The Host (2006) poster

daughter_of_the_king
Jun 8, 2013
HIGHLY RECOMMEND WATCHING THIS MOVIE.
This movie is a masterpiece by the talented director Bong Joon-ho. The genre for this movie is a horror but this does not mean that it obeys every convention of a 'normal' horror movie.

Bong uses The Host to address the political relationship between America and South Korea. This movie is often seen as a very anti-America film BUT this is not what Bong intended. Bong does not paint the South Korean people featured within the film well either.

Bong addresses the issue of heroism in America; he addresses the Korean people's attachment to cellphones and technology; he addresses political relationships; family relationships; etc etc etc

This movie may NOT seem like a horror movie. It is but then it also is not. It is not a gruesome movie, it does not have much gore, and the moments of tension and anxiousness that the Host will inflict on the viewer is broken will moments of black humor. These inserts of humor is not to get 'cheap laughs' but to distance the viewer from what is being shown on screen. The humor that Bong uses makes the viewer remember that it is just a story, it is a movie and not real, then the viewer can watch and make a judgement on the relationships being shown on screen without leaving the theater jumpy and scared.

The monster within the Host was accidentally created by the American base dumping a toxic chemical into the Han River. This is very significant as a situation like this happened in reality. The American base's morgue dumped hundreds of liters of embalming fluid into the Han river in 2000. The Han river did become toxic because of this. (although some people claim that this is only a myth).
During the Host Bong addresses some of the political issues between South Korea and America that are present in reality.

This movie was so popular in South Korea that 20% of the total population of South Korea, even today, watched The Host at the cinema (this does not include people watching it more than one or home viewings). I highly recommend watching this movie as it is not only an enjoyable storyline but it gives insight into reality.

I live in New Zealand and in my University Cinema Studies course The Host was featured and analyzed. This movie is influential enough to have been recognized in such a small country as New Zealand. I high recommend watching this movie.
Also if you are put off by the genre Horror don't be, this is not a conventional horror movie, to the casual viewer it will seem more to be more like a Thriller than Horror. And if you are put off by my review please don't be. This movie is a great watch on the surface and very enjoyable to the casual viewer.

MonjaElisa
Dec 3, 2011
This is my first time ever watching such a movie, Honest truth I really wouldn't be into thee kinds of movies on my own. It's not the kind of a story I'd look upon my own. This movie aired here on Norwegian tv with subs so I decided to give it a go. This review will be written from my own point of view on the movie.

First to start it off. I can't say I was to impressed about the music shown in the movie. I didn't expect much upon it, Still it wasn't too much to brag about the music. I felt that some of the music was just there and might not really be to fitting upon the scenes it was added into.

The story progressed kinda as expected from having read the review. I felt that most of the movie went to revolve about the main girl. I liked the movie for its storyline and acting. The actors did a really good job upon acting out the different characters. The story basically revolves around Park Hyun Seo. A young girl who by a mistake gets taken away by a mutated monster from the sea upon her father making a mistake grabbing the wrong persons hand while trying to flee. By the time he notices it is already to late to go and get her back as the monster already is right behind her about to take her. Her father starts grieving as he believes he has lost his only daughter. Later that night upon being admitted to the hospital he recieves a call from his daughter saying she is stuck hiding in the sewers and that she is alive. An ask for help turns into a family mission as her entire family heads out to find Park Hyun Seo. And it doesn't make things easier that the korean society aswell as police officers are out to catch their family because of a possibly deadly virus they may have gotten. The story takes on unexpected twists and it will show you just how strong a family bond really is, Aswell as the bond between a father and a daughter.

The genres of the movie were, Comedy, Drama and Horror.

I can understand why they put in the comedy and drama genres, But in overall the story didn't justify as a horror movie. It didn't scare you nor make you especially uptight.

It was a really good movie, I gave it a steady 7. I would recommend people to see it. The story will have you watching all the way, Allthough the movie might start off as somehow boring, It won't turn out that way..

Will Park Hyun Seo be saved?

Megan
Oct 7, 2017
I feel like this is underrated. It's funny, it's incredibly well acted. The storyline doesn't lag. The CGI is actually really good considering when it was made. The character development is there. I didn't think i'd like it so I'm surprised to be writing this saying I liked it more than the movie Tunnel, which I watched right before this. I'd say if all that I said appeals to you, then you'd probably like it and go check it out. A monster movie isn't normally my deal but I like post-apolocyptics and that's why i turned this on.  I felt like it delivered.

PrashastSingh
Mar 18, 2018
I was quite curious to see this film for multiple reasons including the presence of Song Kang-ho. But after I watched it, I realized there's a lot more to love, appreciate and remember as well. Bong Joon-ho's efficient direction holds the film, and the visual effects impress, too. The film's worth watching on a Blu-ray for its decent cinematography, visuals and action scenes.

THE HOST is decently executed, and its not being excessively gory makes it an interesting watch for kids as well. They are bound to love it. The director's approach towards the film's genre is interesting and he binds action, emotions and thrills very well in the film. The screenplay is excellent, as the film doesn't take too long in setting up the story and characters. The editing too is a major plus.

Technically, it's one of the best South Korean films. From visual effects to action scenes: everything is executed and presented very well.

As far as the performances are concerned, every actor does a great job, but of course it's Song Kang-ho who takes the lead with his top notch performance.

THE HOST is undoubtedly an excellent and memorable action-horror flick which is a must watch for anyone who loves watching films.

Sr Kenpachi
A trama começa com dois cientistas em um laboratório de uma base militar dos Estados Unidos na Coréia do Sul. Um deles, o norte-americano, ordena ao seu subalterno que despeje uma substância tóxica que irá escoar até o rio Han. Obviamente, o tal líquido irá gerar um mutante, um poderoso monstro que irá aterrorizar as pessoas que usam o rio como local de diversão.

Perto do rio mora uma família que tem uma lanchonete. Nela reside um pai idoso (Hie-bong Byeon), seu filho meio abestalhado Gang-du (Kang-ho Song) e sua neta (Ah-sung Ko). Fazem parte da família o desempregado Nam-il (Hae-il Park) e a competidora de torneios de arco de flecha Nam-ju (Du-na Bae). Um belo dia de sol o monstro resolve aparecer. O ataque é frenético e mortífero em alguns momentos, porem no final, a pequena menina é levada pelo monstro. Ela é dada como morta, mas a família resolve se unir e partir em seu resgate. Ao mesmo tempo, o governo resolve isolar a área do rio. Eles acreditam que o bicho carrega um vírus letal.

A produção marcada por um humor irônico, que surge nas situações mais estapafúrdias possíveis. Um humor satírico, quase absurdo. O interessante é que o tom de comédia não desvia a sua atenção. Ele é inserido para relaxar o público nos momentos mais tensos.

Ao mesmo tempo, é também uma aventura dramática embasada com um forte comentário sociopolítico. Bong Joon-ho, junto com os co-roteiristas Baek Cheol-Hyeon e Hah Joon-Won, aproveitaram um incidente real que aconteceu em 2000 na Coréia do Sul para construir sua história.

O filme também faz críticas aos perigos da poluição e a desconfiança em relação aos governos, sejam ele americano ou coreano e suas repetitivas mentiras em situações como estas. Onde não existe vírus algum e eles tentam jogar em cima do Gang-du.

Bem, apesar do filme fazer críticas ambientais e governamentais fortes, toda relação da família de crença da família e o vínculo forte entre eles, infelizmente o filme não conseguiu me comover nem um pouco, não achei a trama maravilhosa e em alguns momentos tive vontade de parar de assistir, outra coisa que achei bem idiota era como os governos (EUA e coreano) eram incompetentes em lida com a situação, não houver sequer um combate entre o exercito e o monstro, UMA FAMÍLIA TEVE QUE RESOLVER O PROBLEMA, enfim, esses são os motivos da minha nota baixa.