I have finished Jordan Peterson's "12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos".

Well, I wouldn't call this a "a self-help" book but rather a consolation text whenever you feel depressed and miserable. Though, I have to say, it was hard for me to get through the first rule (lobsters!). Nevertheless, the author makes some valid points and spot on comparisons throughout the chapters. My favourite is definitely "Set your house in order before you criticise the world". It's so easy to judge others and the environment around you, but one has to settle personal problems first before promoting a remedy for others.

This is my pick for the upcoming month-

Ebisuno92:

Well, I wouldn't call this a "a self-help" book but rather a consolation text whenever you feel depressed and miserable. Though, I have to say, it was hard for me to get through the first rule (lobsters!). Nevertheless, the author makes some valid points and spot on comparisons throughout the chapters. My favourite is definitely "Set your house in order before you criticise the world". It's so easy to judge others and the environment around you, but one has to settle personal problems first before promoting a remedy for others.

Haven't read this yet, so I'm looking forward to your review xD

penel:

Haven't read this yet, so I'm looking forward to your review xD

Thanks :) I will try to go into greater detail because the topic and structure of the book seem very interesting.

I know I said I was going to read a bunch of other books but I ended up reading this instead haha

It's a graphic novel about a US congressman who was part of the civil rights movement. I wish I read it last month just so I could say I read March in March haha, oh well. Interesting read. I'd heard about the nonviolence movement, but this was an interesting perspective. I don't know many movements that are as dedicated and prepared as this one was. 

Finished my books for April

Every Day is a Gift-Tammy Duckworth   Amazon.com: Every Day Is a Gift: A Memoir (9781538718506): Duckworth, Tammy: Books 

White Too Long:  The Legacy of White Supremacy in American Christianity   Amazon.com : white too long the legacy of white supremacy 

Both were fascinating reads.  I also finished a devotional book.

Have no idea what I'm reading for May.  Will go to my stack and see what looks good.  

I finished six books in April, mostly comfort reads which in this case were a bunch of Japanese crime novels and a Georgette Heyer book. My favorite, however, was Chan Ho-kei's Second Sister, which is basically about a private investigator with a gift for computer/internet hacking. It's his second book that I read and only his second novel translated into English. Chan has quickly become my new favorite writer, and I can only hope that more of his work will be available for non-Chinese speaking audience soon.

My one non-fiction read this month was Religion in China: Survival and Revival Under Communist Rule by Yang Fenggang. Yang is a sociologist and in his book, he tries to provide a theoretical framework with which to explain how religion manages to survive in PRC, despite heavy regulation (and downright ban). It's interesting enough, but given its nature, it only gives you a generalized account of how things are, so you really don't get much on-the-ground picture of the supposed religious vitality in China.

I finished Silent Reading by Priest this month. It has become my favorite from all the Priest's books I've read. I love the dynamics between the main couple, and also the police team. The mysteries they investigate are okay. It began with the usual thing: drug & corruption. As new crimes appear, it becomes intenser and interconnected with each other.

I haven't started on A Court of SilverFlames, the other book I've planned to read this month. After reading 1500+ pages of Silent Reading, I desperately need a break... lol.. so I do what I need to do: return to watching dramas. ^.^

I'll have A Court of Silver Flames as my May book.

Zhang Xin Cheng as Fei Du in "The Abyss", the drama adaptation of Silent Reading.

I have not been in the mood to read for a while now, since I finished Homo Sapiens by Harrari  somewhat in middle February , which I found interesting especially in the early chapters and he made some points that got me thinking (it's not like he could avoid over-simplification with how long a spectrum he attempts to cover). 

I feel Why nations fail by Acemoglu& Robinson did things better , but then it is quite concentrated in proving certain focused viewpoints. I saw @Bye  had picked it up at some point, wonder how it is going, I do need to reread it at some point, although it makes me feel my world history is not up to par.  If anyone has some interesting general history book to suggest for me to get the basics that would be great.

I am not worried about the reading slump , as I am the kind of person that can spend months not reading anything and then read a lot (binge-reading? is this a thing?)... It is just it might be quite some time before I  actually pick sth up , so my goals for the somewhat near but not sure when future would be: 

- The drama based on Silent Reading seems interesting , although it will take a while before it gets out... Looks like I'll have to start the book, although I 've dropped the only Priest book I attempted reading (the one Word of Honor was based on). @Vya van Velaris  your photo might get me to read sth before you all kick me out of here ...

- I watched Enola on Netflix lately, and it is actually based on a book? So, it looks like an easy young adult mystery read to spice my work-related/SPSS manual reading life up and the cover has me sold...

Enola-Holmes

- The labyrinth of the spirits by Carlos Ruiz Zafon for my not-ashamed-to-speak-about reading. I do love his writing but I know it starts quite slow and the thriller-like atmosphere he creates needs me to be mentally prepared.

PS. I send my respect to everyone reading a book every month. I am just not disciplined enough.

Bad_humour:
- The drama based on Silent Reading seems interesting , although it will take a while before it gets out... Looks like I'll have to start the book, although I 've dropped the only Priest book I attempted reading (the one Word of Honor was based on). @Vya van Velaris  your photo might get me to read sth before you all kick me out of here ...

Word of Honor is her earlier work, so it's definitely not a good measurement of her other books. Silent Reading is completely different. Give it a try. :)

Vya van Velaris:

Word of Honor is her earlier work, so it's definitely not a good measurement of her other books. Silent Reading is completely different. Give it a try. :)

Thanks :) I'll certainly do, as you 've said it has police cases, so at least I'll have the mystery to keep me going... I think I can be a little prejudiced at times, so it's good to know that the Faraway Wanderers book is not typical of her work.

Due to some health issues I faced this month, I didn't make much progress in many things - I only finished the book I started reading during March and haven't started the one picked for April yet :/

But yesterday, as if my sis knew my 2021 resolution about reading, she gifted me with 3 very intriguing books:  Una Madre by Alejandro Palomas, Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo and The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson.

So my plan is - if I feel better this week- to start reading one of these xD

Lady Nimue:

Thank you! 

This book actually made me a masochist and it made me want to check out Rebecca.

sorry to but in in the conversation >< but I've read Rebecca and its a little boring book, boring like the first 100 pages of Lord of the Rings with a bunch of flowers descriptions for example, but there is some good characters in the history and by the end the plot gets really good 

Ebisuno92:

The quote makes me want to read it, I've read some books from him and he is good in writing almost "self-help" books 

kura2ninja:
I finished six books in April, mostly comfort reads which in this case were a bunch of Japanese crime novels and a Georgette Heyer book. My favorite, however, was Chan Ho-kei's Second Sister, which is basically about a private investigator with a gift for computer/internet hacking. It's his second book that I read and only his second novel translated into English. Chan has quickly become my new favorite writer, and I can only hope that more of his work will be available for non-Chinese speaking audience soon.

My one non-fiction read this month was Religion in China: Survival and Revival Under Communist Rule by Yang Fenggang. Yang is a sociologist and in his book, he tries to provide a theoretical framework with which to explain how religion manages to survive in PRC, despite heavy regulation (and downright ban). It's interesting enough, but given its nature, it only gives you a generalized account of how things are, so you really don't get much on-the-ground picture of the supposed religious vitality in China.

Ohh I'm curious which Georgetter Heyer book you read?  your month books all look interesting for me, will search some of them on amazon 

fiflydramalover:

I really love mydramalist... I wish there was a website like this for books. And no one say GoodReads, it's not the same :( 

Agree o//