Sam:

Actually I feel like paying for Wetv is better than paying for Iqiyi ....1st Iqiyi is almost 5 times expensive and 2nd shows on wetv especially Historicals are better although I also have subscription in both places

I think that depends on the country of residence.

In my own country (in Europe), WeTV is the most expensive. Last I checked, it was $5.99 for a monthly VIP subscription. iQIYI is $3.99 a month, while VIKI Basic is only $2.99, with VIKI Standard being $4.99.

To compare, Netflix Standard is about $13 (thankfully, we share that cost in my own family)!!

Also, there's the factor that on WeTV (Tencent International) you can already watch 1080p content for free without paying anything, while on iQIYI International you can only access 1080p with a subscription, plus they have a much bigger catalogue of dramas with English subs (even if many of them are machine translated, especially the older ones). While in VIKI you can only watch HD (in the shows that have it) with a subscription (Basic or better).

So I've made the choice, for now, to pay a subscription on 2 out of 3 (Viki and iQIYI).

Really that's quite expensive ...for me here 

All in USD (converted for better understanding)

Netflix - $11 but divided by 4 so $ 2.75

Viki - $0.89 (basic) & $4.4  ( standard)

Wetv - $1.09

Iqiyi - $4.13 (standard) & $6.19(premium) 

In total I spent $ 8.86 for all of this ... because I hate ads

That's the thing with C-drama platforms.  Everything depends on the geo-location because of licensing issues.

Regarding the VIP system (iQiyi, WeTV, MGTV and Youku), all VIP subscribers get additional 6 episodes in advance.  For subscribers in China, they have the further option of the VVIP where they get more episodes in advance and/ or other perks like the final 10 episodes (or so) get released immediately.  The timing delay between international and China platforms is usually due to the subbing process.

Few other things to take note of would be that not all dramas are treated equally. Dramas that are popular or highly anticipated, featuring popular or famous cast, or generally well-accepted genres (eg rom-coms, certain historicals) would get released faster and with subs.  If you noticed, obscure productions or generally Republican-era dramas either get delayed or not released internationally or subbed at all.

Regarding the different platforms, iQiyi and WeTV provide subbing services while MGTV (Mango TV) provides very limited shows with subs where sometimes those subs are machine subs.  Youku also has the same problem.  However I noticed lately, since many anticipated dramas are distributed by MGTV and Youku, the subbing situation has improved either via independent mainstream subbers (YoYo Channel, Viki) or the international channels of those platforms (Youku YouTube channel). This is the case currently with Word of Honor, Storm Eye and Rattan, just to name a few.  The speed of subbing and release has improved markedly as well, probably due to the popularity of the dramas.

Yes in recent years ...there have been some fan subbers too...productive procrastinator , carmonengsub and mellifluous sub

Sam:

Yes in recent years ...there have been some fan subbers too...productive procrastinator , carmonengsub and mellifluous sub

Yup, those guys are heroes!

I remember watching L&R while it was airing.  The entire community watching it (in the comments board) were like waiting in unison for PP to sub and another user converting machine-sub SRT files for everyone!  It was fun, thrillng and excruciating at the same time waiting for the  subs for the last 15 or so episodes lol 

Few months later, L&R is now available on Netflix!  But the experience of waiting together with everyone and discussing the show is priceless :D

WandereR:

I remember watching L&R while it was airing.  The entire community watching it (in the comments board) were like waiting in unison for PP to sub and another user converting machine-sub SRT files for everyone!  It was fun, thrillng and excruciating at the same time waiting for the  subs for the last 15 or so episodes lol 

Few months later, L&R is now available on Netflix!  But the experience of waiting together with everyone and discussing the show is priceless :D

Yep those days were really good ... every day waiting for new episodes ...cursing Hao Chen together lol...me fanboying over how cute is Xuan Ji ....and every one falling for our Si Feng....PP coming to our rescue ...plus those notes of her explaining things in depth and sometimes warning that how the episode is going to be and when will the good part start were so much good

Sam:

Yep those days were really good ... every day waiting for new episodes ...cursing Hao Chen together lol...me fanboying over how cute is Xuan Ji ....and every one falling for our Si Feng....PP coming to our rescue ...plus those notes of her explaining things in depth and sometimes warning that how the episode is going to be and when will the good part start were so much good

I miss those days :`(

That's what makes MDL so special.  No negativity or toxic fandom, everyone just having fun and sharing the positivity.  I remember that infamous stretch of ep 40 - ep 50 where everyone suffered together with Si Feng lol

WandereR:

Yeap I remember a similar experience while watching The Untamed when it was airing -- we were all waiting for VIKI volunteers' subs though, I think. The experience was indeed priceless!!! ^_^

Unfortunately, nowadays this is difficult to be done in most drama pages comment sections, 'cause for some reason nobody cares to hide (major!) spoilers in there anymore (not to mention some unrelated drama & ridiculous fights happening from time to time), so I tend to avoid them now... :/

Estelll:

Yeap I remember a similar experience while watching The Untamed when it was airing -- we were all waiting for VIKI volunteers' subs though, I think. The experience was indeed priceless!!! ^_^

Unfortunately, nowadays this is difficult to be done in most drama pages comment sections, 'cause for some reason nobody cares to hide (major!) spoilers in there anymore (not to mention some unrelated drama & ridiculous fights happening from time to time), so I tend to avoid them now... :/

Yes, that's very true.  These days I'm scared to spend too much time in the comments section.  Either I get attacked or spoiled  :(

It's much safer here in our club forum and Friends Feeds :P

I'm going to try to make a banner for myself, here is my work in progress (not sure about background and if I want to use a film grain filter or a painter filter like you see on left):

So many great banners and your work in progress @Knavery looks already good. Looking forward to the final result. :)

Estelll:

Agree. The last time I checked The Untamed comment section I was taken aback by the toxic atmosphere the haters created. A very similar vibe is when you get into a comment section like that from The King: Eternal Monarch. There is a fight going on between those who dislike the drama and those who cannot accept someone disliking their favorite drama.  

Many of the fans attack and insult people who do not worship/like the drama. 

I'm not saying a drama is good, when it's full of plot holes and advertisement no matter how often someone says I was just too stupid to understand the math in the drama. :P 

Estelll:
Also, there's the factor that on WeTV (Tencent International) you can already watch 1080p content for free without paying anything

I like to watch dramas on the offiicial Youtube channels of WeTV and the others. 

My problem with streaming is that I'm not comfortable with the fact that I pay for a subscription yet have no control over the content the streaming service provides. Worst case would be if I'm watching a drama and then the streaming removes it from their content. I'm old-fashioned when it comes to this, because I compare it to DVDs still. Like when I purchase a DVD I can watch it whenever I want and as often as I'd like, streaming simply does not give me the same rights even though I also pay (a lot, I'm European as well) for them and that bothers me. 

Let me ask...does anyone has a list of Historical dramas that is not placed in a palace ...where the leads are not fighting to sit on throne ... where leads are some normal officials ...I have realised that I somewhat like non palace drama more than palace one

Sam:

Let me ask...does anyone has a list of Historical dramas that is not placed in a palace ...where the leads are not fighting to sit on throne ... where leads are some normal officials ...I have realised that I somewhat like non palace drama more than palace one

Technically Beneath the Brocade doesn't take place in a palace. They are law enforcement. 

funnypeopleswim:

Technically Beneath the Brocade doesn't take place in a palace. They are law enforcement. 

Well there are many dramas like that ...The story of Ming Lan is best among them

funnypeopleswim:

You're referring to Under the Power, right?  For a moment there I thought it's a new show (this name sounds better actually).

Sam:

I didn't customize a list but let me check my watch list (this would include wuxia and court officials):

https://mydramalist.com/40353-maiden-holmes

https://mydramalist.com/31391-miss-truth

https://mydramalist.com/32796-past-life-and-life

https://mydramalist.com/39951-the-moon-bright-for-you

https://mydramalist.com/29866-young-blood

https://mydramalist.com/11185-detective-dee

https://mydramalist.com/9532-the-imperial-doctress

https://mydramalist.com/7177-the-four

https://mydramalist.com/28435-the-longest-day-in-chang-an

https://mydramalist.com/33272-the-story-of-ming-dynasty