My neighbour and his girlfriend highly recommended this to me today. I had previously read the plot (of the original) and didnt feel too excited about taking it up. It didnt seem to be in my niche. However, considering the strong recommendations and the fact it has sparked a remake, I will be taking it up. No spoilers please, or please at least give a heads up before you do so. And how many episodes are we expecting for this one?
I haven't watched this yet, but I did read some of the manga, which was pretty interesting. I managed to snag the autographs of Nakatani Toshi (producer), Han Keiko (voice of Mito), and Han Megumi (voice of Gon). I was really excited to meet them. Both mother and daughter were sweet and adorable, Nakatani Toshi was pretty chill. Didn't speak much. lol

So I saw the original version and I totally loved it and I also watched, I think, about 20 episodes of the remake and I love it too because actually the story is a little bit more fast moving. But don't misunderstand, the original version is not boring or dragging or anything, it's a really great show ;) Enjoy!
I watched the original and I am not so confident about starting this one mainly because the original was one of my favorites but maybe one day, I will pick this up. My brother, who watched the original with me and watched this one too told me that the 2011 is a fast forward remake of the old version, the characters development isn't that deep compared to the original one and the animation is different but he also said that this is the best remake he ever saw and that some events were changed. The nombre of episodes would be 90 or 100. 82 episodes are released so far.
I'm all caught up and am very impressed with it. I did not watch the original but I am very happy with the level of characterization. The animation is smooth and sufficiently intricate. The plot is convincing, well organized and themes delivered well. The music is strong too.
I watched the original + OVAs and caught up on the new version, and the manga. Simply its amazing. Lol you should give it a try! I fangirl over killua.. heh