Challenge #1 | Challenge #2 | Challenge #3

I recommend jenn to watch XX. I saw that you recently added this to your PTW list and also it's a web-drama (10 eps of 25 minutes) so it's easy to watch. The sismance there is amazing and it has many tropes that I hope you will like! (And it's one of my first dramas that I ever watched and loved!) Happy watching! (Let me know if you don't like it and I can choose something else.♡) 

Open for a rec! I would prefer something from my PTW list but don't let that limit you. :) 

I accept cdramaqueen's recommendation! ♡ I was planning to watch this drama when it was airing but then unfortunately never got to do it, but I've heard a lot of praise about it so I'm really looking forward to starting it soon! And you're right, I love bromance. 

Rating: 10/10 ⭐

It was SO GOOD. Definitely became one of my most favourite dramas released in 2023. I loved everything about it: the main trio and their relationships with each other, the cases, the great conspiracy... and even though it was a male-centered drama, the female characters were great too (Mian, my beloved <3). The ending broke me in the best way possible. 

Thank you, cdramaqueen, for the recommendation and enjoy the well deserved gold badge. 🫶

Challenge #1

I recommend Alex to watch Mysterious Lotus Casebook. I loved this drama and it happened to be on your PTW! I noticed that you really like bromances so I think you will really enjoy this! 

Open for recommendations (chinese dramas please)!

Rating: 7.5/10 

A Familiar Stranger is by far the best mini drama I have ever watched.  My main complaint would be that the male lead seemed bland and the plot was too simple. Other than that, I enjoyed this drama. I could not tell that it was a low production and all the shots were beautiful. The acting was really good too!

1st Challenge | 2nd Challenge | 3rd Challenge | 4th Challenge | 5th Challenge

I recommend cdramaqueen  to watch A Familiar Stranger, it's a c-drama and I enjoyed it a lot. I don't watch many c-dramas but thought this one was pretty good; plus I saw it on your PTW so thought this could encourage you to watch it. Also, its extremely short. Enjoy!

I accept ElBee's recommendation to watch Mr. Queen. I will admit I have heard great things but have not been intrigued by it at all. I was actually going over my PTW two days ago and was thinking of placing it on my "Not Interested." Now I have a reason to check it out.

Started:10/19/23
Finished: 10/20/23
[I loved it!! it honestly kept me intrigued the entire time and made me wonder why I haven't watched it sooner!! The bromance between the besties had me rolling from laughter. I was cracking up and even gasped at some events! Great drama!]
Rate: 9/10

7th challenge completed!

I recommend jenn watch Mr. Queen this round! It is a whole lot of fun with a bit of gender bending and doesn’t overlap with what you are watching now in themes, cast, etc, and the ratings you’ve given other titles make me think its story and acting might just suit your taste. It is historical, but it isn’t centered around politics. The lead actress is great at comedy (not everyone’s taste but plenty love her for it). I hope you like it!

Open for recs, and as always, my PTW list is a wreck… my completed scores are a better guide to what I liked on my first watching, but you can throw me in uncharted water, too, if it is water you think is worth jumping into! :) Anything but dubbing or shows over 24 hours long is fine! :) 

I accept jenn’s challenge to watch He’s Coming to Me. I had no clue it was in my list, but on my notes it said “2020 MDL Watch Challenge-Thai drama maybe” which proves I at least looked at it! I’ll blame pandemic brain for forgetting it. ☺️I thought sing was adorable, too, in The Gifted (Chimon was good, too, but not playing a sweet role), so time to adore some cute puppies on an adventure!

Rating/thoughts: If I were solely going off the story, this would get a higher score, but I gave it an 8.5 because the production was choppy/less smooth than it could easily have been, and some characters (ie Sing’s) seemed like props with little actual character clarity when all they needed to do was give better direction and write him with a clear description. The leads, while not perfect, were really charming (I’d never seen either, and I admit the fact that Singto reminds me of a Thai neighbor I grew up playing with all through middle and high school made me softhearted, his character bringing that out more😊). Thankfully, the second half of this was such an improvement over the first half (everyone seemed more settled in their characters and the leads felt natural together in the last few eps) I was sad it was ending. I also thought the goofy cemetery unexpected back and forth between the ghost and visitor was really hilarious. They let the ghost shine in a weird but wonderful way. 😂 

Thanks for bringing this to my attention since it had been 3.5 years since I even glanced at it! Great little story packed into 8 hours!

1st Challenge | 2nd Challenge | 3rd Challenge | 4th Challenge | 5th Challenge | 6th Challenge

I recommend ElBee to watch He's Coming to Me. I noticed you have not watched many Thailand dramas and I personally enjoyed this one a lot.  Who knows maybe you will dig deeper into Ohm P.'s work, he is a fantastic actor. This is one of his earlier works (I believe it was his second official main role in this type of series) but he still delivered. Here are all the episodes: Link 

I accept novastars rec.
Started: 11/10/23

rate a 7.5. 

I REALLY LIKED IT however, after episode 11 it seemed to be dragging out and then I kinda disliked how they made a part 2. I just wanted to finish it. it started off so strong but half way mark it just lost me. 

Challenge #1 |  Challenge#2 | Challenge#3 |Challenge #4Challenge#5|Challenge#6

Hey @jenn (again). I wanted to recommend Alchemy of Souls to you. It's one of my favorite dramas. The plot is unique, the characters are lovable , and it's extremally entertaining. I think you'll really like it!! Happy watching :)

I accept zen violets rec! 

Rating: 8/10

Comments: This comedy thriller was so good and I really liked the cast. It's hard for shows to balance comedy and murder and I think this show did it really well. Thanks for recommending!

CHALLENGE #1 | CHALLENGE #2CHALLENGE #3 | CHALLENGE #4 | CHALLENGE #5

I recommend novastar to watch Behind Your Touch (2023) cause I just finished it & I really recommend!

Accepted ElBee's recommendation to watch Someday or One Day

Rating ::  __/__

10th We Watch 2023 Award Ceremony
For the 10th We Watch 2023 Award Ceremony, we have a total of 11 badges to be awarded and 2 new entrants to the Hall of Fame!

Gold Badge

•   Elbee for recommending My Dearest which has been rated 10/10

Silver Badges
• 
  Saygo for recommending Imawa no Kuni no Alice which has been rated 9.5/10
•   Elbee for recommending Mr. Queen  which has been rated 9/10
•   jenn for recommending Hi Bye, Mama! which has been rated 9/10
•   Xiao Zi for recommending Sweet Home which has been rated 9/10
•   
novastar for recommending Reset which has been rated 9/10

Bronze Badges
•   
jenn for recommending He's Coming To Me which has been rated 8.5/10
•   
Alex for recommending XX which has been rated 8.5/10
•   
Xiao Zi for recommending Hidden Love which has been rated 8/10
•   
112 for recommending Danger Zone which has been rated 8/10
•   
zen violet for recommending Behind Your Touch which has been rated 8/10

Hall of Fame
10 Customised Badges
(no change)
Tanii  (6x Silver, 4x Bronze), Giuca  (1x Silver, 9x Bronze) 
7 Customised BadgesElbee (1x Gold, 4x Silver, 2x Bronze)
6 Customised Badges
(no change)
dearuto (2x Gold, 4x Bronze), Saygo (1x Gold, 2x Silver, 3x Bronze)
5 Customised Badgesnovastar (3x Silver, 2x Bronze)
4 Customised BadgesXiao Zi (2x Silver, 2x Bronze), Gummy_Marshmallow (1x Silver, 3x Bronze), moonchild (1x Silver, 3x Bronze),
3 Customised Badgesjenn (1x Silver. 2x Bronze)

This month, Tanii and Giuca continue to lead with the 10 Customised Badges they had collected up to September 2023. Elbee added one Silver Badge to tally of 7 Customised Badges, while novastar added one Silver Badge to tally of 5 Customised Badges. New Hall of Fame entrants are Xiao Zi with 4 Customised Badges and jenn with 3 Customised Badges. Heartiest Congratulations!

Gentle Reminder

1)  If you have accepted a challenge, do make it a point to watch and rate the drama recommended to you soon or latest by Dec 2023, so that your recommender can be duly awarded for a good drama recommended for the We Watch 2023 Challenge!

2)  Please refer to the updated challenge status table in page 1, and claim your badge by inserting the drama image in your prior post.

Updated on Oct 28th, 10.20am (UTC) for dark mode compatibility

8th Challenge  completed!

Hi, zen violet

I read your profile and dramalist and your interests and ratings make me think you might like the Taiwanese drama Someday or One DayIt has a pretty complex time loop set up, so you will probably want to be pretty focused/alert and definitely not mentally drained/sleepy when watching (if you want something that requires less mental energy/can be enjoyed when you are too tired to keep track of fairly intricate plot points occurring, I will be happy to find a less complicated story by all means… this one is pretty unique, though). It totals about 16 hours. I wouldn’t recommend watching sped up and definitely wouldn’t skip anything (it is already a bit easy to get lost if you get distracted😅). 

I hope you enjoy it!

Open for recs! Just nothing excessively long (24 hours is pretty safe) and no dubbing, and I am game for any genre, story to tell, etc! 😊

I accept disdoortion‘s challenge! I had forgotten about all three of those titles… since I rarely watch Chinese dramas, I’ll use A Murderous Affair in Horizon Tower for this challenge (and probably do the other two right after as well since my W-Th schedule only has one hour of drama time and I love Yoon Park an irrational amount and wanted to see other works Ryeoun is in). Thanks for reminding me of them! 

Feedback: This is a solid 9 for me! I wrote a very long post about it Here if you want to know my thoughts on it, but thanks for alerting me since I had long since tapped it as something to maybe watch someday then forgotten it almost as fast as I added it! The song at the end is still in my head… and made my cat sing every time after the first so… a lot… well, maybe complain at more than sing with the other cat singing when she wants to sleep (she doesn’t differentiate high pitched human singing and cats meowing/wailing).

(PS I also really enjoyed Fanletter, Please and gave it a 9, too! I am a bit stingy with 9-10* ratings… 2 home runs! 😊)

Challenge 1

Hello ElBee,

I went through your very impressive PTW list and found three short dramas/miniseries I have watched and enjoyed and because I'm unable to make choices I'll leave it to you: 

A Murderous Affair in Horizon Tower (Thriller, Mystery, Drama; approx. 11 hours)

Adult Trainee (Comedy, Romance, Youth; approx. 5 hours)

Fanletter, Please (Comedy, Romance; approx. 4 hours)

Open for recs, any genre or country as long as it's under 24 hours.

I accept dearuto's challenge. I'm not the hugest fan of time manipulation dramas nevertheless I've been looking forward to watching Reset so thank you for giving me a reason to finally do so :)

Status: Dropped (6/15) I actually don't know if I'm allowed to drop? I haven't seen anyone else do it, if I can't I'll finish the drama but for now I'll drop it. 

Thoughts: I'm really sorry dearuto but I don't think this drama is for me. As I mentioned before I don't really enjoy time manipulation and this sadly didn't change it for me. It felt boring to me, even with all the action, and I did not like the ML in the episodes I watched, he might get better but honestly I don't have the patience to find out.

I can see though why it's a highly rated drama. The production quality and the acting are really good and the premise seems interesting (if it's your cup of tea obviously).

8th challenge completed here!!

I recommend disdoortion to watch Reset! It's a thrilling drama that kept me on my toes, binged watched it in one shot *Q* I also saw that it's on your PTW so hopefully u will enjoy it!

Edit: Understand it's not easy to get into a drama if the genre isnt your cup of tea! 

I accept ColourMePurple 's challenge to watch Alchemy of Souls! my friends has been recommending me this fr the longest time but I havent had a chance to start on it heheh

Took me a while to get into this and finish it. Overall I'll rate it a 7/10 for me! Hong Sisters sure have a way with their storytelling 

Since we're approaching the end of the year I think I'll wrap up my We Watch challenge for 2023 here :) Thank you so much Wish Upon A Star for hosting and see everyone in 2024!

2nd challenge complete. Here for my 3rd challenge (ideally something that isn't too dark/heavy).

For @dearuto, I would really like to recommend Alchemy of Souls which is also in your PTW list. I enjoyed the world that was created, the comedy and trying to figure out the clues. So I hope you get the same excitement from watching it.

I accept @ElBee's challenge to watch Pegasus Market. Generally comedy can be a hit or miss with me. But the trailer seems nice so I will give it a chance. :D

At first I felt the comedy would be cringe with the first episode but it definitely grew on me. Though not the best comedy genre, it is absurd and had me laughing out in several episodes. A few jokes went above my head due to the language barrier. The ending was a bit predictable and there were other aspects that were a little unrealistic and unbelievable apart from the crazy successes. Overall, it was a good watch.

Will be wrapping up my participation here as I am not getting time to watch dramas at this time.

9th Challenge Complete!

For the lovely ColourMePurple, I  have gone far outside your usual fare and am challenging you to watch  Pegasus Market. It is wacky, and it can be watched as a straightforward silly comedy full of physical skits (reenacting iconic scenes like one from Flashdance is ambitious!) that has heart, too… or if your brain is in a more alert, focused mood, it has a lot of nuance, a lot of cleverness, and even social commentary built in. Occasionally, sentiment hit me and made me choke up because it was so unexpected!  (Hopefully the subtitles you find wherever it streams now are the same ones from when it was airing [or ones as good] because they were pretty amazing at translating wordplay that only makes sense in Korean&a few other Asian languages and finding the equivalent play in words/puns/humor-I’m sure *some* sites still have those, ahem). It is pretty quirky, and this kind of comedy definitely doesn’t make everyone the same degree of satisfied. If you are annoyed by silly humor or absurd scheming, I will recommend something else. Or you can descend into madness and rant at me lengthily (gently). I’ll take it. 🤭😂🥰

I hope you enjoy it! It is like nothing you are watching at the moment and doesn’t have any cast overlap which eliminated another option.

Open for recs! Anything up to 24 hours, no dubbing, my PTW a hazardous mess of randomly clicked things that I never checked back on after an initial announcement😅 (completed section shows how I liked shows when I originally watched them).

I accept 2.857e-7‘s challenge to watch Designated Survivor: 60 Days. I had to skip this because of time restraints when it was airing despite really liking much of the cast (then the pandemic made everything political or with high death counts a hard pass for a long time). I would probably have stayed til 2030 without this push. 😊

Rating: 8/10 This is solid with excellent performances throughout that showcase nice complexities to characters, be them consistencies or inconsistencies… it took 12 days to get through 16 episodes because it is pretty intense political content, possibly my least favorite sort, but it was worth the time even though it made my brain feel a little worn out if only from empathizing with the ML. 😅

For @Elbee I would recommend Designated Survivor: 60 Days. Its a political thriller with some interesting bunch of characters whose lives becomes entangled due to a terror attack.

Coming back for my last recommendation this year. :) Hope this challenge will have a comeback in 2024. I love it so much and want to be more active next year. :D 

@Wish Upon A Star Here's my edited comment with rating and short review of my completed recommendation "To The Moon and Back" 

https://mydramalist.com/discussions/forum-games/83729-we-watch-challenge-2023?pid=2684669&page=9#p2684669

I recommend 2. 857e-7 the drama "My Country: The New Age". It's a historical drama about two friends that find each other on different sides during war and power struggles. The cast is really good and I think you might like it. 

Alternatively I recommend Bloody Heart (also a great cast and does not have the genre romance). 

Open for recs that are not over 18 hours in total, preferably from my PTW so it's getting more spacious for all the dramas that will join it in 2024. xD 

Edit: I accept ElBee's recommendation for "One Day Off".  :)

Rating: 8.5 I liked the drama, especially the cinematography. The dialogues were not really my thing, I wished there was more philosophy and thought provoking dialogues.