Hi Everyone, I need help!!!! 

Due to the current situation and staying at home, i have fallen into hyper 'Binge-watching' dramas. My addiction of watching dramas started off with a random romantic drama MV from 'Noble, My love' that single video & thanks to youtube recommendations, before i could realized, i started googling best Korean dramas to watch. Started with 'The Inheritors'  to the most recent 'Love Equations' 

I fell in & out of the this zone. I would be awake all night...finishing all 16 eps, Procrastinating, watching videos in between classes & work, play OST loud while driving, trying to learn commonly used Korean words, introduction to K-pop and the addiction started and i finally evolved into a Korea-boo(Apparently, Folks who are into Korean stuff - Dramas, K-pop are called Korean-boo s) 

Drama world is beautiful with lot of hopes, possibilities, miracles and all good fantasy things. I smile, laugh, cry, feel elated when immersed into this world. BUT i have been slowly harming myself in this 'beautiful' world. No sleep, over eating, procrastination, less social interaction, trying to act like characters in dramas, ignoring the most important stuff in real life & a lot more. I see signs of depression in me, finding solace in these hypothetical world of dramas. I wouldn't blame dramas got me into this state.

Don't get me wrong, i absolutely LOVE this world, love it too much may be. But, is it good for me in the long run? 

How are you dealing with this guilt, addiction, need? Kindly share your learnings & experiences.

Thank you for taking your time :) 

I relate to you quite a bit. I am a binge-watcher too and I have been binge-watching dramas for quite a while. This is evident from my stats (check it out in my profile). I agree that this addiction of mine is indeed unhealthy and I have been trying to change, though it has not been easy. 

For me, the most effective method thus far is to set some rules for myself. These are the rules. 

Weekdays: Build MDL profile / contribute to forums / watch variety shows
Weekends: Binge-watch through 1 / 2 dramas
Only start dramas on Saturdays. Do not start on any other days (especially Sundays).
Record progress in a table and evaluate success after a certain period of time.

I want to focus on my school/work during the weekdays and on Sundays and dedicate my Saturdays to drama watching. This compromise works to a certain extend (sometimes I still end up watching dramas on Sundays) but it has been the most effective so far. 

I somehow miraculously stopped watching dramas from mid 2018-late 2019, because i literally had no time coz of exams & work. But i fell into the loop again since nov 2019. 

True, i have to try imposing rules for watching. Recently i started watching currently airing dramas coz i have no choice but to wait for the episodes every week & with eng subs coming in late, it rather effective in stopping my nerves & curiosity. 

You really do have a great self control & discipline. I will try it too. Thank you so much :) 

bubblesdramagirl:
Recently i started watching currently airing dramas coz i have no choice but to wait for the episodes every week & with eng subs coming in late, it rather effective in stopping my nerves & curiosity. 

I don't think I will be able to stand this hahaha. Afterall, curiosity kills the cat. 

bubblesdramagirl:
You really do have a great self control & discipline.

I highly doubt so lol

TRUE that! I have been watching currently airing Cdrama 'My Girl' and oh boy! im obsessively refreshing dramacool for eng subs. Argh!!! i can't wait for more episodes. BUT somehow i'm unable to find another drama with same vibes and since then i have been trying to find a good drama to watch and i couldn't nail down one.  

Everyone keeps recommending 'Love 020' on this platform. But somehow i cannot get myself to watch it :(

bubblesdramagirl:
TRUE that! I have been watching currently airing Cdrama 'My Girl' and oh boy! im obsessively refreshing dramacool for eng subs. Argh!!! i can't wait for more episodes. BUT somehow i'm unable to find another drama with same vibes and since then i have been trying to find a good drama to watch and i couldn't nail down one.  

I have not watched 'My Girl' so I can't give any recommendations yet. Will watch it when it finishes airing :))) 

bubblesdramagirl:
Everyone keeps recommending 'Love 020' on this platform. But somehow i cannot get myself to watch it :(

Sigh... alright then...

Yup, you should definitely watch 'My Girl' its has its cliches, but its different & funny. Also, i loved the pairing in their previous drama 'My youth' so im pretty biased too. 

One of the reasons of me dropping Love 020 is i used to find spoilers, scenes - especially the kissing scenes all the time on Youtube & Instagram & of course the curious kitty in me watched all those videos and in the end lost interest in watching it coz i felt i watched the most important stuff alread (you know what i mean) :P 

BUT I'm going to watch Love O2O again. This time around with fresh eyes :)

I'm in a similar boat where I'm binge watching way more as we're stuck in the house and naturally have nothing to do, so don't to feel too guilty about it and beat yourself up over it. Other people are doing the same thing! Controlling it is also a good thing to do though, and it's great you're thinking about doing so. 

I also personally think it would help if you put your dramas into a schedule of some sort that can keep your binging style but restrict it down. Just for example: I set mine to a certain amount of episodes I can watch in a day. It tends to be 2-4 eps usually and I'll watch a few more episodes occasionally when I know I've done everything I've needed to. (I also often pick up airing dramas since I can't binge watch them since there's no new episodes to binge.) That works for me and it may not for you, but maybe it can give you a few ideas?

Another thing that could maybe be handy is making alarms or a list when you wake up just to remind you at some point "have you eaten/done work/spoke to someone/etc?" or even a just "stop watching dramas now!" alarm could help you realise that you've been watching for too long and need to get on with something else.

@zalcu 

Thank you so much for the pointers. I know i shouldn’t beating myself about it but I think my addiction has reached another level, so I’m scared! 

Yes, I started watching airing ones. Though my curiosity is killing me...at least I’m not binge watching. 

Oh my god! The alarm/reminder might actually work. Never thought of it. I’m going to set those reminders up and try to follow a strict schedule.

Wish me luck :) and thank you very much again 

Honestly, I've never felt guilty. My younger brothers like to laugh at me enjoying my "Asian shows", the irony being they too enjoy Asian shows in the form of Anime. However, even then I kind of just shrugged it off.  Binge watching is what helped me get through my classes a few years back, because of the way I studied, so I would study for an hour watch and episode, study for another our, and so on.

It's been a long time since I've really binge watched anything though. Now I usually end up doing two things at once, playing a game on my phone, (with everyone home) starting random conversations with the person in the next room, stepping outside for a few minutes, I always end up taking way too long to even finish a single episode now.

It's kind of come in handy picking up on words and phrases. I've worked with a number of Korean bosses and co-workers, and it was always interesting/funny to hear them talk, as I would sometimes find myself understanding a bit of what they were talking about. Sometimes my non-Korean co-workers would wonder what they are talking about and I would sometimes say "Probably *insert whatever I think they're talking about here*" and when they turned around to ask I would be in the right ball park. 

bubblesdramagirl:
Thank you so much for the pointers. I know i shouldn’t beating myself about it but I think my addiction has reached another level, so I’m scared!

Yes, I started watching airing ones. Though my curiosity is killing me...at least I’m not binge watching.

Oh my god! The alarm/reminder might actually work. Never thought of it. I’m going to set those reminders up and try to follow a strict schedule.

Wish me luck :) and thank you very much again 

No problem! I'm glad that something may be of help to you or at least trigger some new ways to help you. All the luck of sent to you from my way! :)