Matriception:

I am so sorry but that looks straight out of a horror movie

honestly just the fact that she has a romance novel titled "sister" is already horrifying

MizMystixism:
Girl, same. I only watched the first episode, but since the theme and everything about it didn't sit well with me from the beginning, I simply stopped. As much as I want to continue watch it because of Faye, I can't. I just can't. lol

exactly like im very sure the actresses are very talented and they seem to have really good chemistry from what ive seen of them, if they were in any other story i would definitely watch it! but in the context of this story, i just cant

MizMystixism:
Unlock Your Love is an original series too. And their company/team gain well-deserved recognition without having to rely on novel adaptations.  

omg forgot about Unlock Your Love!! but yes this one will be good! i thought the chemistry between bmine and near improved a lot in the pilot!

Alice Balbo:
wait,I didn't watch Blank but... Are really the 2 girls both lovers and  Mon step-sisters?  And One of them Is even Sam sister?  So this means also Mon and Sam are relatives?

no, in blank they aren't stepsisters (but they have a wild age gap while one of the girls is still in high school, so honestly don't know which is worse). Neung from blank is Sam's sister (she is also in Gap, but is played by a different actress). and Mon and Sam are not relatives, thank god. the novels that have step-sister relationship are apparently Sister and Rolling in Love.

i believe the confusion was with the "sister in law" arrow! your sibling in law is the significant other of your sibling (the term in english is indeed misleading), doesn't actually mean they're related

I'm glad Planoy's works are getting adapted and hope she's enjoying her well deserved international success. 

She's a very prolific author in terms of thai GL (maybe the most prolific?) so it makes sense they'd go for her works (my thai speaking friend also says there aren't nearly as many thai GL novels as BL and if they keep adapting them at this rate, they'll soon run out lol So it's not exactly like she's "stealing" opportunities from other authors but rather that it wouldn't make sense to not go for her novels when they make up a huge chunk of the available GL source material). 

I wasn't sure if GAP was a stroke of luck but Blank confirmed to me it wasn't. She doesn't write masterpiece plots for sure (have yet to see a thai GL with a solid plot tbh...) but she can write couples with good chemistry and that's more than I can say for many of the GL I've watched. 

Can't wait for Dream and Pluto!

Angrialee:

I'm glad Planoy's works are getting adapted and hope she's enjoying her well deserved international success. 

She's a very prolific author in terms of thai GL (maybe the most prolific?) so it makes sense they'd go for her works (my thai speaking friend also says there aren't nearly as many thai GL novels as BL and if they keep adapting them at this rate, they'll soon run out lol So it's not exactly like she's "stealing" opportunities from other authors but rather that it wouldn't make sense to not go for her novels when they make up a huge chunk of the available GL source material). 

I wasn't sure if GAP was a stroke of luck but Blank confirmed to me it wasn't. She doesn't write masterpiece plots for sure (have yet to see a thai GL with a solid plot tbh...) but she can write couples with good chemistry and that's more than I can say for many of the GL I've watched. 

Can't wait for Dream and Pluto!

Im glad that youve liked her works and look forward to her future ones. I think many of us will be tuning in regardless of her reputation (which is bad even among Thai audiences, no matter how many works she puts out) for at least these first few while more GLs hit the market. And her works are on track to be many people’s intro to Thai GL dramas - GAP was the first full-length one afterall. And i hear that the changes they made to Blank (just like with GAP) were generally well received by watchers. 

As for actor chemistry, it’s partly the source material and script, but also about the director and cast. Thats why many GLs dont perform well in the chemistry scale - lack of funding, and inexperienced cast and crew who dont quite get how to make things come alive through video and feel natural yet. GAP and Blank had established actresses as well as lengthy workshop periods and a longer filming period than many GLs on the market right now.

I dont think that her works being adapted are necessarily stealing opportunities, im confident that we as an audience can prove the viability of this genre, but there is a fear that with so many of her works being immediately adapted and even prioritized, the tone might become (or even already be) set that Planoy is the common denominator, rather than it being GL or the effort being used to produce Planoy’s works.

Im always partial to an expansive storyworld (one of the big reasons i watch all of Mame’s works, and a feature that we see quite a bit in the Thai webnovel scene) so I’m quite interested in seeing how everyone connects in these adaptations - though im a bit wary about all the different studios and their different ways of changing the source material to be more palatable and adaptable to a TV audience (another reason that perhaps Planoy should take after Mame and make her own studio).

Another thing to consider here though: while Planoy is having no trouble getting her multiple novels in contracts and getting funded, the Be Mine series is struggling to pull the money to even enter production - causing many cast members to leave for other opportunities. So there does appear to already be a situation of favoritism to Planoy and her success, that is leaving other fan-anticipated GLs in the dust. So even setting aside Planoy’s reported reputation for problematic elements, I get where people are angry at just how quickly/easily she’s getting all her works on the screen.

But anyway, im always glad when people find something they like, so i’m happy that you liked those dramas and anticipate the many new ones. ^-^ and thank you for speaking up as well. I know there are several people in this club who have mentioned GAP being their first and/or favorite GL drama, so I would love to see more feedback from Planoy/GAP-verse fans and their anticipation for the new dramas coming up and being announced/rumored.

I myself quite like the plot of Dream. One of my old fantasy phases was all about dreamwalking and dream-meeting. Little me would definitely be bubbling with excitement lol. And the posters are to die for. Cant wait for the 3rd one to release next week!

AthenaTheStorierX:
Another thing to consider here though: while Planoy is having no trouble getting her multiple novels in contracts and getting funded, the Be Mine series is struggling to pull the money to even enter production - causing many cast members to leave for other opportunities. So there does appear to already be a situation of favoritism to Planoy and her success, that is leaving other fan-anticipated GLs in the dust.

THIS!

Other than Be Mine: The Series, there are a few GLs that were announced months ago (or maybe years ago) like Girl Love Girlfriend, About Galaxy, and SKIU: The Series, but sadly have made little to no progress due to financial issues. 

Those who don't like Planoy's work are probably not even up to 5% of the GL fan population, so it may not affect the GL market much if they choose not to watch any of her adaptations, but like Athena said, it's unfair for other authors, studios and cast members to face such a situation due to favoritism.  

Dream 2nd teaser is out.

MizMystixism:

THIS!

Other than Be Mine: The Series, there are a few GLs that were announced months ago (or maybe years ago) like Girl Love Girlfriend, About Galaxy, and SKIU: The Series, but sadly have made little to no progress due to financial issues. 

Those who don't like Planoy's work are probably not even up to 5% of the GL fan population, so it may not affect the GL market much if they choose not to watch any of her adaptations, but like Athena said, it's unfair for other authors, studios and cast members to face such a situation due to favoritism.  

SKIU-verse! My baby! May you see the light of day! *knife in the heart twists*

AthenaTheStorierX:

SKIU-verse! My baby! May you see the light of day! *knife in the heart twists*

For real i still think about skiu and thongfah x miewp nearly everyday... since they dropped those posters ive never been the same, i want them back

MizMystixism:

Dream 2nd teaser is out.

ITS GOOD i was not expecting THAT scene  but it definitely made me more interested!!!

Gmmtv 2024 part 2 officially announced for April 23rd!

Some actresses confirmed so far: View, Ciize, Kapook, Earn, Lookjun, Emi, Bonnie, Mook, Tu, Pat, Janhae, Prim, Piploy

Not attending: Milk, Love, June, Film, Namtan, Jane, Aye, Jamie

And since we were talking about Planoy, she retweeted View's announcement and a ViewJune video. Rumors that GMM has the rights to her novel Us have been circulating for over a year, so there's that possibility

Also, the adaptations of two novels by author Salmon were announced recently: Queendom and Built in Love! So maybe we could also get one (or both) of them.

Fingers crossed and let's hope for the best

@athenathestorierx (sorry it won't let me quote you cause the post is too long)

I was actually told by my thai speaking friends that the controversies were significantly more muted on the thai side of things compared to the west, as many of the tropes disliked by westerners are quite common in thai media. Also I believe that if she had a notable bad rep, they might've maybe attempted to adapt one or two of her novels at best but definitely not her entire catalog. This, I believe, more than anything, shows that while as any writer she surely has her critics, she's overrall more beloved than disliked in her homecountry.

Tbh I found the directing of both GAP and Blank quite weak (and some of the acting unconvincing too) and I say this as someone who ultimately enjoyed both. Also before GAP came out I heard people say that indeed the merit wasn't to be attributed to the source material but to other factors and lighting wouldn't strike twice... then Blank came out and that was popular too. And now Dream and especially Pluto are among the most anticipated GL... so while I don't discredit how much good directing and acting can contribute to the final result, I do believe there's a clear common denominator here and it's not the directors and actresses who are all different but rather that all these stories lead back to Planoy and she does know how to write entertaining couples.

Given that many non-Planoy novels and original stories are currently being worked on, I tend to believe that Be Mine's anomalous situation has much more to do with internal mismanagement rather than external factors.

Either way my ultimate hope for thai GL is for modern day stories not to triumph lol Horror, fantasy and historical is where it's at for me so I'd be happy to see more of that eventually. In the meantime I'll enjoy what's there that appeals to me, though I do just drop works I don't like, whether because of the author or other reasons.

As for the recent Dream teaser this had more personality than the first! I'm curious about the protagonists cause we haven't glimpsed much of their personalities yet.

And in my communication with thai friends and in following thai-language gl fan accounts, Planoy is pretty criticized. Ive no doubt that she has plenty of fans that defend her - as every single controversial author in the world does (pointed look at a few English language authors). But obviously our Thai-speaking circles are observing very different sides to the reception of her work. So i dont think we can make a blanket statement as to which side is more prevalent in Thailand.

I’d also like to point out that both GAP and Blank were altered from their source material in pretty prominent ways from what i hear, so there is absolutely something pretty large to be said about the screenwriting team (of which there is often more than the main one or two credited on MDL). I shouldve written “crew” instead of “director” - as we’ve criticized the director of GAP as well (he’s relatively new, and has a certain comedy lean).

“Lightning wouldn’t strike twice.” Id say its too soon to say that Planoy is the common denominator, as there are far too few GLs to make a decent sample size. The field is too small to allow lightning to strike much elsewhere. The only other completed full length thai GL is Love Senior, if i recall, and it was pretty clear the studio didnt really care about it, plus StarHunter hasn’t been the best lately in general. All the others have been mini-dramas, and unbroadcasted.

“anomalous”… o.O it’s not an anomaly. Did you see the message following mine? And we can add more to that list. And mismanagement is just as likely from the studios behind GAP and Blank, who were both new studios as well. (tho yes, i do think theres something going on behind-the-scenes with Be Mine too, considering the manner in which some of the cast has left)

All these new studios are coming out of the woodworks (yay) and are grabbing Planoy novels hoping to emulate the success of GAP, and their sponsors are doing the same. Studios and sponsors dont want to take the risk on this new industry of GLs without some sort of successful connotation (sense of safety) to their name already (“from the writer of GAP”) - which I get. And i’d argue that thats a big contributing factor to why her novels are being grabbed left and right, while other projects sit in limbo and are getting forgotten with every new gl announcement.

yayyy, i wanna join too! i'm happy that we're getting more and more gl dramas <3

nevin:

yayyy, i wanna join too! i'm happy that we're getting more and more gl dramas <3

Welcome!!

AthenaTheStorierX:
And i’d argue that thats a big contributing factor to why her novels are being grabbed left and right, while other projects sit in limbo and getting forgotten with every new gl announcement.

It is interesting to look which episodes of GAP are more popular. And that doesn't aply just to GAP. Those are mostly the episodes with kissing scenes. Most parts of GAP have around 10M views, but some parts even more than 40M. Part with grandma (angst) just 7M. Blank: standard number of views 1.5M, but a part with kiss has 2.3M - so the conclusion is, that people don't care much about deep story with angst and sad moments, they rather want an easy to watch story with a lot of cute moments and kisses. (me included)

So imho good story is the last thing that is important for gl drama to be popular. More important is the chemistry of main characters and the number of cute moments (hugs, cuddling, kisses... or just the atmosphere when viewers can feel their love in the air without them doing anything of above) and also the less evil side characters the story contains, the better. :)