well if manga is a book then I read many lol

JJChastity:

If you're counting shoujo and shoumen ai, I can join the race XD

penel:

When I was younger and single, I could read a book a day... now I'll be happy to finish a book a month xD

['guilty pleasures': why focus on 'guilty' and not on 'pleasures'?]

I used to read 2 books a week when I was younger. 

Ofcourse. Pleasure is pleasure ;)

Another Stranger :

《My February pick》

'All The Light We Cannot See' by Anthony Doerr
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18143977-all-the-light-we-cannot-see

I've been putting off reading this one as it's a slow burn story & an emotionally demanding one but I want to complete this one in winter (cuz the mood...ok, it's hard to explain)

Its quite a hard read, not about the 530 pgs, but the painful plot (I'm super sensitive & could perhaps leave my tears on every page) But I've decided to take it on, so there's no turning back. 

"I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over & through me. And when it has gone past, I'll turn the inner eye to see its path. When the fear has gone, there is/ will be nothing. Only I will remain" 

- Frank Herbert in the book Duke.

This is one book I want to try but I haven't because of, like you said, the emotionally demanding nature. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

JJChastity:

it is, but I will try novels and such here o// 

Drama Fairy :

February challenge : https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22571696-obsession-in-death

Thanks Penel for bringing this challenge. Good to be back with the books. 

About this book : Its a mystery / thriller plus some detective work by Ms Eva Dallas :). Fighting  to finish it.

Have you been reading the full series? I read the first book years ago and liked it but didn't continue because of another series I was reading at the time.

Ebisuno92:

This is what I want to start (February):

The Red Sari by Javier Moro

I bought the book years ago in preparation for my MA thesis. I only read selected chapters. Never had the time to go through the whole thing. It is basically a biography of the Nehru-Gandhi family.

Oh, this one looks really interesting! I'm taking note :)

Poia:

Completed between December and Jenuary "METRO 2033", first book of a trilogy set in a post-apocalyptic metro of Mosca. I played all the videogames so I wanted to know how the original story was. Half great, half repetitive and boring :/

My 2021 February Reading Shelf

Classic: WAR AND PEACE, in italian "GUERRA E PACE"

Modern Classic: TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, in italian "IL BUIO OLTRE LA SIEPE"

Karenina was really good, Ivan Ilitch too

Kapetria:

Karenina was really good, Ivan Ilitch too

Karenina is on my ptr

penel:

I've heard about  "METRO 2033" some years ago, but you're making me hesitant to add it in my PTR list :)

Both of your picks are great! On the heavy philosophical, historical and emotional side, but really worth reading! 

It’s well written, the concept is treated in a different way than usual, not only because of its setting in the metro of Mosca, but also for mixing realistic scenarios of human life evolution and the “supernatural” elements caused by radiations/chemical weapons. Unfortunately is very long and different chapters end up being just a repetition of the same situations/story but with different characters. At first I was very into it, but on the long run I forced myself to finish it. 

Poia:

It’s well written, the concept is treated in a different way than usual, not only because of its setting in the metro of Mosca, but also for mixing realistic scenarios of human life evolution and the “supernatural” elements caused by radiations/chemical weapons. Unfortunately is very long and different chapters end up being just a repetition of the same situations/story but with different characters. At first I was very into it, but on the long run I forced myself to finish it. 

Thanks for the heads-up :)

January Completed Reads:

The Silver Chair (Narnia Book 5) - As always, CS Lewis' writing style is really beautiful. Though I really didn't like this book because I found it boring and I was still getting used to the new character introduced. Maybe I am not well-versed with the bible but I found less allegories on this one.

The Last Battle (Narnia Book 6) - This book has some messed up imagery for children. Also, CS Lewis went full Bible allegory with this one. Though, I really like this book since it has darker themes compared to the previous books.   

Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo sure knows how to write characters and their relationships really well. The pacing of the first half was a bit slow but the second half made up for it. Each character has a past and it's interesting to see their character arcs. I've grown out my love for YA since I don't like dystopias and edgy stuff but this book made me want to check out YA again. 

February TBR:

Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo - currently 13% in.

Chasing Hurricane by SerialSleeper - currently in page 12. This book was a challenge to read since this book is out of my comfort zone as I usually read books in the English language so I set this aside. 

Artemis Fowl 3 - The Eternity Code by Eoin Colfer. I had to pause reading this because poor Butler :{

Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - currently 41% in. I read this in audiobook format since I am not comfortable with Leroux's writing style and I usually don't really books of the genre this book belongs to. 

I am not putting much since I am a very slow reader.

I also read web novels (my guilty pleasure) but I already forgot the titles and when I completed them. 

Thanks for organizing this, @penel. I hope this can motivate me to get back to my reading habit.

For February, I'm reading Paris 1919 by Margaret MacMillan, which I had started in December and have yet to finish. It's about the Paris Peace Conference, after the end of World War I.

kura2ninja:

Thanks for organizing this, @penel. I hope this can motivate me to get back to my reading habit.

For February, I'm reading Paris 1919 by Margaret MacMillan, which I had started in December and has yet to finish. It's about the Paris Peace Conference, after the end of World War I.

Glad you joined us! We all need each other's encouragement to  return to our old reading habits ^^

A bit heavy on history for my taste, but my hubby would love it! I'll let him know about it :)

I have read 0 pages today XD