xinya:

Thank you to everyone who has submitted recommendations! I think I've added everything that has been submitted thus far, but we can keep adding as long as there are more movies people want to share!

If you're interested, you can pursue the first 29 entries here: https://mydramalist.com/list/LAlEQbw1

Thank you so much for putting them all in a list!!

kYuBin:

@WandereR For "The Battleship Island", to be more accurate in the blurb, they are Korean, not Japanese prisoners, and not prisoners of war as there are women and children, but forced labour people.

Hi kYuBin.

Just to clarify, in my sentence I mentioned "Japanese prisoners of war" meaning that they are prisoners of the Japanese, not that the prisoners themselves are Japanese i.e. they were captured by the Japanese and not other countries. 

Perhaps I should've mentioned, "Japanese prisoners of war who were Koreans" instead to avoid the confusion.

Of course it doesn't make sense for Japanese to capture Japanese as prisoners of war (unless they were sympathizers or spies) but point taken on the semantics. For the women and kids, I guess because they were at war, all Koreans were considered enemies of the state but I  understand your point because they are not combatants per se :) 

Feel free to edit the blurb, admin. Appreciate your kind assistance on this :D

WandereR:

Hi kYuBin.

Just to clarify, in my sentence I mentioned "Japanese prisoners of war" meaning that they are prisoners of the Japanese, not that the prisoners themselves are Japanese i.e. they were captured by the Japanese and not other countries. 

Perhaps I should've mentioned, "Japanese prisoners of war who were Koreans" instead to avoid the confusion.

Of course it doesn't make sense for Japanese to capture Japanese as prisoners of war (unless they were sympathizers or spies) but point taken on the semantics. For the women and kids, I guess because they were at war, all Koreans were considered enemies of the state but I  understand your point because they are not combatants per se :) 

Feel free to edit the blurb, admin. Appreciate your kind assistance on this :D

Yes I understood the meaning of your sentence actually, but I though it wasn't clear that way for people not really knowing the story.

However, they weren't prisoners of war because Japan and Korea were not at war against each other in 1945. Since 1910 the Korean Empire was annexed by Imperial Japan and Korea became a protectorate, that's why the people represented in the movie are forced labour people and not prisoners of war.

Ok, I stand corrected. Thank you for the history lesson.

xinya:
I don’t think this is quite accurate. The Gwangju Massacre was in 1980. 1987 is about the fallout of student Park Jong Cheol being tortured to death by the authorities.

Oh! You are totally right! Sorry my memory is not the greatest. 

1987: When the Day Comes - During the turbulent period preceding democratization, a student suddenly turns up dead. In an attempt to keep his death low profile, people attempt to cremate the body without anyone seeing it, but this only manages to draw national attention to the mysterious case.

Wow, never know there is a HDC Profile! All future Hall of Fame could be hosted by the HDC Profile so that members or whoever is interested can easily find HDC Hall of Fame.

I just perused the posts from the first 50 pages of this forum and found a treasure trove of info within the posts. i especially like links to Dramas on Historical Time Table and Articles and useful sharing via the Forum on aspects of Historical Dramas (such as on Chinese Historical Fashion by WandereR (page 4 of forum) and Clothing similarities between Ming and Joseon officials by xinya (page 19 of forum).

I think leveraging on the HDC Profile and some reorganisation of the contents in this forum can help to provide easy access to members and MDL users to the diverse rich contents shared in this forum. For example:

1. HDC Profile: Include HDC Profile in the welcome post (on page 1 of this forum) for easy access.
  2. Lists under HDC Profile: Borrowing xinya's idea, create some common but useful lists under HDC Profile for:
    1. MDL Most Popular Historical Dramas (i.e. duplicate from Estelll's club post in a list format)
    2. MDL Top Rated Historical Dramas (i.e. duplicate from Estelll's club post in a list format)
    3. MDL Currently Airing Dramas (i.e. duplicate from Estelll's club post in a list format)
    4. Recommendations to older historical dramas and perhaps also less known dramas from Asian countries other than Korean and Chinese (there are a few recommendations already in the earlier posts in this forum which can be compiled into the list(s) (e.g. page 21 by Estelll, page 22 by WandereR etc)
    5. Historical dramas with nice OSTs (some discussions in page 15-17) 
    6. Historical dramas by genres (e.g, Wuxia, Xianxia, Xuanhuan, Imperial etc) and common tropes (e.g. arranged marriage (page 18, page 42), funny (page 20-21), for beginners, etc
  3. Banners and Badges: Consider adding one banner to the inaugural post, with link to the post on banners and badges post, and moving the post on banners and badges to the last post after the prior contents, as the posts for the banners and badges are very looong and takes a while to scroll.
  4. “HDC Presents” Articles: Rekindling “HDC Presents” articles (page 7 of forum) co-written by HDC members discussing historical dramas and movies? I think this is a good idea for collective wisdom and efforts to spark more discussions on historical dramas and movies :)
  5. Links to informative forum posts (before the banners and badges post): Create links in first intro pages to discussions within the forum on Thai dramas, Japanese dramas etc which are less common (e.g. Thai: Page 17-18), and also historical fashion (page 4 and 9) :)

HDC Watch Challenge: Has there been a HDC Watch Challenge 2022 already? If not, perhaps a small team can discuss and create a HDC Watch Challenge 2022 (as a separate forum topic, and with link from this forum and HDC Profile) hosted by HDC Profile for the members??  E.g. Watch a historical-historical from China/HK, Japan, Thai etc, watch a wuxia, a xianxia, a xuan huan etc, watch a historical drama from 1990s, from 2000s, from 2010s, from 2020s etc So yearly, there is the Hall of Fame and a Watch Challenge? Some references:

Monthly Discussion Topics: I thought it may be worthwhile to revisit the “Monthly/quarterly historical appreciation post day” suggested by Kalypso and Pot-Pourri Haru (page 44-45), like introducing a topic for discussion via this HDC forum for each month? Topics could be a main character, actor, second lead, scenery, release year etc on rotation with schedule in the HDC profile? Again a small team can discuss and work out a schedule for the topics e.g. July for a topic starting with J, August for a topic starting with A (e.g. Antagonists/villains in Historical Dramas that are Memorable (?) – note that there is an Antagonists/Villains Appreciation Club (AVAC)).

Weekly Topics: Maybe can also have weekly topics similar to the Forum Game “10 dramas/movies with ___?”. We can have like “Historical dramas/movies with ____”. This can be random for anyone to post topics and everyone to discuss the topics??

Comments???

If keen, I can help set up feeds for discussion and “voting” of options for HDC Watch Challenge and Monthly Discussion Topics :)

p/s: I likely wont be taking part in the Watch Challenge as I know from the pace that I watch dramas, I will fail badly.

I'm keeping track of everyone's ideas, and am hoping to build on the HDC watch challenge.   Dealing with all the information gets tedious in a forum format, so I'm thinking of a google doc or cloud-drive document that everyone can see (open access so that people from all over the world can access it). 

Once the ideas are all recorded, then we can call for volunteers to manage next year's list, AND the HDC Movie Hall of Fame. 

What do you fine people think? 

Wish Upon A Star:
All future Hall of Fame could be hosted by the HDC Profile so that members or whoever is interested can easily find HDC Hall of Fame.

Yeah, I would have suggested that had I been around at the time Nienna started it, but I was away from MDL for a while. Estelll also has the login info, and I can share it with a few other members as needed.

Wish Upon A Star:
Recommendations to older historical dramas and perhaps also less known dramas from Asian countries other than Korean and Chinese (there are a few recommendations already in the earlier posts in this forum which can be compiled into the list(s) (e.g. page 21 by Estelll, page 22 by WandereR etc)
Historical dramas with nice OSTs (some discussions in page 15-17)
Historical dramas by genres (e.g, Wuxia, Xianxia, Xuanhuan, Imperial etc) and common tropes (e.g. arranged marriage (page 18, page 42), funny (page 20-21), for beginners, etc

I really like the idea of curating some lists by different niches or subgenera!

I like a lot of these ideas. I think maybe we need some club committees. We could have different groups of members in charge of organizing/working on different things. Like a Lists Committee, a HDC Watch Challenge Committee, a Monthly Discussion Topic Committee, etc.

excellent idea! 

fiflydramalover:
Oh! You are totally right! Sorry my memory is not the greatest. 

1987: When the Day Comes - During the turbulent period preceding democratization, a student suddenly turns up dead. In an attempt to keep his death low profile, people attempt to cremate the body without anyone seeing it, but this only manages to draw national attention to the mysterious case.

I've added the new description!

@kYuBin @WandereR

I changed the description to "Korean forced laborers." Is that ok?

xinya:

@kYuBin @WandereR

I changed the description to "Korean forced laborers." Is that ok?

Yup, I believe that will please everyone and be 100% factually accurate.

Thanks a bunch, xinya! :)

I always love seeing the traditional clothing/styling/costumes. So I’m not sure if it would be a great addition but what about a Hall of Fame for memorable Historical Drama costumes and accessories (like umbrellas/weapons/hats etc? 

Rien:

I always love seeing the traditional clothing/styling/costumes. So I’m not sure if it would be a great addition but what about a Hall of Fame for memorable Historical Drama costumes and accessories (like umbrellas/weapons/hats etc? 

Costumes are part of what makes a movie/drama good, especially historicals, so it might be very similar to the ones we already have, but that's an interesting idea. ;)

@xinya @WandereR Yes perfect, thank you !

@Wish Upon A Star Love the ideas, especially using the HDC profile for many custom lists regarding historical dramas and movies. I'm personally not into watch challenges but it might be interesting for a lot of members and others too.

The Feeds can help us in brainstorming for suggestions - Started one on Monthly Discussion Topics here to try out. Do feel free to help to host feeds on other ideas that you are keen to drive :)