funnypeopleswim:
I watched two episodes. I agree it looks great, but I feel like it was too serious for me at the time.

Well maybe give it a few more episodes at some point when you're in the mood, and if you still don't like it, then it's just not for you. :)

Sam:

Those xianxia and xuanhuan are my favorite type....there was a scene in Love and Destiny where some people wanted to go against God of War ....when suddenly his sword flew from above and landed right between them....and they backed off ....I find that scene so cool...those types scene excites every nerve of my body

Yes, totally agree.  The fantasy and magical aspects are the coolest, and the visual effects make everything so surreal.

That reminds me, can't wait for the upcoming Onmyoji Yin Yang Master which airs on Netflix this month.  The trailer looks really awesome!

WandereR:

Yes, totally agree.  The fantasy and magical aspects are the coolest, and the visual effects make everything so surreal.

That reminds me, can't wait for the upcoming Onmyoji Yin Yang Master which airs on Netflix this month.  The trailer looks really awesome!

Yep it looks ....cast is also good ... would be fun to watch

@WandereR

I don't think it's any of those. Only because they are from the 2000 and the one I am looking for would have been in the late 1980s - 90's. It doesn't help that I watched it with Vietnamese Dubs so the title would have in Vietnamese too. 

It was very old. I want to believe it was about EmpressWu Zetian, but I am only guessing at this point. Anyways I only remember it because she wiped out all her enemies and I think her own clan in order to retain power. It was heartbreaking and shocking at list to my childhood memories. And I think it was the drama that got me hooked into Chinese historical dramas.

funnypeopleswim:

@WandereR

I don't think it's any of those. Only because they are from the 2000 and the one I am looking for would have been in the late 1980s - 90's. It doesn't help that I watched it with Vietnamese Dubs so the title would have in Vietnamese too. 

It was very old. I want to believe it was about EmpressWu Zetian, but I am only guessing at this point. Anyways I only remember it because she wiped out all her enemies and I think her own clan in order to retain power. It was heartbreaking and shocking at list to my childhood memories. And I think it was the drama that got me hooked into Chinese historical dramas.

Ah ok, that would require some digging lol

But that's a good point, the pure historicals especially the really political ones (both harem and court politics) tend to be quite vicious.  Many fictional historicals also employ such themes into the plot.  For actual historical based, the more famous female rulers/ regents would indeed be Wu Zetian as well as the Qing Empress Dowager I mentioned.  I'm pretty sure there are some more but I can't seem to recall at the moment.  1980s TVB productions would most likely star some of the actresses that were recently cast in Rebel Princess i.e. Angie Chiu and Kara Wai.

xinya:

I might've watched one or two episodes of Pillars of the Earth. Not sure why I didn't continue considering it actually had monks and churches, which are the types of things that typically get left out of stereotypical portrayals of the Middle Ages. (Plus I like Rufus Sewell.) I've actually never heard of World Without End.

Just highlight the section you want to quote, the click the "Quote" option that appears.

It's based on a book by the same author as PotE.

Thanks for explaining :) 

Hey everyone, and I'm sorry I wasn't active here (and on MDL in general) lately, I've been busy, and very tired when I'm not busy!

First of all a big WELCOME!!! to all newcomers, and thank you for your comments!!!

To @WandereR , THANK YOU for your beautiful and very informative presentation of costumes per Chinese historical period!! :) It could very well be an article by the way!

My only "correction" would be that The Legend of Xiao Chuo is set during Liao Dynasty (primarily made by Khitans, as you said) [916 to 1125 CE], and not during Yuan Dynasty [1271–1368 CE] (Mongol Empire), though the attires & fashions of both these empires are not very different, or at least they don't get depicted differently in historical dramas...

Also, note to self to read more about embroidery, I'm currently watching The Sword and The Brocade and I would love to know more about what they're often talking about.

And to @Sam 's question, I personally love all kinds of historical or fantasy action (except for the 20th+ century guns etc.)!!! But probably my favourite types are the "classic" wuxia types, with lots of intense sword-fighting & beautiful choreography that keep my eyes glued to the screen!!

Some examples:
Korean Dramas - Six Flying Dragons, Queen Seon Duk, Tree With Deep Roots.
Chinese Dramas - Nirvana in FireNirvana in Fire 2The Flame's DaughterHeavenly Sword and Dragon Slaying Sabre.
Movies - Crouching Tiger, Hidden DragonHouse of Flying DaggersHero.

And also, I love viewing extraordinary (even improbable) archery, but there aren't many dramas showcasing it, perhaps the most well-known one is of course Jumong!

Estelll:
To @WandereR , THANK YOU for your beautiful and very informative presentation of costumes per Chinese historical period!! :) It could very well be an article by the way!

My only "correction" would be that The Legend of Xiao Chuo is set during Liao Dynasty (primarily made by Khitans, as you said) [916 to 1125 CE], and not during Yuan Dynasty [1271–1368 CE] (Mongol Empire), though the attires & fashions of both these empires are not very different, or at least they don't get depicted differently in historical dramas...

You're most welcome :)

And thank you for the correction!  I've edited the article to reflect the correct info.  I always get mixed up between the Liao and Yuan as they are both Mongol-based neighbouring powers that invaded the central plain, along with the Jin and Qing which were the other foreign forces that took over Han China.  

One thing's for sure though - as bad as these cultures' hairstyles were, Shawn Dou totally rocked it and made it look awesome :D

WandereR:
I always get mixed up between the Liao and Yuan as they are both Mongol-based neighbouring powers that invaded the central plain, along with the Jin and Qing which were the other foreign forces that took over Han China.  

From someone who can't even tell the dynasty by the costumes (I'm too occupied with all the beautiful costumes and setting) thank you for listing them. It's really helpful. 

I agree with Estelll, it would make a great article. ;D 

moonchild:

From someone who can't even tell the dynasty by the costumes (I'm too occupied with all the beautiful costumes and setting) thank you for listing them. It's really helpful. 

I agree with Estelll, it would make a great article. ;D 

I'm glad you find it useful  :)

It's always confusing with all the different dynasties and each has so many unique costumes.  Usually the pure historical dramas get it right, compared to xianxia which sometimes adds extra elements of fiction to the costumes.

I'm very happy to do a little sharing here for our club.  Articles take a lot of effort, unless we collaborate with other members and publish an editorial piece, that would indeed be awesome :D

WandereR:
Articles take a lot of effort, unless we collaborate with other members and publish an editorial piece, that would indeed be awesome :D

I love this idea!!! Something like "HDC Presents: ...", it could be a series of articles!! :D

Estelll:
Korean Dramas - Six Flying Dragons, Queen Seon Duk, Tree With Deep Roots.

Kim Young Hyun and Park Sang Yeon's dramas :)

xinya:

Kim Young Hyun and Park Sang Yeon's dramas :)

YES!!! Although I've yet to watch Arthdal Chronicles, I'm afraid I'll be disappointed especially after SFD! (But mostly because I strongly dislike the seasons thing...)

I would love to join the historical drama club and find good historical drama's to watch.

Estelll:
YES!!! Although I've yet to watch Arthdal Chronicles, I'm afraid I'll be disappointed especially after SFD! (But mostly because I strongly dislike the seasons thing...)

Oh gosh, the seasons thing is terrible! Wait to watch it. It's not as good a SFD, in my opinion, but it's still good, and it's quite unique, since it's in such an early time period.