I've made similar thread in the Japanese section. Now it's time to have a thread about all Chinese language film classics. It means productions from People's Republic of China, Taiwan, Hong Kong. Of course, most of the films are co-produced. So please share what you've seen lately, or you want to watch and don't be afraid to ask about any recommendations. I just started my journey with this cinema but I know there are people who knows a lot :)
I'm sorry Bruce Lee....my favourite Hong Kong movie has Gordon Liu :p

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin

First time I watched this film on cable channel in Hindi dub. I instantly fell in love with this film. Unlike other martial arts films, this film isn't about fighting...well watch it. It's not like Bruce Lee & Jackie Chan martial arts films. This is true martial arts film....I'm not saying Bruce Lee & Jackie Chan films are bad.
Keep on posting the classics here, I have yet to see the most!

Balzac and the little chinese seamstress
http://mydramalist.com/chinese-movie/3904/balzac-and-the-little-chinese-seamstress

I don't know if this movie can be called a classic or not, but it's one of the first few movies to move me. I was probably in 9th grade when I watched it and I can't remember most of it except that I loved it :)
I think for anyone Stephen Chow films are absolute classics. Any with him as the lead role or directed by Wong Jing are brilliant. The nonsensical comedy that Chow was famous for is well and truly deserved. It's a shame he rarely act now as he's moved into directing but his talent continues as his most recent film Conquering of the Demon broke box office sales and more. I'd recommend anything for the 1990s like Hail The Judge, Flirting Scholar, God Of Gamblers, All for the Winner and so on are my all time favourite movies.
My latest classic was "Farewell, My Concubine" - it really moved and made a hug fan of Leslie Cheung. This man was such a talent. I've seen him already in "Happy Together" but performance in "Farewell..." changed my mind. Well, in my world, as a classic we can also consider films which are not so popular and not very ambitious. The latest one which I've seen was labeled with Cat III "Awakening". That was pretty weird trip, seriously. Totally crazy and amusing. It also made me curious about Anthony Wong. I've seen him for the first time in "Infernal Affairs" and I missed his performance. In 90' he acted in so many "cheap" films, I'd call him my master of Cat III XD He starred in few because of the money. I have still few more to watch.
BlindedByTheShining wrote: My latest classic was "Farewell, My Concubine" - it really moved and made a hug fan of Leslie Cheung. This man was such a talent. I've seen him already in "Happy Together" but performance in "Farewell..." changed my mind.

Well, in my world, as a classic we can also consider films which are not so popular and not very ambitious. The latest one which I've seen was labeled with Cat III "Awakening". That was pretty weird trip, seriously. Totally crazy and amusing. It also made me curious about Anthony Wong. I've seen him for the first time in "Infernal Affairs" and I missed his performance. In 90' he acted in so many "cheap" films, I'd call him my master of Cat III XD He starred in few because of the money. I have still few more to watch.

Hahaha master of Cat III is now well known in mainstream cinema.
I know this but luckily for him, he has no problem with it. Just like anyone, he needed to earn some money (and I guess, he has now quite a lot, lol). And Cat III is pretty wide, Tony Leung has film in this category also - "Lust, Caution". And when I missed Wong's performance, well, I was pretty busy with Tony Leung and Andy Lau ;)
For me, Chinese/Hong Kong classics are all about: Bruce Lee, Gorden Liu, Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Stephen Chow and Jet Li who came afterwards. I am a Martial Arts freak though; I only pay a little attention to other HKC classics because I frankly don't care about them even if I saw few back in the days.
I have so many to watch, really but I can't stop myself from watching New Wave films or anything with my favourite actors who are not considered as a wuxia stars (but all of them at some stage, starred in such films or dramas anyway, I think). Chinese language cinema has so much to offer that I don't know where to start. I want to watch few films from Taiwan (most of them last for more than 2 hours), but of course, something is coming up and I can't check them out. Ehhh....
Sleepy... I started to watch "A City of Sadness" but I couldn't stop myself from watching "Nomad". It's film from 82' and I learned from it a bit about history of Japan. Film started random and then it was getting weirder and weirder.
My favorite are A Chinese Ghost Story (1987).
I want to watch even older classics, but I don't know what to watch or where to watch them.
I watched Wing Chun last month and absolutely loved it. :) It put me in the mood for Chinese and Taiwanese dramas again. hahaha

You can watch it for free on Terrarium TV app for PC. All the latest movies and TV shows are available for free on this application. Hope this helps.

my Chinese teacher suggested me those movies: Farewell my Concubine, Tiger and dragon, To live (1994), Please vote for me (2007), The last Emperor of China, Shaolin temple, and In The Mood Of Love (which is my favorite )

milswinan:

You can watch it for free on Terrarium TV app for PC. All the latest movies and TV shows are available for free on this application. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the share.
Download Nox