The Liar and His Lover

• Aired On: Monday, Tuesday
  • Network: tvN
  • Duration: 60 min.
  • Genres: Friendship, Music, Comedy, Romance, Youth, Drama, Manga
  • Rating: 15+ Restricted (violence & profanity)

• Members: 8,882

The Liar and His Lover (2017)

Angelina
Story
The story was slow paced & really boring. It did progress, but it progressed quite slowly which was a drop for me. There wasn't even much of a story. I usually do love music genre dramas but this one didn't intrigue or interest me in any way which was disappointing. I really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't find myself to sadly.

Acting/Cast
As many know, Joy is from Red Velvet and this was her first drama. I didn't really have any high expectations because I do know some Kpop idols aren't really experienced in acting. Joy, however, was quite decent in her role. I don't get the hate that was being thrown at her for her "rubbish" acting - It wasn't that bad. Lee Hyun Woo was also adorable in his role. The problem was the chemistry between both of them. I didn't find the bond exciting or anything, it was merely boring and unrealistic.

Music
The OSTs for this drama are really sweet to listen to. I just finished the drama & I will definitely download them. I guess for me, this was the only good thing about the drama itself.

Rewatch Value
I hardly rewatch dramas unless they were exceptionally excellent. So in this case, I definitely won't.

Overall
If you are struggling whether to watch this drama or not, I'll say give 1 or 2 episodes a try. If you don't like it, I suggest dropping it because it doesn't get better. But if you do like it, keep going! Don't let my review discourage some of you because everyone has different tastes :) Hope my quick review helped! x

Sian
May 10, 2017
Go in with low expectations and you will be pleasantly surprised. This drama is a relatively light watch that is easy on the eyes and ears.

As someone who hasn’t read the source material I can’t really comment on how this drama lines up. It did well to get so far with a limited amount of plot. At times the writing feels a little awkward but not enough to stop watching.

I liked that compared to the Japanese movie the main couple were closer in age and by the end So Rim was an adult.

The cast were very attractive and did surprisingly well with the script they were given.
I didn’t feel that there was much chemistry between the two leads, fortunately the friendships within the bands and the secondary couple make up for this.

The most enjoyable part of this drama is the music and the relationships between the characters. I found the songs would get stuck in my head for a few days after watching.

All in all a reasonably enjoyable show to watch with catchy tunes.

TaraLynch
May 10, 2017
Lovely Love Lie (AKA The Liar and his Lover)

The alternate title sounds racier than this show actually is. It's a music industry story line with a girl in a high school band (think 19 years old) named Yoon So Rim (played by Idol Actor Joy from Red Velvet) and the superstar kpop producer Kang Han Kyeol AKA K of Crude Play (played by Lee Hyun Woo) who meet coincidentally several times and end up falling in love. There's also the base player from the fictional group Crude Play, Seo Chan Yeong (played by Lee Seo Won) who ends up being the producer for So Rim's group. There's some minor love triangle plotting going on, but mostly it ends up about being the trials and tribulations of the musicians - conniving music company execs, dating scandals, and industry scandals galore. Since it is technically a high school drama, it remains pretty firmly on the chaste side of things romance-wise. I feel like the story lost a bit of focus as it picked up various subplots and then dropped them just as quickly in several instances, but it remained cute and entertaining throughout. Even with several hardships thrown in for various characters, it never really loses its upbeat rhythm. Special shout out to UNIQ's Kim Sung Joo as Yoo Shi Hyun, the lead vocalist of Crude Play, and Jang Ki Yong as Crude Play's drummer Ji In Ho. There was never a point when I was watching where I felt like I was wasting my time, but there was also not really a point in the drama where I was overjoyed. This one's pretty middle of the line.

hardpliers
May 10, 2017
Finished watching this just 10 minutes ago. I thought I'd make it to be the first one to write this review but oh well :D

Honestly, the only reasons why I became interested in this drama was the original manga and that Joy from Red Velvet was the female lead. I don't typically watch musical dramas because they can become very cheesy real fast and the music could get on your nerves. However, the major thing that I found lacking the most was a powerful OST. Since it's a drama based on music and the entertainment world, I would've loved the variety of amazing and touching songs and occasional appearances of Kpop stars.
The story itself was quite lovely and light. I could the storyline being nicely fitted into a fresh anime, since it has that type of shoujo genre vibe. I was missing some characters' backstories, more screen time for the secondary couple please!
I thought that the casting was appropriate, moreover, I found some brilliant new actors to stalk... Also, the second lead syndrome was real, rooted for Chan Yeong oppa all the way~~~
Briefly, it's a fluffy and a lighthearted drama to watch if you're a music or a fan of the manga. Don't expect too much though since it's quite generic and predictable.

GreenApple
May 11, 2017
The story is a checklist that contains all the usual teen drama tropes. It does not excel or improve on any of the boxes but man did they go out of their way to fill them.

The cast wasn't terrible but had a horrible case of miscasting. The male lead was more suitable for the cheerful friend rather than the brooding male lead. The female lead did not do terrible but will be remembered as Joy from Red Velvet rather than an actress judging from this performance.

For a music drama none of the songs featured made me open a new tab to look for them.

How I made it through the first time amazes and depresses me at the same time. No rewatch value.

The Japanese movie adaptation is light-years above this drama... and it's not that great.

Eftihis
May 10, 2017
To be honest, I see a lot of people that are not pleased with this drama, but I totally loved it!
It wasn't anything WOW and it wasn't anything Ew, it was a really good drama! just that!

The story for me was amazing^^. I love these kind of plots that have to do with Music.

The acting was pretty good, nothing is wrong with it, just some times maybe, they were overreacting with their facial expressions I think. but it wasn't bad. it wasn't done a lot. very few times.

The soundtracks were supreme! i loved every single OST , especially "I am OK" which was kinda the "main" ost from what I understood!

The rewatch value goes to Zero, cause I only find dramas rewatchable when they got some kind of action inside, Well this drama of course doesn't have action xD. so I find it pointless to rewatch it.

Maybe some of you may thing that my score is "TOO GOOD" but, I don't find anything weird with the drama. That's why, and its all personal preferences of course so #peace!

Reasons i watched this? Hyped with the Gfriend Cover at the beginning xD.

SillyIlly
May 10, 2017
I think if you go into this thinking its going to be just like the source material you will be disappointed -- as it appears from the previous reviews left here.

As a stand alone however, I thought this was a great feel-good drama, that gave the right balance between romances and character developments. There was a lot of main characters who each had their own stories to complete so although it may have felt like it was moving slow for the progression of the So Rim and Han Gyeol lovestory, I think it did well in demonstrating that a story about two people isn't just about themselves but all the people around them and their own lives. For 16 episodes, TLAHL nailed it.

The best thing about this drama is the chemistry between all the male leads -- their relationship was so beautiful to watch and completely natural. Not just the Crude Play boys but also between So Rim's childhood friends -- bromance was everywhere and it was lovely to watch!

The music was sweet and addictive although I wish they had more than just the 2/3 songs, especially towards the end/final episode I hoped we'd get to hear Chan Young's new song as a big finale. Regardless it was really catchy and used well throughout.

If you're looking for a light, sweet and 'leaves-you-happy' drama this is definitely worth the watch! Don't expect any deep plot twists and dark underlying tragedies but a more slice of life musical with a great cast.

Haley
Oct 17, 2017
firstly, this drama moves slower than others. It's not rushed though on the other hand it's not dead.
I appreciate that in a sense, sometimes the story of dramas moves too fast For you to take it all in - so it's a welcome change.

If you dislike drama for the sake of drama and tumultuous relationships then you are in for a pleasant ride. What I liked most about this drama is the fact the main relationship was steady, cute, not controlling and honest. i could have watched them for 16 more episodes as they grew musically together.

something I would have liked to see was a change up on the song performances. I know that writing a song is a difficult process, but having heard them play and sing the same song the entire time made me slightly bored.  Joy's voice was amazing though.

Bianca
Jul 2, 2017
At first, the plot was love between K and So rim. Then, at the end the drama starts revolving around how Crude Play started as a band. The plot was confusing. I thought it was a drama.about love and the story about the band is just a.side story.. Seriously what happened? It was so boring but i still managed to finish watching this cause I like Lee hyun woo. I tried my hardest to finish this. So boring. I swear. The drama should only have at least 8 episodes that will do. It became too dragging.
SSKF
Jun 22, 2017
This was a feel good drama for me. Most reviews say kind of bad things about it, but I think it was wonderful. It was even paced, not too fast or too slow, and the story line was good. It may not have been deep and dramatic, but it had the right amount of emotions and conflict in the right places. It's a slice of life drama - as I would have expected since I saw the Japanese movie years ago.

The romance in this was real. Others may say the couple didn't have chemistry but I think that's missing sight of what a true relationship is about. Chemistry is one part and that fizzles eventually. This couple had substance and caring between them, were willing to understand, to stick together, to grow together. This is a depiction of a real life couple interaction. They were eager to hold hands, to kiss, to be together and that was one thing I absolute loved about it. There was none of that 'hesitant to touch each other to stand too close' that often happens in kdrama. This was a real couple and the story showed it very well. No separation or dramatic fights here, just caring and understanding for the other person's feelings and perspective. How many kdramas give us that?

The above alone is why this deserved the 8 star rating.

Then there is all the relationships between the characters, all the curves and jagged edges that makes no one a villian and no one perfectly good either. They all had their little problems projected onto one another and they worked through it. This is a reflection of real life. I liked it.

Their acting was very good. They are largely new to this and no one is perfect from the get-go. If you expect perfection from new artists without giving them a chance to gain experience... well that's just unreasonable. They performed admirably for being a relatively new set of casting. I liked all of their acting a lot. Especially the two leads and the male lead's apa.

The music... I hope it wasn't the focus of the show and that the romance / friendship was. The music could have been better. It;s quite forgettable, not as passionate as I thought a top composer would produce - except that first song.

I liked this a lot.

Yuna
Aug 17, 2017
In my opinion this drama has one main Theme "How much can we hurt the second male lead". I didn't read the Original Manga but I watched the japanese version in which I liked the story but not the Acting. The Korean version is the opposite. The drama is boring. 16 Episodes are too much. i think it would have been better when there were only 12 Episodes. So the story was lame...But maybe my expectations were too high for the drama because I was very excited for the cast.

The best was the Acting and the chemistry between the bandmembers. When Lee Hyunwoo was cast I was like "Please give him a good leading lady" because he hasn't much luck with his partners. Then there were the news that Joy from Red Velvet would join...I don't have a problem with idols acting, but I don't approve of them when there first ever role is the main role. So I had very high expectations...I mean the production staff must have a good reason for casting her as Soorim and not as a supporting Actress...Honestly, she was okay. Not very good but not bad either. Lee Hyunwoo was good (like every time even though the story is bad). I hope he gets a better script next time. I think the role doesn't suit him so I don't have much to say about him. But his chemistry with Joy was...bad or should I say there wasn't any chemistry between them?
There are two other Actors I want to talk about because they were amazing in their roles. One of them is Lee Seowon. I love him since I first saw him in Uncontrollably Fond as Suzys little brother. His role here is very sad, dramatic and lonely. Chanyoung joined Crude play when Hangyeol (LHW) left to produce their music. Over the years he felt never like he was accepted by the other members. He thinks he is a substitute for Hangyeol and has bad feelings about him. He wants to be better. In my opnion he isn't the typical second lead who is mean to his rival because of the girl both of them love. I pitied him from episode one until the end. Lee Seowon played so amazing. He is one of two reasons why I could watch this drama until the end.
The Second reason is Kim Sungjoo. He is the main vocal and korean Leader of the Boygroup Uniq who debuted 3 years ago. He plays Yoo Shihyun, the leader and Vocal od Crude Play, who is funny and loves his members very much. Sometimes he seems like a playboy but in reality he is hurt because there is one girl he loves for a long time. Sadly, his role gets not much attention. His Chemistry with Lee Seowon and the others is very good. Even though his Screen time together with Lee Haeun (who played his sunbae from high school Sooyun) isn't very much the chemistry between them is very good and i wished that couple would get an extra drama v.v The last few episodes I pitied him a lot. He was so sad and I wanted to hug him. Like Lee Seowon he acted very good for a rookie. I think he has main lead potenzial and is one of the few Idols who can really act.

The Music was good, even though I don't liked the songs by Joy. I don't know why, maybe it is because i don't like her voice v.v. But the Songs by Crude Play are very good. Sungjoo has a very good voice. I am sure he could sing more OST...

I would recommend the drama for hardcore Red Velvet Fans and for people who doesn't care about the story but about the Acting.

Katie
Jul 23, 2017
I was so surprised to see Joy in a drama, but I think this role suits her really well. Her semi-awkward acting really compliments her character. I'm a sucker for entertainment company shows or idol dramas and this definitely hits the spot.

The plot is good and it kept me watching, but was a little slow in some spots- the whole time I was basically just pressing the 'next episode' button and waiting for the mains to figure out their feelings. Which isn't a bad thing.

Because this show features a band (CRUDEPLAY) which was created inside of Lovely Love Lie, it allows for a lot of boy group style songs which are original to the show, which was really cool. Plus Joys fun songs and her collaborations with the made lead left me humming for weeks after I finished this drama.