The Best Twins (2019) poster

Jessica
May 19, 2019

A Bit of A Mess

STORY:
If you’re looking for a series with an intricate, thoughtful, developed plot line, then you might want to skip this as I don’t think it’ll be your cup of tea. However, if you don’t mind a bit of nonsense, silliness, and fluffiness, then I think you’ll find The Best Twins enjoyable. I’m on the fence about this one, finding it funny and endearing at times but frustratingly stupid at other times. Some would argue that the point of the show is that it makes fun of stereotypes, fantasies, and fetishes, and that the writers don’t intend that this be some deep masterpiece. I totally get that. It’s pretty obvious from the first episode that the writers aren’t taking themselves or this show too seriously. But it doesn’t change the fact that the series is poorly written and virtually lacking in plot. There’s a way to provide smart, satirical commentary, but The Best Twins does not do that.

More specifics: First, the writing could have been tighter. A lot of the scenes contained nonsense that dragged on without really advancing the story, as if the writers wanted to include silliness just for the sake of being silly (which I found tiring). Second, lot of the humor is very obvious and slapstick, and I prefer more subtle, clever humor. Finally, I found the endless playing of sound effects whenever something was funny a bit grating. However, I know that all of these are techniques often used in comedies (which aren’t my favorite genre to begin with), so these may not be as huge of an issue to you as they are to me—I do think it’ll come down to preference.

Humor aside, I also didn't like that so many side characters were introduced, but for what purpose? They were given virtually no story arc at all—and anything that was there was incredibly shallow. Moreover, some storylines seemed to be dropped after just a few episodes. As a huge a huge fan and proponent of Chekhov’s Gun, I found these things frustrating and a waste of time and material.

ACTORS/CHARACTERS:
The actors were kind of hit or miss. The ones who really saved this drama for me—and the ONLY reason I continued watching—were Mild and Pak (acting as Pond). I’d only every seen Mild in What the Duck, where he played an adorably awkward minor role, so I wasn’t too sure what to expect from him going into this. I fell in love with him almost immediately. His character is so sweet and endearing, so easy to empathize with him as he yearned for Pond. Also, the chemistry between him and Pak was so good—they made my heart melt in every little scene together. They get a 100 out of 10 from me. Seriously, their dynamic is one of the best I’ve seen in Thai BL, and I’ve definitely found a new ship.

As for the other characters—shallow, two-dimensional, stock like. Their roles and story lines weren’t given enough time to develop, so I didn’t really care about them at all. They were just there for filler I guess.

OVERALL:
I know this will come down to personal preference, but overall I don’t think I’d recommend The Best Twins. Without a doubt Mild and Pak (and their amazing chemistry) were the ONLY saving grace for me; without them, I probably would have dropped this drama. There were parts that made ma laugh and parts that made me go “aww” but I just don’t think it can hold a candle next to some other Thai BLs out there (and yes, this is taking into consideration the fact that it’s a comedy).

Marina
May 5, 2019
i feel like some people that talk about the ‘lack of plot’ in this series are really missing the point and not appreciating this very left-of-centre humour! The series def started out as complete fluff and obvious humour, but esp in the first four episodes when we are constantly tricked with the flashbacks, there is a definite joke between the director and audience and i absolutely love it :) It definitely seems to set out to play on yaoi girl/gay fantasies about what we want to see, and then having a bit of fun with our expectations. Esp in eps 5 and 6 they also make fun of cultural differences and stereotypes several times in an unoffensive but humorous way. I like that this series has a very different feel to other bl dramas- this is the same reason that i loved What The Duck. I hope more ppl can appreciate this series moving forward, and accept that the charm of the show does not lie entirely with having a strong plot.

Synchonicity
May 19, 2019
I liked it. Not my favorite by a long shot and I don't know whether I will rewatch it or not. But it was a fun, lighthearted comedy that I looked forward to each week, so I'm happy I watched it.

It's true that the plotlines and characters could have been developed more but, overall, I wasn't disappointed. In the end, Pond and Tee ended up together: so did Per and Jasmine. It was hard to tell the other guy couples ended up as actual couples but, at the very least, we knew that they were good friends and everyone was happy. Even Ball, the villain, finally got over Pond and looked to be hooking up with the teacher (not sure of his name). Overall, the story lines were wrapped up satisfactorily, which is more than I can say for a number of "better" series.

TBT explored the subject of homophobia with with the twins' sister, Pad. I'm glad they did this, but it was a bit over the top. Watching Pad beat her brother (not to mention her students) with a big stick was ridiculous... we're not in Saudi Arabia here. And what strong, adult male is going to just stand there and let his sister torture him? At the end, I guess we're supposed to believe that Pad had some sort of revelation after her time at the temple but, if so, I would have appreciated a scene where she apologized to her brother and students, really showing that she understood the error of her thinking. Unfortunately, it was just barely hinted at.

Still, I liked the comedy. The hints of sexual encounters (that really weren't that at all) between Jaet/Kao and Thor/his friend (name?) were hilarious. The Korean guy (posing as Jasmine's friend) had me smiling a lot, I loved him. I get a little annoyed by some of the cutesy music and sound effects used in a lot of Thai BLs, but I liked the ones here, it added to the overall enjoyment of the story (at least for me).

Other things that made me smile: the androgynous school friend with the hairclips, Tee's daydreams where he ended up in a kissing pose (or with his arms outstretched), and the deep, sexy "oh yeah" voice that would come on every time a hot guy was shown scantily clothed. The Korean guy was hilarious in the scene with the cockroach in the shower (although the subsequent cockroach scenes were a bit of an overkill).

All in all, I'd recommend this to anyone looking for some fun, lighthearted fluff.

Snowflakes
1 day ago
The lady who acted as ponds sister and mother of tee was really bad.. I can't even remember their names after watching it.. And the boy who acted as tee was not suitable for that role.. I m dispointed.. They could have made this better

johnnyneedscash
Jun 27, 2019
This is a difficult one, there are exactly two perspectives on this show: one perspective absolutely adores every single thing of the series, the other thinks it's stupid. Therefore, I try to be completely objective and hopefully, helpful!

Let's start.

The storyline... well. I admit that there isn't a thrilling plot to follow. There aren't any mysteries, there isn't a complex story behind the whole series and it also doesn't develop like you may want it/expect it. BUT that's not the point of the drama at all, and you'll notice while watching. The whole series is meant to be funny and unexpected and humerous. And it is! It made me laugh really hard (and normally, I actually don't like the comedian parts in Asian dramas, maybe because I'm only used to Western humour). The characters are so fucking ridiculous, but in a cute and lovable way! (Especially Thor, you have to love him)
Yes, the series lacks a plot that's really intense and thrilling, but it doesn't need to have one, it really makes up for it with its humour, its point of view filming and the actors! I don't want to hype it because I know that the opinions drift far apart, but I guess it's worth watching when you're into cute, lovey-dovey behaviour and ridiculously funny characters. Yes, it's not as awesome as other dramas I've seen so far, but it's very sweet, authentic and just down-right laughable. I think it will be much fun when you try to watch it and when you forget every prejudice you have on Asian dramas. The humour is the key word in this drama! The director played with the filming, with the "daydream sequences", the puns and... everything. It's very thought-through and you'll enjoy it.

ALSO (but that's just for me): I really love Thor. And (I hope) you'll love him too. I also really adored the actors of Tee and Pond (probably because I loved their performance in "Love's Coming"), but, actually, every actor/actress did a very good job in being exaggerating and overdone and ridiculously funny.

NaDa AbuRaya
Sep 16, 2019
okay idk why everyone said it was bad i really like it !! maybe bc i love Pek idk but i had a fair amount of laughing from my heart in this show ..
i really not into comedy shows cause most of them over acting and zero story .. but i think here we have story about 2 adult twins that they can't live their lives bc of their sister !!! not just the gay on but even the straight one !! she was bit the shit out of them for no reason just bc she don't like that way of living !!!!
yeah the second twin wasn't really involved in the story i really like to see more of him but i get that the story more about the gay one so it's okay ...
there was no plot yeah but the characters were developing and for me that's more important than the plot ,
the series show 2 points really serious in the most smooth way :
1) whatever you would do in your life you should consider the comfort of the ppl around you as much as yours , it's important specially if they were your family !!!
2) how the family should accept or refuse the way one of them live their life , like seriously no one hit and abuse anyone for how he choose to live his freaking life !!!!!!! this is CRAAAAAAAAZYYYY ..

about the acting , omg i loved all of them specially Pek he is too much for me like he really show so much love and care for the actor in front of him whatever boy or a girl .. i really loved him here with the girl , i really hope to see more of him as a straight character and i really loved him with mild here too much he looks so comfortable with him i hope to see them mooore ,
i loved thor and max too so much .. thor made me laughing sooo hard that my stomach hurts most of the time bc of him !!!

overall i would recommend it and re-watch it too

sierrakay
Oct 29, 2019
Okay, so I saw a lot of people in the reviews kind of shitting on this show. I honestly don’t get it. A lot of people say it doesn’t have a storyline, while it does. It focuses on the main characters getting together. Personally I though this show, while it may not have the best plot or acting was amazing. This is a happy show with a lot of fluff. While some people might find that suffocating, with the amount of angst in queer based television, this is so refreshing to me. I am a queer person who looks to find themselves in shows, and seeing such a happy cutesy show makes me happy. I highly suggest watching it, if you are like me.

DivaRabbit
Aug 24, 2019
In all honesty I was originally really excited to watch this drama and at first it was okay however the chemistry between the two main couples felt rushed and the constant dream moments that happened randomly were confusing. However I continued watching mostly for Tiger, Thor, Kao, Jaet and Max. The supporting roles seemed to have more character and kept the show interesting. The ending felt incomplete and the couple's didn't develop enough there was no real plot line that connected all the characters just these two go to school with tee and these are friends of Pond. It didn't feel like a finished product. This might have been because it only had 8 episodes and yet had a short concise plot that could be furthered into something that had a major concept that worked for all the characters. Instead we just got multiple kiss scenes that turned out to be dreams almost as though they just wanted lots of kiss scenes regardless of the plot development and side characters that could have had important and entertaining stories such as what was happening between Thor and Max and more about what sort of person Tiger is or even whether or not Kao and Jaet would be together. Or more about Pond , Per and Pad family relationship. I feel like it would have been better to make a longer 2 season series that focused on all of the many funny characters as well as the mains or a short 8 episode series that didn't bother getting into the side characters' lives at all over the actual show which is a short 8 episode series that focused too much on the side characters (of which there were too many for such a short show) and nowhere near enough on the main characters. I think a well planned side-show on Max and Thor would be so much fun as they already seemingly have a more justified chemistry and deeper possible character arc than Tee and Pond.

DonataR
Jan 9, 2020
To be honest it took me a while to get into this show. During the first 3 episodes it just seemed silly and senseless to me. But once I got used to the humor and the characters I started to really like it, so from episode 4 onward I enjoyed watching it a lot. In the beginning I didn't really find the jokes funny, but now they made me laugh more and more. Especially Pad and Tee's mother where so funny!
Pad was my overall favorite character even if her development seems to still be kind of incomplete at the end of the series. Another of my favorites was Chai. And I also really liked Tiger (the fake one obviously), before I knew who he really was, I was actually shipping him with Tee. I didn't really like Pond and how he treated Tee kind of annoyed me, but they definitely did have some cute scenes and the running gag with Tee's fantasies was a nice little comedic element.
Overall I would definitely classify this show first and foremost as a comedy and mostly watched it for the funny scenes rather than the BL. The story and the emotional scenes are not as memorable in my opinion, but the characters are funny and loveable so it was definitely enjoyable to watch!

Demy_Martin
Aug 22, 2019
I originally watched this because the two leads worked together in the film "Love's Coming" Which I absolutely adore and this is one of the best lgbt films out there. Although they don't have a lot of screen time together here, the actors have a lot of chemistry and I really want to see them in more dramas together.
Pros: The actors, at least the leads and their friends were great. It was a bit jarring to see a western/non-thai actor in the cast but the actor was great and his thai speaking skills were phenomenal so it didn't throw you off once he actually started talking. The plot is simple and the series is extremely short which makes it a fun, quick series to pass your time. Regardless of how comedic it is, I did find the overall concept of a sister not wanting to accept her brothers sexuality very real and touching.
Cons: Some of the comedy did get a little cringy at times but it made you laugh most of the time. The extra actors did not seem to care as much about their performances.
Overall: The series played with comedy and story to bring a very necessary topic (family related issues to coming out) in a short series. Give it a shot, people judge too much.

choi
Jun 17, 2019
This was my first thailand drama (lakorns, I think they're called?). And I am not impressed yet. This was not a terrible drama. But it had so many things that I disliked and it was kinda cringy. So there is a lot of things that I want to criticize. But it was short and easy to watch so I though "why not?" and finished this drama.

THE PLOT and THE STORY
I don't really think there was enough plot to keep me that interested or focused. Or to make another season of The Best Twins, for example. This was a short drama so I watched the whole series. But I didn't like all those special sound effects in "funny scenes", they were annoying. I still got used to them while watching. But still, in my opinion, they were not needed. I felt like the plot was all over the place and still not really going anywhere. They were just showing some gays to interact with each other and that was actually the reason why I started watching this drama. Being gay is something you don't usually see in Asian dramas. So it's good that this topic was here all the time. There was also these awkward moments of misunderstandings that were usually kinda funny - but also cringy at the same time. The humour in this drama was poop-like.

MUSIC
The music was okay, not really oustanding or anything. I liked the opening song, it was cute. Other songs and sound effects didin't really stood out to me.

THE ACTING
The acting was not that great. I don't know if Tee's character was just written to be awkward and shy, but everytime he was on the screen I felt a little embarassed for him. He was cute in his own way - but at the same time I had a feeling that the actor was not that good playing his role. Pond (and Per) was better, even tho I had (at first) some issues to separate Pond from Per because the actor was the same :D And Pond was also quit a good-looking. Ball was interesting, with all his attempts to try to get Pond back together with him. And he was so handsome too! I don't really know why there was many non-thailand people in this drama, Thor and Tiger, for example. Tiger was a little annoying and his way of speaking was so fast that it just got on my nerves. Yet again, I don't know if he was written to be like that or if the actor just played his role like that. Other characters were just fine.

And oh! The kissing scenes were just awkward and I don't really understand why Pond kept his EYES OPEN while kissing?! That's just creepy :D Also I don't understand why Pond's sister, for example, said her lines so LOUDLY. And I think some of the actors overacted too.

REWATCH VALUE
I would not really recommend this drama but go ahead if you want something easy and not that great to watch. This drama has its moments but I won't rewatch it ever again. One time is enough. At least I got a little taste of thai dramas, what's the language like and all that.

Egitby
Jun 3, 2019
Aduh ini series udh gue tunggu tunggu dari awal tahun 2019 Alhamdulilah kesampean juga nonton sampe final tafi siang sampe malem Hahaha nonton maraton udh kaya nonton k-drama.. Waktu gue tonton ini series rada kecewa karna plot nya Dan juga Banyak sekali adegan komedi di Waktu yang tidak tepat :(:( sangat di sayangkan harus nya moment moment yang bagus Jangan di hancurkan gara gara komedi nya :(:( Ohh Iya hampir aja gue lupa gue suka banget sama pak guru yang ngajar di sekolah smp Aduhh ganteng banget kaga tahan gue sama Setiap Ada adegan si bapa guru Itu, Tapi bagaimanpun juga gue suka sama akting pak Dan mild nya love untuk Kalian berdua