So i was thinking, some of the most popular dramas are exceedingly sad (e.g. 1 Litre Of Tears). A vast majority of dramas contain at least one or two teary parts. Why do we keep subjecting ourselves to the trauma? lol

I think I like them because it gives me a place to cry freely. In real life, things happen and we try to be strong. We don't want our circumstances to get us down. We push all that back and concentrate on staying positive or just moving forward. But even people who do not allow themselves to cry in front of others or over real life things allow themselves to cry when they are all alone watching a drama.

Sometimes I don't even notice that I want to cry over something that's happened to me. I've pushed myself to keep moving forward for so long that sometimes I get caught up in it. I realized that when that happens I start crying over silly things in dramas that I wouldn't usually cry over, lol. But I like it, it's a way to release emotions I wouldn't normally :)

What about you?

Also, if you're interested in finding more tearjerkers to watch, check out this recommendation thread. Or this one here.
I like them for several reasons. I like to feel something when I watch a drama. I guess you could say I don't actively seek out sad endings or tearjerkers but when they happen it's fine. After a good cry I feel better. As if a weight has been lifted from my heart. Also I like them because usually there was something in the story I could relate to or that touched me in some way. Makes me feel I am not alone. Then when it's over I get to move on to something happy!
I find myself drawn to tearjerkers, haha. I dunno, sometimes I find myself bawling my eyes out over dramas. I think it's the same for me like you said "I think I like them because it gives me a place to cry freely." At least sometimes. I'm the type that once I start something and I really like it - I kind of fall into that story. Dramas like 1 Litre Of Tears I watched in a day and by the time I finished it I felt like I'd known her in a sense, and knowing that the drama was inspired by a true story made me cry even more. I guess tearjerkers like that get me thinking about life and the real world so I'm drawn to them, even if they make me cry a lot. Crying's not a bad thing really (:
Jeaniessi wrote: I like them for several reasons. I like to feel something when I watch a drama. I guess you could say I don't actively seek out sad endings or tearjerkers but when they happen it's fine. After a good cry I feel better. As if a weight has been lifted from my heart. Also I like them because usually there was something in the story I could relate to or that touched me in some way. Makes me feel I am not alone. Then when it's over I get to move on to something happy!

Same!!
Jeaniessi wrote: I like them for several reasons. I like to feel something when I watch a drama. I guess you could say I don't actively seek out sad endings or tearjerkers but when they happen it's fine. After a good cry I feel better. As if a weight has been lifted from my heart. Also I like them because usually there was something in the story I could relate to or that touched me in some way. Makes me feel I am not alone. Then when it's over I get to move on to something happy!

Crazy4You wrote: I find myself drawn to tearjerkers, haha. I dunno, sometimes I find myself bawling my eyes out over dramas. I think it's the same for me like you said "I think I like them because it gives me a place to cry freely." At least sometimes. I'm the type that once I start something and I really like it - I kind of fall into that story. Dramas like 1 Litre Of Tears I watched in a day and by the time I finished it I felt like I'd known her in a sense, and knowing that the drama was inspired by a true story made me cry even more. I guess tearjerkers like that get me thinking about life and the real world so I'm drawn to them, even if they make me cry a lot. Crying's not a bad thing really (:

I feel the same way! I think that in a sad drama you get to know the character a lot more thn in a comedy because you can actually feel his or her pain and insecurities and relate to them.
I steel prefer to watch comedy but every once in a while a tearjerker is a good change :)
beca256 wrote: I feel the same way! I think that in a sad drama you get to know the character a lot more thn in a comedy because you can actually feel his or her pain and insecurities and relate to them.
I steel prefer to watch comedy but every once in a while a tearjerker is a good change :)

Agreed! You feel more drawn to the characters themselves.
Haha I still prefer comedy as well but I like watching tearjerkers for a change of pace, too (: Although there are dramas I watch that'll turn around and have a sad ending or make me cry :/ Haha.
Crazy4You wrote: Agreed! You feel more drawn to the characters themselves.
Haha I still prefer comedy as well but I like watching tearjerkers for a change of pace, too (: Although there are dramas I watch that'll turn around and have a sad ending or make me cry :/ Haha.

Yeah that happens to me too, when I start watching a drama and then it turns out it has a sad ending. I generally don't like those u.u
beca256 wrote: Yeah that happens to me too, when I start watching a drama and then it turns out it has a sad ending. I generally don't like those u.u

I don't mind them if the story was done well or I thought it still ended well haha.
i am not really good at watching sad endings or really sad dramas >_< .. it took me months to find courage so that i can watch the snow queen .. and when i did :) it was worth the watch ... i still cant bring myself to watch Shinning inheritance.. there are a lot of people who say it is a very sad drama ... I need to be in a mood to watch certain genres :P ... i usually find it easy to watch rom com dramas but i cant wake up in the morning and decide today i will watch an action , mystery or sad drama >_< ... when i am watching a drama , if there are tearjerkers scenes then i handle them .. i like the way some characters, scenes and situations touch me :) i suck at sad endings cuz i will be really sad for days .. i try to avoid it but sometimes there are stories worth knowing .. and watching ... i think i just Blabbered a lot of things ... "hides
Hmmm, I don't think I have watched any "tearjerkers" but I have watched plenty of drama's with sad parts or tragedy or sad endings that have made me cry... I think the reason is because, I am so engrossed in what is going on in the drama, that I can actually see myself in that situation. My husband laughs at me when I cry with/over a drama because it is just a drama in his eyes, and I also make him hold me until I am done crying. I also agree with, there are some of us, who refuse to cry in real life because we have had to be strong and just push forward, me for example, the last time that I truly lost it in tears, outside of drama's, was almost 7 years ago when my father died, but then I was told I couldn't cry because I had to be strong cause I had him longer (long story and i am still sore over it). But when you are the oldest child in a family you do become a "pillar" and tears just aren't allowed. I like sad endings sometimes because they let me cry.
Thank you for all your responses. It's nice to see that I'm not alone in how I feel. It's also interesting to see everyone else's opinions :) Even though I mentioned 1 L of Tears, I've never actually watched it because I can't get in the right mood (someone else mentioned this in their post). I've heard that it's so depressing, I'm not sure I can handle it.
Kawaikochan wrote: 1 L of Tears, I've never actually watched it because I can't get in the right mood (someone else mentioned this in their post). I've heard that it's so depressing, I'm not sure I can handle it.

I'm the same
I havent watched many tearjerkers. i would like to though. I usually stick to my romantic comedies.
Not only does the story and the raw emotions in it draw me in, I find it helps me to release any pent up sorrow that I have inside. Despite being a huge crybaby I hate crying, especially in front of people and try to force myself to get angry instead. But after a while, you just need to let it out. So, I watch a tear-jerker and cry like a baby.
The last tearjerker i watched was the Japanese film "Yuki" which was highly recommended by a friend of mine. I made the mistake of watching it during a break in between my classes in the student lounge. That movie made me cry so hard.