When the Devil Calls Your Name (2019) poster

reti
Sep 20, 2019
What a pity the drama ended. I have been saying this since beginning, but I think that it's still underrated. I have a lot to write, hence I don't know with what I ought to start.

The ending! It was so good! For me, no matter how good drama was, last episode is always the worst, even when the ending was happy. I think that a lot of writers and directors struggle with this topic - If I was a one, I would too. It's so hard to let go of your own characters, tie everything together and deliver the right emotions and message to viewers. Here, chapeau bas! I can confidently say that it was my favorite last episode ever. I cannot recall any other ending that did such a great impression on me. I will praise creators of this drama for a long time. I'm almost 100% sure that we didn't have any plot holes and everyone's actual situation/ending were explained.

I truly loved these characters! The actors here were an absolutely top tier. I had been watching actors I knew before and some new faces for me that I automatically added to lists with my favorites. At the beginning of this series I commented here that "all of them have their good and bad sides, which can't be that obvious in the context of this drama". I still think the same. The story and relationships were unique. Creators misleaded us countless times. Also, I learnt so much thanks to this drama. The story, sentences and morals were meaningful.

It is almost hard to believe that this is a drama. It has a lot of movie vibes. I think it would be even better to watch the whole series at one time and I will definitely rewatch it.

I was surprised that a lot viewers were confused with episodes 12/13 and 14. In my opinion, scenes you didn't like, direction and pace of them were somehow meaningful and in the beat of the scenario. They greatly highlighted main sense and concerns of this story, even when you found it extravagant.

I adored all of the plot twists here. Usually, I could predict some of them but here... Not really. It is one of the biggest virtue - you never knew what else can happen. They handled it in the best way and I was surprised almost every episode. Definitely on one of the highest positions in my ranking with dramas which were the best in this topic.

Music. It nourished my soul and I will listen to the one of the best OST's in the history for a long weeks or months. I memorized these songs so well. They're just beautiful: words and melodies are worth every minute. The actors did a great job singing here.

Definitely in my top three of favorite dramas ever. Everything was so consistent and I can't criticize anything here. I will miss it so much. If you didn't watch it, I encourage you to do so.

Amarilis
Sep 20, 2019
This is by far one of the best Kdrama I've watched in the years of my life. It has a unique genre covering a story between God, the devil and human. It also covers about human's greed and selfishness. It's a pity this drama seems to be underrated.

I really enjoyed the story line. The writers are great (kudos to them) for writing the ending. It gave closure to the watchers (not many drama do this nowadays). I especially love the ending as the writers gave each characters a great ending, though not happily ever after kind of ending, but it sure won't leave you to your own imagination.
I really love Igyeong's character in this drama, she was so humble, kind-hearted and unselfish girl (which doesn't really existed in reality). There are some lessons you can get from this drama (some wise advise from Harip towards the end).
A big round of applause to the actors and actresses portraying the characters perfectly. To the point of that annoying Jung Ra-in (but got used to her towards the end as the writer made her to be good). The devil's character was portrayed perfectly evil (facial expressions, etc). It was an AMAZING casts. Thank you for the hard works into this drama.

Lastly, the musics... I guess.. the phrase "Let the music heals your soul" does really apply in this drama. I love all the musics in this drama. If you really like music, go listen to it. I may not understand Koreans nor did I read the songs translations but the music itself is pleasing to the ears. Some of the songs are already embedded in my brain and can't help to hum it every time I hear the melody.

Overall... if you really like drama.. this is a must watch... this drama is superb.
Hope my review helps...

chintya
Sep 20, 2019
At first I didn't know about this drama at all. I wanted to download other drama when I stumbled upon WTDCYN's first episode that was just released that day. Out of curiosity I watched it and I loved it right away. So I decided to excitedly waiting every Wednesday and Thursday to watch this drama.

I must say this is not the most perfect drama out there. It was lacking about something and personally I was a bit dissapointed in episode 13 & 14. They seemed so "lost". Like they were in a rush to finish the drama. Though I felt like that, thank Lord it was saved because the fact that I was attached to the characters and the storyline. Like I said, this is not a perfect drama. Other than that, I have no complaint.

The actors were so incredible in portraying their characters. I love I Gyeong's character here. She was so humble and not selfish at all. She only wanted her mom and brother to live life without nuisance and harm. Even though she had painful memory in the past, she just let it go and moved on. I appreciate other characters too because they were amazing.

The soundtracks. Man. Hands down. They have the best soundtracks of the year. This drama deserves this title at least.

I couldn't expect the ending would be like that. I was hoping a bitter sweet ending but I'm still happy about it at the end. I love how SDC decided to live as himself.

I am so thankful that I found this drama haha. I never felt attached like this for a drama after Jealousy Incarnate. So I'M SO GLAD <3

Poia
Sep 25, 2019

A peculiar journey through the soul

I can't deny that I expected something different, or at least I didn't expected this.
The drama turned out to be more peculiar than I expected and the reference "inspired on Faust by Goethe" is not accidental. It is in fact a psychological drama that analyzes and compares human free will with the laws dictated by the deities (deity / evil). The story is completely character driven and evolves around the lifestyle choices made by Ha Rip, his actions influence the lives of others and both he, and the other protagonists, will have the chance to experience a strong character development. The drama has some flaws but on the whole it has been able to differentiate itself from all these similar dramas that run lately. The whole cast did a great job but the couple JKH and PSW obviously is the one that shined the most.

It is difficult to describe the plot of WTDCYN without making spoilers, so I will limit myself to describing to you what are the main topics:

1) the complex relationship of love / hate between father and son, this theme is the trigger of all the actions committed by the protagonists.

2) sell the soul to the devil, a good part of the drama analyzes how humans are willing to sell their soul and for what reasons, not only for greed, but also for sacrifice, love and above all desperation.

Unfortunately, as already mentioned the drama is not perfect, the author has chosen a difficult subject to deal with and not everyone can be Goethe. (no offense). Both the plot and the direction were a bit of a mess, the initial part is very confusing, it's a mix of genres and sub-plots, a sign that the author wasn't sure which way to go. When he finally decided to choose the tragedy, things started to improve. From ep. 6 the true story begins to take shape, the pieces of the puzzle are recomposed and each character shows us a heartbreaking story.

I didn't like the direction because it changed too quickly and too often from one character to another, passing from comic scenes to tragic scenes within a few seconds, at first I liked the switch comedy/melodrama but when it became clear this was tragic I found the comedy a bit annoying.
You didn't have time to digest what had just happened that the plot moved to another character. (Perhaps it is a common problem of character-driven plots, I don't know, I usually don't watch them unless it's a slice of life.)  At one point they also tried to play the romance card and then immediately withdraw it, luckily for us. But there are some "side crush" and romantic implications.

The music / entertainment component is only the sector chosen to set this story but it is not a music drama, despite the soundtrack being magnificent, at least if you like old rock style ballads.

Overall it was an interesting ride inside the most difficult and obscure subconscious of humanity, the soul.

rymes
Sep 23, 2019
This drama was absolutely gorgeous, the music was breathtaking, the acting was mesmerizing, every single minute was wonderfully staged. The only problem was the slow, stumbling pacing and inadequate script. Another review uses the word "lost" to describe the story — I wholeheartedly agree.

First off, the actors delivered in their roles as incredibly well-rounded, challenging human beings. In particular, I want to highlight Lee El as it's one of her best roles in ages; if you're a fan, this is a must-watch as she single-handedly delivers tons of incredibly tender and dazzlingly cool moments. Jung Kyong Ho gave a solid performance as this deep raspy-voiced wizened old man who transitions into a whiny young master-type with smooth ease. And of course, his dispairing breakdown scenes totally shook my heart. The real break out gem was Lee Seol, who wasn't on my radar before (I wasn't impressed by her previous works), but displayed an incredible range and totally made me stand up and take notice by the middle (note that the actress doesn't sing the main songs, but that's hardly a demerit). Park Sung Woong was tons of fun and had great chemistry with the cast. It's a rare series where not one character fell flat; even the role of Lee Choong Ryul was turned out wonderfully; I really wanted to beat his face in (and then pinch his cheeks)!

Soundtrack of the year, hands-down. Until I get my hands on the CD, I'm rewatching the drama just for the music.

Where the series really fell flat was the lengthy, repetitious monologues and overextended pacing; it was very much "tell, don't show." The worst part was, it didn't even tell that much, but instead kept repeating the same old lines up until a big rush to wrap up the plot at the end. To be sure, the drama kept me on the edge of my seat —but after a while, it got far too tiring with too little payoff. The ending came as a relief, but the plot seemed to just jump and skip so many steps in character development to get there that it just wasn't that satisfying. I can understand why the ratings were so low.

Just to nit-pick on plot, and in case you're looking out for some of your favorite smaller actors—The Kang Ha side-plot was bafflingly shallow, and in my opinion the entire character should have been cut or at least more closely integrated into the main storyline. Ditto for Yoo Ra In and Mr. Kang; this drama's attempts at including comedic foils were fell flat for me, and therefor I couldn't get too invested in their characters when they started getting deep and serious. In comparison, Lucca's plotline was so flat, the character barely had time to develop—his only use was to be banged around as a plot device to force events to keep going (great acting, though, I'm keeping an eye out for his lead roles). On the other hand, Kim Won Hae's character hardly made a dent despite being essential plot fodder.

In comparison with other dramas, all of these negative points come to nothing. But since every other element of this drama is so brilliant, they stand out like a sore thumb.

The cloudy
Sep 28, 2019
Believe it's really good.
From the beginning of the first episode till the last second of the last episode is truly amazing.
Even though it's really overrated and in Korea the rating wasn't good but the people who have watched would tell you that ' it's worthy '.
The story is fully refreshing and new, it's not the same supernatural drama story but truly great , it is full of mystery , and unexpected.
The cast was really good , every cast is perfect in their roles. The OSTs are perfect and heart touching.
-- Overall it's one of the best drama of the year and from beginning to the end, you won't get bored and the hour will be feel like minutes !????