Love by Chance

Twoony
Nov 14, 2018
I don't typically write reviews since I find most BL's follow the same tropes so reviews get pretty repetitive to me but I felt compelled to this time. Prepare yourselves! LBC started on such a high note that expectations are raised right out of the gate. In case you didn't see, yes this review contains spoilers so here it comes.

I was both baffled and beyond happy when Pete came out to his mom. There's a lot of BL's that just hint that the parents know but LBC had Pete come straight out and say it. I applaud them for that and loved the relationship with his mom. I love that they spoke to each other and she made sure he knew that he was her son regardless. It was beautiful and everyone needs to hear that from their parent so I was on cloud nine. The relationship between Ae and Pete, too, was superb. They were caring, had their issues but always wrapped them up fairly quickly and were an all around good role model for LGBTQ+ youth. Their story was so pure and warm that it makes one's insides turn to goo! If I could only rate this on their story it'd be a 10 out of 10 but, my issues come with the final 3 couples that, if it was only them, would drop this story to practically a zero.

Let's start out with my biggest issue, KengklaxTechno. That was rape. It was straight up rape, uncomfortable and unsettling to watch, especially since there was Tum and Tar's story about rape so...how and why? But they're next. Simply put, I feel KengklaxTechno's so called "relationship" was rushed because there probably won't be a second season. If they were going to do that, they should have just ended it without them ever getting together, have a little kiss and leave it open ended rather than fall into yet another rape story line. Not only is it an insult to the LGBTQ+ community, but also, men in general should be insulted that, somehow, every show makes it seem like they can only think with the head between their legs.

Onto the TumxTar story, which I didn't have a lot of issues with but they were forgettable. They didn't have a lot of screen time, especially considering that Tar was assaulted. I would love if they would have their own show to focus on the trauma a sexual assault survivor goes through but this just rushed it and fell into some unsettling moments as well, like when Tum tried to force himself on Tar. It was unfortunate because they could have had so much more time and energy given to them. It's sad they didn't get it.

Lastly, the TinxCan story, which I admit I'm biased as I loved them since the whole "enemy to lovers" thing is my downfall but, I'll do my best to stay unbiased! I simply hate how there's still sad endings for LGBTQ+ stories. We've had enough of them and I find them so unnecessary. If anyone should have got the "tragedy" ending, it should have been KengklaxTechno since their relationship was nonexistent but, instead, it's forced onto two characters that could have had a real good story. There's so much to Tin's backstory with his family that they could have a show of their own, especially since, yes, they made it seem like Can was falling for Tin. Slowly, but feelings were developing. I feel that, if they didn't see a second season in the making, it should have at least ended on a happier note but instead we're left with this and no guarantee of a season two so...

Sadly, I feel like LBC went down hill. I'm not saying don't watch it, Ae and Pete are totally worth re-watching and enjoying their story but...it's not a 10 for me anymore. I'd say a solid 7 thanks to Ae and Pete, they saved the show so, I guess, go in with low expectations or just to watch Ae and Pete. I do plan to re-watch them from time to time and, yes, I'll still hope for season two to hopefully fix the issues but that is unlikely from what I've heard. Overall, LBC had real great potential but, sadly, it didn't quite hit the mark. It's still a sweet show but, if there isn't a second season, I don't think it will be memorable for long.

Edit: I have re-watched the series and stand by my initial responses. KengklaxTechno didn't hit me as hard the second time around but I still think...it's just not ok. Plain and simple. TinxCan would be a really good end IF there was a sequel because it keeps up the hype of their relationship while also being realistic since Can hasn't been with a guy before so I can understand his feelings. Again, it goes back to whether they continue. If they don't, LBC will fade and never live up to the potential it could have had. If they make a S2 as good as the first it could be another classic.

Gottillc
Nov 12, 2018

Cute Little Love by Chance Story

Overall, I thought the series was pretty good. It's the story of two young men, Ae and Pete, who happen to meet by chance and Ae begins to help and take care of Pete (especially with a homphobic bully trying to blackmail him). Of course, Pete is gay and begins to confide to Ae, whom is very understanding and helps Pete to deal with the complexities of being a young gay male in certain societies. As a result of Ae's kindness, understanding, and assistance, Pete begins to develop feelings for Ae. Ae, who is "presumably" straight, eventually begins to develop feelings for Pete, and this is where we get the "Love by Chance" idea. Ae and Pete throughout the series go through numerous and sometimes humorous trials and tribulations establishing their relationship. Although some of the sex scenes between Pete and Ae were a "bit much". LOL However, the sex scenes are somewhat believable, given that their supposed to be upper teenage boys exploring their sexualities...

The series was cute and kept your attention, especially with the growing relationship between the other main characters, Tin and Can. Tin is a rich , egotistical snob, and Can is just a average soccer "jock" whose a little naive when it comes to relationships. But, Can is a staunch defender of Ae and Pete's relationship... especially, against Tin, who doesn't think Pete should be having anything to do with "The Thai Program" as he calls Ae, Can and their friends. Tin and Can's relationship start off as the typical Love/Hate, Rich/Poor scenario, but eventually starts to develop into something else. I really liked that relationship, (especially Tin's character). To watch Tin's development during the last episodes, learning of the abusive and arguably cruel treatment by his older brother (a person whom he most cherished and trusted in the world at that time) --- to watching him learn to love and trust again with Can. It's a good basic storyline.

Now, I know that BL dramas have to have their tragic situations.... But, there are a couple of disturbing scenes in the series that will make you want to throw an item at your TV or computer. The scene included a rape, which was not only perpetrated by someone the victim knew, but with the assistance of a family member of the victim. The other tragic turn in the series dealt with Tin and Can's relationship and how the storyline was left unresolved. This was most upsetting mainly due to the possibility there might not be a season 2. Hopefully, they'll at least do a mini-series (about 4 episodes) or possibly a movie, featuring the Tin and Can storyline, and give them a happier resolution... I think the fans would go absolutely wild!!! LOL

mrspartypoison
Nov 11, 2018
Ok so I haven't finished the show because I still have to watch the last episode but I know how it ends and...wtf??? If you had asked me two weeks ago I would have said that in my heart the show deserved a 9 but in my head it was a solid 7.5. Now both my heart and head think the same: It's just not that good. I'm pretty new to BL shows so I don't know what to expect from others after reading everywhere that this was probably the best drama they had seen. I really liked the story at the beginning, although Pete was a bit too much for me, and I was also very excited for Tin and Can because I love the ''enemies to lovers'' trope, but after episode like 9 or 10...eh? Things were going great for Ae and Pete, they were cute as always, but Tin and Can's plot was just so rushed (and Kengkla/Techno and Tum/Tar were nonexistent although I didn't care much about them tbh). I tried to enjoy the scenes that Can and Tin had together(even though they looked sooo out of nowhere lol) with hope knowing that if their plot was being rushed it was because they were going to be endgame...or not? Going back to the two forgotten couples (which had like 5 minutes of screen time), why would you include a topic as delicate as rape without giving it enough time? And Kengkla and Techno's storyline was very messed up too. Anyways, I know this looks as if I'm only ranting and didn't actually enjoy the show. I did and I invested a lot of energy in it so that's why I'm so mad. Maybe I was expecting too much from it because everyone was hyping it 24/7. If someone happens to read until here I'd say: watch it and reach to your own conclusion. It's nowhere near perfect but the two leads have good chemistry and most of the time they're quite nice and fluffy (I'm not super fond of possessive Ae but whatever).

Edit: I have tried to watch that last episode but I just can't bring myself to do it unless a second season is announced and that ending is fixed (which would be a Christmas miracle *sighs*). Fingers crossed and I'll wait for a show where Mean and Plan are the main couple and have a happy ending...please???

Synchonicity
Sep 30, 2018
Like most fans, I've become addicted to Love by Chance. While it's not my favorite series, I've been thinking about what it is that makes me like it as much as I do.

I like Ae (and he is a good actor). I think everybody dreams about having (or being) a head-over-heels in love superhero from time to time, and Ae fits that character. Other characters I like are Pond (he's so hilarious and really attractive), Tin (probably the hottest guy on the show and plays the jerk so well), the girl who plays Pond's girlfriend and Trump... yes, I actually enjoy him (although not his character, I realize he's the villain).

There's a good balance of romance, comedy and drama. While homophobia is part of the show (Trump; Tin), it's a small part, with a good deal of tolerance and acceptance of same-sex relationships. This is a good thing.

For me, the downsides of the show (not a dealbreaker) are the over-the-top-oh-so-cuuuuuute scenes between Ae and Pete... I like them but can we tone down the sugar overload just a bit? I know Pete is a fan favorite but, for me, his shyness/cuteness/weakness is so exaggerated that his character doesn't seem real. The Tum/Tar relationship bores me... possibly because the younger guy looks 12 and it's hard for me to imagine him in a serious relationship of any kind. Can makes me laugh (especially when he walks around blabbing to himself out loud in public), but his character is so weird... is he supposed to have some kind of mental disorder?

We're now 8 episodes in, and Ae/Pete are now officially a couple. Yay! They will have sex very soon (it's the big buildup right now) and probably move in together. Then what? If there's a Season 2, I'd prefer for them to be a "happily ever after" couple, and not the main focus, because that would mean a new set of intense drama for them. As for the rest of this season, I'm looking forward to what happens with Trump (you just know he's going to show up), as well as Tin/Can.

Edited to add: my review stands, but the ending absolutely ruined LBC for me. Hence, the reason for my somewhat low ratings. Because of the finale, I feel like I wasted my time watching it. It pains me to say that, because I really liked LBC.

Nov 13, 2018
The story revolves around 5 couples: AePete, TinCan, TumTar, KlaNo and PondChaAim,

The main couple is AePete and their screentime is basically 70% of the show and the remaining % are for the other couples with TinCan 15%, TumTar 5%, KlaNo 5% and PondChaAim 5%

The Director is New Siwaj Sawatmaneekul he also the director of Make it Right The Series so be prepared for the infinite easter eggs of that show.

I will not write the plot on this review because it's already written in the main page.

The Writing is pretty solid.

Is it perfect? No,

Is it something new? Also No, but it does its job. Its basically a fluff series with some angst thrown in there.

The series takles about mental illness, rape and Homophobia it wasn't written and executed 100% correctly but it does its job, which is spread awareness about the topics I written above.

The acting here is decent, it has some holes now and then especially with Can but you'll get over it because the music is everywhere in this series, which is not a bad thing I suppose but it sometimes it can be very annoying because you cant here the dialogues between the characters.

The Music, oh man! So the music is actually my favourite part of this series, the OSTs are really good, I actually downloaded some of it and listening to it, but like I written above I didnt like when they put the Music in every scene with MAX of the volume, like, I was watching a cute scene and then BOOM! the music was on, I almost got an heart attack because of it!

Is this series rewatchable? yes, it is

Scrlt_pimpernel
Nov 12, 2018
I liked the maturity that was brought to this BL. Our main couple actually kissed, had sex, but respected each other and seemed to have genuine affection. Yet they worried about real things that college students worry about. As usual, the music in a Thai BL leaves much to be desired, often ruining the mood. But thankfully even that was a bit toned down for this show. I didn’t love the way all the couples ended, but I supposed that’s realistic. I would rewatch this one right up there with Together With You.
Pedro Guida
Nov 5, 2018
Love By Chance is a series like no other in the BL genre. They seem to have made a list of all clichés, tropes and plot contrivances common in the genre and decided to subvert and destroy them one by one. Characters talk to each other and solve their problems in an adult manner instead of dragging miscommunication for the entire series… Obstacles are introduced and dealt with in the same episode or the next, without overwrought melodrama. It’s really refreshing and a masterclass in good writing. What in most series would take 13 episodes to overcome here is solved in episode one!
Instead of a “will-they-or-they-won’t” plot, which all romance, include Western, does, they show the natural progression of a relationship, through various stages, with all the adaptation and negotiation that it involves, in a very adult-manner. While that could easily be boring, the cast is magnetic, photography stunning, and they really have great dialogue and a lot of chemistry. A *LOT* of chemistry. This series often takes your breath away and a whole sequence in episode 7 is a steamy classic in itself.
You also see a lot of conversations regular shows completely skip over, about sex, jealousy, consent, compromise. The series is romantic and sexy, but also very realistic in the depiction of a healthy relationship.
As a viewer, I was always waiting for the traditional BL mode of throwing a wrench into the plot at some point, but that, thankfully, never happens. Instead, they make a bold decision to, in the last third of the series, essentially switch the protagonists and make the main couple supporting, which gives us a unique opportunity: see the main couple live their happily ever after on screen, because now there are news leads carrying the weight of the drama.
If one criticism is to be made is that there are other two possible couples on the posters and peppered throughout, but they are given little screentime and have very little connection to the main plot, feeling completely throwaway. It’s not a huge issue, as they don’t show up that often, but it’s glaring, especially because the stories deal with rape and are very misplaced in a series that explores consent so well, otherwise.
On the production site, as I mention, the photography is gorgeous and there are many different locations, making the show visually very interesting.
The act is superb and even the supporting actors are on point. There is one weak link in Plan, who plays Can, but the other actor he mostly shares scenes with is so good that balances that out.
I cannot recommend Love By Chance enough. It not just a great BL, it’s a great series, standing tall among Eastern and Western programmes as well.

Shima
Aug 27, 2018

A nearly polished gem everyone deserves

A heads up: this is the most fluttering, refreshing, and satisfying Thai BL has ever produced so far. A series mixed of fluff and drama, Love By Chance is your typical BL story selling us innocent and pure love. Most of the story arcs were promising, and upon its ending, it certainly delivered. Its cliche scenes did not compromise the humanity of the characters, which BL stories tend to abuse for squeals from fangirls, and making it believable and realistic. Above all, its authenticity shone throughout the show, credits going to all who are involved in this magnificent show which gave viewers - fans and casual viewers - a story rather than nonsense supercut of skinships and nonsensical kissing and humping.

The first main story of Ae and Pete seems to have been carefully written with its tendencies to curve a little from typical bs of BL and is just focused on delivering a *spoiler* pure, innocent, and genuine love with just a bit, if not totally without, pathetic twist and turns. The characterization of Ae and Pete is very simple but not forgetting the humanity and them, which makes their story work. Even their lines have some intricacies which don't just attempt to make fangirls fall from their seats. Skepticism arose from the second main story of Tin and Can due to probable exhaustion of authenticity where the first main story relied on, but somehow, thanks probably to its director, author's magic still worked, despite the story starting way too out of time and left hanging in the series. The other stories, however, were just too underdeveloped to allow viewers to sympathize with them, not to mention them being borderline questionable. It's major downfall is that romanticized story arc of Kengkla and Techno, which was ironic, having another arc which 'kinda' depicted some horrors of what rape could do to one.

The actors so far have acted most of their scenes more decent than the crap Thai BL has been feeding us fans. Perth, tho, steals the spotlight. Nah scratch that, Perth owned this show. He gave Ae justice which such good acting, as if Ae isn't from a TV show but actually living irl. Ae has become the most dynamic, three-dimensional seme a thai BL has ever offered, and his personification is all thanks to the great acting skills of Perth. Saint is in close second, who as well has given Pete the humanity most BL actors I have seen could not for a uke of the story. He delivers vulnerability of Pete perfectly that audience could understand his plight just by watching his diverse emotions seen in his face. It also showed how smart Saint is in acting. While Perth's acting is straightforward, Pete's relies on subtlety, which definitely worked for his role as Pete. From the variety of expressions he could give in just a frame to careful body language, Saint sure knows how to tease every fan not by using his mouth to fish squeals but by showing them that action speaks louder than words. These two actors have carried the first episodes by themselves and made Love By Chance worth the wait for each upcoming episodes. They made Ae and Pete real and cemented the credibility of this show. There were hiccups of course, like Plan in the first part and Gun, but forgivable. Plan is often subject to my criticism due to the awkwardness of his acting, but eventually caught up during his important scenes. He allowed Tin x Can ship to sail and go on to its adventure. Mean is consistent in all of his scenes, making Tin a delight for viewers who want a not-so-flat character tsundere guys tend to be.

Its original OST and those which subsequently released are awesome, fitting perfectly for the mood and theme of the story. The use of other soundtrack from other series though is distracting, which voids Love By Chance as that new BL series apart from other series.

Love By Chance is that story you'd look for deep down the list of most popular being mostly trash BL stories everywhere but it's that nearly polished gem everyone deserves.

RPS
Nov 20, 2018
So I just finished this series and created this account just for this.

Until the episode before the last everything is okay. But then in the last episode everything rushes to an end and things will even leave you with a heartbreak. My advise to you is to just focus and cheer on the main couple and the drama will please you.

SPOILER COMING UP NOW:

I hated Tin and Can's ending, it left me heartbroken. The other ships weren't even clear to me, except for Pete and Ae of course. They could've done way better on this, I'm dissappointed and left with may questions.

Flanz Sia
Oct 22, 2018
Story : The beginning of watching this series feels good, they built the story well, but somehow the next episode (Pete and Ae section) is no longer interesting! Unattractive, because they offer fansservice too much more than the story ! A few days ago the LBC director said: 'The series was made so that peoples have a positive mindset about LGBT!' But I don't feel like that! This series is like a porn series! How do they want to change people's mindsets with scenes like that ?! You must see comments on social media! They made comments like 'Want to have sex with Pete or Ae and other pornographic comments', after watching this series. This series does not teach a positive mindset towards LGBT, but teaches free sex among young people!!!

Acting/Cast : Their acting is good even though it's a bit stiff

Music : Their music is like Make it Right the series! Are their teams the same? Looks similar

Rewatch Value : Nope

SaruNguyen
Sep 1, 2018
I like this series! But I have to be honest about this series and review based on my experience watching BL series and films, since 2006. Why are many BL series now similar !! This series is like copying scenes from another series. It doesn't matter if you are inspired by another series! But too much inspiration or imitation is not good! MIR? LOVE SICK? Water Boyy Series? TOGETHER WITH ME? BAD ROMANCE? 2MOONS? ADVANCE BRAVELY? GREY RAINBOW? PUPPY HONEY? SOTUS ?? AND ?? Oh my God !! They have to find original ideas and stop imitating! Don't hate me for this review :) I'm just honest with this review. I hope with this review, the BL series can develop better without having to copy other popular series.

Jessica
Nov 19, 2018
*Potential spoiler section is marked below*

Ahhh, the series that made viewers fall in love and then broke their hearts! Putting aside the unfortunate news that Season 2 is unlikely, I still think this is a good drama and recommend adding it to your watch list. Just get your heart and tissues ready before watching the final episode (and make sure to watch the Director's Version so you don't miss anything).

The plot was interesting and dynamic, with each episode moving the story along nicely. Beware that we are introduced to a lot of characters up front, and for me at least it was a little challenging keeping track of who was who and what their relationship to one another was, but with the help of a cheat sheet and a couple of episodes later, I had each one down.

The acting, for the most part, was pretty good. Although some actors in the beginning felt a little stiff, I did notice it improving as the series went on. Saint as Pete was absolutely adorable, and he somehow managed to exude both shy innocence and sexy naughtiness. As others have noted, it was so refreshing to see that this character was gay and not gay-for-you, which occurs frequently in BL pieces. Perth as Ae was caring and doting, and his loyalty to and protectiveness of Pete was charming. Tin and Can--ugh, my favorite couple and the favorite of probably a majority of fans as well. Can (or Cantaloupe, as Tin likes to call him *my heart*) was so cute: young, naive, and pretty much drama-free until resident tsundere Tin decides to make Can the target of his affections. Once it became apparent that they would become a pair, I waited impatiently for the upcoming episode to see how much further along they would get. I just loved the side of Tin that Can brought out, and seeing Can get so flustered with Tin as he tried to work out his emotions towards the other boy was so charming and well-done. And that last scene with Tin in the shower, wow. Surrounding circumstances notwithstanding, he really shone in that scene. It was so beautiful and so raw and probably the best-acted scene in the entire series, in my humble opinion.

There are two other BL couples to speak of, though they don't get nearly as much screen time. The first is Tum and Tar, step-brothers who harbor complicated feelings for one another and one of whom hides a dark secret. The second consists of Kenglka, a high school student crushing on his best friend's brother, Techno, a university student who is friends with Ae and Can. Though short, I feel that Tum and Tar are given sufficient screen time to tell a complete story and leave you with a bit of closure. But I was a bit disappointed that KlaNo's story got barely any development. The most significant thing that happened between them occurred in the last episode, and it felt more like the beginning of something that would have been explored further in Season 2. I did hear that P'New was going to make a spin-off for these two characters, though we'll see if that's still going to happen now. I hope that he does, as I'd love to see Mark and Gun breathe more life into these characters. Though they only had a few minutes together as a couple, Mark did so well in his role as Kengkla, and I'm curious to know how KlaNo's relationship develops.

Characters aside, in terms of story line, from what I've seen, P'New stuck pretty closely to the timeline and events in the books. Thus, although I got a little bored with Ae and Pete's story, preferring to see more development in the three side couples, I appreciate the director's faithfulness to the original text. This also helps explain why the other couples didn't get as much screen time, especially TumTar and KlaNo, as I don't think they played major roles in the book (with Tum and Tar playing bigger roles in other books from this universe). And, without revealing too much, this may also explain why one of the couples got a sad (read: heartbreaking) ending. I think the series just ended in the wrong place in the books.

***BEGIN SPOILER***
Speaking of that ending, because I have to get my thoughts down . . . . Sadly, Tin and Can do not get a happily ever after. At least, not in the series. This, coupled with the fact that Season 2 seems unlikely, is the source of disappointment for most people. One the one hand, I respect P'New's rationale that it makes the series more realistic: not everyone gets a happy ending. I can also see where Can's rejection was somewhat supported by his earlier actions. Tin was the more pushy one, and Can struggled with his feelings throughout the entire series. He was still struggling when Tin confessed to him, trying to figure out the difference between liking someone as a friend and liking someone as more than that. But on the other hand, Can also (perhaps subtly) seemed to be warming up to having Tin as a boyfriend, which I think gave a lot of viewers hope and made the ending even more surprising. We saw Can get jealous when he though Tin liked someone else, and we also saw Can ask for more kisses when hanging out with Tin earlier. Again, it may just be that Tin confessed too soon, before Can had a chance to work out his feelings, and because of that I can see how P'New would construe the confession scene, and its consequences, the way he did.
***END SPOILER***

Overall, this was a really solid start to what could have been a few great seasons, and I'm sad to see it end the way it did. I'll keep my fingers crossed that things will get resolved and we'll get a Season 2 or maybe a couple of spin-offs, but I thin right now P'New needs a break from the real-life drama. On the plus side, I heard he's cleaning up some unedited footage with plans to release it, so at least we'll get one final treat. I'm also now impatiently waiting for the English translation of the novel to be released to I can get that happy ending I'm told exists. :)