WandereR:
I think most of us are drawn to Asian historicals not only for the remarkable stories but also the gorgeous costumes.

Very true. Though you're also making me want to start a thread where we collect all dramaland's hilarious anachronisms. :P

Oh, and I'm definitely going to have to watch The Longest Day in Chang'an. Those costumes are amazing.

xinya:

Very true. Though you're also making me want to start a thread where we collect all dramaland's hilarious anachronisms. :P

Oh, and I'm definitely going to have to watch The Longest Day in Chang'an. Those costumes are amazing.

Haha.  I knew the moment I shared that post, @xinya's going to dissect all the anachronisms out of it LOL

But aside from the obvious ones and the tailoring process, I think generally the themes of the era are adequately defined by the production team and do reflect the key features of each dynasty.

Which one's your favourite era?  Mine is the Northern and Southern Dynasties era :)

WandereR:
Which one's your favourite era?  Mine is the Northern and Southern Dynasties era :)

I think I like Tang. I also like Yuan a lot, but the men's hairstyles ...

xinya:

I think I like Tang. I also like Yuan a lot, but the men's hairstyles ...

Tang is nice.  Some folks like the braided hair look on Yuan men but I know how you feel :D

Thank you WandereR for the very interesting info about the dynasties and their fashion! And of course to Estell and all the previous post-ers who shared their recommendations. I've added a few into my PTW list.

I love most fashion of the earlier dinasties, but the half-bald-pig-tailed style just doesn't do it for me. Nowadays I usually avoid dramas of that period.

As a fantasy lover, I love being transported into a different world by historical dramas in general, but Chinese wuxia/xianxia/xuanhuan dramas are a major plus for me because of their fantastical elements. So, you definitely won't see me complaining about why the people fly around or how such fighting is impossible. ;) 

I would, however, occasionally bitch about the amount of blood vomiting in C-historicals, because no matter where the wound is or what the ailment is, they always vomit blood... lol.

Non-exhaustive list of reasons to vomit blood in C-historicals:

• get stabbed on the back
  • get stabbed on the stomach
  • get stabbed on the shoulder
  • get stabbed on the side
  • get hit by the enemy's inner power / qi
  • get hit by a random object in general
  • qi deviation
  • overworked
  • overtraining
  • anger
  • frustration
  • depression
  • sadness
  • heart attack
  • chronic illness 

Edited: how can I forget the most epic reason of blood vomiting:

• gay panic (by Lan Zhan) ;-p
 WandereR:
Some folks like the braided hair look on Yuan men but I know how you feel :D

It actually looked reasonably good in the pictures you posted, but I've seen some portraits where I was definitely not a fan, especially when they shave the top the head except for one patch of hair above the forehead.

Hi fellow historical lovers !

Thanks Estelll for this nice club, also your currently airing historicals is a brilliant idea !

Thanks people for those awesome recommandations (with all the details, pictures) <3

Vya van Velaris:
Thank you WandereR for the very interesting info about the dynasties and their fashion! And of course to Estell and all the previous post-ers who shared their recommendations. I've added a few into my PTW list.

You're most welcome :)

Vya van Velaris:
I would, however, occasionally bitch about the amount of blood vomiting in C-historicals, because no matter where the wound is or what the ailment is, they always vomit blood... lol.

Non-exhaustive list of reasons to vomit blood in C-historicals:

LOL! This is a very comprehensive and useful list!  Brilliant :D

The first thought that came to my mind when I read blood vomiting was L&R - poor Cheng Yi...

xinya:

It actually looked reasonably good in the pictures you posted, but I've seen some portraits where I was definitely not a fan, especially when they shave the top the head except for one patch of hair above the forehead.

The ones you saw are definitely more realistic - that's why they were termed barbarians :O

Mewkit:

Hi fellow historical lovers !

Thanks Estelll for this nice club, also your currently airing historicals is a brilliant idea !

Thanks people for those awesome recommandations (with all the details, pictures) <3

Welcome to the club!  So nice to have you joining us!  :)

WandereR:

The ones you saw are definitely more realistic - that's why they were termed barbarians :O

Well shaving your head wasn't congruent with Confucian morality :)

I'm in need for recommendation.
After we finish watching a show with my sis, I want to watch a new chinese historical.
Cos 1-I love them,
2-she almost watch only korean dramas, I need to expand her culture :P

So do you have any idea for a show we can both enjoy, but also fitting for a beginner ?
(I already made her watch The untamed and Eternal love of dream)

Thanks people <3

Mewkit:

I'm in need for recommendation.
After we finish watching a show with my sis, I want to watch a new chinese historical.
Cos 1-I love them,
2-she almost watch only korean dramas, I need to expand her culture :P

So do you have any idea for a show we can both enjoy, but also fitting for a beginner ?
(I already made her watch The untamed and Eternal love of dream)

Thanks people <3

Does she watch sageuks? If so which ones does she like (so we can get a sense of her taste)?

WandereR:

You're most welcome :)

LOL! This is a very comprehensive and useful list!  Brilliant :D

The first thought that came to my mind when I read blood vomiting was L&R - poor Cheng Yi...

Cheng Yi indeed gets the award of the MC with the most blood-vomiting in the drama history.. lol.

Oh, I forgot another important reason of blood vomiting. I've edited my post up there.

xinya:

Does she watch sageuks? If so which ones does she like (so we can get a sense of her taste)?

Yes we love sageuks ^^

I'll say Scarlet heart, we both liked Arthdal, Mr Sunshine....we have the same taste, she's just not use to chinese yet