Shenmi:

Haha what to watch, what to watch!?! I would say start with TLDiC that has less romance :D

Ok, I'll go with this one then :)

The reason I put it on-hold way back then was because it was still airing and I think I just lost track (and interest).  This drama can't be watched at intervals - it has to be binged because everything is connected within the space of 24 hours (the time setting of the drama).

WandereR:
Haha, there's been way too much pink lately.  I'm already seeing much of Mishil in her pink regal outfits :D

Oh dear, if you're noticing it in un-fluffy dramas like Queen Seondeok, you have it bad. I'm glad someone else understands how I feel about this.

WandereR:
Thanks for sharing the OSTs.  I have the complete list in my sageuk playlist as well. My personal fav is still the anachronistic track, 봄이 온다면 by Ahn Ye-eun

There's another version sung by Jeon In Kwon, but it's a little slower. I think the main version is just so much fun!

xinya:

Oh dear, if you're noticing it in un-fluffy dramas like Queen Seondeok, you have it bad. I'm glad someone else understands how I feel about this.

There's another version sung by Jeon In Kwon, but it's a little slower. I think the main version is just so much fun!

I agree, the main version is so much more fun.  Ahn Ye-eun has the perfect voice for sageuk OSTs tbh, it sounds almost like pansori.

This one's pretty emotive and mellow as well, 상사화

WandereR:
I agree, the main version is so much more fun.  Ahn Ye-eun has the perfect voice for sageuk OSTs tbh, it sounds almost like pansori.

This one's pretty emotive and mellow as well, 상사화

There's also a version of 새 날 sung by her, but I was trying to switch things up a bit. And there's this one too. I think she sang like half the soundtrack for this drama. :)

xinya:

There's also a version of 새 날 sung by her, but I was trying to switch things up a bit. And there's this one too. I think she sang like half the soundtrack for this drama. :)

Very nice :)

No wonder you're smitten with the drama!

Heyy :) I'm coming back after completing Nirvana In Fire (I really enjoyed it) and I started The Long Ballad a few days ago. As I'm absolutely loving TLB, I wanted to ask whether anyone can recommend anything similar/ with a similar vibe which I could enjoy as well? Oh and preferably it should be Chinese

To share my historical drama watching myself, the truth is I've been busy lately so I don't have any real plans… But I do try to minimise (or even eliminate, to 1-2 dramas at the time) my Currently Watching list so I can feel less pressure & more free to pick up more dramas. And I'm also slowly going through my 2 high priority lists, THIS and THAT

What helps me with these tasks is the fact that there's nothing remarkable airing right now, just a bunch of pink posters lol, like @xinya & @WandereR commented! :D And mind you, I've nothing against fluffy and/or lighthearted dramas myself when in the mood (especially if done well), but the last bunch of them seem very generic, at least to me…

Estelll:

To share my historical drama watching myself, the truth is I've been busy lately so I don't have any real plans… But I do try to minimise (or even eliminate, to 1-2 dramas at the time) my Currently Watching list so I can feel less pressure & more free to pick up more dramas. And I'm also slowly going through my 2 high priority lists, THIS and THAT

What helps me with these tasks is the fact that there's nothing remarkable airing right now, just a bunch of pink posters lol, like @xinya & @WandereR commented! :D And mind you, I've nothing against fluffy and/or lighthearted dramas myself when in the mood (especially if done well), but the last bunch of them seem very generic, at least to me…

Your THAT is private

L x Y:

Heyy :) I'm coming back after completing Nirvana In Fire (I really enjoyed it) and I started The Long Ballad a few days ago. As I'm absolutely loving TLB, I wanted to ask whether anyone can recommend anything similar/ with a similar vibe which I could enjoy as well? Oh and preferably it should be Chinese

Well...I can't really think of any dramas that are very similar to TLB from the top of my head (it's really a very unique drama!), but here are some Cdramas with some similar details:

• Princess Agents
  • The King's Woman
  • Legend of Fu Yao
  • Under the Power
  • The Rise of Phoenixes
 Estelll:
And I'm also slowly going through my 2 high priority lists, THIS and THAT. 

Suddenly my sageuk list feels very short and doable. Good luck with all of those!

Blizzard:

Well...I can't really think of any dramas that are very similar to TLB from the top of my head (it's really a very unique drama!), but here are some Cdramas with some similar details:

• Princess Agents
  • The King's Woman
  • Legend of Fu Yao
  • Under the Power
  • The Rise of Phoenixes

Thanks! I'll check them out and see whether there's any which interests me out of them :)

Estelll:

Wow, I love your lists!  There are a few overlapping ones with mine, which is a good thing so we'll never run out of good stuff to watch :D

Btw, thought I'd just share this ongoing drama that I've just discovered, since we also include Republican era dramas. Faith Makes Great.

https://mydramalist.com/685281-faith-makes-great

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, since this is a little bit related to propaganda (we'll be getting quite a number of that this year since it's the CCP's 100th anniversary) but it's interesting because of the huge renowned cast (includes Zhao Li Ying, Tan Song Yun, Zhang Xue Ying, Deng Lun, Jin Dong, Angelababy and many many others), anthology of about more than 10 mini stories spread over 40 episodes (30 mins each),  spanning 100 years from 1920s to present day.

It's available subbed on 2 YT platforms but the release is a little slow.  Worth checking out as it's a quality production.

Sam:

Your THAT is private

It's basically recent Chinese dramas (2020-2021), it's the list I dump dramas that sound interesting, mostly for my reference, and then sort it out accordingly…

L x Y:

Kudos for finishing Nirvana in Fire!!! ^_^

As for similar dramas to The Long Ballad, I'm waiting for someone to answer this myself, lol!
Though some I could think of that share some elements are: The Princess Wei Young (revenge, strong fl), Singing All Along (badass fl, war, and this one also share a director, Chu Yui Bun), The Rise of Phoenixes that @Blizzard already mentioned, and, from what I've heard 'cause I've yet to watch it myself, The Song of Glory.

xinya:

Suddenly my sageuk list feels very short and doable. Good luck with all of those!

Thank you, I'm gonna need it, lol!! :D Though this isn't an 1 year (or even 2 years) project, it's just dramas I plan to watch, eventually… If I manage to watch 10-20 dramas from these lists before the end of 2021, I'll already feel very accomplished!! xD

WandereR:
Btw, thought I'd just share this ongoing drama that I've just discovered, since we also include Republican era dramas. Faith Makes Great.

https://mydramalist.com/685281-faith-makes-great

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, since this is a little bit related to propaganda (we'll be getting quite a number of that this year since it's the CCP's 100th anniversary) but it's interesting because of the huge renowned cast (includes Zhao Li Ying, Tan Song Yun, Zhang Xue Ying, Deng Lun, Jin Dong, Angelababy and many many others), anthology of about more than 10 mini stories spread over 40 episodes (30 mins each),  spanning 100 years from 1920s to present day.

It's available subbed on 2 YT platforms but the release is a little slow.  Worth checking out as it's a quality production.

Thank you for your insight!! The reason I hadn't included this drama on the HDC First page with the Currently Airing is that I've (mistakenly?) thought it would mostly be about later times, 1950-1960-1970+, and I've stated in our HDC definitions that I'd include dramas that are set max in the 1940s-1950s (anything more recent & it would be weird to call them historicals, since there are, quite possibly, living individuals/MDL members born & raised during those times)… 

And as for whether I would personally watch this drama or not, I'm not sure, usually I don't mind a little propaganda with my Dramas (it's almost impossible to avoid it entirely in Chinese dramaland anyway, lol), but if it's Propaganda with a little drama (instead of the other way around), that's where I draw the line!! xD

WandereR:

This drama is really heavy stuff, 1 episode one story...and it's what estelll says it's more propaganda then.......but I love the story's on them self's. btw the west also propagates in a different jacket though :)) I like it a lot just to watch so once in a while, it's certainly not a binger for me! The production team went all out...and I think it's all well executed :)