Laplace's Witch (2018) poster

• Ranked: #31940

OldAnimeLady
Nov 28, 2018
So the premise of this movie is based on a Pierre-Simon Laplace (french mathemetician) theory about the Laplace Demon that states:

"We may regard the present state of the universe as the effect of its past and the cause of its future. An intellect which at a certain moment would know all forces that set nature in motion, and all positions of all items of which nature is composed, if this intellect were also vast enough to submit these data to analysis, it would embrace in a single formula the movements of the greatest bodies of the universe and those of the tiniest atom; for such an intellect nothing would be uncertain and the future just like the past would be present before its eyes."

This is essentially the whole movie. Now that we have that out of the way, if you are looking for magical ladies and wands and pointed hats, that is definitely NOT this movie, and i think the misnomer brings the audience in with different expectation than what is delivered.

It is a lot of talking, sitting and talking, making paper airplanes and talking, the action is only about 10 minutes of this whole film. Very little emotion is invoked from the watcher, well this watcher at least. No bonds are formed during on screen time of this movie, but implied in a few minute flashbacks. No friendships, No enemies. and Certainly no romance.

It is not a bad movie, the acting was stable and YAY Lily Frankie, but the script was not memorable. Nothing comes out of this movie other than to google Pierre-Simon Laplace: ).

To sum it up If you love Sakurai Sho or Fukushi Sota or any of the other actors its an okay movie and you are probably going to watch it anyhow. If you are not a fan and are looking for a movie that is more than just a time killer, this is not for you

Man_Chair
Jan 25, 2019
I watched Laplace's Witch twice, on the way to and back from a plane trip. While it wasn't a boring watch and had some admirable concepts, it was brought down significantly by poor pacing and a number of loose threads. Much of the film was pure talk, and thus it didn't effectively explore or bring out the potential of Madoka and Kento's foresighting abilities- furthermore, the final confrontation seemed rather tacked on. The acting was decent overall- Professor Aoe was a rather uninspiring protagonist but Madoka's outbursts of emotion felt quite profound and realistic. People have described Sota Fukushi as a bland actor but I felt that he tried hard to bring out Kento's anguish, with a degree of success. Overall, decent and somewhat interesting.

Booklover_95
Jan 15, 2019
Before I begin let me tell you, the poster, trailer and the name are all pretty misleading in this movie. If you went in, like me, expecting an action movie with supernatural powers you will be disappointed.

Actually I have no clue about the director cuz many have said they were expecting more from him but for me the movie captivated me. The whole story is based on a single physics theory by Pierre Simone Laplace. I personally thought it was genius to base the story on that theory. Taking a physical theory that is not that much known to the public unless you are in that field and basing a whole story on it, in my taste is pretty impressive.

As you would expect the acting was top notch. Yes some might say and I agree the plot could have been slightly better but like I mentioned previously it completely captivated me. The cinematography and the whole feel of the movie was like-able. But for me the best part of the story would be its music score. It gave a heavy animesque feeling and I loved every time the BGM would start. One of the main reasons I am giving this movie a 8.5 is the music. Every time the music came on I almost felt I was watching an episode of Fate/Stay Night or Tsubasa rather than a movie itself.

One of the cons are that none of the characters hold you. They are not memorable characters that would stay with you. That was one of the things that could have been improved in the story/plot. One might argue that if the characters do not grab your attention that means the story itself is bad but I disagree. This movie is a perfect example on how the plot and the characters are different to each other.

Finally this may not be everyone's cup of tea but if you're more in to scientific movies I would say this is a nicely executed movie. Like one other reviewer mentioned, there are lots of sitting down and talking and making paper airplanes than actually fighting in here but surprisingly it can be of interest to few too.

PS- Another Pro is you see the beautiful Fukushi Sota's face :)

arashinta
Nov 23, 2019
[WARNING: the rating and review I give have the possibility to be subjective due to my preference for the genres, scenes or casts]

To be honest, I'm a little bit confused of this movie. I never good at math, so this movie really drained my brain (^_^;) It's entertained me, at least I know the existence of that theorem. The suspense theme is also entertained me (always), but I don’t know if I want to watch this movie again or not. The only thing that I like is the twisted plot in the end, but that doesn't enough to cover my confusion.