Dramaonhere:
Cool! I would like to join.

Welcome!  Glad to have you on board :)

I am a fan of historical dramas and very impressed by the amazing graphics and work but in.

Hi ~ This club is a lovely idea and I would like to join too!

I'm pretty fond of stories set during the Chinese republican era, but my favourite historical drama is Scarlet Heart. Looking forward to finding new good recommendations :D

Ok as a fellow historical lover ...I would love to join here ... My favourite historical would be The Story of Ming Lan ....I'm currently watching 3 historicals Chinese drama The Rebel Princess , My Heroic Husband and The Sword and The Brocade ....I'm thinking of starting a new Japanese historical Asa ga Kita ...it is an Asadora (Japanese morning drama) ....it will be my first Asadora and Japanese Historical

@ Dramaonhere, Knavery, lucy_lu, Sam, 

Welcome to the Club, and thank you!! ^_^

And @ everyone, I'm thinking of adding the members' names in a list at the front page (https://mydramalist.com/discussions/general-asia-forum/59877-historical-dramas-club?pid=1610595&page=1#p1610595)... 

What do y'all think about that? If you don't like the idea, please tell me so, or if a specific person wouldn't like their own name added there, tell here or PM me!!

Estelll:

@ Dramaonhere, Knavery, lucy_lu, Sam, 

Welcome to the Club, and thank you!! ^_^

And @ everyone, I'm thinking of adding the members' names in a list at the front page (https://mydramalist.com/discussions/general-asia-forum/59877-historical-dramas-club?pid=1610595&page=1#p1610595)... 

What do y'all think about that? If you don't like the idea, please tell me so, or if a specific person wouldn't like their own name added there, tell here or PM me!!

I like the idea and would be okay with my name being added. :) 

Hello! I would love to join this club. Historicals are my favorite genre! At the moment my faves are The Untamed, Ancient Detective and The Story of Minglan

The badges and banners are super pretty!

Estelll:
And @ everyone, I'm thinking of adding the members' names in a list at the front page

I'm fine with that, sounds like a great idea :)

Hi hello people :) *cue that "It's me, Anastasia" gif* 

Really though, I think this would be really interesting. A place where we can talk about historicals and also see what other people like and maybe not like about them. I would like to join and see where we go :D 

My 1st was Rebel:Thief who Stole the People, and honestly it's still one of my favorites <3 

YellowFox23:

Hi hello people :) *cue that "It's me, Anastasia" gif* 

Really though, I think this would be really interesting. A place where we can talk about historicals and also see what other people like and maybe not like about them. I would like to join and see where we go :D 

My 1st was Rebel:Thief who Stole the People, and honestly it's still one of my favorites <3 

Hello there and welcome :)

I haven't seen that one, but it sounds really interesting and has a few familiar faces in the cast.

For me, I can't recall the first one I've watched, it's been years ago lol.  But I've always been fascinated with historicals of any genre and even country (including Hollywood and other Western productions).  You feel like you're transported to a different era and it's truly an exciting feeling :)

WandereR:

Hello there and welcome :)

I haven't seen that one, but it sounds really interesting and has a few familiar faces in the cast.

For me, I can't recall the first one I've watched, it's been years ago lol.  But I've always been fascinated with historicals of any genre and even country (including Hollywood and other Western productions).  You feel like you're transported to a different era and it's truly an exciting feeling :)

Same, I was always obsessed with everything Medieval and loved bbc period dramas. So I think it just transfered over into asian drama. 

I guess I should say hi, rather than just lurking indefinitely ...

YellowFox23:

Sounds like you started with a good one! I haven't seen it yet, but it's high priority on my list. :) I think my first historical drama was Faith. Lol. I do have some affection for it, even though the levels of cringe are pretty high. :P

YellowFox23:

Same, I was always obsessed with everything Medieval and loved bbc period dramas. So I think it just transfered over into asian drama. 

Love the Middle Ages. They're so underrated and often badly portrayed. I feel for Medievalists. They're really fighting an uphill PR battle.

It's TGIF people! Weekend is almost here :D

After sharing about a Hong Kong drama recently, today I'll post something about Chinese historical fashion.  Specifically the outfits worn by the nobles and royalty.  I think most of us are drawn to Asian historicals not only for the remarkable stories but also the gorgeous costumes.

I've selected a few stills and shots from various dramas/ movies to be displayed in chronological order.  Do note that this is not a complete or exhaustive list as there are countless dynasties and eras involved.  Only the notable ones are selected.

Brief Background

Chinese embroidery has a long history since the Neolithic age. Because of the quality of silk fibre, most Chinese fine embroideries are made in silk.  After the opening of the Silk Route in the Han dynasty, the silk production and trade flourished.  The ancient Chinese were also able to obtain silk of various natural colors from the color of silkworm cocoons which depended on what their caterpillars ate.

Warring States & Qin Dynasty (421 BC - 206 BC)

This period was characterized by war, hence the clothing was more frugal and modest in comparison with the later periods.  The accessories were also less sophisticated and elaborate.  Qin Dynasty was the first imperial dynasty where the vassal and splintered states of the central plains were finally unified.

Qin Dynasty Epic

Han Dynasty and Three Kingdoms (206 BC - 280 AD)

The Han Dynasty was a Golden Age in Chinese history when peace and prosperity thrived, before devolving into a state of chaos again during the period of the three kingdoms.

Red Cliff

Advisors Alliance

Southern and Northern Dynasties (420 - 589) 

This was one of the more fascinating eras where the fashion sense were markedly more liberal than the conservative earlier eras.  C-Dramas always depict this period with vivid and lively colours.   Beautiful costumes were adorned with delicate accessories.

Nirvana in Fire

The Princess Wei Yang

Tang Dynasty (618 - 907)

Tang was the most well-known and prosperous among all the dynasties.  The fashion of this era was considered avant garde and distinguished by outrageous makeup and intricate hairstyles.  The ladies' dresses were also notorious for its low necklines

The Longest Day in Chang'an

The Empress of China

Song Dynasty (960 - 1279)

This era was considerably more cultured and less excessive as well as somewhat precarious politically, due to its ongoing war with the Mongols. The fashion was toned down to convey a more understated elegance.

Serenade of Peaceful Joy

Serenade of Peaceful Joy

The Story of Ming Lan

The Story of Ming Lan

Liao Dynasty (916 to 1125 )

The Liao Dynasty was established by the Khitan State, when the Khitan people conquered the central plain.  The fashion, accessories and braided hair were features of the Khitan culture.

Legend of Xiao Chuo

Legend of Xiao Chuo

Legend of Xiao Chuo

Ming Dynasty (1368 - 1644)

The Ming Dynasty was established by the ethnic Han people when they took back the central plain from the Mongols.  The fashion is very similar to the Song Dynasty.  Of notable significance is the emergence of the Embroidered (Brocade) Uniform Guard or more famously known as Jing Yi Wei, the Emperor's "secret police".  Almost every single C-drama set in this era would somehow incorporate this elite group of men.

Under the Power

The Imperial Doctress

The Imperial Doctress

Under the Power

Qing Dynasty (1644 - 1911)

The last imperial dynasty to ever exist, which was founded by the Manchu state, the third neighbouring power to conquer the central plain.  The fashion was very conservative and reflected features of the Manchu culture, particularly the muted colours and the ladies hairdo.  This era was also infamous for the men's "half-bald pig-tailed" hairstyle as well as the peacock-feathered headwear of the officials.

Story of Yanxi Palace

Story of Yanxi Palace

Story of Yanxi Palace

Well, that's it for today.  Hope you've enjoyed reading this post :)

xinya:

I guess I should say hi, rather than just lurking indefinitely ...

Sounds like you started with a good one! I haven't seen it yet, but it's high priority on my list. :) I think my first historical drama was Faith. Lol. I do have some affection for it, even though the levels of cringe are pretty high. :P

Love the Middle Ages. They're so underrated and often badly portrayed. I feel for Medievalists. They're really fighting an uphill PR battle.

Wondering if you've seen Pillars of the Earth or World Without End. 

Also I have no idea how to quote selectively?? 

YellowFox23:
Wondering if you've seen Pillars of the Earth or World Without End. 

I might've watched one or two episodes of Pillars of the Earth. Not sure why I didn't continue considering it actually had monks and churches, which are the types of things that typically get left out of stereotypical portrayals of the Middle Ages. (Plus I like Rufus Sewell.) I've actually never heard of World Without End.

YellowFox23:
Also I have no idea how to quote selectively?? 

Just highlight the section you want to quote, the click the "Quote" option that appears.