Ok, so even crappy IPs like L.o.R.D. got trilogy movies made.  Too bad about Kris Wu, I dont think they ever gonna release part 3 of that.

Anyways, Soul Land is such a superior IP consistently ranking very high on Douban in every season of the donghua.  It only makes sense for Tencent to develop a cinema trilogy out of it to wash away the very bad taste left from the live action drama adaptation.

Im thinking the movies should be live action coz Tencent already did the CGI donghua series to perfection.  Movies like Wolf Warrior 2 only cost $30 millions to make.  Tencent has plenty of CGI/SFX artists from their studios to pull together for a side project to save costs.  Plus Tencent is a very rich company with lots of $$$ to spare.  They blew away $90 millions on the now defunct Golden Hairpin.  Imagine if all that money was spent on Soul Land IP ($30millions per movie in the trilogy), how many more smilin faces would Tencent welcome into their ecosystem (games movies dramas etc.)

It's only a smart thing to fully exploit an excellent IP such as this...

Another thing that struck me as odd, Tencent is such a huge company, but they dont care to put so much effort into movies shown in theaters.  If we look at the top 10 grossing movies in China, Tencent is not there.  Alibaba beat them to the punch with Hi Mom.  Even that studio that made Nezha got one of top spots.

I can see Tencent finally claiming one of the top 10 grossers (if we cheat and combine all the Soul Land trilogy movies together).  I can see this happenning coz the top 10 are mostly PG rated movies.  Soul Land is defnitely rated PG, but appeals to all ages.  It is a good way to work into the top 10 grossers with this IP...