I've already commented but I think many are missing it...there is an 'ending' so to speak, within the end credits. Without being spoilery,   IMO it makes sense of Ahn Joon-ho's actions in his final scene.

There's a reason it's set in 2014.

Hazing in SK military was international news at the time. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-28684964

Toot:

I've already commented but I think many are missing it...there is an 'ending' so to speak, within the end credits. Without being spoilery,   IMO it makes sense of Ahn Joon-ho's actions in his final scene.

Can you please elaborate? I did not understand why he ran? or stood still?

**Slightly SPOILER**

We know Joon Ho interviewed Seok Bong's friend Luffy, when trying to find him.  

I think: Joon Ho is standing still while he puts the pieces together in his mind and then runs to try to prevent what is about to happen...at the end of the credits.

jiha, did you watch what Luffy did at the end?

Seems I'm the only one so far who actually saw the ending credit scene here with you but omg i had no idea that happened in 2014! I honestly expected that Luffy would snap at some point but not like that...  

Hi, I have watched till the end credits where Luffy open fired the bullies. However, about Jun ho running, I don't think he is running away or trying to desert the army or anything as such  (like one of you have mentioned above).  Rather, I think he is still a  D.P soldier and was being summoned to catch a deserter (most probably Luffy). He was running worried because he knows firsthand how dangerous it could be to leave a mentally unbalanced deserter on his own.

I agree with you dushturain

so all the characters and all these events are based on REAL EVENTS??!!

like, was Jun Ho and the others in this drama based on real people?

Not exactly...

Like "Taxi",  it's a fictionalised version of stuff that actually happened.

The webtoon and script for the show, was written by Kim Bo-Tong after his own experience in the military and D.P. https://dp-dogs-day.fandom.com/wiki/D.P._Dog%27s_Day_(webtoon)

tbh, i think junho ran because he had enough--he just realized that after everything, no one gave a shit that seokbong killed himself. at the end, training continued and the soldiers weren't even allowed to feel "gloomy". 

the show itself is a commentary on the brutality of the military, so it makes sense that ultimately, the one who is supposed to bring back the deserters will desert. even the officer in charge was constantly worried that they would desert when they were out, knowing that deserting might be better than staying. imo, it was all foreshadowing his final decision. 

the "enemies" or the bad guys were always the bullies and not the deserters. once junho realized that bringing them back wouldn't change the brutal reality that the bullies would never be charged and that bystanders would continue to just watch, he couldn't figure out why he kept doing his job. i think the author's shows that being a deserter is not inherently bad and that in some ways, it's a brave act. so i don't think it's unreasonable to believe he would make the main character, the hero, become a deserter himself. i read that the show is based on the author's own experience in the military--maybe he had imagined deserting and lived out his fantasy through junho

Toot:

**Slightly SPOILER**

We know Joon Ho interviewed Seok Bong's friend Luffy, when trying to find him.  

I think: Joon Ho is standing still while he puts the pieces together in his mind and then runs to try to prevent what is about to happen...at the end of the credits.

Oooh so you think he ran to stop Luffy?  Maybe since it went to black what it seems to have happened didn't.  That's interesting and very plausible.  I hadn't thought of that but given his personality and ability to put things together, it makes perfect sense.  

I hadn't thought about that.  I wasn't sure where he was going, but I knew he was too smart to desert, especially in broad daylight in front of all those soldiers.  ^5 on that deduction!!  Good thinking!