I tried a new twist on two old favorites.  We love roasted cauliflower.  I adapted a recipe I found for our tastes. CAULIFLOWER WITH PEPPERONCINI AND ALMONDS The basic premise of this recipe (from Taste of Home Magazine) is to tear a head of cauliflower into small flowerets, add sliced pepperoncini peppers and sliced almonds, salt, pepper and your choice of spices with a splash of your preferred vinegar and enough olive oil to coat.  Toss together on a cookie sheet (I always cover the pan in parchment paper) and bake at 430 degree F/221C until turning golden brown.  Pretty good.  :)

The other day when I shopped and bought tortillas I also bought a small container of  sour cream and small square of cheddar cheese for my tex-mex black bean meals (black bean tacos and the next day black bean quesadillas).  I opened the sour cream but we didn't end up using much of it.  What to do?  I found a recipe on-line for sour cream biscuits.  Instead of butter and milk, you just add sour cream to the classic biscuit recipe.  Honestly, they sounded bland.  I had some dried cranberries and some walnuts in the frig that needed to be used so I threw them into the mix and added a little sugar. I used a small biscuit cutter which gave me a lot of mini-biscuits. They don't have the classic biscuit texture but they ended up being good. I gilded the lily by giving them a kiss of butter and sugar as they came out of the oven.  I enjoyed one with a cup of hibiscus tea.  :)   My husband is letting my quarantine and holiday indulgences slide when I break with the mostly plant based diet he tries to adhere to.  Plus he doesn't have to eat them if he doesn't want to.  They are going into the freezer for tea time or breakfast. Waste not, want not.  ;)

SOUR CREAM BISCUITS WITH DRIED CRANBERRIES AND WALNUTS

jen in full blown kid mode after stressy days. smile on face but with 'naughty' foods - cheese hot dogs (even worse for you than regular?), fruit punch powerade (on sale and used coupon ;) ), peanut butter m&ms and egg shaped york (markdown ;) dark chocolate covered peppermint patty)

got dozen eggs to hard boil. go figure plenty after easter

adulting - drank pomegranate cranberry water kefir to balance later haha xp

After midnight No cooking High Protein Low Fat Low Carbs Snack (Also, Low Noise lol to not wake up other people living in your house XD )

1/2 of a yogurt 

A handful of nuts (walnuts & almonds) 

1 dried fig 

1 small banana 

Nutmeg, freshly ground pepper (not cinnamon on purpose, cause I wanted to make it more savoury than sweet)

Tonite I had a grilled chicken Asian salad that I make regularly. Usually I steam and pull the chicken, but this time a marinated it an Asian vinegrette and grilled...then served on a bed of mixed greens , shredded cabbage, lots of fresh cilantro and mandarin oranges in a sesame rice wine vinegar dressing.  Topped with a combo of toasted slivered almonds and toasted sesame seeds.

As a side dish, I made medallions of acorn squash (slices) roasted in olive oil, maple syrup and some brown sugar. I used this recipe and it was fast, delicious and pretty: https://addapinch.com/maple-roasted-acorn-squash-recipe/

should be in bed. so quick pop in

used up gluten free chicken nuggets with daiya cheddar sprinkled on top, pink lady apple, passionfruit/pineapple layered fruit bars and another meal used up daiya cheddar with brown rice and curry powder

Last 2 days were basically spend cooking, in preparation for Easter Sunday (tomorrow for us here).. I could go on in length about our traditions & Easter foods, but I'll just make it easier for you (and me) and post some pictures of what one would find in a typical Easter table in Crete (at least when pandemic-free)... 

Lamb Fricassee: Braised lamb/goat meat with egg-lemon sauce & local greens or lettuce
Chania's Kreatotourta - Easter Meat Pie: A pie made out of lamb or goat meat, 3 different kinds of local white cheeses, gravy & herbs/spices
Mageiritsa, a soup made out of entrails, liver, and other (disgusting for me, lol) parts of meat
Grilled Lamb with potatoes, in the oven
Tsigariasto, or Sfakiano Yachni: Lamb (yes, again!) sautéed & cooked in a pot on the stovetop
Chania's Easter Kaltsounia: Small pies with local white cheeses, egg & spearmint, baked in the oven
More Kaltsounia (they can also been made with herbs/greens/spinach, or a combination of greens & cheeses)
Even More Kaltsounia (they can also been fried instead of baked)The Sweets:
Tsoureki: A kind of rich, sweet, aromatic bread

Paschalina Koulourakia - Easter Cookies

And of course the dyed red eggs:

(All images are taken from the internet & are the property of their respective owners not mine, since I cannot upload my own)

@Estelll (can’t get the system to quote for me tonight)

That is a feast!  I wish I was there to crash your family gathering (during a non-pandemic time) and taste those yummy looking dishes. Thank you for sharing!  :)

The Butterfly:

@Estelll (can’t get the system to quote for me tonight)

That is a feast!  I wish I was there to crash your family gathering (during a non-pandemic time) and taste those yummy looking dishes. Thank you for sharing!  :)

Well, we aren't getting all these foods this Easter!! Usually, all the extended family is gathering in one table & everyone bring their own food, so it's an actual feast (for my own family, it's over 20 people usually, and that number is when just 3 households gather :'D )!!! Of course, in this pandemic era, gathering is impossible -- forbidden & punished by the law, and unwise even if it wasn't punished for!

So, yesterday, my mother made tsourekia, today my father made-readied the meat, and me & my mother started on the traditional pies (kaltsounia & kreatotourta), which will be ready tomorrow after all... (Of course we'll also make a salad or two, don't worry, we don't plan to die from a heart attack just yet LOL)

And we didn't even dye eggs -- the purpose of these is that everyone chooses one & we knock each other's egg: whoever turns out with an unbroken egg at the end, is the winner (and supposedly lucky)!!

Our family Christmases used to be like that. I’d like a slice of pie—-Do you want apple, pumpkin, coconut, chocolate, cherry, or banana cream? :D  Everyone brought several dishes and desserts.  

I hope you all have a wonderful Easter during this challenging time. :)

The Butterfly:
Our family Christmases used to be like that. I’d like a slice of pie—-Do you want apple, pumpkin, coconut, chocolate, cherry, or banana cream? :D Everyone brought several dishes and desserts.

Ach, the enviable American pies, one of the few American foods I'm totally conceding for you guys!! :D (That, and New York cheesecake, European cheesecakes suck!! ...Oh, I also forgot, the pancakes! With Canadian maple syrup, if you please!!) 

The Butterfly:
I hope you all have a wonderful Easter during this challenging time. :)

Thank you very much!!! You too, I hope you live well each day, together with your loved ones!! :)

@estelll inspiring!  Thanx for the details too :D

made a big batch (so i can watch and not get up) chicken, brown rice, ginger, butternut squash puree and mango/coconut milk/carrot/shredded coconut/turmeric puree

@estelll wow what a delicious looking feast! Which one of those is your favourite?

I've been spending most of my time cooking and gardening these days (and watching dramas of course).  Finally went grocery shopping again and was able to get some ingredients to make lasagna since I promised my sister I would make it for her. I like to make my own meat sauce and this time I added diced mushrooms, carrots and bell peppers. My sisters came to help assemble the layers once everything was ready (its the only part they actually like helping out with lol). Had it with a side of grilled asparagus (which I cant believe I got on sale at the store for 25 cents a bunch!). 

rice is hard to find at 2 of 3 groceries i went to. should have bought more instant brown rice boxes at aldi. well anyway i got jasmine rice to make. plan to clean up rice cooker and make it with coconut milk. wish me luck?!