Winnie:
Hi, I'm late to the club somehow I missed seeing this one around....

Welcome!

@Winnie and @all other new people, a warm welcome from me, too!! 

Glad to "listen" to everyone's thoughts & opinions! ?? (It's been a h*ll lot of reading to catch up, lol!!)

____

Since I plan to be "officially" back on MDL in a few days (hopefully), these are on my to-do list for the club (in random order), for now: 

• Compile all the new banners & badges that were created in my absence, and put them all in the Banners & Badges section on the first page. 
  • Doing some "promotion" for the club in the feeds, by starting posting there from time to time and hangout with (not only) club members there, maybe with a different theme each time (e.g posting some pics & asking about supernatural historical dramas, or "scary" ones, or dramas with great costumes, etc. are some early thoughts), or by asking a question of the day/week, or with some feed games! (Thanks to the folks here who had made a suggestion similar to this, some pages ago!!!) 
  • Update the Currently Airing section. And keep updating it regularly. 
  • (This is more of a personal thing) Make a couple of lists with 2021 dramas that are noteworthy, and maybe post it here so people can vote. 
  • Update the Lists section with... well... lists. But this one will be tricky because everyone's has their favourites and there are plenty of duplicates with the same themes and there's STILL NOT A LIST SEARCH FACTION in mdl!! :((( 
  • Update the Members section with all the club members (excluding those that don't want their name in there) 
  • Update the rest of the front page with all the other great stuff / creations/ contributions / interesting posts that members (or not) have come up with/compile!! :) 

I'm sure there are plenty of things I'm forgetting right now, and you're welcome to remind me! ;) And of course any feedback, criticism, and/or suggestions are welcome!!! 

And as always, feel free to do your own things for the club (or historical dramas-related), here or elsewhere, you don't have to ask for permission for anything, though it sure would be great if you could also share it here so more people would know about it, if you like! 

And sorry if I've disappointed anyone, or I haven't answer someone's message, please know that it was nothing personal, and I apologise if I unintentionally offended you!!

Thank you, 

Estelll 

Nice to have you back Estelll!

Estelll:
Doing some "promotion" for the club in the feeds, by starting posting there from time to time and hangout with (not only) club members there, maybe with a different theme each time (e.g posting some pics & asking about supernatural historical dramas, or "scary" ones, or dramas with great costumes, etc. are some early thoughts), or by asking a question of the day/week, or with some feed games! (Thanks to the folks here who had made a suggestion similar to this, some pages ago!!!) 

I don't know if you like this idea, but the Japanese Dorama Club created a club profile that has been posting on the Feeds. We could consider doing the same for this club.

Estelll:
Update the Lists section with... well... lists. But this one will be tricky because everyone's has their favourites and there are plenty of duplicates with the same themes and there's STILL NOT A LIST SEARCH FACTION in mdl!! :((( 

If it's hard to choose which user lists to feature, we could create a few club lists. As a group we could suggest and decide what are some good dramas to feature. We could make a few like: "Sageuks to Start With," "Chinese Historicals for Beginners," "Best Taiga Dramas," "Classic Historical Dramas." We could add a few comments next to each drama, to help people choose which dramas on the Lists best fit their taste.

Anyway, I'd be happy to help in any way!

xinya:
ut the Japanese Dorama Club created a club profile that has been posting on the Feeds. We could consider doing the same for this club.

I'd actually think it would be great if this club would have a profile and mascot as well :D 

I went ahead and created a MDL profile for our club!

Currently, the profile picture is a Ch’an Buddhist painting of persimmons, but that should probably be changed. My best idea at the moment is something with the character 史. Since Classical Chinese historically was the written language for all of East Asia, I feel like it would work for more than just China. This character has a number of possible meanings in Classical Chinese, among which are “historian,” “historical text/record,” and “history.” I believe this character still means “history” in modern Korean, Chinese, and Japanese. (If any of this is wrong, feel free to correct me.) It’s also the character used to write the modern word sageuk (사극, 史劇). The Japanese word jidaigeki (時代劇) doesn’t use this character, rather is written like the Korean sidaegeuk (시대극), which is similar, but has more of the meaning of “period drama” rather than “historical drama.” I think in Chinese, 史 is only used for a certain subset of costume dramas that are actually based on history, but all the Chinese genres are way too confusing for me to figure out, so I don’t really know. I’m not sure if this works at all for Thailand or the Phillipines. Anyway, it’s definitely not perfect, but I don’t really have any better ideas at the moment. Feel free to suggest something! Ideally, I think it should be something that feels “historical,” but doesn’t seem too obviously belonging to one culture’s history over the others.

I figure we can use this account to promote the club and any club activities we have on the Feeds and we can also use it to create custom club lists.

Anyway, I’ll be working on making the bio better (I think I have to wait a few days to add links or images, though). Feel free to message me or post ideas in the forum.

I look forward to seeing how the group evolves!  I haven't talked much here lately about what I've been watching but I thought I'd say I just finished Royal Nirvana & Special and boy did that put me through my paces.  I haven't cried that hard since watching The Wolf.  It was my first time bumping into Luo Jin, surprisingly and WOW that fellow is talented.  I feel a little depleted and worn out from how intense the ride was through that series but cannot compliment the entire crew enough for making such a gem.

I can't wait to connect more again with people here to share what we are watching and how it has impacted us and also share series that are too good to miss!  

xinya:

Thank you @xinya!! 

I loved your analysis into the Chinese character, maybe we can use that! Also, love the look of the profile so far, clean, minimalist and aesthetic!!! ^_^

Aha now I understand the whole profile of the Historical Club and the J-Dorama club. Great thinking ladies and thanks for all these goodies ??

xinya:

Amazing! And thank you for the work! :D 

Estelll:
Also, love the look of the profile so far, clean, minimalist and aesthetic!!! ^_^

Can only rigorously nod to that - xinya it looks so so good! <3

Estelll:
Also, love the look of the profile so far, clean, minimalist and aesthetic!!! ^_^

Pot-Pourri Haru:
Can only rigorously nod to that - xinya it looks so so good! <3

Thank you! I'm not totally satisfied with some of the gif choices, because I just used the ones I had. Once I collect some more, I'll probably redo it a bit. 

I also haven't put that much info on the profile yet, so if anyone thinks there are things I should add, let me know!

xinya:

Thank you! I'm not totally satisfied with some of the gif choices, because I just used the ones I had. Once I collect some more, I'll probably redo it a bit. 

I also haven't put that much info on the profile yet, so if anyone thinks there are things I should add, let me know!

One thing I feel would be useful is adding links to the pics/gifs on the profile, to link to the drama each gif/pic is from!

Estelll:
One thing I feel would be useful is adding links to the pics/gifs on the profile, to link to the drama each gif/pic is from!

Done!

Hello, just found this forum!!

The very first drama that I watched was an asadora - Oshin and there have been so many after from different countries though I've barely updated in MDL. I would like to join this club please, and find more dramas as well as discuss my favourite historical dramas. :)

Fourthaxis:

Hello, just found this forum!!

The very first drama that I watched was an asadora - Oshin and there have been so many after from different countries though I've barely updated in MDL. I would like to join this club please, and find more dramas as well as discuss my favourite historical dramas. :)

Hi, welcome to the forum. Oshin was my first asadora I watched 5 years ago. Since then I have seen 8 asadoras. Currently watching Carnation.