My Bromance: The Series (2016) poster

Gay-themed/BL/ Movies and dramas
-BL-

mvlpvqlvm
Aug 19, 2017
I think the biggest problem with this series is that it'll forever be compared to the movie. Don't do what I did and watch the movie then jump right into this series. If you've seen the movie, wait at least a couple of months before starting the series to give yourself a chance to forget most of it. Or better yet, watch the series first.

There's simply no comparison. The movie is just a better overall production, even counting the fact that movies tend to have a higher budget. It's best to think of them as being in two different universes-having similar characters, a similar setup, but completely different characterizations, different plot, different tone, different extrapolation. I suspect that a lot of people rate the series higher because it ends happily, where the movie is tragic. As a gay man, I totally understand the bias against LGBT movies with tragic endings; there's simply too many of them. But still, the movie's better.

But I'm not dismissing this series. The series comes into it's own about halfway when it spends time with new characters and explores themes of it's own.

Overall, you won't regret watching it. I wish I had time for a rewatch as my own comparisons to the movie spoiled the beginning for me. Looking forward to Season 2 instead!

EvanWeinstein
Jan 22, 2017
Based on the first 7 episodes so far:

I find that with the new storyline, it's good to see a change, and not Golf dies. However the script were written off course, which were given a 7.0

A new actor Golf (Patpasit) and an experienced actor Bank (Chaiya from LS and PT), a new chemistry is brewing for the 2, but there are too many actors in this season, too many females in particular, and from the movie, it was a Thailand traditional dance, and it ended up with a Korean song (Gee from Girls Generation), a little disappointing with 6.5

Music wise is fantastic, they used new music and mixed with the original soundtrack to give it a brand new look, score will be 9.5

Overall i give the series 7.5, but my own personal score for this will be 8.5 (due to the creativity)

Polaris
Mar 5, 2017
This was a disappointment.

Initially, I was rooting for this drama because I liked the movie. I hoped they'd change the movie's ending for that was a total bummer. Then, they did; and that got me all hyped up. Unfortunately, the pace of the story dragged on which made me lose interest. I could not follow which was the present and the past at times because Golf's age was only disguised through the way he combed his hair and the amount of gel he placed on it, and there were moments when that little difference was totally neglected. I had to wait for the cousin, or the best friend, or Bank just to recognize the time the scene was in.

(I was thinking, "Perhaps, Golf couldn't just get over Bank so he wears the same haircut and just hides it with some gel" But, if that's the case, then the actor playing Golf shows bad acting. Hey, Polaris, he's a newbie, give him time!)

It was when I learned that the final episode was released when I watched the rest of the series from where I left off. It wasn't totally bad. But, I cannot say that I regret not watching as per episode released. So, am I looking forward for the next season? Ughmmm...

YES! Despite the disappointment I felt in general for this season, the end took an interesting turn and had so much potential for a better season coming up.

ChinguMode
May 6, 2018
The BL film this TV series is ostensibly based on was an enjoyable watch with some lovely characters. But there was definitely some gaps for a TV adaptation to fill, especially around the development of the main relationship and the characterisation. Unfortunately this series didn't really do that, spending far too much time on other plotlines and relying too much on a season 2 that has not yet eventuated.

Having said that, there's a lot to like in this show. It's one of the few Thai BLs with strong and well-developed female characters and with a solid grounding of family. Bank and Golf's lives are messy and this mess gives it a sense of realism that a lot of similar shows lack.

Spread over two different timelines 8 years apart, we soon learn that Bank and Golf are stepbrothers who were in love while in high school but separated by their parents when their relationship was discovered. Bank has made a successful and stable life for himself in the US but Golf is a mess; cut off from his family and bouncing through south-east Asia and the Pacific working as a diver. In this, the characterisation is superior especially as it portrays Bank. Portrayed in the film as being fragile to the point of being infantilised, this Bank is a definite improvement being strong, smart and utterly comfortable in who he is and with his homosexuality.

As the couple fall in love in the past, they attempt to navigate their relationship with each other and with their family in the present. Bank is engaged to another man but is instantly torn when faced with his past love. Golf is so unhappy he's determined to recreate the past rather than try to live in the present. It's a new and interesting path for a BL to tread and gives us some lovely and intelligent moments between two adults rather than the confused children BLs are usually concerned with.

Unfortunately, given 12 episodes to really explore why these two men fell in love and why they're drawn to each other again, the show instead gets distracted by other plotlines and other characters. Perhaps one day we'll get the season 2 that wraps up the plotlines and resolves the somewhat unsatisfactory ending. But until that day, this is it.

KainGuru
Mar 29, 2017
Like most, I watched this after I saw the movie, so there will be some comparisons...

Total run-time for Season 1: approx. 8.5 hours over 12 episodes.

STORY: The drama in this series is very heavy. It is not as "cute" as the movie was. I would have scored it higher except that I felt the drama was too heavy. There are very, very few scenes of levity. It's one tragedy, or misunderstanding, or harrowing experience after another. While these make great drama, there are way too many scenes about extremely difficult situations; it's a wonder these kids don't need therapy. On the positive side, unlike the movie, this season ended with a SUPER sappy and sweet ending; OMG it was so worth it! I hope there is a second season.

ACTING/CAST: It took me a minute to figure out where I knew Bank from (actor: Chaiya Jirapirom) but I realized he played in Part Time The Series. I was so glad to see him again cause he really stole the scenes in Part Time. In fact, others also played in Part Time and Love Sick, so you will see some familiar faces.

MUSIC: It was good, a mix of a bunch of stuff, but they sure overplayed that piano melody every time something sad was going on, and that was almost constantly. I can almost hear the tune in my head now.

REWATCH VALUE: I'll probably watch it again with a friend. If I could recommend, don't watch it alone.

OVERALL: It's a long story full of hardship, and a lot more happened than in the movie (considering it's 8.5 hours of content versus the movie's 2 hours). I think the movie's Bank and Golf were much more cute but the series' Bank and Golf were more mature; especially Bank.

TL;DR: A worthy adaptation of the movie with a HAPPY ending this time!

Victuurri
Oct 31, 2017
I was aware of its existence for a while now but I didn’t dare or care to watch because it wasn’t SOTUS-level popular and I never liked the movie version anyways. I was bored to death one weekend after several weeks of watching and re-watching a series of BL drama released this year – 2 Moons, My Dear Loser: Edge of 17 and Together With Me. After getting tired of them, I decided to give My Bromance The Series a chance.

Having the separation of the two main characters and the death of Golf as my final memory of the movie, the pilot episode made me confused. It started eight years later after they were separated and it was set in two foreign locations. From the get go, the foreshadowing of what would be the main conflict was already conveyed. I had to detach myself from the original film because clearly the series was taking a different route. In the beginning, the execution wasn’t impressive and the acting of the new set of actors were still in question. As the next episodes went on, more revelations unfolded. The storyline wasn’t simple. More characters were involved, several conflicts branched out and multiple timelines were introduced.

The beauty of My Bromance The Series was the storytelling. It’s not the most well-produced drama but the editing was done smartly. They have thoughtfully woven the past and the present in a way that the viewers will easily understand the heart of the story and the points of view of the characters. The screenplay was rich in details because it didn’t just show where the current state of the main characters are eight years after. They were able to inject the history behind the present. The parallelism was clever. It pushed the development of Golf’s and Bank’s characters as well as their relationship. It showed that who we are now is the effect of all the things we experienced in the past. I thought it would be difficult to pull off such an approach but the big picture was crystal clear.

Golf and Bank’s chemistry may not be the most exciting I’ve seen on screen. Their roles have to be portrayed as exact opposites and the friction between them was at times unbearable. What made it work so wonderfully was the script. The profiling of their characters was explicit and the building up of their relationship was done thoroughly. The storylines weren’t left hanging in spite of some parts that were left untold - the real reason why Golf and Bank were away from each other, Golf’s strong attachment to their old house, Bank’s engagement to Jackson. The foreshadowing gave out concrete hints without the need to deliver the scenes where they lead to. In effect, the plot was tight and there was no repetition. The lack of a natural chemistry didn’t bother me because what was shown was an extraordinary love story.

My Bromance The Series was one of a kind because it's the only Thai BL series that centered family values. Golf and Bank are stepbrothers. Unlike other BL couples who first met at school, their first meeting was at their house. Being their home as the primary setting added a different layer to the story. Their boy-to-boy relationship alone was already questionable. Even though they are not related by blood, they were still brothers in the eyes of their mom and dad. Having such a kind of relationship was deemed scandalous. Evidently, it wasn’t tolerated which caused the eight-year gap. But the irony was the people who caused their breakup were the same people who brought them together. Most BL plots usually limit the role of family. Others even evade it. It’s refreshing to see that My Bromance The Series didn't just address it but it was made vital to Golf and Bank’s relationship.

In just two sittings, I have finished the entire series. There was no wasted time. Every scene has a purpose. Each moment was relevant. The twists and turns were exhilarating. It didn’t rely on the chemistry of the actors to sell the story, which was also its downfall. It’s disappointing that My Bromance The Series didn’t soar. I understand where the other comments were coming from about the acting, execution, direction and so on. But there is no perfect series. And in terms of screenplay, this is the quality content that I’m looking for in a story. Not all series have depth and substance nowadays. And I’m so happy that I got bored one weekend and decided to watch My Bromance The Series. It turned out to be one of the most satisfying BL series I’ve ever seen.

Anonymystique
Dec 28, 2018
Hello Friends

Saw the movie and then decided to watch the series. I must say apart from a few points, the series was better made compared to the movie. The movie at most points felt choppy with bad editing and continuity that pretty much sucked. I agree that the time limit does put a constraint on the narration but still the story could have been paced better, especially towards the end. That said, the leads did a pretty decent job.

Coming to the series, Bank (Kai) was a show stealer. His expressions, especially when he was bullied and beaten up by his dad was heart wrenching. Enjoyed the grown up naughty Cooper compared to his teen self. The other cast members were very good as well. A special mention of Jieb who was an absolute delight, with her oppa craze and loyalty for her friends. The story was well paced and the in spite of the repeated time jump, one doesn't feel lost or confused.

I have read a lot of comments about how the ending felt incomplete and rushed and in my opinion that was the beauty of this story. Though it feels abrupt, actually a lot was said and covered.
The last scene said it all. As they moved between the two periods they ended with the grown up couple on the bed. As adults, Bank took the first step and when Golf spoke about telling their family, there was calm acceptance. Mainly because Bank knew how serious Golf is about the relationship, which was evident in the effort he was putting towards changing his life and proving himself. An effort that even the family members saw as they discussed his daily job related shenanigans at dinner.

It's a given that Jackson is out of the picture because he never seemed too concerned about the fact that a guy was claiming to be his fiancé's ex and constantly hanging around Bank. And even though Bank’s family was facing so much, he never made an attempt to be there with Bank to support him. Just like Thom, who was never there was Bank whenever he was in trouble. It was always Golf who was there beside him in the time of need and even though he did behave like a jerk, Golf always stepped up when the situation called for it.

About the parents, Bank's mom always knew her son was gay and later Golf's Dad apologised to Bank and said they are free to do whats' best for them. With his impending death he realised that everyone have a right to live the way they want.

Overall, it was an enjoyable show.

Karina L
Jan 20, 2020
Ah where to begin... This BL had a lot of potential that I felt was never fully actualized. I have not watched the movie as of yet, and maybe that would go along way to filling in some plot holes. However, I feel that each work should be able to stand alone and this series didn't do that for me.

I overall enjoyed the idea of the plot and the juxtaposition of the present storyline with the past (if you want to watch a series that masters this I highly recommend Until We Meet Again) the problem lies in that somehow neither storyline seemed well laid out. This show was too slow of a burn to only have 12 episodes. Clearly from the beginning we know Bank and Golf had a relationship as high schoolers, but I feel that you never quite get the essence of how their relationship unfolded. A lot of people have said that they spent too much time on the secondary plots and I agree. I also feel that the ending was super abrupt. Season 2 is set to release this year (2020) which I am looking forward to mainly because of Fluke. It's apparent that you should watch the movie before watching season 2 as it is centered around events that take place after Golf "dies" in the movie.

Overall I thought it was a cute series. I love that Guide is not your typical BL male lead and it just made his character that much more enjoyable. I wish they would have made Golf grow up some more in his adult version, it was annoying watching him repeat a lot of the same antics he had as an adolescent to garner Bank's attention. It's a series worth a watch though definitely not a favorite for me.

*Edit*
I did watch the movie and as predicted it filled in some plot holes (while still having major pacing issues) and made me like the series a little less. It is very interesting, however, to see what things they included from the movie in the series (and how they twisted some things). The thing about movies is that they are limited by time, the series had all the time in the world to follow a better plot progression and failed. In the end I still say watch it, especially if you're as BL obsessed as I am.

tteokbokki
Jun 10, 2018
Drama bounces between 2016 and 2008 flashbacks. It wouldn't be fair to compare it to the movie with so much extras and twist & turns added, especially the happy (?) ending, but personally I enjoyed the drama more. It ended in sort of a cliffhanger with some questions unanswered, so I'm looking forward to the Season 2. Watching movie first actually helped me understand and appreciate the drama more, but I also treated them as a separate piece in my mind.

Start of it all: Golf is a stereotypical example of hormonal adolescence. Full of anger and resentment to the reality and people around him, but at the same time desperate for attention, takes everything out on the easiest target: sweet new step-brother. Also, unlike the movie, drama gave Bank abusive father backstory that earned him sympathy points with audience as well as Golf stepping up as his protector. Sometimes Bank is like a damsel in distress with a hero with shitty temper. LOL.

2016 is a followup of alternate ending from movie; again, another reason to treat the drama differently. Reunion after 8 years separation under complicated circumstance, Golf try to get back with Bank while Bank struggle with conflicting emotions between his step-bro & new fiance. Blah blah. Why do Thai writers enjoy love triangle and infidelity in relationships so much? It's been done again and again, cliche, let's move on.

My favorite character was Golf & Bank's high school friend Jeeb. Finally, a female character (other than Yuri from Love Sick the Series) I can really adore. She's the only character who brings positivity into the show, like the class clown who keeps everyone from drowning in self-pity and killing themselves. The series focus a lot on intense moments with heavy emotions; so much goes on in 12 episodes that it'll keep you focused and entertained.

Janu-Rey Sebastian
Aug 21, 2018
I did not see the movie hence this review is pure observation - without bias.

Overall, the series is okay. The story is okay, acting is okay, chemistry is there and the execution is mediocre. There are several stories compiled in one series hence there had been lack of proper execution. Nonetheless, you can totally digest the entire series.

There's just too much conflict in the story - compressing it in one series is just not enough. Take note, all conflicts have been resolved this leaves too little time for the couple to build their chemistry. The switch between the past and present, I think, is okay. However, there are gaps in the stories which were not addressed properly.

Jex
Apr 17, 2017
Bank is the cutest, one of the most adorable dancer i've ever watched.
his smile can light up an entire city...my heart literally skipped beats while watching his dance moves.
I rewatched that portion at least 8 times now...and i will still watch it again, can't get enough!

Jeab's acting is fantastic. I love how she handled/delivered her character.
Scrlt_pimpernel
Jun 5, 2018
I didn’t see the movie, so I had no expectations. I liked the drama just based on the premise. However, the acting could’ve been better. Plus I was disappointed about the lack of follow through for a season 2. I feel like there are things left hanging that a second season could wrap up. Not sure if there’s lack of funding, or interest. It was a typical forbidden love but no explanation as to why Bank went to the US. I wanted to feel their past love more, but they seemed more like....brothers. Lol