The Golden Eyes (2019) poster

• Ranked: #1935

Kazokuk5
Apr 6, 2019
First off, i like Lay and i watch this because of him. Of course the summary sounds interesting and i like fantasy genre so i started to watch this. No matter how much i like Lay i got to comment on his acting here. His character is those type that are suppose to be cool, calm and usually doesn't talk much unless when solving various problems and stuff. This side of him is fine and i enjoy the eye candy but whenever he is acting angry or "sick" or sad i get really cringy. I totally can't feel him being angry except his face being "i am angry!" (breathing heavily) or "i am so sick i am going to faint" (then proceed to drop on the floor). Partly i guess is because of the storyline but i get really irritated on the number of times he is so weak during the whole drama but of course somehow still solve all the problems and becomes the hero. The female lead too makes me frustrated with her acting and character (this i won't blame her since it is the writer's fault) but still her acting is not any better than Lay. Other characters acting are just so-so. Their acting are so awkward that it make some parts really cringy for me to watch and i can't focus on the story at all.

Moving on to the story. I will try not to spoil too much. The story started off predictable and nothing much capture your attention. Most of the characters make you feel exasperating. (I will start using their character's name now). MFF character is awkward in the beginning and by the end of the show her character doesn't seems to progress much either. She is suppose to be a clever policewoman but ends up just relying on ZR all the time. As for ZR, he is the Main character of the whole show but i don't feel for him at all when he is sad or angry or whatever which is bad. It means that i am just not into the show. Half is because of his acting and half is the character problem i guess. He is so overly nice to everyone, always forgiving and you know those kind that get betray often and etc that it is kinda boring. He is smart and clever but sometimes it doesn't makes sense how he knows all the answers to whatever problems they are facing but anyhow this is a drama so let's just skip that. HFY/XY the best friend is totally annoying. He likes to butt into everything even when he knows nothing. However i like his character as the story progress, for the very least his character bring some joy and funny moments. At the end of the show i do like him and the way he always say "we as rich guys... " QXB is consider the most believable character and quite okay as the antagonist but the acting part is still awkward especially when she is suppose to be hurt or grieving. It will be too long to comment on each character so i will just stop at these main ones. Btw, if you are looking for romance then look away because this has like 10% only. I can't really feel the chemistry between the two main lead and their progress is so slow. I was like waiting for at least something romantic happen but nothing at all which i kinda feel disappointed as a viewer. Anoher thing i really dislike are the flashbacks. My gosh, these flashbacks take like half of the episodes and worst these are repetitive flashbacks! I watch the same flashbacks over and over again for so many times. I just skip through it and i don't even care if i skip the present part anymore. As the story goes on, it gets a bit interesting in the middle but very soon it gets boring again because of the repetitive pattern. Always on an adventure to search for something but bad guys are always following then they will get caught almost each and everytime then on repeat. In between the different arc of the story, the way the character act sometimes or how the story progress is so illogical that i am just speechless.

Last but not least, be prepare for the ending.

Ashleigh Ball
Apr 17, 2019
OMG! This was a fantastic series and I would love for there to be a second series as it finished so good and on the edge of my seat I got involved in the story a wanted to jump into the show itself and I love all the history to it as well. Is there going to be more? I hope the answer is yes.
It’s a great show and was easy to get into although had to wait a few days for subs but I loved it and would highly recommend this to anyone.
The cast were great and the relationships were unexpected with the humour in the series it worked together very well and don’t have anything bad to say about the series as it was an exceptional series and got me inspired by it to look more into history. You find out cool facts that you would never have learned in school and also teaches you things that can’t be taught anywhere.

ALEXANDRIA
Jun 1, 2019
The storyline is interesting, non boring from the start till the show end. Since episode 1 till 56, the story waste no time and goes into what it's suppose to show.
I watch this drama because of Lay, or known as Zhang Yi Xing. I'd noticed him since from another drama The Mystic Nine as he played the role Er Yue Hong. But certainly in The Mystic Nine, his “boyish good look's attraction” was covered down by William Chan as he was the main lead - Fo Ye.
Now in this show The Golden Eyes, Lay played the main male lead role here. Certainly audience had plenty of moments to take a good closer look on him. But what I felt is that, perhaps his main role as Zhuang Rui was “under act”. He was too gentle and too polite soft spoken.
And many times as he used his gifted eyes, I find it was too exaggerated as not only he can see through objects, this I can accept perhaps it was necessary act as the golden eyes supposed to be. But at certain scene, the golden eyes can see through miles away's object or paths, this is a little exaggerated.
Secondly, in this whole drama, all the scenes of tombs they went into, being at Gan Su or at the desert, I'd noticed they all are the same tomb, just the views shot by different angles to make it look like different tombs.
Besides, I also noticed, all the tombs they went in, very strange setting was, all were lit up by fire lamps. How could a tomb that is 2,000 years ago and as they first time went in, all were lit up by fire lamps ? Unlike other tomb raiding's stories like The Lost Tomb, The Ghouls, Tomb Of The Sea, Candle In The Tomb ... etc, all were shown in very mysterious and dark, as it suppose to be coz these old tombs that are more than thousands of years ago and as first time going in, it should be looking like dark and mysterious, instead of properly lit up.
And as mentioned about going into tombs, thou this show has some parts related as the golden eyes were needed in there, those of y'all that like tomb raiding's stories, this drama had some related genre. Partly I watch this drama also because I do love tomb raiding's stories. I didn't expect much on what can the golden eyes do.
And certainly, this drama also relates to a person - Feng Quan that also by a series of coincidence inherited the golden eyes abilities at 2,000 years ago. And this Feng Quan by real historical records doesn't exits, it's just a part of the story of this drama. This, I had googled up and checked. Partly I also like real historical dramas, so I was wondering, does this person really exist.
Next is, besides all the tombs investigation and all the abilities of the golden eyes, I do find certain hilariousness at some where between episode 25, as 4 of them went to Myanmar and was lured into the jungles, when that part Huang Fu Yun and Peng Fei was stucked together, all the unnecessary troubles Huang Fu Yun did like eating forbidden poisonous fruits and caused Peng Fei all the troubles, it was a real hilarious.
And other than these hilarious parts, as the show goes on, a few parts really caught my surprise. I thought Zhong Chuan (the Japanese) was perhaps the bad party. As many dramas often showed that Japanese always played as the cunning party when comes to antique treasures. Next part is when they discovered Xiao Ma was the mysterious killer 40 years ago, I thought Ma Pang Zi (the owner of Si Heh Yuan or the owner of the house) that Zhuang Rui staying, was perhaps the killer, coz in all the casts only the Ma Pang Zi has the surname of Ma. I never expected that, the kind wise teacher De Shu (uncle De) was the real cunning mysterious killer. This part at episode 48 really shocked me by surprise. As I followed the show more deeper, somehow it made me felt like I'm into the story as well like an invisible viewer. Many times when De Shu advised Zhuang Rui about life's ups and downs, I was thinking it was quite some useful advises as well as for me too. This part was my most didn't expected, De Shu the killer. Other than this, I also didn't expect Xiao Dao (Japanese lady) was the assistant of De Shu. I thought perhaps Peng Fei may had met his significant other half. Oh man ... Also another part when Zhong Chuan (Japanese man) reviewed Qin Xuan Bing's stepfather Qin Hao Ran on how he set up a fake trap murdered her biological father Zheng Chuan. This too it really caught my surprise.
The last episode 56, at the very end when Zhuang Rui decided to do the surgery on removing the fragment inside his brain at (Tong Zhou Shi Zhong Xing) hospital and at the same time, De Shu at Ukraine ( Wu Ke Lan Yi Li Ya) also undergoing his eye's surgery. This part, I had played backward numerous of times to see the differences. If by just watching once, I find it can be misleading, coz both of them were undergoing surgery, only differences if watch carefully, the surgery room's equipments, staffs, background and the clothes they (Zhuang Rui & De Shu) wear, there are differences.
So, that makes the sad yet disappointed ending, the one that got seizures and the heart beat machine's flat beat sound (dead), is not De Shu, but is Zhuang Rui ... I was caught quite speechless too in this conclusion. Which gave me a mixture of emotions, a little unfair, why De Shu the wicked old man got to survive and yet the humble loving Zhuang Rui had to die. Doesn't it sounds like the ending needs a quick grasping conclusion ? And that's the way they end this story. And also at the very last seconds before the whole show ended, the one that opened the eyes with the golden eyes gift, was De Shu. And it stated on was De Shu's whereabouts is unknown. So, does it mean that De Shu inherited the golden eyes gift, he will do more bad stuffs and gets away ? And Zhuang Rui dies so what will happen to all his close friends like Huang Fu Yun, Peng Fei, Miao Fei Fei ? And the sadest part is, why can't Zhuang Rui gives Miao Fei Fei a hug the night before his surgery ? As he knows Miao Fei Fei has feelings for him. They had went these close along the way, a hug should be sufficient to express all the emotions, whether it is love, liking or just thankful. But very much in regrettably, he didn't. Only is this very last part of the whole drama, I think myself as an audience, I'm not very satisfied how it ends. This, it effects my ratings for the whole show. Can't it be the other way round ? Instead of Zhuang Rui dies, but should be De Shu dies and Zhuang Rui survive the surgery and returns back to his normal life and everyone is happy. I'm sure all his friends rather want him to be alive, healthy back to normal instead of inherited the golden eyes gift or being dead. Mmmmm .... Disappointed.
Oh, and the OSTs - “Wo Xiang Chen Wei Ni De Wei Yi” ( I Want To Be Your Only One) & “Wo De Xiao Xiao Shi Jie” ( My Little World) both the wordings and meanings fit the themes and very touching.

timotey
May 18, 2019
I love this drama. I mean it. I love this drama. It’s the best Cdrama I’ve seen so far. I love it “as is”, not despite this or that, not as a guilty pleasure, no “I love it but…!” I love it, pure and simple.

I love the cinematography, I love the music, I love the locations. I love it all - but mainly the characters. Zhuang Rui, Feifei, Fuyun, Peng Fei, Binbing… and even the bad guys who are dangerous and sometimes downright creepy. But mainly, I adore Zhang Yixing’s Zhuang Rui. He’s incredibly smart and hardworking, kind and selfless, brave and full of integrity. And I love how he just… collects people and things along the way, but mostly people, broadening the circle of his friends and found family by trusting them fully - until he can’t, that is. And even then he still gives them a second chance to explain… And I just love him for it.

Also, if you love whump, then this drama is chock-full of it. Once the side-effects of Zhuang Rui’s golden eyes set in, it’s a real ride and Zhuang Rui becomes the Damsel in Distress™ of this series.

So, from my POV, I can wholeheartedly recommend this series. I adore it!

Intl bee
Apr 14, 2019
Okay, this drama started out great. Even the trailers were really exciting as if you're going to watch a super hit movie not a drama. Though I was waiting for this drama because ma baby Lay is in it, but from the story it got much more exciting and couldn't wait for it. I really liked some thriller episodes like 22-27 and few last episodes. But I cannot deny the fact that scriptwriters couldn't do their job properly. Sometimes there were scenes where I couldn't connect to the story. And regarding the love story, I already knew there wouldn't be a proper end for that because in whole 40 episodes, there was no progress so I didn't hope for too much. And regarding the ending, I didn't know what the hell was going on??? They could have given us a better ending unless they are thinking of a second season. ( I really hope there is). Whatever it is, I still managed to enjoy the drama and even watched it twice ( or maybe trice lol). And regarding that friend and police officer, though they were annoying a little at the start, but later they got better. For me, they didn't ruin the drama at all. Going to watch it again just for Xingie.

JaeSwoon
Mar 12, 2019
It’s a good show, very interesting for history nerds, but I can't really give rave reviews because that Wang Li Xin is GHASTLY and brings down every scene he is in. I don't think we are losing the character, unfortunately, and I do not understand why he has to ruin every single damn scene. We will have a perfectly okay conversation between two characters and then he will butt in and ruin it with his chattering and monkey faces that are offensive to monkeys. I mean, seriously, why? It makes no directorial sense. It just messes up the flow of the show.