Mewkit:

I'm in need for recommendation.
After we finish watching a show with my sis, I want to watch a new chinese historical.
Cos 1-I love them,
2-she almost watch only korean dramas, I need to expand her culture :P

So do you have any idea for a show we can both enjoy, but also fitting for a beginner ?
(I already made her watch The untamed and Eternal love of dream)

Thanks people <3

I would recommend Joy of Life if she can miss the romance. It's a mix of humor, action and clever plotting, but has only minor romance in it.

Vya van Velaris:

Cheng Yi indeed gets the award of the MC with the most blood-vomiting in the drama history.. lol.

Oh, I forgot another important reason of blood vomiting. I've edited my post up there.

Hahaha!!!  That's a great one right there :D

xinya:

Well shaving your head wasn't congruent with Confucian morality :)

That is so true.  Confucius rocks in those days :D

Vya van Velaris:

I would recommend Joy of Life if she can miss the romance. It's a mix of humor, action and clever plotting, but has only minor romance in it.

Thank you ! This one was on my mind, but I wasn't sure ^^

@WandereR 

Enjoyed you post about embroidery.

I wanted to add an article about the main schools of embroidery for anyone interested: 

Four Schools of Embroidery: Shu embroidery, Xiang embroidery, Su embroidery, and Yue embroidery. Miao Embroidery is a separate style of embroidery from a minority group.

As well as this page about Su embroidery.

There was a modern drama Because of You with Sun Yi that peaked my interest in embroidery history.

---

I've been watching historical dramas since I was a child in Canada. My parents would buy VHS, yes I am that old ;) and I would binge watch them before it was a term.

My first ones were Cantonese and Taiwanese, back when chow yun-fat was still doing TV.

My addiction has always been strong. 

---

Does anyone remember an old Cantonese Drama about a Empress who became regent who ruled on behalf of her son? I remember it being incredibly cruel and violent. But I don't remember the name.

xinya:

Very true. Though you're also making me want to start a thread where we collect all dramaland's hilarious anachronisms. :P

Oh, and I'm definitely going to have to watch The Longest Day in Chang'an. Those costumes are amazing.

I've tried watching that twice now, should I try again?

Mewkit:

Yes we love sageuks ^^

I'll say Scarlet heart, we both liked Arthdal, Mr Sunshine....we have the same taste, she's just not use to chinese yet

I'm probably not the best person to recommend Chinese historicals, because I haven't watched that many, but I'll do my best ...

Similar to Scarlet Heart ... well there is the Chinese version (I haven't watched it). Maybe The Rise of Phoenixes, because it also has a really compelling, ruthless male lead as well as a power struggle between princes. However, The Rise of Phoenixes is MUCH more political than Scarlet Heart. Nirvana in Fire also has a power struggle between princes, but it seems to have very little romance and is nearly 100% politics (I'm only on episode 10, though, hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

Similar to Arthdal ... nothing is really similar to Arthdal. It's pretty unique among sageuks too.

Similar to Mr. Sunshine ... I'm really not sure. Maybe Winter Begonia. It's not a romance, but it does have a "period drama" feel like Mr. Sushine and it's also very beautiful and set in the early 20th century (I've only watched 1 episode so far, though). 

Hopefully someone else will have some better ideas than I do ...

Mewkit:
So do you have any idea for a show we can both enjoy, but also fitting for a beginner ?

Ok here are some suggestions:

Historical - In a Class of Her Own (re-make of Sungkyunkwan Scandal), Princess Silver, Renascence, Story of Yanxi Palace, The Imperial Doctress

Wuxia - Legend of Yunxi, Young Blood, Legend of the Condor Heroes

Xianxia - Love & Redemption, The Legends

funnypeopleswim:
I wanted to add an article about the main schools of embroidery for anyone interested: 

Four Schools of Embroidery: Shu embroidery, Xiang embroidery, Su embroidery, and Yue embroidery. Miao Embroidery is a separate style of embroidery from a minority group.

As well as this page about Su embroidery.

Thanks for sharing!

funnypeopleswim:
I've tried watching that twice now, should I try again?

I don't know. :) It seems gorgeous, which is enough to convince me to try it. How far did you get? If you don't like it, don't force yourself.

funnypeopleswim:
Enjoyed you post about embroidery.

You're most welcome :)

funnypeopleswim:
I wanted to add an article about the main schools of embroidery for anyone interested

Thank you for the insights into embroidery.  It's very interesting that lately we've had 2 dramas about embroidery (I haven't seen them but I understand the premise and backstory):

Weaving a Tale of Love

The Sword and the Brocade

'Tis the season for embroidery :)

funnypeopleswim:
I've been watching historical dramas since I was a child in Canada. My parents would buy VHS, yes I am that old ;) and I would binge watch them before it was a term.

Me too, I used to be pretty good at fixing VHS tapes when they got stuck in the player lol

funnypeopleswim:
Does anyone remember an old Cantonese Drama about a Empress who became regent who ruled on behalf of her son? I remember it being incredibly cruel and violent. But I don't remember the name.

I watched a lot of TVB HK dramas so let's see if I get this right...

Is it War and Beauty?  I saw bits of it many years back so can't really recall the plot.  But I do recall the Empress Dowager during the late Qing Dynasty ruled as regent.

The others would be The Last Healer in Forbidden City, The Confidant, A Step Into the Past.

xinya:
I'm probably not the best person to recommend Chinese historicals, because I haven't watched that many, but I'll do my best ...

Thank you for you rec <3

WandereR:

Ok here are some suggestions:

Historical - In a Class of Her Own (re-make of Sungkyunkwan Scandal), Princess Silver, Renascence, Story of Yanxi Palace, The Imperial Doctress

Wuxia - Legend of Yunxi, Young Blood, Legend of the Condor Heroes

Xianxia - Love & Redemption, The Legends

Thank you :D

There is a very important aspect of historical dramas and that is martial arts ....now we can have a long discussion on different types of martial arts ... Like kung fu, karate, Muay Thai, Subak, etc.... unfortunately I'm little time bound here ...

So let's just discuss about martial arts choreography 

My forte is Chinese drama so I will post about it ....I once posted about this on feeds but I think this one place is better

One thing I really like about wuxia is... the martial arts choreography....now there are 2 types.

One in which 2 people jump around and fight eachother...I really used to love the Jackie Chan's movies when I was a kid 

Another one is when people use their inner energy to fight ...you know qi... now in this how you punch is not important but the after effects it creates ....you know it may look simple but it releases a ring of energy that destroys the thing kept around ....I really love these sorts of fighting ...it gives some sort of rush 

So what's your favourite type of choreography ?

Ps. The one in previous gif is Zhang Ziyi and second one is from Legend of Fei...

xinya:

Thanks for sharing!

I don't know. :) It seems gorgeous, which is enough to convince me to try it. How far did you get? If you don't like it, don't force yourself.

I watched two episodes. I agree it looks great, but I feel like it was too serious for me at the time.

Sam:
So what's your favourite type of choreography ?

Thanks for sharing :)

I've been a big fan of martial arts as well and as far as the choreography is concerned, I enjoy pretty much most of them, if not all, across the 4 categories of wuxia, xianxia, xuanhuan and kung fu.

Each of them is different and unique, but are equally thrilling and exciting.  No historical would be complete without some form of martial arts fused into the story, which makes this genre truly amazing!

WandereR:

Thanks for sharing :)

I've been a big fan of martial arts as well and as far as the choreography is concerned, I enjoy pretty much most of them, if not all, across the 4 categories of wuxia, xianxia, xuanhuan and kung fu.

Each of them is different and unique, but are equally thrilling and exciting.  No historical would be complete without some form of martial arts fused into the story, which makes this genre truly amazing!

Those xianxia and xuanhuan are my favorite type....there was a scene in Love and Destiny where some people wanted to go against God of War ....when suddenly his sword flew from above and landed right between them....and they backed off ....I find that scene so cool...those types scene excites every nerve of my body