Anjaly:

The more you travel the more u explore different opportunities.. sometimes a stranger we meets can inspire us in a different way. Maybe the natural beauty can wake up Ur hidden aesthetic abilities..hahhaaaa..

More importantly sometimes a food we taste can take give u a U-turn , what I mean to say is.. a journey can teach you a lots of lesson that a school can't give.

Giving an example.. my journeys have a lot of effect in the carrier I am pursuing. I found myself falling in love with exploring places, their culture and more importantly different languages. So I decided to pursue IFS ( Indian Foreign Service  ) which can fullfil all of my passion and my commitment towards my country. 

Hope you got what I am trying to say... If not feel free to ask.

Hmm interesting. Well I'll see what happens :) 

kura2ninja:

Ah, I see.

Because you've already considering studying Architecture before your  internship, I'm assuming that there's a certain something about it  that appeals to you. I think you need to re-articulate to yourself  what that certain something is, the more specific the better.

I also think distinction needs to be made between not having an interest in a field of study and not having an interest in the work related to that particular field. Maybe you just didn't like the kind of work done in an architectural firm, but it doesn't necessarily mean that you're not interested in other kinds of work that someone with an architecture degree could do.

I'm sorry if I didn't make any sense :p

Great advice!  Here is an example of how this observation of kura2ninja occurred in my career: In my second career (as a librarian), there are 3 main library settings: public library,  academic library,  and corporate library.  In public, we work with many types of people, help people find information,  and loan both entertainment and educational materials to customers.  In academic libraries, librarians work with students and professors, TEACH them how to find information themselves, and provide primarily educational / research materials and data.  In corporate libraries, librarians work with office workers, often do research for them and even will analyse and compile this information into a research packet.  

There are also many different roles in every library: customer service, technical service  (like taking a book and putting info in an online catalog so people can search for it), collections (analyze the customer needs and buy materials), marketing, student education, etc. There are even Solo Librarians who do everything  (like church librarians or some hospital librarians).

* I think many areas of study and work have this sort of diversity. *

I found a job I LOVE by volunteering at a tiny rural library, where the librarian did everything.  I learned I like this work and that I do NOT want to be such a Solo Librarian. I borrowed professional magazines and found out there were certain jobs in librarianship that sounded fun and others that sounded boring. I then asked many librarians many questions.  

I agree with what others here suggest: try many things, ask questions, you won't like everything about every job. While some folks can make their hobby their job, many folks can't.  Finding stuff you like to do takes time and experimentation. It can be a struggle sometimes and it can be fun.  And, yes, many folks do find a job that they can tolerate and that pays well, so during their off-hours they can afford to do what they are passionate about ( like watching dramas). 

I can tell you the hard work to figure things out can payoff. I had another career first. Then, studied for librarianship. Did different library jobs for 10 years, then finally made it into the area I have wanted to work since I  began.  On most days I really like what I do.  

Good luck in your search! 

@melomane

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and typing up such a long response! 

Hm asking questions. I think that's some great advice. I'm more of a shy person who doesn't like to ask questions because I feel socially awkward, but I will be sure to push myself to do so. as I do find this point of my life an important time for me to work on finding my future career. Thanks once again! :) 

Are you already studying architecture at the college/university level or are still about to start studying? Either way, you can decide on a 180 degree turn or stay on but find something different to do in the same field. At times opportunity will also present itself in the future regarding a change of job. Don't be afraid to make that decision after weighing things.

Here's some words of advice based on my personal experience.

Try to weigh your academic abilities with your interests. My highest marks were in Mathematics  (I spent more time with the subject because I almost did not make it to honor roll because of it in the past) but I loathed it. Engineering then was out of the question, even if I had potential.

Be practical: I loved English and was good at it (I was immediately made literary editor of our school paper - the position I wanted - although I never worked on the staff before as I finally summoned the courage to apply for  position in senior year) but I knew a career in it was out of the question and would not make me happy as it would be hard to make it big in that profession as well as make it work out financially. Writing fiction was and still is my hobby (I mostly write poetry nowadays). 

Internship gives you a fresh perspective and helps you fine-tune your choices. I set my heart on becoming a medical oncologist, did undergraduate studies in biology and went to medical school. During senior clerkship year, while rotating in internal medicine (to be a medical oncologist, you have to go through residency in internal medicine), I found myself looking at my resident and thinking, "I cannot do her job". Lucky for me, I was already thinking of other options early on, so I moved my second choice, radiology to first choice position and never looked back.

Good Luck!

BTW, I also uses to ghostwrite for an online advice column back in med school to earn some extra cash. It's always been a guilty pleasure of mine to give out pieces of advice when I come across people asking for some.  :-)

@jaaraf

Funny! My highest marks these days are in math as well. But I'm not a science person. So I'm lost as to what I should do. I currently go to college as an Architect major. My school is mostly an art and design school, so if I do decide to go out of it, I would have to transfer schools.

And thanks for the advice! I appreciate it!

work for dramafever or viki!

JoanneSmith:

work for dramafever or viki!

Hmm never thought about it! But I think that'd be something I would be interested in.  But I need a degree first...

Weirdestone:

@jaaraf

Funny! My highest marks these days are in math as well. But I'm not a science person. So I'm lost as to what I should do. I currently go to college as an Architect major. My school is mostly an art and design school, so if I do decide to go out of it, I would have to transfer schools.

And thanks for the advice! I appreciate it!

You're welcome! 

Hmmm.  If you want stay in the same school, maybe something more artistic like interior design may be up your alley. If you want to go the technical route (math is always involved in that)  you might want to shift to civil engineering. You can also stay in architecture but not do the particular work you don't like. Personally, I actually don't like doing anything surgical but it's a small part of my practice. 

JoanneSmith:

good luck !  

Thank you! :)

jaaraf:

You're welcome! 

Hmmm.  If you want stay in the same school, maybe something more artistic like interior design may be up your alley. If you want to go the technical route (math is always involved in that)  you might want to shift to civil engineering. You can also stay in architecture but not do the particular work you don't like. Personally, I actually don't like doing anything surgical but it's a small part of my practice. 

If it's a matter of majoring in interior design or architecture, I'd rather be an architect, bc if I happen to not like doing architecture, I can always go to interior design later. However if I major in interior design, then it will be difficult for me to become an architect if I decide to change my route. 

Weirdestone:

If it's a matter of majoring in interior design or architecture, I'd rather be an architect, bc if I happen to not like doing architecture, I can always go to interior design later. However if I major in interior design, then it will be difficult for me to become an architect if I decide to change my route. 

That makes a lot oof sense. In the mean time, just endure the part of the job that does not appeal to you, but you are required to do. At the same time,  enjoy the aspects of the work that you love. Once you are done with your degree,  you can be free to choose to focus mainly on interior design or architecture or something else entirely. It's just a matter of a few years. You have your whole lifetime ahead of you.

jaaraf:

That makes a lot oof sense. In the mean time, just endure the part of the job that does not appeal to you, but you are required to do. At the same time,  enjoy the aspects of the work that you love. Once you are done with your degree,  you can be free to choose to focus mainly on interior design or architecture or something else entirely. It's just a matter of a few years. You have your whole lifetime ahead of you.

Thank you! :) 

I second the travel suggestion! I really floundered in purpose my young adult years because my life experience was so narrow in perspective. I spent a couple years travelling around, meeting people and it really challenged my perception of purpose. If you have  passion for architecture just sitting back and observing form and function of design outside your comfort zone might give you inspiration. Sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees and broadening our horizons can bring the bigger picture back into focus. 

As much as I love drama, kpop, anime, manga, ect I realize those are my happy places I go to decompress. I try to keep my career direction separate from those things because of that. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to projects and obsessive when I'm creating something. Stepping away is critical at times!  Being able to mindlessly love my happy place helps me clear my emotional palate for balance. That way when I return to tasks at hand I am energized with new ideas and fresh perspectives. 

Honestly, a good career choice balances necessity with aptitude. You don't have to love your job to be good at it, but being good at something really makes life easier when it comes to helping provide  for the necessities ha ha! There is nothing wrong with not being passionate about your career. If you buy a house location and a solid foundation are much more important than the color of the walls! You can improve those cosmetic things after you increase your ability. Ask yourself what do I really need to live in this choice? It might not be everything you dreamed of but if you have a good starting point the possibilities are often limited by your effort and the determination you have to improve things. Good luck and positive energy sent your way! 

I'm going to college in language thing because I'm a big fan of Asia and I have English; French, Chinese and Japanese ^^ Could also pick Korean but to find a work it wasn't really the best sadly.
And you have economics, law and translation within the thing, maybe you could find something like this if you love dramas ?