometimes sweet, sometkmes gullible. But he forms a fascinating contrast to Ishikawa

Motoki, the vice and moat senior from appearance to demeanor was always in control, dependable and conducts his team in a soft leader manner. We also saw a bit of how his work ate away on his personal life and family.

Tachikawa and Kaneko rounds up the team and both are very likable. Tachikawa exudes a sometime male egoism and biasness but hes a good cop that gains your favor as the drama progresses. I look forward to knowing more of them as character and their own background story in Season2.

Acting
The actors playing the main casts were all spot on and effective in their roles. Yoshida You is new to me and she amazes me with her own screen charisma. Shes the type of actress that draws you in from both performance and appearance. Not just attractive appeal but her portrayal of Ishikawa was multi facet, sometimes strong and tough, sometimes calm and sharp, sometimes bias and emotional and when she cracked, vulnerable and even broken. Exceptional is the only word i can sum up for both the actress and her character.

Music
Opening theme and songs used were very nice. A lot of nostalgic english songs used too.

Crime and story range
Almost every theme, with different victims in different background, decade, was explored. Suspects, motives and culprits were variable too. Cases involving kids were particularly emotional for me. Most of the cases gets you emotiobally invested and a few makes you put not just your detectice hat on but criminalpsychology too.

The negatives
I wish the season is longer. 10 episodes wasnt enough for me. The other was tje development in Cap Ishikawa's sister while i dont hate it, i didnt particularly like it either.

Verdict
If you enjoy the genre of crime, investigation,detective and mystery, this drama tick all the boxes. Theres not much frills and diversion, a major plus in my book. Im amazed that even though each episode isnt long and total episode count isnt alot, it manages to develop the main cast with the limited screentime on their personal lives. Season 2 will be out in less than a week at the time of writing this review. My suggestion is binge watch this drama's season 1, you wont be disappointed.

YueofBlueGables
Sep 28, 2017
This was a really, really well done remake of the American TV Show  (which I used to watch). All episodes were engaging, there wasn't any  dragging, and they were all well narrated. The dark tone fit the show  perfectly. Awesome cinematography. It's been a while since I wanted to  watch a WOWOW dorama; from what I've read, they are mostly well received,  with talented characters and a big budget.

The characters were  excellent played. I liked all 5 main characters, and I found the serial  killer so creepy I think I will ever see him (the actor, who also is in  variety shows) as a creepy guy. There wasn't any overacting at all, even  the children did good. The songs were mostly great, some were  American/English, some were Japanese. All cases were interesting, some  were sad, and some were hard to watch (the poor students, for example).  And I absolutely loved that this was set in Yokohama, one of the most  beautiful cities I have ever seen and visited.

I think this is  one of those dorama that anyone would like: young people, older  people... I am glad they are having a second season.