Hide and Seek

Ellie
Jan 9, 2014
i waited a lot for the subs of this movie to be out so i can finally watch it. I was expecting so much and I’m happy that i waited for it. The story was good although it was all over the place .the writer built an awesome background for the main character and his brother and i was expecting to see more of it but suddenly everything turned out so different (believe me I’m trying my best not to spoil) and i was so confused ... still don’t know to call that genuineness of the writer or something else. The whole idea of the story didn't make sense .i mean how is possible that somebody else lives with you at your house and you don't even notice them and they decide to make your house for their own? Yet it’s so interesting that i was unable to pause the movie for a sec before finishing it. Son hyun joo was just perfect i don’t know how he did it but his acting was just so flawless that i got goose bumps. Moon jeong hee did a good job too. That ajuma was so creepy that now I’m afraid to open my closet lol. I guess the strongest point of this movie was the excellent cast because the story itself was not such a big thing. The other thing that impressed me was the perfect start of the movie. Those first minutes of suspense made me want to watch the whole thing at once.

Heenim382
Jan 11, 2014
You know how most thrillers have plenty of dull scenes where the suspense stops and you get kinda bored? This one doesn't have that. The suspense is kept from beginning to end, which makes it close to impossible to stop halfways. The acting is great and believable, and the story isn't obvious at all; more like the opposite. It's one of those stories where guessing the ending is close to impossible!

The downside to this movie, in my opinion, is that it kinda has two stories going at once and they don't tie together in the end. It leaves alot of questions and you end up feeling that alot of things just weren't explained. The twist feels more random than anything else. Yet because of the suspense and the great acting, I would recommend others to watch this movie.

PrettyCarEye
Jan 14, 2014
A relatively watchable thriller with elements of horror. Beginning sequences offer up good ‘edge of your seat’ suspense, but things start to fall apart soon thereafter.

The story is quite original in its premise and could have worked nicely in this genre had the plot not been so ill-conceived. There were too many plot holes & common sense failures. For the observant viewer an important, identifying detail about the villain is quite noticeable only a quarter way thru the movie, which makes the big reveal of who said villain is later on a rather anti-climactic experience.

Acting wise, I was disappointed. With a guy like Son Hyun Joo -- one of South Korea’s finest character actors and my motivation for watching this movie -- if all else fails, the acting shouldn’t. Just watch him in Golden Empire or Men Don’t Cry. The man is on fire. This should have been a GREAT role for him, but Hide & Seek squandered his formidable ability to deliver captivating performances. The writing is too shallow, the direction too elementary, to really make him shine.

His character actually reminded me of that annoying Hollywood chick who always falls or screams at the most critical moment, complicating the efforts of those trying to stay alive. I hate that stupid witch. What a crying shame Son’s character is reduced to the same dumbassery. I did a lot of eye rolling watching him maneuver his circumstances, esp when there was a fight scene. #smdh

Anyway, everyone else delivered okay according to what they had to work with, but really nothing about this thriller felt like it hit its mark, not the writing, not the direction and as a result, not the acting.

I’m giving Hide & Seek a 6. It’s watchable, just don't expect a masterpiece of any kind. You’ll have to suspend belief, if not check your brain at the door all together. But it’s entertaining enough.