The Effect (2019) poster

• Popularity: #2050

crazysexycoolpal
"THE EFFECT"

From the start it should have given you an idea on what you should be looking for, the every possible EFFECTs of the things we say or do. As for Newton's Third Law of motion states: "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". For every EFFECT there is a CAUSE. One does not do an action without a reason behind it. The reason may be obvious, deliberate; but it could be also hidden or unaware to the person doing the action.

When the world you know suddenly was turned upside-down, will you able to handle it even as if the problems of the world rest on your shoulders? How can you recover when your world is seemingly shattered into pieces? Will you be able to rebuild it the way it used to be, or even better?

STORY
This is a 10 for me.

The show unabashedly and in an unadulterated way features topics that seemingly people just sweep under the rug. (1) rape, (2) rumor mongering on social media, (3) suicide and (4) implied mental issue. Yes, number 1 and 3 have already mentioned in other BL series, but the way this series presented those is raw, graphic and it did not sugar-coat it. For the forth topic which is "mental health" is not that obvious, you need to analyze every detail from the start down to the very last scene. One needs to be very objective and it will be hard to do it with this very emotional show to see things through. It is presented in a way to raise awareness. The kind of EFFECTs any of the mentioned above could have is what the series wants to focus on.

This shows the rape also occurs in the same-gender world and not only exclusive to the male-female relationship. It is traumatizing when a person is subjected to rape, let alone to relive it when you are opening it up to another person. That is why victims of rape tend not to tell anyone or report it to the authorities.

The power of social media. This is what consuming the society nowadays. With the information age at hand, it can bring out the bests in people as well as the worsts. It can be a tool to create a beauty or destroy. The problem with social media, specially with pictures, it does not show the whole story. It just capture the millisecond. Even shared videos aren't 100% accurate if it doesn't show what happened before and after. Social media can rally for a cause, or spread rumors like a wildfire. The question is, will you share right away something that is not validated? This reminds us to be more responsible in what we do and say on social media because we might not know, someone is hurting and dying inside.

They say the people that commit suicide does not want really to die, but just want the pain to end. Often times, they think that ending one's life is the easy way to end the suffering. We should not judge people that commit this kind of act as we never walked in their shoes, lived the life and fight the everyday battles. Rape does not necessarily result to death, it is the depression the one goes through that would make someone to take his/her life.

Episode 1 is the very typical love story, the beginning, the progression of the feelings and finally, saying the three magical words, "I love you". But is life really all rainbows and sunshine? After all, that is the vibe you will get from the premier episode. Or is there a storm brewing in the horizon?

Yes Episode 2 ended very dark, darker than the night. But if you bother to stop for a while and analyze things, things that happened before the despicable action, you will see that it is not just one event that led to commit such horror. From the home, where you should be the safest, to your school, where you spend most of your time, in the hope of finding your happiness in the person you love. Tragically, when jealousy, gossips/rumors and rejection come become a factor, no one can tell what a person affect by it will do next. Especially if that person have not experience that situation before one tends to ease the pain the best and easiest way he/she thinks can.

Episode 3. Just when you thought things couldn't get any darker or painful as Episode just felt some did a gut punch to you. As you progress the episode, you will realize that is it not only the bruises or swelling of the punch, but a bleeding cut that you didn't notice at first. You tried to put a bandage on it, only to be ripped away and pour alcohol on it. It is that painful. It will be a long time for me to get over the series of events happened in this show.

On the implied issue of "mental health", one can say that the both leads suffered a mental condition in one way or the other. As one expressed this condition outwards by inflicting harm to others, while the other is to himself. And without the right intervention, it clearly shows the very ugly side of it.

This show struck very near to my heart as I had a cousin who was raped that eventually bear a child, my nephew. And now, that nephew of mine is suffering from a mental condition that at a tender age of 11 is already taking medicines to control his behavior.

(Addendum, after watching Grey's Anatomy Season 16 Episode 5, when Dr. Jo Karev is in session with a therapist)
I found this written on the board:
CORE FEELINGS
10. Pride
11. Willing
12. Hopeful
13. Peaceful

You can see it the feelings that you can consider bad, affect someone negatively, destructive. On the other hand, you can identify the feeling that can build someone up. What if you are feeling more of the negative ones that the positive ones are seemingly drowned? Can you still live? When fear, anger, sadness, guilt, pain, pride, coupled with the lose of being safe, love, hope intensifies all at the same time, surely one will be broken down beyond repair.

ACTING
================
Unlike novels or something you read, where every action, reaction, expression can be told, when watching you are limited on how the actors convey certain emotion and image.

That is why I applaud OAT as KENG. His features will sway you to think that he is incapable of any such evil thing with his charming, innocent looks and unassuming behavior. As they say "Don't judge a book by its cover", could be more appropriate for him here. Is he really capable of a dispicable actions? Or events triggered the inner demon in him that he for eternity tried to keep it at bay or prisoned? HOWEVER, Oat could have shown more emotions when he is annoyed. When a character is the antagonist, and you feel disgusted with the character, this mean that the actor who played the role did a great job.

JAMES as SHIN - you can really see in his face the admiration to Keng without saying anything. And the time he felt betrayed, the pain resonates in his eyes. Opposite of a antagonist, when you feel the pain and happiness, then you know that the actor was able to deliver what is needed of him.

MUSIC
================
I like the piano accompaniment on the key scenes. It heightens the emotion. But it could have been better if a voice is heard as it can further the emotion of the listener.

REWATCH VALUE
================
This is way too traumatic that even myself would not dare to watch this again. Perhaps after a year or so, I will revisit this.

Starlight_Shan
Story: The story was serious, deep, and emotional, but it was so good. It raises awareness for topics that are still seen as Taboo in a lot of places. You have Keng, that on the outside was this serious, hardworking but kind student that tried to help anyone that needed it. But on the inside because of a lack of love from his parents, he became (for lack of better words) controlling and a little psychotic. Then you have Shin, who is this kind, sweet kid who always tries his hardest with everything he does. Then there’s Shins 2 best friends Bright and Pramote who stood up for Shin, and were just 2 amazing friends. I rated this a 9.5 because the story brings up serious issues that aren’t spoken about a lot. The only thing that could have made this show better is for it to be longer, and to have some kind of closure instead of it ending the way it did, on a cliffhanger.

Acting/Cast:
James (Shin)- He was lovable and sweet. He played a perfect Shin and had the audience loving his character and personality. This meant that when he got hurt, the audience was just as upset, wanting to comfort him, and hated Keng for hurting him. It takes a really good actor to play to the audiences emotions like that.
—Oat (Keng)- Again, it takes a really good actor to play to the audiences emotions like that. He made us like him in the first episode, but as we saw a change in his character, the audiences attitudes towards him changed with it. Then when he did what he did at the end of episode 2, we hated him deeply for hurting Shin. He’s such a powerful and believable actor. I hope to see him again in other dramas.
—Yacht (Bright)- The cool, fun and quirky side of him made the show much better. It’s even better when you know the personality of Bright and Yacht, are the same, which made him perfect for the role.
—Topicorn (Pramote)- Like Oat, I really do hope to see Topicorn in future dramas. He was really sweet, but loyal to his friends. Although he often seemed quite serious, you could tell he cared for Bright and Shin a lot.

Music: Good effects, and background sounds, but nothing that memorable.

Rewatch value: I think this is a show you only need to watch once or twice. I can’t see myself rewatching this for a while.

Overall: I gave it a 9, because although the casts were perfect, the show could have been longer, and I wish it had better opening music. Also, while I’m happy it stuck to the novel, I really wish the ending had been different. Other than that I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a short, but hard hitting drama to watch.

Royal Queen

This was heavy to watch....

Story: This is about the friendship between a senior and junior that turned sour. So this series is not for weak-hearted. There is no scope for romance in it. Shin is a first-year student, calm and introverted kind of guy. Keng is a senior, very handsome, famous in his university but feels pressurized by his parents.

Acting: First two episodes acting was awesome. Keng and Shin did their job perfectly. Side characters like pramote and bright were a perfect and supportive friend of Shin. The last episode acting was little out of place. The scene where Keng and shin were crying, I couldn't see any tears. Keng's friend Man did a spectacular job of expressing unrequited love. He brought creepiness in his style and nailed that character.

Music: Music was sad and slow adding more meaning to this genre. I don't understand lyrics yet it enhanced emotions every time it played on screen.

Rewatch: Its painful rewatch this series in my point of view. But that doesn't mean that it was bad.

Overall: Its definitely not a sweet sugary BL. This series is more like a reality that shows some mistakes can never be rectified. Its a must-watch if you are fine with the genre.

Dace
When I started watching these series, I knew that they won't be all lovey-dovey and that's what really pushed me to watch it. I'm a fan of series that aren't so fake to real life and let me think more about what actually does happen in the world. And these series shortly but surely did show a dark side of it.

Overall I would say that this is a good series to watch since a lot of people don't like the "real" stuff in BL world and that understandable cause it's a fantasy world where people come to run away from real-life problems, but this way it's easier to understand and see the real-life problems when you mix them with fantasy and make them visible. Also, the series is short so you don't have to "waste" a lot of time on it. One more thing that is shown that I liked a lot, is that this story doesn't have a 100% happy ending. We don't even know what really is the ending. It doesn't end with "oh let's forget everything that happened, I love you, you probably love me, let's just be together" and I stan. It would be a bit sick if it ended like that. It was realistic.

What I also liked, is that we weren't told if Shin actually did have romantic feelings for P'Keng (or if he was even gay) and we only knew about P'Keng's. Shin is this typical shy character who at the end has developed and it's visible. About P'Keng though...I could understand his part too. He's a broken person from the start and the blame lies heavily on parents. At first, you want to love him and then hate him with passion but you have to think about everything before judging him. He really did do an awful thing, that's true, but those were all the repressed feeling that had piled up in him that came out in one moment and they mixed and their effect wasn't the best. So, judge me all you want, but I do feel sorry for him that his situation made him the way he is. Also, he confuses love with obsession a lot.

Introvertgurlz81
First at all, sorry if I offend anyone but I wanted to say it. So I saw there should be 15 episodes but it changed into 3 episodes which is VERY disappointing but I suspect why it happened...people may complain and did not like how it happened in second episode which I understand because it may remind some of people who went through the rape and it's is a traumatic but I gotta remind, this is just TV show is not a reality. It is just a story about these couples and how they go from there. If it does remind them, I recommend not watching it any longer. Sorry if I offend to some people but books, movies, and TV are just to watch different of good or bad stories but feel free to say anything about it but why it stopped at 3 episodes? Again, I'm so disappointed with this show, so short. So I can't wait to watch another BL show! Cheers!

anchorenomore
This is a subjective review. It is my opinion on what I thought about this piece of work. You may agree or disagree with my opinion. I am not here to discourage anyone from watching anything, please follow your own instincts about what you would like to see.

Finally decided to watch the last episode. I was scared too after some of the warnings people were writing, but I was able to just suck it up (buttercup) and watch it. I'm glad I did.

If Rape, Bullying, Cyber-Bullying, gossip, rumors aren't your thing, then this drama isn't going to be on your list of must watch. This drama also deals with societal and family pressures (especially in Asian culture) I will say prepare yourself mentally to watch some scenes that might trigger something.

This was an emotional filled roller-coaster of a mini-drama. It was a bittersweet reality check that often doesn't get told in the BL world. Statistically, women and girls are abused and raped at an alarming rate, however, for men and boys those numbers are not a clear-cut because majority of them do not report their abuse and rape. The ramifications of such violence against a person, be a woman or a man, is so far reaching that it doesn't end just when the act is done, but the effects are felt for years. This drama touched on some of the traumas that victims go through, such as; shame; guilty, depressions, suicidal ideations; isolation, anxiety, PTSD etc. It also showed how some people still view rape as "business as usual" when Keng's parents believed that the offense could easily be fixed with money. Now, while some may frown upon Shin's acceptance of the money, I believe that him the victim, should get to decide how he wants to cope with his victimization.

Characters were well portrayed by the actors. The story itself was really good and I was pleasantly surprised when finally a heavy topic such as rape and assault was not glamorize or romanticized as a trope. It was handled very well. I felt despair for these characters.

I also loved that the directors and writers highlighted without putting in our face, what a healthy relationship could be...Pramote and Bright were the opposite of Shin and Keng. Though we didn't see their development, there were subtle hints that they cared for each other and Bright's personality and how he put Keng on notice about his sick behavior showed that Bright would always have Pramote's well-being in mind, unlike Keng. We get caught up with the violent and psychotic nature of Keng and Shin's story that we almost missed the point that there are healthy same sex relationships as well.

I really feel that this drama wrapped up what can happen with people in such situations in a realistic way. Though the ending is not what I had hoped for, not having clarity as to what happens is better than what the books this is based on tells us.

I don't see myself watching this again. Once is enough for me, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a good series...it was and that the actors and the team behind it really did their best to give us an in your face not glamorized series about topics that are often taboo or brushed under the rug.

Silente 08
“The Effect” definitely had a strong effect on me. It’s really impressive how they turned the cliche-situation of the beginning (very similar to average BL dramas like 2 Moons) upside down. Sadly, the production value was a bit underwhelming, I feel like they could have put a little more effort into that, especially when there’s only three episodes. But the storyline was very well-done and so true to the title!

Shin as a character seemed so real, it really hurt badly. They also did a good job in depicting the aggressor (Keng) as a victim in his own right, without downplaying his actions and thus leaving no space for the audience to sympathise up to the point of forgiving him. Maybe adding another episode to the series would have helped to make Keng’s development more realistic though, him cracking up in ep. 2 seemed rushed to me. The supporting cast was okay (didn’t see the sweet Pramote/Bright thing coming), Keng’s parents felt out of place though. I liked how in the course of ep. 3 one could see how little the people around understood how much of an effect their seemingly small actions and talks could have. Boy Sompob’s song was heartbreaking as always, the overall use of music was just meh. I honestly don’t know what exactly the ending is supposed to mean, but it doesn’t really matter imo.

I’m impressed.

Jj Smith

Thoughts about the series..

At the 1st ep. I admit that i have that hope that they will follow the light story in the novel and at 1st here I saw that these series contains 12eps or 8 if I'm not mistaken, and I am shocked that it end in just 3 episodes.. the transition of the series are so rushed and din't even highlight the love story of Bright and Pramote that may give a slight fluffy touch to the heavy story.. its kinda sad that the talent of the actors are not emphasized in the series there could me more within it but all of these are just my opinion but since its based on a novel I see that they just followed it.

Beebebale
When I heard about this show I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to handle it, but I eventually decided to give it a shot. I am very glad I did. There are definitely some very serious issues that this show addresses, but it's done in a way that, at least I was able to handle. I thought the show did a very good job dealing with these issues in a way that made you really want to watch the next episode. The acting was well done and the storyline was really good. I would recommend this show to others.
Yo0osammy
This show was alright, it wasn't anything special. Honestly, it would've been better if it was longer and more thoroughly but basically you're just watching a really long movie, with not a lot of context. It's a basic story, Shin is a freshman college student that admires the popular perfect senior, basic right? But Keng is from a strict background where he needs to succeed and he feels lonely until he meets Shin. Unfortunately with some events, things just go bad and are taken the wrong way, not the way it was supposed to go. It was also completely childish how they went with it. The friends were nice, Shin's family was nice, honestly it wasn't anything bad but it was nothing special all together. Like these things happen all the time, it's a really common thing and so it was a nice play on it but eh. It was good to watch though.

Alena Kerketta
First and foremost I would have to say, The story of this drama alone deserves an A+. It was a very heavy themed and an extremely serious topic, that needs to be seen but something that people would rather avoid talking. I gave the story 9.5 coz it deserves an applause. It has shown the terrible impact of social media, the cruel reality and how it 'Effects' the life of people involved. But i couldn't give it full score as the length of the series was too short. I wish they had more episodes and delved a bit more into Keng's personal trouble and what made him lose his mind, or the development of shin and Keng's relationship, or the development of Shin, Bright and Pramote's frdship (their frdship has to be the brightest point in the entire series), Bright and Pramote's relationship, Shin's ordeal and his recovery etc. I was really shocked to know there was only 3 episodes esp with a drama so intense. I really felt upset that such an "IMPORTANT" drama which delivers such an important message was ended so abruptly.

ACTING
Hands down, i loved the acting of Oat. Oat as this guy who is craving for true love and care (having been neglected by his parents and friends only using him for benefits), has gone off his rockers after misinterpreting Shin's good intentions, was very convincing. It is really tough to act out a character who isn't lovable and is the target for hatred. I absolutely respect Oat for braving this role.
James, Yatch and the actor playing Pramote(sorry i dunno his name, but he acted WOW) did a great job too. Esp James who as the victim of all this effect has very strongly and very convincingly showed the nightmare that he has to go through and rightly conveyed the horror of all this. N the frdship between these three boys was very heart warming. Yet again m very upset it was only 3 eps.

MUSIC
The music was right. The bacground score rightfully conveyed the creepiness of when the pictures were clicked, as well as during the budding frdship of Keng and shin, the sweet romantic score was beautiful. I like the music but at times it would be unreasonably high pitched and placed at wrong time.

REWATCH VALUE
Though, the story is amazing and the actor's acted brilliantly, unfortunately, such heavy themed drama u can't watch again and again. As it is pretty depressing and hard to digest. Though, if the drama had more episodes i might have

a -
I was looking at comments and reviews for this show and quite a lot of them were mixed. I was a little hesitant to watch it but I gave it a try anyway. Personally, I thought this show was actually really good. It was able to address a lot of taboo issues. Emotions were well portrayed by the actors and the music was perfectly matched with the scenes.

The series starts off very bright and optimistic, but later takes a dark turn in episode two. If you're looking for a romance BL, search somewhere else because this show is basically unrequited love gone wrong. Despite only being three episodes, I felt my heart literally ache so many times. Compared to other shows, I think it gives a rather good idea of what rape victims have to actually deal and struggle with. However, if you're uncomfortable with issues/scenes concerning rape, suicide, and self-harm, I would suggest avoiding this show.

I felt the ending was fine. I don't know why I saw comments saying they were surprised/shocked? It felt it was more of a question mark that was meant to be left alone.

All in all, there was a lot of substance in this series despite being only three episodes long. Would definitely recommend everyone to watch it. I wouldn't want this series to have a sequel, but I honestly wouldn't mind a show about Bright and Pramote :)