No one gonna talk about Wang Juan adapting the wrong thing? He adapted Nami's Clima Tact for Oscar lol

OniBro:

Definitely. It's just that, a lot of the times, it feels like they just rolled over and didn't even try to include the source material at all. 

Yup.  And I'd argue it's worse than that.

What I find funny is that stans all assume criticism grows on the same tree. It never occurs to them that for some of us, it isn't the fact that the two adaptations fail to be similar that's unappealing--it's the fact that they fail to be successfully different. They all miss the point.

The source of my frustration is slightly different than most novel fans.  I actually wanted a departure from the novel in the drama adaptation. Namely, more insight into Shrek 7's characters; more development of the villains; more political intrigue between SH/Heaven Dou/Star Lou empires; and more history of the Douluo continent itself--i.e things I wanted more of in the novel.  And since that's where drama excels, I thought a live-action adaption could really bring something interesting to the table if the writing was carefully crafted, even if that necessitated new material. My main worries were the action sequences and CGI, but my expectations were so low I was ready to forgive anything.  In short, I was hyped.

But we didn't get that.  Like every other failed adaptation they concentrated on visuals and ignored everything important.  What was apparent after re-watching this from the beginning (and doing scene comparisons with the donghua) is that from a macro view, they're actually more similar than I initially realized.  And that makes it even worse.  They appropriated major character arcs/events, superimposed newly-invented dramatic bullshit, gutted source material that wasn't consistent with it (usually important details of the power system), and vainly tried to glue the pieces together with terribly executed "mystery" plots that threw subtlety out the window.  That being the case, I would have preferred they started with a fresh canvass and re-written the entire thing.

The Xuan Tian/Tang abilities are the most egregious example.  You know, the most important element of Douluo Dalu LOL.  The allegory between sins of the father and sins of the son [Tang Hao vs CS / Tang San vs. Inner Sect disciples]?  Gone.  The juxtaposition and merging of one world based in spirit power and the other on mechanical invention?  Nope.  The years of cultivating Xuan Tian prior to ep1, the nature/laws of those abilities, the sacrifices/methods of advancment, and their application in using hidden weapons?  Forget it.  Because DC Tang San can invent and forge seven Godly Zhuge Crossbows--which in DC are nothing more than stupid sleeve darts--the day before the Fiend battle.  All of which conveniently find their mark and turn the tide against Spirit Ancestors who were kicking their asses thirty seconds prior LOL.  And maybe I'm projecting, but the more I watch, the more I'm convinced this screenwriter regards the entire Xuan Tian element of the story as a childish gimmick. The air of levity and inappropriate comedy that always seems to worm its way into their scenes isn't just cringe worthy, it's downright insulting.  It makes the audience think, "if they don't regard it with any seriousness, why should we?"

And even the things this drama doesn't  fuck up are rendered sterile.  Someone here (can't remember who) brought up a great point earlier: because DC doesn't lay the informational and logical groundwork to support the narrative, even the scenes that should evoke apprehension, suspense, awe, etc, DON'T.  As mentioned, when the group was first confronted by Titled Douluos. In the donghua, I can still remember XW cowering behind a chair and the terrified look on Fatty's face as the potted plants around him dissolve in Dugu's poison cloud.  Then, as he dropped nine rings that spread the entire length of the room, you couldn't help but shit your pants.  Why? Because the donghua/novel properly laid the foundation for the audience to understand the enormous gap between them, why TD's are so rare, and what that title meant without even needing a demonstration of power!  Similarly, when Chrysanthemum appeared on their way to Spirit City for the CE Final tournament.  And this is just one small example among dozens ffs.

Ugghhh, I could rant on and on LOL...

OniBro:

No one gonna talk about Wang Juan adapting the wrong thing? He adapted Nami's Clima Tact for Oscar lol

XD 

I think I am about to develop PTSD. Every time I am about to achieve a state of happiness because Tang San is about to do something cool.... "Brother! I want to go with you! Brother!.... Brother!" DIE! DIE IN A FIRE!!!! Argh!! 

OniBro:
Then XG I think, noted that TS's grass being able to be taken as far as it has was already weird enough as throughout his studies many have tried and failed or at least weren't nearly up to par as TS's grass capabilities. As again, XG was pure theory until he met TS's martial soul. So, XG accredited some of TS's plant-evolution to being due to Ah Yin's martial soul, theorizing that it must've had base capabilities that no other grass had due to it not truly being BSG but a variant, Emperor/Empress, even though it was dormant.

I see. It is indeed make sense. Seems I forgot lots of detail in this novel, hahahaha.

Yeah I thought they were going to go heavier in on the hidden weapons but Tang San just used them once to defeat that one team that killed all their opponents and there hasn't been any more since? (finished ep 35) 

For something based on a power fantasy work it's weird how Tang San has barely powered up at all even tho we're 5 episodes from the finale. Has he done anything impressive? 

Shrimpy:

I think I am about to develop PTSD. Every time I am about to achieve a state of happiness because Tang San is about to do something cool.... "Brother! I want to go with you! Brother!.... Brother!" DIE! DIE IN A FIRE!!!! Argh!! 

LMAO

I don't even know how XW made it through the tournament arc alive.  I mean..was she just banking on the chance that no Spirit Douluos or Titled Douluos would be in attendance lol?  Because without the Yearning Heartbroken Red, she'd have been ferreted out pretty quick.  Or in typical XW fashion, was she betting on everyone stepping in to save her?  Maybe someone can explain the reasoning from the novel because I can't remember...

I loved it when she makes her appearance with Er&Da Ming, prior to the sacrifice, and says "Wu Hun Dian, now we settle things!"............then TS had to save her ass 40 seconds later lmao.  

Major:
I loved it when she makes her appearance with Er&Da Ming, prior to the sacrifice, and says "Wu Hun Dian, now we settle things!"............then TS had to save her ass 40 seconds later lmao.

I am annoyed with this scene. Because it is as if Xiao Wu just delivered herself to the Soul Hall. She overestimates her own ability. Acting strong in one second and then become damsel in distress in the next second.

Xien_Rue:

I am annoyed with this scene. Because it is as if Xiao Wu just delivered herself to the Soul Hall. She overestimates her own ability. Acting strong in one second and then become damsel in distress in the next second. 

IKR, when she said that I thought, oh cool she must have really leveled up.  Nope lol 🤦.

Major:

IKR, when she said that I thought, oh cool she must have really leveled up.  Nope lol 🤦.

Before leaving Tang San, Tang Hao said to her that it was not safe for a transformed soul beast to roam around before they reach level 60. Perhaps Xiao Wu takes it as: I will be strong enough to face my hunter by level 60 .........

Frankly I don't think TS thought that one through very well lol.  Joining up with the SH hunting party under a hidden identity nearly got him killed right from the start if not for HLN, and as I recall he didn't even know she was there.  I assumed instead that he'd try to find XW alone the night before, given his advanced BSG tracking/locating abilities (although I seem to recall he wasn't getting a single sign of her presence in that attempt) .  My guess too is that he wasn't prepared for Chrysanthemum and Ghost's fusion ability to be so effective on both Er and Da Ming. Minus that, yeah I agree the four of them could have crushed that SH party.   If he was aware of their ability, that'd mean he was banking on outrunning/killing the entire agility squad plus SH's golden gen. Which he nearly did but that kind of bet doesn't seem like TS.  At that point it was all shitty luck so his only option was a desperate escape, which made it all the more exciting. 

I'm starting to forget--wasn't all that right after the 5yr reunion?  If he hadn't gone he might have gotten to XW before SH LOL.

Just saw 32-33 and now I understand why even drama-only viewers were saying TS and crew were idiots. 

• Fight against the Fire Team and TS, the strategic genius that he is, decided to lock him and his team up in a cage, making themselves the center of an oven. If they wouldn't have lost due to oxygen loss, they would've lost to heat strokes. The irony of this horrendous writing is that TS is a blacksmith, HE KNOWS how fire and heat works. Plus, they literally traveled through a desert. This was the most forced loss I've ever seen. Just bad writing, literally the entire team traveled back in time before humanity even discovered fire for that loss to occur.
  • Fight against the Fire Team and TS and crew literally stood still letting themselves get surrounded. The Fire Team literally walked with no rush at all to surround them.
  • Also, can we talk about how literally every single fight the enemy just stands still waiting for TS and crew to do whatever they want. This has been a problem since the beginning of the series. Then they're surprised they lost. Then Wang Juan literally makes TS and crew do the same exact thing to force a loss. Seems like Wang Juan doesn't know how to write fights either, definitely not from a strategic mindset anyway. None of the fights make sense. Enemies are stuck literally just standing still stating what is happening on screen and acting surprised. No victory is earned and no sense of stakes are set because of just how dumb everyone is in battle.
  • The entire lesson of arrogance is lost due to just how dumb the fight played out.
  • I gave this a pass but now Shi Lan Ke is the only school using armor and gadgets. Why even call this a tournament for Soul Masters.
  • I had a hunch YZQ's power was gonna be that. Wang Juan stated that it wasn't poison, so the only conclusion that I could come up with to match the colors of green and black were disease and decay, like a walking plague. And I was right, YZQ is a lesser version of Shigaraki basically. There's also no way for it to be poison because we all know the only one who can fulfill that role is DB to make his character stand out.
  • Considering how rare Mutated Souls are in general, Wang Juan loves using it as a crutch to explain things. I swear we can make a drinking game out of it. I've had this problem since the beginning, ever since MHJ was apparently born with 2 Soul Rings. Which, btw, might as well make him a Soul Beast at that point. They could've explained it away by saying that his father sacrificed his rings to him or something like that, but they doubled down on the born with it.
  • Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, from previous episodes they literally have MHJ say he is illiterate WHILE he is flipping through a book just to create an artificial sense of trouble so that TS can arrive at the last second. Just cut that scene out entirely and say they were both asleep, wth??? Why even include it?
  • They were literally planning on having MHJ use his fire to burn TS's plant so that it could build fire resistance. That's totally how plants work Wang Juan. Then it turns out the plant is already immune due to the YY-Pool, so why even add the whole build fire immunity in the first place, it just makes the script look soooo dumb.

I'm forcing myself to watch this now..on my last puffs of smoke not sure if I'm even gonna make it.

OniBro:
Also, can we talk about how literally every single fight the enemy just stands still waiting for TS and crew to do whatever they want. This has been a problem since the beginning of the series. Then they're surprised they lost. Then Wang Juan literally makes TS and crew do the same exact thing to force a loss. Seems like Wang Juan doesn't know how to write fights either, definitely not from a strategic mindset anyway. None of the fights make sense. Enemies are stuck literally just standing still stating what is happening on screen and acting surprised. No victory is earned and no sense of stakes are set because of just how dumb everyone is in battle.

Thank God I thought I was the only one .  I almost fall out of my chair Lmao every time it happens.  *opponents looking around, feet glued, pondering life, just waiting for it...LOL .

I know right. This drama advertised itself mainly on its supposedly epic fights alongside its CGI. But the fights are literally just people standing still from both parties most of the time and chucking abilities at one another in one place. Then the whole thing where the enemy has to explain what our characters are doing TO them while they're getting beat due to standing still and explaining with surprised looks on their faces. Like, c'mon, inner-monologues are popularly used during strategic fights for a reason. Having both our characters AND our enemies state the obvious while the camera literally shows us as well is just too much. It makes the entire cast look so dumb and makes the supposed "fights" even dumber.  Plus, both parties love speaking their battle plans out loud during a fight for some reason and it's purely just because Wang Juan is treating the viewers like they're children. Just so much spoon feeding argggghhh...