Do I choose an article here?

Wiam Najjar:

Do I choose an article here?

You can claim an idea here (or message me). :)

I'll respond to messages and send out drafts tonight, real life got really busy for a few days, sorry!

Regarding the big discussion earlier this week, we're kind of all in the same boat - and we've all already done the one thing you and I (and the other editors) can do, which is to ask for rule changes (repeatedly). Sorry!

devitto:

You can claim an idea here (or message me). :)

I'll respond to messages and send out drafts tonight, real life got really busy for a few days, sorry!

Regarding the big discussion earlier this week, we're kind of all in the same boat - and we've all already done the one thing you and I (and the other editors) can do, which is to ask for rule changes (repeatedly). Sorry!

Happy to have you back :)

Hope real life duties haven't been too harsh on you >.<

The admins are ignoring my post on the support forum, so I posted on the suggestions forum.

MDL should stop being homophobic and allow users to write articles about LGBT topics

If you think MDL should stop being homophobic, then please vote.

mjf314:

The admins are ignoring my post on the support forum, so I posted on the suggestions forum.

MDL should stop being homophobic and allow users to write articles about LGBT topics

If you think MDL should stop being homophobic, then please vote.

You should post about this suggestion in the feeds to get more attention. :)

Welcome back, devitto. :)

Hi devitto~

I've just submitted an article for review, titled Top 10 Anticipated Chinese Dramas, together with my co-authors :)

devitto:

Do you know which admin created the rule about not allowing LGBT articles? If we know which admin it was, maybe we can talk to the other admin about it.

Burcu:

Well if I'm not wrong LGBTQ articles writing isn't a new issue. Writers were talking about this issue in 2021 too and somewhere maybe one of the stuff or admin had replied that this site is for everyone. And everyone isn't comfortable with the LGBTQ articles. There are children like 13 years and above or under, so to respect everyone's perspective this decision was taken. 

If someone wants to add LGBTQ dramas or movies in an article they have to add them with straight dramas. 

To be honest I also used to feel annoyed but it's the best for everyone, just because someone doesn't support the idea of LGBTQ people, it doesn't mean they are homophobic. 

Burcu, hello.

Your response prompted me to look up the definition of homophobia and  the result is:

"dislike of or prejudice against gay people."

Then I went a bit further to look up the meaning of the word phobia and here is the result:

"an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something"

According to these definitions, the discomfort you speak of IS homophobia. And I get where you're coming from. The title of homophobia, just like being called racist is terrible. No-one wants to be thought of as this, but unfortunately, this is where we are.

Bringing up the issue of children assumes that children are not members of the LGBTQ  community and would not want to see themselves represented in dramas. Its a deeply problematic assumption and I have to disagree with you that this is best for everyone because what this is doing is pandering to homophobes and fear mongerers and its unfair. 2021 was three years ago and its surprising that in 2024, we are being asked to accept discrimination.

Burcu:
And everyone isn't comfortable with the LGBTQ articles. There are children like 13 years and above or under, so to respect everyone's perspective this decision was taken. 

Let's be real, please. First of all, literally every child today knows what LGBTQ+ means so seeing articles about it isn't going to do anything. Second of all, if someone isn't comfortable with LGBTQ+ related stuff, they're just flat-out homophobic and that's a fact.

Burcu:
just because someone doesn't support the idea of LGBTQ people, it doesn't mean they are homophobic.

Actually, that is exactly what homophobia is. You don't have to support the community, but not being comfortable with the idea of it is just like saying "get it away from me, I don't like it". Get what I'm tryna say?

Burcu:
And everyone isn't comfortable with the LGBTQ articles. There are children like 13 years and above or under, so to respect everyone's perspective this decision was taken. 

Let's be real, please. First of all, literally every child today knows what LGBTQ+ means so seeing articles about it isn't going to do anything. Second of all, if someone isn't comfortable with LGBTQ+ related stuff, they're just flat-out homophobic and that's a fact.

Burcu:
just because someone doesn't support the idea of LGBTQ people, it doesn't mean they are homophobic.

Actually, that is exactly what homophobia is. You don't have to support the community, but not being comfortable with the idea of it is just like saying "get it away from me, I don't like it". Get what I'm tryna say?

Burcu:

Where do you get the idea that I'm against it? I just said what I saw back in 2021. It's been 3 years now we still didn't get any changes. At that time I wanted to write an article on I told sunset about you and I couldn't do it because of the rules. I believe the admins has a valid reason behind it and that's why I said just because they don't allow it, it doesn't mean they are homophobic 

He wasn't saying that you are against it. 

The word ''you'' can be used in various contexts, in where it does not mean that it describes the person that is in the conversation.  It can describe any person, in general. 

Also, I personally do not understand why you think it is ''act of respect'' to have straight and LGBT topics in one article, when previously you said, that articles with LGBT content, might make someone uncomfortable. So, if the article has mixed topics, people won't be uncomfortable, because they can ignore the LGBT part and focus on straight part, or what did your statement mean? 

Burcu:

@Badass Bunny

Also, I personally do not understand why you think it is ''act of respect'' to have straight and LGBT topics in one article, when previously you said, that articles with LGBT content, might make someone uncomfortable. So, if the article has mixed topics, people won't be uncomfortable, because they can ignore the LGBT part and focus on straight part, or what did your statement mean? 

Dude these aren't my words. This was the response I and my co writer got from the stuff when I wanted to write the article. I was talking about the rules 

Sorry, but when in that statement, ''There are children like 13 years and above or under, so to respect everyone's perspective this decision was taken'' was it mentioned that this sentence was told to you by someone else? This sentence sounds as if it was your personal opinion or that somehow you know the reason why MDL works like this and has such policy for articles - that's the exact reason why I asked you the question, why you think it is an act of respect if articles have both straight and LGBT topics combined. 

Burcu:

Honestly it is heartbreaking that the rules still hasn't changed. People raised their voices back in 2021 too. But unfortunately nothing changed. 

If the rules are changed I also will be happy but at least we should respect the both parties. And I said about these because in the previous messages I have seen people being disrespectful to the admins and stuff. I just don't want that to happen again. 

You want the rules to change, but at the same time, you think people were being disrespectful when they called out admins to change the rules and not be homophobic? 

Burcu:

@badass bunny this is what my co writer had said to me that she got this reply from the editor when she asked why we can't write articles on LGBTQ dramas 

And I said, that you wrote it in a way that made me and maybe others misunderstand you.  

Burcu:

And how do you know they are homophobic? Just because of this. 

Honestly I feel triggered because I experienced horrible things. People had assumed that I'm homophobic because I refused to join a seminar related to LGBTQ community. And they had started bullying me without giving me a chance to explain myself. So that's why I feel that when the admins didn't even tell the reason themselves. Who are we to judge that if they are homophobic or not? I took this personally because of this reason. 

I admit the woke culture is truly toxic and I myself do not support everything that the community says, I am what you call a ''new age conservative'', but what reasons can you possibly have to have this kind of rule on the site? It is not only articles, keep this in mind. The front page, for example, has top airing shows, but not once it had LGBT show on the front page, even if by statistics it beat straight shows. What is this called?