• +1 Leverage
  • +1 Lost
  • Forever
  • Scrubs
  • Brooklyn-99

Also might be a bit too gory/dark but I'd love to see a remake of Hannibal.

The vampire diaries 

Although this has been a fun topic I have to say I  love Asian dramas because they are different from US ones.  I don’t watch procedurals or medical shows for the most part. And I don’t watch shows with no one to root for, where everyone is basically awful.  I’ve lost pretty much all interest in US tv.   If it weren’t for The Good Place and The Great British Bake-off I wouldn’t be watching anything in English except the news.  : )

Western and Asian dramas share many themes -the hero’s journey, love conquers all, love  sucks, people are basically good, people suck, etc.  But there is just a different take on the themes.  I also like that there is a limited number of episodes so that stories can be tied up-theoretically.  Doesn’t always stop the WTF endings but shows also don’t wear out their welcome. They aren’t afraid to include “old” people and everyone eats!

I can’t imagine some of the creative, romantic stories I’ve watched being on US tv like -Eternal Love (TMOPB), the Eternal Love, Rise of the Phoenixes, noona romances, Goblin,  Just Between Lovers-right off the top of my head.  

So while I would love to see a different take on western shows I don’t want the stories to be westernized and lose what I love about Asian dramas.  If any of that makes sense. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for starting this topic. It’s been thought provoking. 

Shxxkz199:

The vampire diaries 

Yes....I was going to name that one too and any other good vampire drama 

• Grimm
  • Castle 
  • Psych
 Laura:

Well, yeah, there are plenty of Leverage-esque dramas and movies, but I still want a specific Leverage remake. With the specific characters and relationship dynamics and multiple women. But it turns out that it's actually already happening??! In, like, a month?? I'm personally not super excited about the casting, but I'm still looking forward to it! And I'll check out Mad Dog in the mean time, lol :)

I am excited to see the Korean version too since I loved the American show....there is a British show called Hustle   that actually is similar too that came out before Leverage .....the Korean show Player is also similar to Leverage 

Gran hotel (Spanish)

Trust:

A korean version of American Horror Story Season 1/2 

I agree with you. :) Also, Money Heist and Black Mirror.

Not a Fan of remakes. 

... but I would be pysched if Dark Angel  was continued. Was super sad when the drama was discontinued. Japan would probably be best to remake it, with the cloning and stuff. But after Duel and Circle, I guess Korean remake would be great also. 

When I was young, I loved loved loved Roswel, sadly it was only on air for 3 seasons and the narrative at season 3 was super awkward and unsatisfying. I know there is a current American remake for it, but I haven't tried it yet, cause I don't think they can surpass the Max and Liz chemistry of the original. But would be curious to see a Korean version. I think the way Korea focuses on romance would be apt for max and liz romance. 

Thirdly, I've been seeing so many clips of a Norwegian drama Skam. And the clips have been so good. I wish it's on Netflix cause I can't seem to get the full video. I know it's been remade by a couple of countries ( France, Germany, USA, Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark). Would be curious to see a Japanese or Thai Remake of this show. 

Hadeeqa:

Ugly Betty 

Younger 

We had Ugly Betty remake in the Philippines.. the title was I love Betty La Fea but it was based on the original Colombian drama (we had a couple more remakes of those telenovelas because we knew Spanish dramas way before we had Asian dramas)

+1 Psych and +1 Alias (to Korean Remakes)

The Office (as Japanese Remake.. though I saw I think an SNL sketch of The Office US into Japanese, it’s weirdly funny, idk)

Big Bang Theory (Korean or Chinese)

@Czakhareina

Yes to Dark Angel! Another strong female role. 

And it might be fun to see Xena remade with Asian instead of Greek mythology.   Not sure her brand of independence would go over in the Cdrama world but maybe J, T or Kdrama. 

Gossip Girl 

Hahaha 

I would love to see an Korean or Chinese adaptation (drama) of the following tv-series.
- White Collar (2009)
- Dollhouse (2009)
- Jane The Virgin (2014)
- Second Chance (2016)

And an Korean or Chinese adaptation (drama) of the following movies.
- Love Potion No. 9 (1992)
- Miss Congeniality (2000)

- Maid in Manhatten (2002)

The problem is I think most shows done in Western TV usually have some sort of equivalent. Or part of the selling point is how 'real' and 'gritty' they are with violence, sexuality which is basically a no-go in most Asian countries.

I guess I'll throw in two shows I enjoy that don't really have a close comparison:

Heroes - follows a bunch of young men and women who develop superpowers and how their destinies intertwine.

Dominion - kind of like a modern day biblical tale.  Angels literally exist in the show. Demons literally exist. God has been missing. A great war has happened - humans and some angels vs. demons and some angels. So you have these almost wartime city strongholds, they've lost most of the country & world. They're holding on against a demon onslaught but barely and it's about finding the one or ones who can save the world. So maybe we can get some sort of Korean or Chinese or Japanese religion/folkore. A modern day fantasy as opposed to the historical ones you see out of China as an example.