Shadow (2018) poster

• Movie: Shadow
  • Country: China
  • Release Date: Sep 30, 2018
  • Duration: 1 hr. 56 min.
  • Genres: Wuxia, Martial Arts
  • Rating: Not Yet Rated

underwater_bubble
Apr 6, 2019
Zhang Yimou directed an amazing movie once again. The actors did a wonderful job, the costumes were impressing, the story and the characters had a quite interesting devepment. The movie is full of yin and yang sympolisms which create a very special atmosphere. While most of the colours are missing the image is quite balanced and the performed music and martial arts have a different "colour" than what we're used to.
An excellent choice of a movie to watch at the cinema. Personally, I loved it, however I would suggest someone watch some other chinese movies before that, because I have the impression that they would not quite get the importance of the numerous symbolisms.

Cambear
May 14, 2019
From Zhang Yimou I expected a gorgeously shot movie and this absolutely delivered.

Gorgeous art direction (surprising and fitting use of ONLY black, white and grey), beautiful camera work, excellent action sequences, terrific performances and morale ambiguity....all trademarks of his films. He’s an expert film maker and an expert movie maker. It’s exciting, suspenseful, surprising, heartbreaking and all the emotions.

It’s a smart and sophisticated popcorn movie for cinema buffs and for those looking for a fun movie, too.
CandyCoffee
This movie was one of the most visually beautiful that I have seen. However, the story is extremely slow for the first half. The second half had more action. The fight scenes were unique and different and they basically carried the movie for the second half. The characters, while well acted, were obscure with little understanding of why things were the way they were. There were only a few characters that, for me, were interesting to watch.
It was hard for me to watch it since I didn't care for much for characterization and the plot seemed like it was trying it's hardest to be purposefully mysterious and symbolic. I suggest fast forwarding thru the first half.