I Cannot Hug You

MiraiArtx
Jan 5, 2018
This drama is lighthearted and fun, definitely something to pick up in between some angsty melos. Although I've only read up to about chapter 40 of the webtoon it's based on, the content of half, if not most of the episodes have been covered so I can say that it is definitely true to its original source. Scenes are depicted very similarly and even the dialogue is recognizable from the webtoon.

The storyline was interesting to me because of the unique concept that constituted the plot (a vampire who feeds off of energy through physical contact and a human who has mysophobia). It was well paced throughout and the drama did wrap up nicely. There were, however some loose ends, but the second season is rumored to air next month so hopefully, those will be taken care of. The climax of the story (within the drama) though, didn't seem to be as dramatic as they may have intended it to be. It didn't create the suspense or anticipation that it probably should have.
 I am actually a big fan of the male lead actor after his drama The Eternal Love, so I found myself inevitably comparing these two. That said, I think both lead actors did a good job of portraying their characters, but I never really felt the chemistry between them. Again, perhaps the second season may change my view on that.
As for the music, I did quite like two of the OSTs. They fit the tone of the story well and were memorable enough, as well as not too overused.
Overall, I would recommend this drama for a short and simple watch, as there are only 16 episodes at around 30 minutes each. I also definitely recommend reading the webtoon!

Panda_San
Jan 11, 2018

The drama is fun to watch and it is simple & lighthearted , each episode is about 30 min of duration .

I find the plot interesting as it is not as the other typical vampires series , so it is very superb ! the drama was well paced with the interaction between Li ShiYa & Jiang ZhiHao but the parts where the writer tried to put some suspense into the story did not work as it was not dramatic .

The actors did well portraying their characters , but as for the chemistry between the couple ( ShiYa & ZhiHao ) I did not feel that they are truly in love .

The OST fit the drama mood , I enjoyed it very much . I liked the ( Be Brave To Love ) it just perfectly suitable for this drama as an opening song .

Am not sure if I'll rewatch this drama cause it lacks the suspense , but overall it is a nice choice if you want to watch something light .

Jia Hui
Jul 7, 2018
This is an overall review that includes season 2 as well, because season 2 is a continuation of season 1 and it completes the whole drama. I was skeptical towards this drama in the beginning as it was an adaptation of one of my favourite webtoons Untouchable, and I thought that the drama would not be able to portray the webtoon well and live up to its standards.

However, I gave it a shot anyways - and I do not regret it. The webtoon itself is amazing, and I must say this drama is one of the best adaptations I’ve ever seen so far.

The script closely follows the story of the webtoon, and many scenes from there can be seen in the drama as well. Only towards the end (season 2), the drama deviated slightly from the webtoon, but majority of the plot still follows it. I personally loved this story, it was light and romantic, but there were scenes that carried a more serious atmosphere as well. (I did cry at some parts lol). The story was paced out really well too, I didn’t feel like it was too fast or too slow. However, one thing I didn’t like was the addiction of couples along the way as the story progresses. We have the main couple, and there were two more couples added in the story, one of them only towards the end. I was fine with 2 couples, but when the 3rd female character was added to complement another male character, I found it a bit too much. (although the couples were all pretty cute)

Acting/cast:
Personally, I love Zhang Yu Xi and Dai Jing Yao. The acting of the two leads Yu Xi and Xing Zhao Lin were amazing as well, they portrayed the emotions of the characters really well and complemented each other and their roles. Literally the whole cast was good looking, and the acting was pretty great.

I’m not one that’s too concerned about the music but the osts for this drama are pretty good.

Rewatch Value:
I hardly rewatch dramas, but for those that enjoy rewatching and are bored or out of shows to watch, this drama seems nice to watch again.

Overall:
The acting and plot was good, the production was great, and the cast were all extremely good looking. What more can I say? This cute romance really is worth watching.

Vaishnavi
Feb 15, 2018
The drama was based off of the manhwa, Untouchable. The last half was cut off, but that decision was fine since it probably wouldn't have flowed as well if they included it. Also, the depiction of the manhwa was very good, and they didn't miss many details.
Coming to the drama, the main actress was very suitable and capable for the role. The rest of the actors also acted pretty well. The music was very good and especially fitting for the story. Overall, the story was cheery and the flow and escalation of the story was excellent.
WaterLilyTan
Apr 6, 2018
I read unTouchable (WebToon) first and when I saw this I was super excited because I enjoyed unTouchable a lot and was sad when the series came to an end plus who doesn’t love it when their favourite webtoon come to live!

As I read the webtoon so I am kinda having high hopes for the live-action series. You do not need to read the webtoon unless you want to see a different story as the live-action and webtoon does have a little difference.

The overall story is light. Only a thing or two that is the exciting part of season 1. To be honest, I think QR is more suitable being LSY. I mean Zhang Yu Xi potrays LSY well but I think compare to the webtoon series QR has the face of being LSY. The height, the face, the hairstyle. As for LSY brother, I think they should find someone taller with a bigger body frame as that is what I feel from reading the webtoon. For SH, I think they should get someone who have more ‘power’ aura compare to XB.

Reed_wei
May 6, 2018
It was a good story which was bought out in a beautiful manner..the actors were too good.the male lead had perfection in each act.it wasnt one of those typical rich guy poor girl or college love stories.it was something out of the box.at first i found it wierd as the concept was of vampires.but later i liked the female lead as she nailed her role.
Basically a good story but not for those who want family stories..the story is not heavy matter..it is light and fun.more of comedy and a bit romantic.
I watched all the 16 episodes in one day as i loved it.the starting song in the drama is really good.i loved it.overall it is good if you watch it to give you a break and have some fun.

Navigator Md Tayeb
Oct 13, 2018
What a great Drama.!!!
I have seen lots of drama.This drama touch my heart.
I wanna to compare this Chinese drama with another Korean drama like: Goblin,My Girlfriend is a Nine Tail fox,Bride of Habeak.
I have completed all 32 episodes in two days!!
Fiction lover must be Love it ^_^
This drama is not suitable for thriller or action lover.

its cute ! I will recommend this , for someone who is looking for a slight change from the god old romantic comedies ! Also it is very well acted form my point ! It has a good vibe(atmosphere) to it !

robzilla_92
Jan 28, 2018
I Cannot Hug You was AMAZING! I really love it. It's a feel good drama that is short, sweet and to the point. The story is good. I"m pretty curious to see what kind of direction it will take in season 2. It has some very nice romance along with some great comedy that totally made me laugh out loud. Zhang Yu Xi as "Li Shiya" i thought was a very good and likeable character. She's a funny girl with a wild imagination and can be naughty at times. The soundtrack was good. Two tracks really stuck out to me that I've listened to over and over again. I cannot wait for season 2! I highly recommend it!

Fighter of Destiny
Apr 27, 2018
"Have you ever thought about it, bad people aren't born bad."

This has to be one of my favourite dialogues from the drama. No matter how many times I have read or heard this line earlier, it has a different essence when it is used in the drama. It symbolises the presence of conscience but helplessness due to guilt.

I am going to write an overall review based on both the seasons. I haven't read the web comic.

Story (8.5/10)

The thing I liked about the story was that it was well connected. At a point of time, it seemed a puzzle with clues and all I had to do was join the dots to end the story. The thing I disliked about it was it was boring at times, some parts of the story seemed ambiguous and they dragged certain parts of the story which could be cut down. Since each episode is of only thirty minutes, I decided to continue watching.

I was expecting more of adventure and conflicts in the story. Right from the beginning, the problems which seemed pretty major were resolved in the blink of an eye. It was the same towards the end of the drama as well- problems were solved too easily and quickly. Must I also say that the villains weren't bad enough for the story was so easygoing?

Initially I planned to give the story a rating of 6.5. I changed it to 8.5 because the story has a beautiful ending- one which neatly resolves everything, unties all tangles and leaves the views completely satisfied. By saying the drama has a beautiful ending, I am not revealing whether the ending is happy or sad. Trust the drama makers on this one- they will leave you truly satisfied.

Acting/Cast (and characters) (9.5/10)

The actors did a great job. Although the story didn't have many cliffhangers(which I believe would ultimately make the story more interesting), I was immersed into some episodes of the drama because the actors acted extremely well and the characters were very realistic.

There were times when I felt sad because the characters were sad and I felt happy when there were happy events.

I feel actors have a critical role to play in people's opinion of a drama or film. I absolutely loved all the characters, including the villains and I felt so very involved in their world.

Music (10/10)

Has to be a 10/10. The songs were beautiful and complimented different events in the drama- happy and sad very well. They were very meaningful and added to the story. The closing theme OST is my favourite of the songs in the drama because it has a lot one can relate to.

Somehow I feel that listening to the songs alone is enough to re-visualise the entire drama and most importantly the emotions that are part of it.

Re-watch Value (5/10)

I usually don't watch dramas unless they are exceptional. I probably won't be re-watching the entire drama in the future. However, I am going to watch some of the scenes I really liked.

I feel re-watching something depends on the viewer's opinion after they have watched a drama.

I hope my review is helpful for you to decide whether you want to watch the drama or not. As an end note, I would still ask you to watch the drama and see if you'd like to continue watching it. :)

Jan 5, 2018
A very fun and colorful drama. Refreshing cinematography with simple and practical dialogues. The costumes are breathtaking.
Performance  was also smooth, we had the two protagonists intertwined, in particular  the beautiful Zhang Yu Xi which was fantastic paperless of Li Shi Ya. In  short "I Can not Hug You" is a soft, joyful, fun drama with sad and  melodramatic moments, a pure and refreshing yummy novel from beginning  to end that is worth giving a check in this production the height of a  good dose emotional.
ChinguMode
Oct 18, 2018
If you can get past the wooden acting, awful dubbing and the extremely low budget, there's a lot to like about this lighthearted little show out of China.

The vampirism of the female lead Li Shi Ya (Zhang Yu Xi) is not particularly well-mythologised but is of a peculiarly no-muss, no-fuss kind. She feeds off energy through physical contact so is thrown for a loop when she gets a taste of the life force of the seemingly-delicious Jiang Zhi Hao ( Xing Zhao Lin), who is an extreme germaphobe that avoids all physical contact.

The acting of both leads is particularly woeful and the atrocious dubbing did not help. The budget is so obviously tiny that even the set dressing looks cheap and the leads seems to wear the same outfits for days on end - a particularly bizarre decision for a female lead who's supposedly a supermodel.

There is, however, a certain charm to the male lead's earnestness that makes you understand why this vampire model falls for him. The show also regularly subverts the standard romance tropes of Chinese dramas in a way that's refreshing. Shiya is rarely coy about her desire to touch her "prey" and his consistently-mature response to this seemingly-sex-crazed stalker in his life is extremely appealing.

I could have rated this lower but it was slightly better than the sum of its parts.

Diana Balas
Feb 4, 2018
Although the vampire story has been screened many times in various variants, this is something new. It might even be real, because there are people we call emotional vampires who are pulling the energy of other people to survive. I think that was inspiration for the story. Vampires who drink blood are no longer in.
Actors, though young, especially Xing Zhao Lin, are excellent. The plot is good, tense. I can not wait to see how the story will continue. I hope the end will be happy.