Wish Upon A Star:

Oh no... August is coming to an end soon and no one else has antagonist/villain from any historical drama that is worth appreciating?? Or is there really a lack of such noteworthy antagonist/villain from historical drama compared to contemporary / modern dramas??

Well I must have missed that discussion because my all time favorite is Mishil from Queen Seon Deok. She's smart, a badass, and has so much passion. She was so good. I was super disappointed when she died. If I rewatched the show, I'd probably stop after she dies because that's how much I liked her.

There are a lot of good villains out there. Another satisfying one was the end game villain for The Story of Ming Lan. She was incredibly clever and slippery, to the point where she was annoying. But it was fun and her descent into chaos was absolutely intoxicating to watch. When she is in the fire screaming and laughing, it's just a really memorable scene What is she dancing too? I can't remember exactly, but I do remember the sense of chaotic freedom that really juxtoposed her careful and strategic planning.

One of my first favorites was from Faith. It was one of my first times seeing a villian that was actually complex and made sense as a character. I feel like up to that point, a lot of the villians I saw were evil for evil's sake, and weren't that interesting. Seeing Ki Cheol have goals, complex desires, have struggles and heartaches completely changed my standards for villains. He's a horrible horrible character, but I'll always remember him.

I think it was because a lot of people are on holidays in this period. There are many antagonists/villains I'm sure.

For me the most memorable ones are Kim Seo Hyung as the Empress Dowager and Jeon Gook Hwan as Yeon Chul in "Empress Ki", because it was my first sageuk and one of my favourites. Also Jang Hyuk as Lee Bang Won in "My Country: The New Age" and also as Park Gye Won in "Bloody Heart", always mesmerising. Baek Yoon Shik as Kim Jwa Geun in the movie "FengShui". And Ryu Seung Ryong as Kurushima Michifusa in "The Admiral: Roaring Currents".

Also, in general, all the Queens Dowagers that are most of the time embroiled in power struggles. 

Best villain I've seen recently is probably from Under the Power.  You can check here for some other suggestions: https://www.reddit.com/r/CDrama/comments/wtexe8/dramas_with_charming_villainsantihero/

Knavery:

Anyone got some less-romantic serious historicals or maybe a romantic-comedy with a somewhat believable plot that has aired recently?

I've been slowly working my way through Love Between Fairy and Devil and while it's okay, it's a bit heavy on the romance for me. And I get a lot of people like the stuff, sometimes I do too but I'm not feeling it right now. It's hard to put into words but I feel like Love Between the plot and story exists to facilitate the romance instead of the plot happens and while the various characters are working towards goals, some romance stories happen between main characters, side characters.

Fights break sphere, the long ballad, story of yanxi palace

Hello! I was looking for an opinion on what I should start first. I am thinking of The Story of Yanxi Palace or The Story of Ming Lan. Which one would you recommend?

Ten:

Hello! I was looking for an opinion on what I should start first. I am thinking of The Story of Yanxi Palace or The Story of Ming Lan. Which one would you recommend?

Both are great choices and very long.  I guess it depends if you feel like a palace harem drama or a slice-of-life family drama.  A smart and cunning FL, or a smart but quietly-waiting-for-her-chance FL. The pacing of Yanxi is faster than Ming Lan.  But both are excellent choices.  What are you in the mood for?

Ten:

Hi Ten, well i only watched The Story of Ming Lan but it's still on my phenomal list. So I recommend it :)

Ten:

I watched The Story of Minglan first. These two dramas are really gooooooood and also both are lengthy. Given by chance again, I'll rewatch Minglan first and Yanxi after. Ming Dynasty comes first from Qing Dynasty. XD 

Thank you for all the replies. I decided to start with The Story of Ming Lan. Thank you all once again! :D

Ten:

Thank you for all the replies. I decided to start with The Story of Ming Lan. Thank you all once again! :D

Enjoy ^_^

What's the topic of discussion for September ? It would be nice to add the list to one of the first posts of the club by the way.

kYuBin:

What's the topic of discussion for September ? It would be nice to add the list to one of the first posts of the club by the way.

Thanks for the timely reminder on the Mid-Autumn Festival (Chinese), Chuseok (Korean), Tsukimi (Japanese) celebrating the Full Moon by many Asian countries. Incidentally, the Discussion Topic for September is Scenic September!

Scenic September
Appreciating scenery, (filming) sets and cinematography

Happy Mid-Autumn/Moon Festival!

Scenic September - let me see.  I have a bad memory so these are the titles that pop up in my head and in my monthly overview (in no particular order).

1. The Longest Day in Chang'An
  2. LuoYang
  3. The Red Sleeve
  4. Lovers of the Red Sky
  5. Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning (or any Kenshin movies)
  6. Bulgasal
  7. Love like the Galaxy
  8. The Wind Blows from Longxi (others think the drama is too dark but I am a big fan of natural lighting, even if it's dark)

Then there are a bunch of xianxia dramas- but the great cinematography is due to special effects and not necessarily directing.  For example:

1. The Blue Whisper
  2. Love between Fairy and Devil
  3. Ancient Love Poetry

In conjunction with the Moon Festival and Scenic September discussion, i read up a bit on the symbolism of moon in dramas/films. Incidentally, moons are often depicted in dramas/films not only for aesthetic, artsy, poetry reasons (especially in historical dramas), but to also convey symbolic context and meaning.

According to Miller's Guild, there are 12 spiritual meanings of the Moon:

1. Femininity - as opposed to the Sun that represents masculinity.
  2. Cyclical Nature of the Universe - the moon phases viz new moon > waxing moon > full moon > waning moon > new moon symbolises the cycle of birth, aging, death and rebirth.
  3. Human Lifecycle - the new moon symbolises birth, waxing moon represents our progress towards adulthood, full moon symbolizes the prime of our lives, after which a decline.
  4. The Passing of Time
  5. Hidden Influence - affecting the tides
  6. Emotions - some people and animals (e.g. wolves) can become more active, irritated or emotional around the time of the full moon
  7. Balance, Yin / Yang, Dark / Light with the Sun
  8. Our Subconscious Mind
  9. Astrology, Cancer, The Crab
  10. Illumination 
  11. Darkness and Mystery - i.e. witching hour
  12. Love - i think this is connected to the tale of Chang'E, Chinese Goddess of the Moon

The pic i have included in my previous post is from the Alchemy of Souls (AoS), and incidentally according to HanCinema, the pic is a special poster released following the premiere of its 12th episode to commemorate that episode's most significant event: when Jang Uk and Mudeok do not perceive each other as master and maid, but as man and woman. So in this context, the moon symbolises love.

In The Untamed, the two leads of completely different temperaments, had their first argument and duel on the rooftop under the moonlight that ended in a draw. The Moon appears to symbolise balance and illumination - how both characters balance and illuminate each other's life.

Are there any other moon scenes in historical dramas that you recalled and what do you think are those moon scenes conveying?

Wow what an interesting analysis @Wish Upon A Star. I'll definitely have to keep a closer eye out for moon scenes. 

I'm not sure, but I think there was a memorable moon scene in Gumiho: Tale of the Fox's Child. It was a really interesting fantasy drama, but for whatever reason I lost interest. But I still remember elements of it, so I guess it left a strong impression. In this context, the moon more likely was a reference to emotion and transformation. Darkness and Mystery also likely since it is about the gumiho after all. 

Yup def going to have to keep my eye out for future moon scenes! How fun ^_^